Vancouver Olympic Media Updates

Should tell you the TV schedule for all of Canada includes the NBC, MSNBC, and CNBC's as well. Didn't know this until then but I noticed TSN2 was taking part as the outlet for the TSN encore presentations the day before. Look for TSN2 to be a player for London. To be continued...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That ever popular Beijing's Some Olympic TV Updates now has a Vancouver remix for all of us to enjoy! Let's start with, who else?, our hosts from north of the US border. If you been reading the pre

CTV British Columbia does it again with a massive array of TV promos centering on Vancouver residents with Bill Good and Pamela Martin. Last week, Belgium'

...And CTV BC still kept coming with those Olympic promos immediately in the afterglow! "Blkjock81" did a nice arrangement using the CTV 2010 B

I'm back! Been at least a few weeks since I last wrote here. I'll bring the complete Canadian TV schedule after the fact tomorrow from Channel Canada for those who couldn't get copies made from the CTV Olympics or RDSOlympiques website, among other things.

For this, I'll post some videos.

Until tonight, I haven't had a chance to see the CTV opening of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics coverage. This is more for those who live outside of Canada's borders. Obviously, this got a Canadian feel to get Canadian viewers to watch and follow their own. See if you can recognize any of them. I can see a few. And, yes, the "I Believe" theme is all over this. It's nicely well done with nods to the maple leaf portion of the CTV Believe logo as the Canadians cheer their athletes on. Surely it's the same for V, RDS, TSN, Rogers Sportsnet, OLN, APTN, and OMNI with the logo being replaced.

CTV Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics TV Intro

Too bad we outside of Canada can't get direct access to the Vancouver DVD set straight from the CTV Believe store--orders must come within Canada :( . Nonetheless, here's the commercial promoting that AND the commemorative Vancouver Winter Olympic/Paralympic book ready to hit in weeks. Make mine Blu-Ray!

CTV Olympic DVD set commercial

The CTV pre-Opening Ceremony intro shown hyping up the crescendo for the Canadians. Surely CTV took a page of NBC's intros to the Opening Ceremonies. Yes, they hype up the Canadian athletes. The French version shown on V, RDS, RIS Info Sport, and APTN is very much exactly the same thing with French narration (Marcel Sabourin) and some different scenes. For example, in that the French Canadian Olympians like Joannie Rochette (belated condolences and prayers on her late mother's tragic passing), Alexandre Biloadeau, and Karina Roberge commenting on their hopes to hear O Canada at the medal stand.

English Intro

Hope you Canadians recorded about everything from those channels and online when you have. Because if I read the CTV press release correctly, all of the on demand stuff of 750 hours in English and French will be gone after March 30. It's a shame that it has to be that way, maybe it should go for taking the route that NBC does in theirs--like having access to that footage for approximately two years afterwards (if not a year)...

The CTV intro to the Olympic coverage is really nice. But clearly it's waaay too pro-Canadian in tone and look. CBC/SRC was never like this in their intros; theirs featured generic and unspecific athletes (or models posing as athletes) in them. I must mention the TSN intro is exactly like CTV's only shorter. Furthermore, I can't find the OMNI, APTN (the Aboriginal languages), and ATN. Then again, I can presume the intro, if telecast there, would be in English.

I promised I will give you the complete TV guide from the recently-completed Vancouver Winter Olympics from the Channel Canada links. It has all the channels from CTV, V, TSN, RDS, Rogers Sportsnet, OLN, RDS Info Sports, OMNI, APTN, ATN, and MuchMusic. It also contains the listings from NBC, MSNBC, USA, and CNBC. I was surprised by this, not by NBC, but of the inclusion of USA, MSNBC, and CNBC. You may remeber that if you tried to watch the Beijing coverage from those MS/CNBC networks in Canada, all of that would be blacked out (there's no USA Network in Canada on their cable systems, as far as I know). So perhaps there was a change of heart this time around. If you were a Vancouver-Whistler resident, you're lucky to get CITV (CTV), Seattle's KING (NBC), and CHUM (OMNI BC) on TV. I hoped to give you this last night, but I didn't have a lot of time then. Unlike the viewer's guide on CTVolympics.ca or RDSolympiques.ca, it does not contain the Internet streams like perhaps the medal ceremonies and exclusive Team Canada hockey practices. Nor the Olympic documentaries. On the other hand, the events were also shown for the most partshown in their entirety with no commercial breaks. So I'm wondering to all you Canucks up there, how annoying were those commercial breaks from the Men's ski jump qualification/Before the Opening Ceremony to the Closing Ceremony? With the men's Team Canada games there was no commercial interruption, I can safely assume.

Olympic Day 1

Olympic Day 2

Olympic Day 3

Olympic Day 4

Olympic Day 5

Olympic Day 6

Olympic Day 7

Olympic Day 8

Olympic Day 9

Olympic Day 10

Olympic Day 11

Olympic Day 12

Olympic Day 13

Olympic Day 14

Olympic Day 15

Olympic Day 16

Olympic Day 17

Well, it turns out that the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympic Opening Ceremonies was shown on TV. Just not on CTV but at the LiveCity Vancouver Yaletown gathering as with other recent past Opening Ceremonies...and they were no more than an hour long. I can also assume that the Vancouver Olympic Preview Show, at least the portion involving Tamara Taggart, Ben Mulroney, Jully Black, and the Canadian Tenors, was shown live on all the channels.

Based on some observations online like over at Canadian Sports Fan blog, among others, I read there that CTV obviously tried to fuse NBC's notorious and oft-criticized qualities when airing the Olympics (jingoism, weaving narratives, and pre-packaging) and that what CBC did (focusing on the competition); it will, while show more action than narrative, "probrably a bit more scripted", to quote the blog. Adding that Brian Williams was behaving like when he was at CBC and utilizing opaque bugs. The blogger raves about Williams and CTV Nightly News anchor Lloyd Robertson being together at the Opening Ceremony, adding it was like Williams and Peter Mansbridge back on the CBC. Just about every event was shown at least in English and live once on the English portion of the networks. No surprise OLN focused on the nordic, sliding, snowboarding, and aerial sports, living up to its name. And the big events get shown on CTV like the figure skating when it got toward the end. Every hockey game, men's and women's, was just about shown at least on English TV. With that, Canadians critiques the CTV Olympic coverage in the early going and then in the midterm portion of the Games (with help from commentators like John Grimsley). Rob Black, Rod Smith, the hockey coverage overall, Rod Faulds,Brian Stemmle, and David Pelletier earning raves. Vic Rauters, Percy Lowe, and the Rogers Sportsnet desk blondes get blasted. It would be nice if there was greater acknowledgement of the Quebecois involvement, as they comment on the Opening Ceremony.

On the other hand, the events were also shown for the most partshown in their entirety with no commercial breaks. So I'm wondering to all you Canucks up there, how annoying were those commercial breaks from the Men's ski jump qualification/Before the Opening Ceremony to the Closing Ceremony? With the men's Team Canada games there was no commercial interruption, I can safely assume.

There were very few commercials during coverage on TSN and Sportsnet. However, there was times where CTV and TSN or Sportsnet were showing the same thing and CTV would go to break and Sportsnet would continue coverage. However, when CTV was showing something exclusively, there wasn't many commercials. Canada's hockey games did have commercials, 2-3 30-60 second breaks a period. That would equate to about what TSN does for their international hockey coverage.

Well, it turns out that the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympic Opening Ceremonies was shown on TV. Just not on CTV but at the LiveCity Vancouver Yaletown gathering as with other recent past Opening Ceremonies...and they were no more than an hour long. I can also assume that the Vancouver Olympic Preview Show, at least the portion involving Tamara Taggart, Ben Mulroney, Jully Black, and the Canadian Tenors, was shown live on all the channels.

I'm not quite sure what you are talking about, but I am quite sure that it wasn't on Canadian TV. During the 2-hour CTV Preview show all CTV aired was a few pieces on the Georgian luger who died, a preview of the Opening Ceremony, a preview of some of the events and a preview of their Olympic coverage. I don't think they showed anything from B.C. Place, except for interviews and a preview of the Ceremony, until 5:00pm PT.

Vic Rauters, Percy Lowe, and the Rogers Sportsnet desk blondes get blasted.

The Sportsnet blondes improved as the Games went on. And blasting Rauter is just something I do, mostly jokingly because he comes across as if he knows nothing about curling, when in fact he knows a lot. I don't most people in Canada would take my criticism of Rauter seriously, so others shouldn't either.

Thanks for turning up, CanadianSportsFan! I just only now after Vancouver started to read your great blog about sports on Canadian TV. I have soem more questions and comments to discuss with you, but I'll do that (and other thoughts) later. Perhaps tomorrow.

Sounds good Durban Sandshark. I've read these forums for a couple years now (since around Beijing 2008), but never posted before.

OK. Here I go...

What are your thoughts (and/or some of others) on the V (TQS), RDS, and RDS Info Sports' portion of the Vancouver coverage and of its sportscaster team, including Claude Mailhot, Michel Bergeron, Jean-Luc Brassard, and Daniele Sauvengeau, if you have? Did you pay attention to their commercial breaks like with the English ones? Were they like the English ones with French voiceovers. Did you do likewise with OMNI, APTN, and ATN? I personally wish here in the United States with NBC (or any other TV outlets that will hold the future rights) would work out something to make future Olympic telecasts to be more multilingual along with Spanish. Alas, it all comes down to the money and the sizeable market they have. I figured it would just do commercials in-between periods with the analysis from the panel

That LiveCity Yaletown showing of the Calgary Winter Olympics was just that, a mass showing to get ready for Vancouver. Not intended for telecast. It likely may have been the world feed of it shown with no CTV commentary. If you read my past thoughts here, I was hoping CTV would add that for its schedule to get people pumped, and I know it was thought about among the CTV programmers in the hopes of reminding Canadians of the last Canadian-held Winter Olympics, something that CTV broadcasted. But perhaps with TVA holding the French-language rights to that, it couldn't happen, or it wanted to focus on simple Vancouver. Did the Consortium originally planned to show the BC Place Opening Ceremony preshow hosted by Taggart and Mulroney? Based on the some of the host nation's TV schedules like with ERT in Greece back in 2004, it did broadcast the Preshow (and Christos here uploaded some of it on YouTube). Of course, it was going to have to deal with Nodar Kumaritshivilli (as it was tragic develop and breaking news), the Olympic Games preview (also, according to the TV schedule, it was done on Olympic Morning), previewing the upcoming ceremony and interviews, the VANCOC doc and interview by Brian Williams, and the plans for the massive broadcast undertaking, the biggest in Canadian TV history. On the press release from CTV, it planned to do a "red carpet"-like interviews before the Opening Ceremonies. Maybe it didn't have time to get to what was going on inside since the airing was two hours long with plenty of time to cover all of it. Maybe it was reserved for or pushed to online only. Maybe it was indeed shown on TV, as the aforementioned preshow inside the BC Place was only a half an hour long. My feeling is, if you're the host and the coverage is vast overall, surely you can accommodate that. Why do you think it was just changed from Countdown Canada to the Olympic Preview Show?

How effectively do you think they critiqued the Opening Ceremony on Olympic Late Night and Olympic Morning?

Do you have an online schedule of what the CTV-Rogers consortium showed from its online streams of events that wasn't broadcast on TV from CTVOlympics.ca and RDSOlympiques.ca? With the immense hours of 4800 on TV/online/radio, surely everything had to been shown. I think there's potential with the APTN, OMNI, and ATN portion. Perhaps after digital TV hits Canada all over come August 31, 2011, it can utilize its TV divisions for additional coverage in more languages. How do you think which languages were selected for the OMNI and ATN channels for the Opening Ceremonies? Likely it's due to the size of the language communities like in Toronto and Vancouver.

If I could in the near future, I would like to make a multi-DVD (Blu-Ray very likely, 50GB) set of the Vancouver Olympics from the CTVglobemdia-Rogers Media Olympic Consortium for us Olympic fans here. Along with NBC's, BBC, FOXTEL, SKY SPORT/PRIME, and the like. I need to study the Canadian schedule more, I saved it onto my flash drive.

I'll try to come up with more questions as they bubble up from my mind soon. And other thoughts like about NBC...

Now, it's official, it was 212 hours for Austria's ORF 1. I managed to cut and paste ORF 1's schedule onto Microsoft Word 2007 (but without the times due to an inability to cut and paste). Ditto for Iceland's RUV. Still haven't got Israel's, I may have to ask via email. Matter of fact, I'll do that for other nations starting next month.

Okay here go the replies.

I didn't watch much French coverage, so I can't really comment on it. I understand French, but considering that basically everything was on in English (my primary language), I mostly stuck with it. In general French commercials are the same as English commercials, so yes for the most part they would be the same with French voiceovers.

As for the coverage on APTN, ATN and OMNI. I couldn't watch anything on ATN because I don't get the channel and I watched virtually nothing on OMNI because I don't understand any of the languages they were broadcasting in. I watched some of APTN's English and French coverage. It wasn't too bad, the on-site stuff was directly from CTV or RDS and looked no different than it would on TSN or Sportsnet. The studio stuff was horrible though, they had some skier who I'd never heard of before analysing snowboarding halfpipe, and she had no clue what she was talking about.

I don't think CTV ever really planned to show any of the Opening Ceremony pre-show from B.C. Place. The two hour preview show was to promote both CTV's coverage and Canada's athletes (which in turn would mean better ratings). Don't read anything into the name change, they probably just wanted to come across as slightly less Canadian-biased. CTV changed the names of so many shows so many times that it doesn't mean anything.

Olympic Late Night didn't have a host, it was just a replay of the Opening Ceremony and other events. Olympic Morning was nothing more than a morning show, like The Today Show or Good Morning America. The only difference was that it was centred around the Olympics. I didn't watch it because it was mostly fluff pieces with a lot of filler from MTV and Much personalities. Williams had high praise for the Opening Ceremony as did Duthie and Laflamme. Otherwise I'm not too sure what everybody's thoughts were.

All of the CTV, TSN, Sportsnet, V and RDS coverage was streamed online as it was shown on TV. Also every single event (including ones that were on TV) was streamed live without commentators. So to get the online schedule, just look at the event schedule.

Subchannels don't exist in Canada, so if that is what you are suggesting after 8/31/2011 it isn't likely. Expect largely reduced coverage in languages that aren't English and French in 2012 anyway, there just won't be as many people wanting to watch the Olympics. As for the languages selected for the Ceremonies (and other events) an educated guess would be that they are the most popular, but I can't say for sure.

And for what its worth, CTV changed their schedule quite a few times throughout the games. Any schedule that you (or anybody else has) is most likely not 100% correct.

Okay here go the replies.

I didn't watch much French coverage, so I can't really comment on it. I understand French, but considering that basically everything was on in English (my primary language), I mostly stuck with it. In general French commercials are the same as English commercials, so yes for the most part they would be the same with French voiceovers.

As for the coverage on APTN, ATN and OMNI. I couldn't watch anything on ATN because I don't get the channel and I watched virtually nothing on OMNI because I don't understand any of the languages they were broadcasting in. I watched some of APTN's English and French coverage. It wasn't too bad, the on-site stuff was directly from CTV or RDS and looked no different than it would on TSN or Sportsnet. The studio stuff was horrible though, they had some skier who I'd never heard of before analysing snowboarding halfpipe, and she had no clue what she was talking about.

I don't think CTV ever really planned to show any of the Opening Ceremony pre-show from B.C. Place. The two hour preview show was to promote both CTV's coverage and Canada's athletes (which in turn would mean better ratings). Don't read anything into the name change, they probably just wanted to come across as slightly less Canadian-biased. CTV changed the names of so many shows so many times that it doesn't mean anything.

Olympic Late Night didn't have a host, it was just a replay of the Opening Ceremony and other events. Olympic Morning was nothing more than a morning show, like The Today Show or Good Morning America. The only difference was that it was centred around the Olympics. I didn't watch it because it was mostly fluff pieces with a lot of filler from MTV and Much personalities. Williams had high praise for the Opening Ceremony as did Duthie and Laflamme. Otherwise I'm not too sure what everybody's thoughts were.

All of the CTV, TSN, Sportsnet, V and RDS coverage was streamed online as it was shown on TV. Also every single event (including ones that were on TV) was streamed live without commentators. So to get the online schedule, just look at the event schedule.

Subchannels don't exist in Canada, so if that is what you are suggesting after 8/31/2011 it isn't likely. Expect largely reduced coverage in languages that aren't English and French in 2012 anyway, there just won't be as many people wanting to watch the Olympics. As for the languages selected for the Ceremonies (and other events) an educated guess would be that they are the most popular, but I can't say for sure.

And for what its worth, CTV changed their schedule quite a few times throughout the games. Any schedule that you (or anybody else has) is most likely not 100% correct.

As an American who lives in an area with no access to CTV in any way outside of the Internet, I'm not terribly familiar with many of the CTV broadcast team save for Lemay Doan, Brian Williams, Robertson, Rod Black, Mailhot, Bergeron, Savengeau, Manley, Sale, Pelletier, Mulroney. That said, I learned a few more personalities over the years like Taggart, Pamela Good, and some other. Still a learning process.

Something that I didn't make clear with the subchannel portion possibility in Canada was actually more towards London 2012, where, at least in theory, the possibility of more coverage for the multilingual channels could grow after the digital TV transition. It'll be interesting if that happened.

Not surprised at all with the changes to the schedule, thanks in no small part to the weather in Whistler in the early going delaying the alpine skiing. That was one reason I was glad subsequentially that I headed over to Channel Canada and cut-and-pasted the Olympic TV Broadcast Schedule; it showed evidence of changes and noted them for readers perhaps unlike the CTVOlympics' viewers guide.

Let's get back to the United States. Once again, NBC, in the opinion of many like myself have dropped the ball in some key areas. Because of my work schedule during that time, I couldn't get to see much of it--and I still haven't seen much from what was recorded on DIRECTV's DVR, save for the men's cross country race, the pre-Closing Ceremony interviews and retrospective, and the Canada-USA gold medal hockey match. Now it's all deleted when I found out this morning! :( We already know and gripe about how NBC structures its Olympic coverage--reserving the significant stuff on primetime, in some cases tape delayed instead of letting go on live like with Lindsay Vonn and Bode Miller skiing. Not to mention the fact of West Coast delays. NBC really is putting a risk in frustrating viewers making it hard NOT knowing the results or the action when it occurs before showing, after it actually occurred. With all of the instant multiple media outlets out there to get our results from, NBC alienates potential Olympic viewers this way, spoiling the fun. The Opening Ceremony, as the apex of the Olympics for many Americans, got a 33 million viewer audience compared to the Canadians' 23 million on their networks. But of course, we got a helluva lot more people than Canada. So those numbers are a small fraction in what we watch on that day compared the Canadian version taking the lion's share of the pie. Bottom line is, despite our success in the Winter Olympics, even now with our record medal haul, no matter symbolic they are, we Americans sports don't really give the Winter Olympics overwhelmingly massive mainstream media coverage, dominating the headlines like in Canada and the Nordic European countries. Don't get me wrong: it gets big attention but everything is equated with NBA, NCAA college basketball, NHL, NFL, MLB as the big stuff. It's not so secret to us Americans who seriously follow the Games that NBC tailors its coverage to "the almighty dollar" to attract many viewers as possible like the all-important female watcher and the casual fans under its tent, not the hardcore fans. The main network is more into storytelling and weaving narratives, something that ironically started with ABC when it had the Olympics for years. But ABC was more into the sports coverage as the star than NBC has been, even when tape delayed (don't hold much hope for ESPN to accomplish that without some price tag when it gets the rights). Don't get me started on the filtering and over-advertising and then limit the coverage (despite having unprecedented hours with each passing Olympics). Can't really find any justifiable reason in my view to edit the Olympic coverage. Focus on the US athletes to get casual fans is fans. But also have ample time during the broadcast to educate them. Those without cable TV were disappointed, only getting clips online until the embargo is over for live events. Sure, the Winter Olympics are exciting, but, given our geographical and weather diversity and transience, even during February, significant amounts of people aren't gung-ho about the Winter Olympics like us here; sometimes it's the culture and the array of sports featured that are appealing. As you expect, if the Games were held in the US like in Salt Lake City and Lake Placid, attention would be greater nationally, naturally.

To be continued...

I know Pamela Martin, Bill Good, and Taggart are CTV British Columbia with no direct ties to CTV's Olympic coverage per se. But I include them anyway.

Azerbaijan's iTV likely aired 76 hours, some of it live, of the Vancouver Winter Olympics, if I read that correctly on their website in which the Azeri language is very much like Turkish. It tended to keep the hockey and curling to a minimum with plenty of figure skating, biathlon, and cross country skiing. Both likely were replayed to maximize the audiences to watch.

Looked at the CTV Olympics viewer's Guide at the CTVOlympics' website tonight, and there were some events that weren't televised on any of the Consortium's networks. They were pretty much the preliminary curling matches, both men and women, that weren't involving Team Canada. The French portions did air some non-Team Canada curling matches. The CTVOlympics Internet streams also was a home to women's ice hockey games not involving Team Canada like Team USA when it wasn't televised. They were also the home to the women's hockey classification games for two days like a Russia vs. China matchup. If you also noticed in the viewers' guide, the program start times and duration between the Internet stream of an Olympic event and the televised version for the same one from, say, Rogers Sportsnet or TSN, it would be off by 10-15 minutes. Could someone please explain why. I know it's essentially the same coverage, though the also-rans like Mexico's skiier Andy Himalaya could be featured that the TV coverage would not. I jotted down the times for those Olympic events televised only on those streams last night. Hope someone out there recorded them...

I delayed my thoughts on social networking and the Olympics. But I'll save my thoughts and finally write them tomorrow.

Won't really get to the social media as I hoped that I would do. I'm thinking later, sometime next week. However, I do have a major cluster of promos and videos worldwide that promoted the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics.

ARGENTINA:

I was shocked to just find out that TyC Sports actually was involved in the Vancouver Winter Olympics coverage when saw the following promo for the Opening Ceremony. When I read that ESPN Deportes won the TV rights for Vancouver and London to Latin America except Brazil from the IOC, I presumed, understandably, no one else would take unless a deal was worked out for free-to-air TV. Can someone clue me in and tell me that it really is? And what were the basics in the coverage?

BRAZIL:

Perhaps the opening of the TV Record's Olympic coverage or a teaser

TV Record Vancouver

JAPAN:

NHK's intro using L'Arc De Ciel's theme sone "Bless"

SWEDEN:

Like Australia's coverage of the Olympics in recent years, SVT has now utilized a coverage's sponsorship intro for its coverage featuring Sverigelotteriet, Nordea, Subaru, AF, and Bravida.

One of the best looking intro presentations to any Winter Olympics anywhere. That and the wipes to promote specific events were designed by Dogday-Design using CINEMA 4D and MoGraph module. SVT used timing, editing, and the cool post effects with After Effects.

I hope I'll eventually get the SVT Vancouver promos that describes wherever and how the athletes compete, SVT's cameras will be there to follow every step of the way.

THE NETHERLANDS:

Another really good Vancouver Olympic TV promo. For Nederland 1, Sven Kramer, Irene Wurst, Bob De Jong, Tim Dekker, and a host of other Dutch Vancouver Olympians are jogging their way facing the camera as monitors of recent Dutch winter sports glory are shown beside them and then they break out the large one celebrating. Produced by Schimmer Music Productions. I want that Dutch Asics Vancouver gear!

NOS Olympic bumpers. Continuing the trend of using the official Olympic broadcast intro of the games for its coverage like intros

Bumper 1

Bumper 2

Bumper 3

Bumper 4

The Intro to the NOS Winter Olympic Games coverage. Same style, music, and presentation like the regular NOS Studio Sport, only in a Winter Olympic version

AUSTRALIA:

More Channel 9's Olympic promos emerged since I last wrote about them.

Alisa Camplin

Australian women's skeleton team w/Samsung sponsorship

Shaun White

Promo featuring Australia's Winter Olympic gold medalists (up to that point), more Camplin and Bradbury

Ken Sutcliffe, Eddie McGuire, and Leila MacKinnon promote Nine's Vancouver Opening Ceremony broadcast

7 Day Countdown

Winter Olympic-themed promoting 9's programming with music by Kingston's Good Good Feeling

9's promo screen featuring Samsung's OMNIA ICON and Toyota Camry

Another promo screen featuring JetStar, Hyundai ix35, Harvey Norman, and Carlton Draught Beer

Nine's TV Programming Post featuring the Opening Ceremony

Another Nine Signpost

Brief promo

RUSSIA:

Like this promo from Channel One! Freezelight, a Russian graphic design company, made this one with freezelight, stopmotion, and time lapsing

Cahnnel One Russia Vancouver TV promo

DENMARK:

TV2

TV2 Sporten Vinter-OL Vancouver promo, music by Martin Harboe

Another TV2 Sporten Vinter-OL 2010 Vancouver promo

White Away sponsors TV2's Vancouver coverage

DR

POLAND:

Reklama (don't know what's that, review, I guess)

GREAT BRITAIN:

This BBC promo is about from start to the performance to the finish for the athletes. Music is "Hysteria" by Muse

AUSTRIA:

Quickie ORF coverage partnership of IG Passivhaus Osterreich

IG Passivhaus Osterreich

ITALY:

More will come very soon, headlined by Spain.

Finally, I got the profiles of some of the OMNI Vancouver multilingual broadcasters.

OMNI TV Olympic multilingual sportscaster profiles

Still couldn't find anything Sky and Prime New Zealand's Olympic promos, and we surely know they have. Ditto for YLE/FST5, Russia 2, SF/TSR/RTSI, STV, SKY Italia, ERT, among others. I'll actually get to Spain next week.

Went over to Daily Motion this afternoon and saw some additional Vancouver Olympic visuals. More with France.

FRANCE:

France TV JO Vancouver Intro (really nice, same music used for Beijing)

France Televisions promotes their Vancouver coverage

EUROSPORT

Short Eurosport star ID in-between commercials and coverage

Eurosport Winter Olympic 2010 promo

Finish Line (w/Russian)

Assorted Eurosport Vancouver 2010 promos and IDs

Another promo (figure skating)

Another Eurosport Vancouver but Poland's TVW's name tacked on in front

CPAC:

CPAC promotes its V French-language simulcast of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

ROMANIA:

TVR promotes its Vancouver coverage plans

TVR 1

TVR 1 Vancouver Opening Ceremony promo

TVR goes further on its Vancouver coverage plans on its outlets (shown on TVR2)

Remember all those comments I made praising CTV regarding its coverage of its host Olympics? That was more of reference, in retrospect, to earning monster TV ratings from the Opening Ceremonies to the men's Gold Medal Hockey Game between Canada and USA to the Closing Ceremony and to the hours of coverage. But upon closer examination and reading Canadian Sports Fans' Canadian sports TV blog and Vancouver Forum, I since realize there were serious flaws with Canada's Official Olympic Host Broadcast Consortium, principally CTV's portion, based on what I was reading afterward. There's plenty of weaknesses for CTV to correct for London 2012.

Posters at Vancouver Forum state that CTV's camera work was better than NBC, who overexposed with shots of spectators in the stands, washing out the special effects. Now keep in mind I, like a lot of Americans and those who live in other lands outside of Canada, haven't seen any of the CTV coverage, save for a smattering of clips from YouTube that aren't territorially restricted. What I will say makes it clear that for them and plenty like them up there, CTV's lengthy absence from Olympic broadcasting since the widely acclaimed Lillehammer performance revealed a lot of gaping holes and trying to come to terms with the present broadcast media landscape. I believe that the majority on the roster of English commentators needed more time and experience in sporting events leading up to the Olympics under their belts along with the dress rehearsal training in Agincourt. Alas, CTV did have the rights to those events. Its commentators, the posters say, spoke nonstop or utilizing "some dumb segment, interview, commercials, and commentaries". So much so that RDS, the French-language anchor, was considered better in the eyes of many. Various commentators in the CTV family, many of which haven't performed much sportscasting, let alone in the specific sports, got criticized for being dull, hard to watch, horrible, too focused on celebrity gossip and fashion discussion in their attempt to be hip and relevent. Jay Onrait, in particular, was blasted for his juvenile humor, snide remarks on several athletes, and his banter with his colleagues resulting in dead silence. Praise was reserved to Brian Williams because of his CBC-oriented professional ethics and behavior.

Many pine for the days of when CBC, an institution held in esteem for its professionalism, journalistic integrity in its Olympic sports coverage, held the Canadian TV rights to the Olympics. CBC talked to athletes immediately after the event is over by talking to not just the top Canadian athletes but other Canadian Olympians who were the also-rans. It would also speak to the top three athletes from other nations and contenders who fell short. Some sports got that more than others, though. For example, people blasted CTV's reporters on their post-competition treatment of Jenn Heil and Melissa Hollingsworth as callous and insensitive in their questioning in their failures to not win gold (likely due to the nation's pressure and craving to rid Canada of that dubious distinction and win Olympic gold on home soil. That and the Own the Podium program), adding that the former's disappointing performance in her bid to be the first home Canadian to get gold "added smiles to the Americans". Hollingsworth, of course, tearfully responded after finishing 5th in the women's skeleton that "I let my country down" with hers. Another made a decidedly-unPC comment on the Chinese aerialists "jumping into a giant bowl of rice" upon landing. There was also the scrolling brief bits of news, highlights, updates, bulletins of other Olympic sports events on the other English consortium channels, and the obsessive medal counts.

CTV's quantity in its oodles of Olympic hours was misleading, and I can definitely see that just by looking at the programming guide. I already mentioned of the repeat presentations and simulcasts of events, particularly of the gold medal ones. The volume was better than NBC but CTV, partly in attempt to get Canadians to watch and buy the cable sports channels TSN, Rogers Sportsnet, and TSN2 if they haven't already, was trying to split coverage over those sports networks to make it more 24/7 and make them useful to the Olympic coverage (recall that CTV Olympics press release mentioning complete coverage on the likes of TSN and Rogers Sportsnet instead of CTV). I can understand as a mainstream network, CTV, where most Canadians watch anyway, wanted to avoid prolonged coverage in one events so as not to dissatisfy those who are keen to watch a different one or more coming at the same time. Consequently, events get missed time after time--like NBC did, more on them next time. A good deal of those TV hours in its presentation could go towards women's ice hockey classification games and more non-Canada curling matches, to give a couple of examples, instead of restricting them to the Internet. Having an encore presentation of the gold medal performances and simulcasting select events like the ceremonies and the gold medal hockey on various networks is cool, but don't do it too much to dominate the hours at times. This is why we got DVRs now and on-demand Internet streams to cover them. Scheduling was an issue; no wonder the CTVglobemedia-Rogers Media Olympic Consortium Viewers Guide was delayed. In-between commentary was lacking, posters say at Vancouver Forum. Plus, I read CTV overdid it with "excessive" overexposure of the gold medalist, his or her performance, even interviewing the said athlete at an Olympic event he or she is attending, causing an unfortunate backlash for some viewers.

To be continued...

I'll get back to the commentary and thoughts regarding CTV's and NBC's coverage very soon. But I want to briefly make note that something that occurred on Monday night. In the pregame festivities for the Rogers Media-owned Toronto Blue Jays' home opener against the Chicago White Sox at SkyDome (I refuse to call it after its current name!), some of Canada's 2010 Winter Olympic medalists were honored and welcomed to the cheers of the crowd after a montage of Canada's great Vancouver moments from CTV. Not surprising since it's fresh off the Olympics in Canada and as being the only MLB team based in Canada (I wish Montreal was still there).

That aforementioned Vancouver Forum Olympic TV coverage thread: CTV or NBC

I'll look for more threads dealing with CTV, NBC, and other network's coverage flaws later.

Once again, it seems that, despite the fact these just-completed Vancouver Winter Olympics were at a more favorable time zone to the US/Canadian east coast, NBC utilized an increasingly antiquated Olympic TV programming scheme in the face of the Internet. At least with the Canadian Olympic Host Broadcast Media Consortium from CTV and Rogers, they showed everything on TV and online live and on multiple streams and channels when needed. I did argue and will continue to do so over how exactly CTV/Rogers did theirs, for their programming and TV hours were a little misleading because of the continuous repeats in the daytime and the gold medal moments. Not to mention the quality at times. But considering it was the first Olympic coverage for it CTV, I'll give it a momentary pass.

One of the big mistakes NBC did was not place the preliminary USA-Canada game that earned Team USA the top seed in the Olympic Medal Round, while it KNEW this could have a major TV audience, instead restricting that to its sister cable network, MSNBC. But NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You what NBC went to televize? Ice Dancing! As a mainstream network, it's trying to cater and attract as wide a demographic like that all-important female audience to nab for the monster ratings and justify the advertising revenue. Like it assumed that there aren't a lot of knowledgeable hockey fans who happen to be women, let alone having women's hockey on the Olympic program. I don't think NBC showed the women's gold medal game between Canada-USA in its entirety, if at all.

The programming structure, sure it may work when the Olympics are overseas (outside of North America) and can reorganize things to justify the ratings for the domestic audience here, is getting to be outdated with people getting instant access on Internet sports news outlets, the Olympic websites themselves (even NBC Olympics), and Sportscenter. An increasing amount of people, myself included, are baffled. Why show Lindsay Vonn's and Bode Miller's gold medal runs tape delayed on primetime when it could it been shown live in the afternoon. Primetime can be an encore presentation among other Olympic programming. As much as some Canadians may not like it, it did at least notify, if you had TSN, TSN2, Rogers Sportsnet, and the Internet streams, to look at the complete showing. As I stated in a recent post, CTV did what NBC used to do (still does to this day): jumping around with the coverage so as not to upset those seeking a glimpse of another event. You wish it'll eventually be live and have primetime programming bring in the casual viewers.

To be continued...

As a local Vancouverite, I was outside attending events or waiting in endless lineups. So, I recorded everything and am now just watching it while archiving it. I recorded as much as I can--CTV, TSN, Sportsnet, OLN, Much Music, CTV News Channel, CBC Newsworld, the local newscasts, and when it was a figure skating day, NBC, the V Channel and whatever multilingual channel that was broadcasting figure skating.

I wanted to clarify, extrapolate or dispute some of the comments below. Before I begin, I want to say that the Discover Vancouver forum is notoriously negative.

Its commentators, the posters say, spoke nonstop or utilizing "some dumb segment, interview, commercials, and commentaries". So much so that RDS, the French-language anchor, was considered better in the eyes of many.

Which is just strange, since the French-Canadian channels featured the same "dumb" segments, interviews and commercials, only they had French subtitles. And instead of Rick Hanson hosting the Difference Makers segments, V had Alex Despatie. And they had their own Queben doctor do the Super Bodies segments.

Various commentators in the CTV family, many of which haven't performed much sportscasting, let alone in the specific sports, got criticized for being dull, hard to watch, horrible, too focused on celebrity gossip and fashion discussion in their attempt to be hip and relevent. Jay Onrait, in particular, was blasted for his juvenile humor, snide remarks on several athletes, and his banter with his colleagues resulting in dead silence. Praise was reserved to Brian Williams because of his CBC-oriented professional ethics and behavior.

Jon Onrait was co-host of Canada AM (or Olympic Morning), which was basically CTV's version of the Today Show. Jon Onrait never appeared on any of the broadcasts with actual sporting events. It was shown 3-9am, local time, where there were no sports to air. Such critisms is like criticizing the Today Show for having Kathie Lee Gifford. It's not we saw Jon Onrait commentate during the speed skating.

Many pine for the days of when CBC, an institution held in esteem for its professionalism, journalistic integrity in its Olympic sports coverage, held the Canadian TV rights to the Olympics. CBC talked to athletes immediately after the event is over by talking to not just the top Canadian athletes but other Canadian Olympians who were the also-rans.

I am not sure where the critics thought CTV did not do this. For figure skating, every Canadian was interviewed after performing, with the exception of Joannie Rochette after her short program, which anyone could understand. Cyntia Phaneuf, who didn't even make the top ten, even got an in-studio interview. All three female snowboarders, not just Jenn Heil, were in the studio the morning after their event for an interview. Let's also not forget the endless fluff pieces and profiles of Canadian athletes years in advance on CTV News, Sportscentre and Sportsnet Connected.

It would also speak to the top three athletes from other nations and contenders who fell short. Some sports got that more than others, though. For example, people blasted CTV's reporters on their post-competition treatment of Jenn Heil and Melissa Hollingsworth as callous and insensitive in their questioning in their failures to not win gold (likely due to the nation's pressure and craving to rid Canada of that dubious distinction and win Olympic gold on home soil. That and the Own the Podium program), adding that the former's disappointing performance in her bid to be the first home Canadian to get gold "added smiles to the Americans". Hollingsworth, of course, tearfully responded after finishing 5th in the women's skeleton that "I let my country down" with hers. Another made a decidedly-unPC comment on the Chinese aerialists "jumping into a giant bowl of rice" upon landing. There was also the scrolling brief bits of news, highlights, updates, bulletins of other Olympic sports events on the other English consortium channels, and the obsessive medal counts.

I suppose the tone of the interviews is subject to personal interpretation, but I didn't think the journalists were particularly harsh. Hollingsworth said she felt she let her country down (she didn't), but it's not like the reporter (in this case, Farhan Lalji) asked if she felt she let Canada down.

As for the un-PC comments, I have footage of the men's aerials but I only have time to FF through it. But it's interesting they would criticize that comment and then hail the Quebec coverage, what with all the hooplah over the French-Canadian commentators' comments wrt Johnny Weir.

Anyways, CTV did interviewed many non-Canadians. On the figure skating front, they interviewed Shen/Zhao, Pang/Tong, Davis/White, Yu-Na Kim, Plushenko (they even had an in-studio interview with him), and Lysacek. I saw interviews with Bode Miller and Lindsay Vonn but I FF'd through them.

CTV's quantity in its oodles of Olympic hours was misleading, and I can definitely see that just by looking at the programming guide.

How was it misleading?

I already mentioned of the repeat presentations and simulcasts of events, particularly of the gold medal ones. The volume was better than NBC but CTV, partly in attempt to get Canadians to watch and buy the cable sports channels TSN, Rogers Sportsnet, and TSN2 if they haven't already, was trying to split coverage over those sports networks to make it more 24/7 and make them useful to the Olympic coverage (recall that CTV Olympics press release mentioning complete coverage on the likes of TSN and Rogers Sportsnet instead of CTV).

I suppose they wanted people to "buy" these channels, but most Canadians already have those channels. I would wager that the proportion of Canadians with access to TSN and Sportsnet is similar to the proportion of Americans with access to ESPN, if not higher given the fact more Canadians live near major urban centres. As long as you have the next tier beyond basic cable, you will get these channels. For most Canadians who really cared about this thing, this is not a financial hardship.

Again, how was this misleading? We were told that this would be their format for years.

I can understand as a mainstream network, CTV, where most Canadians watch anyway, wanted to avoid prolonged coverage in one events so as not to dissatisfy those who are keen to watch a different one or more coming at the same time. Consequently, events get missed time after time--like NBC did, more on them next time. A good deal of those TV hours in its presentation could go towards women's ice hockey classification games and more non-Canada curling matches, to give a couple of examples, instead of restricting them to the Internet.

Curling and women's hockey were not relegated to the internet. They were shown in their entirety on either TSN or Sportsnet. Was there a women's hockey game not shown? I had tickets to the Swiss/Sweden game, which was shown live and in its entirety on TSN. There were curling games not featuring Canadians, like Great Britain vs. USA and China vs. Great Britain.

No sports were relegated to the internet. Practically everything was shown on TSN, CTV, Sportsnet or OLN. Name an event, and I am sure I have it recorded somewhere. The only thing I can think of that was not shown would be some of the curling matches, as there were usually 4 games played at once and they would only focus on one at a time (usually featuring the Canadian team--if Canada was not on the ice, they featured another game).

Having an encore presentation of the gold medal performances and simulcasting select events like the ceremonies and the gold medal hockey on various networks is cool, but don't do it too much to dominate the hours at times. This is why we got DVRs now and on-demand Internet streams to cover them. Scheduling was an issue; no wonder the CTVglobemedia-Rogers Media Olympic Consortium Viewers Guide was delayed. In-between commentary was lacking, posters say at Vancouver Forum. Plus, I read CTV overdid it with "excessive" overexposure of the gold medalist, his or her performance, even interviewing the said athlete at an Olympic event he or she is attending, causing an unfortunate backlash for some viewers.

They did not simulcast the women's gold medal hockey game on various networks. They showed it in its entirety on CTV; ladies figure skating was on Sportsnet, and something else was on TSN (I think it was a curling match). Yes, men's hockey gold medal was simulcast, but what other sports were on at the time?

In 1998 and 2000 when I was in college, I had CBC on my cable system, so I had the opportunity to compare and contrast. Given that those Olympics were in Asia and Australia respectively, it made me appreciate the live coverage since I was awake often in the middle of the night. 1 of the great television viewing experiences perhaps of my life was watching the Opening Ceremony of the Sydney Olympics live at 3:45am, an event I knew that literally maybe only a few thousand people in the entire country could watch live. My 1 basis of comparison for 2010 is a couple of people I know who were in Vancouver for the Olympics. They told me that for all the criticism NBC receives for its style of coverage and how pro-American it is, CTV was way worse, including during the Opening Ceremony with constant cut-aways to Canadian athletes, even during portions of the program like when the Georgia delegation walked in and all eyes should have been on that. But specific to some of Durban's points...

Once again, it seems that, despite the fact these just-completed Vancouver Winter Olympics were at a more favorable time zone to the US/Canadian east coast, NBC utilized an increasingly antiquated Olympic TV programming scheme in the face of the Internet. At least with the Canadian Olympic Host Broadcast Media Consortium from CTV and Rogers, they showed everything on TV and online live and on multiple streams and channels when needed. I did argue and will continue to do so over how exactly CTV/Rogers did theirs, for their programming and TV hours were a little misleading because of the continuous repeats in the daytime and the gold medal moments. Not to mention the quality at times. But considering it was the first Olympic coverage for it CTV, I'll give it a momentary pass.

I won't defend NBC for withholding events they could shown live on the Internet, even though I know the reasoning behind it. They need to embrace that going forward, starting with 2012, because if they don't, ESPN is gonna come in and make a better offer to the IOC. That said, the television portion of the deal is not as antiquated as people want to believe (more on that in a moment). Just because CTV programmed almost 24/7 Olympics on multiple networks and showed everything live and just because that works in most of the rest of the world, it doesn't mean that's the best strategy in the United States. Again, more on that coming next.

One of the big mistakes NBC did was not place the preliminary USA-Canada game that earned Team USA the top seed in the Olympic Medal Round, while it KNEW this could have a major TV audience, instead restricting that to its sister cable network, MSNBC. But NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You what NBC went to televize? Ice Dancing! As a mainstream network, it's trying to cater and attract as wide a demographic like that all-important female audience to nab for the monster ratings and justify the advertising revenue. Like it assumed that there aren't a lot of knowledgeable hockey fans who happen to be women, let alone having women's hockey on the Olympic program. I don't think NBC showed the women's gold medal game between Canada-USA in its entirety, if at all.

You just answered your own question there. I'm 100% with baron, a preliminary hockey game (and to be fair, who knew how big the game would be) does NOT belong on a broadcast network on a Sunday Night when A) there's a cable network that can show the game in full without interruption and B) your standard NBC audience isn't as interested in hockey as they are in ice dancing. The total number of people watching the Olympics that night with ice dancing on NBC and hockey on MSNBC would probably have been a lot lower if the hockey was on NBC and the ice dancing and other events had been shipped over to MSNBC. The 1 mistake NBC made was not offering up more updates and highlights of the hockey game during the network coverage, especially once it became apparent team USA was on the verge of an upset. But there aren't enough hockey fans out there to have justified putting the entire game on NBC.

The programming structure, sure it may work when the Olympics are overseas (outside of North America) and can reorganize things to justify the ratings for the domestic audience here, is getting to be outdated with people getting instant access on Internet sports news outlets, the Olympic websites themselves (even NBC Olympics), and Sportscenter. An increasing amount of people, myself included, are baffled. Why show Lindsay Vonn's and Bode Miller's gold medal runs tape delayed on primetime when it could it been shown live in the afternoon. Primetime can be an encore presentation among other Olympic programming. As much as some Canadians may not like it, it did at least notify, if you had TSN, TSN2, Rogers Sportsnet, and the Internet streams, to look at the complete showing. As I stated in a recent post, CTV did what NBC used to do (still does to this day): jumping around with the coverage so as not to upset those seeking a glimpse of another event. You wish it'll eventually be live and have primetime programming bring in the casual viewers.

I made this point so many times during the games and I continue not to back down on my opinion. In the United States, you cannot afford to show a ski race in the middle of the afternoon when no one is in front of their television and expect a large audience to get excited about the Olympics. That works in Canada and other countries where the Olympics mean everything in the work, but that's just not the case here. You have to save those big events for primetime when people are ready to tune in for the night or else interest in the event will never reach critical mass. NBC learned that lesson the hard way in Seoul in 1988 when they went with a lot of live coverage and critics ripped them to shreds saying that they wish more had been on tape. I know things are different now with hundreds of cable channels and the Internet, but the Olympics are not a results-driven event like a football game or an auto race. It's the stories that matter. That's why after NBC had spent 2 weeks hyping Kim Yu-Na and she won the gold in dominating fashion, all you heard about the last 3 days of the Olympics was about bronze medalist Joannie Rochette and her tragic story. It's why when CBS had the Olympics in the 90's, they often not only showed you results of events that hadn't been shown yet, but even went into detail about footage of athletes they knew they were saving for primetime, and that was in the days before it was easy to log on to any website and find out the results of an event.

People tend to complain that NBC treats the Olympics more like a reality show meets soap opera than a sports event. Guess what sports fan.. the Olympics, at least to Americans, IS more like a reality show than a sports event. Maybe that cheapens what the Olympics are, but in a country with 300 million people and several popular sports leagues, it's difficult to shine the spotlight on an event that only takes place for 2 weeks every other year. It has to be made into a primetime spectacle or else the masses won't be interested in it. If that means delivering coverage that's sliced up and hours old because more people will be watching it, then that's a win for everyone. And I don't consider it an option to show things live in the afternoon then show an encore presentation in primetime because then not only are you asking people to watch an event that isn't live, but is also a repeat. Until someone can convince me (and NBC) that they'll get more people interested in and watching the Olympics by showing everything live, then the old formula is still the best way to go, and I fear that ESPN will dramatically change things up and it will be an utter disaster, both for long time Olympics fans and for the Olympics themselves. Me personally, I am dedicated enough to the Olympics that I'll watch them whenever and wherever they are shown. But there's simply not enough people out who feel strongly enough to do the same, and especially for a Winter Olympics, to deviate from their usual routine of basketball and hockey and such.

In short.. there are plenty of things I would like to change about NBC's coverage, but I am not confident that the alternative (meaning ESPN) is going to be better. And especially with them having lost out on the rights to the NCAA Tournament, you can bet they're gonna go all out for Sochi and Rio.

• 5 weeks later...
They told me that for all the criticism NBC receives for its style of coverage and how pro-American it is, CTV was way worse, including during the Opening Ceremony with constant cut-aways to Canadian athletes, even during portions of the program like when the Georgia delegation walked in and all eyes should have been on that. But specific to some of Durban's points...

I re-watched the OC to verify this, and it didn't happen. I shouldn't even had to have rewatched it to know that it couldn't have happened. As host nation, the Canadian team came last. There were no Canadian athletes to cut away to at that time.

Anyways, NBC cuts away to American athletes all the time during the ceremony broadcasts. I am assuming that's what the other countries do too.

• 4 months later...

...And CTV BC still kept coming with those Olympic promos immediately in the afterglow!

"Blkjock81" did a nice arrangement using the CTV 2010 Believe nighttime instrumental incidental bumper during the CTV coverage with the downtown Vancouver skyline aerial shots in the background at night, something to end the coverage with. Surely there were end credits after the Closing Ceremony, when Brian Williams signed off with the final rendition of I Believe. It's really nice. Something to chill over at night in your house.

CTV/Rogers has made some further headlines regarding Vancouver. Some of which actually deal with London, but I'll work with that on the London threads. Some involve Vancouver personnel. But I'll do that very soon.

• Like 1

On August 31, the sports nominees for the 2010 Gemini Awards, that's the Canadian Emmys and Oscars combined, were announced with the CTVglobemedia-Rogers Media Olympic Host Broadcast Media Consortium garnering 13 nominations. Here they are:

Best Live Sporting Event

2009 Grey Cup (TSN) – Paul Graham, Jon Hynes

2010 IIHF World Junior Championship Gold Medal Game (TSN) – Paul Graham, Jon Hynes

2009 Stanley Cup Finals: Game 7 (CBC) – Sherali Najak, Brian Spear, Doug Walton

Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games (CTV) – Keith Pelley, Rick Chisholm, Gord Cutler

Best Sports Analysis or Commentary (Program, Series or Segment)

On Home Ice (Aquila Productions Inc.) – Dave Toms, D.H. (Don) Metz, Gord Redel, Don Young — Aired on CTV before the Olympics

Superbodies (CTV) – Don Young, Les Tomlin

TSN: The Reporters (TSN) – Ken Volden, David Stiff

Best Host or Interviewer in a Sports Program or Sportscast

James Duthie, TSN TradeCentre 2010 (TSN)

Ron MacLean, Hockey Day in Canada (CBC)

Scott Russell, Canadian Figure Skating Championship (CBC)

Brian Williams, Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Games (CTV)

Best Sports Analyst

Catriona Le May Doan, Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games (CTV)

Glen Suitor, 2009 Grey Cup (TSN)

Ray Turnbull, 2010 Tim Hortons Brier (TSN)

Best Sports Play-by-Play

Chris Cuthbert, Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games – Men’s Hockey Gold Medal Game (CTV)

Chris Cuthbert, 2009 Grey Cup (TSN)

Rod Smith, Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games – Long Track Speed Skating (CTV)

Best Sports Reporting

James Cybulski, Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games (CTV)

Darren Dreger, SportsCentre – The Firing of Paul Kelly (TSN)

Elliotte Friedman, 2010 NHL Winter Classic (CBC)

Best Sportscaster/Anchor

James Duthie, 2010 Olympic Winter Games (CTV)

Shane Foxman, CBC News Vancouver (CBC)

Jay Onrait, SportsCentre (CTV/TSN)

Brian Williams, 2010 Olympic Winter Games (CTV)

Best Direction in a Live Sporting Event

Christopher Elias, Canadian Figure Skating Championship (CBC)

Ron Forsyth, 2009 Stanley Cup Finals Game 7 (CBC)

Paul Hemming & Richard Wells, 2010 Men’s Olympic Hockey Gold Medal Game (CTV)

Paul Hemming, 2010 IIHF World Junior Championship Gold Medal Game (TSN)

Best Sports Feature Segment

Stephen Brunt & Matt Dunn, Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games – Closing Essay (CTV)

Robert McDerment, Hockey Night in Canada – Inside Hockey KHL feature (CBC)

Dave Naylor & Paul Harrington, 2009 Grey Cup – New Canadians (TSN)

Don Young, Carlos Esteves & George Saturnino, Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games – John Furlong’s Olympic Journey (CTV)

It's quite possible the Olympic coverage will sweep the sports catergories. For many Canadians, they ate up the coverage. Despite the criticisms it took in some quarters, I would believe, whenever you have massive amount of coverage, you have to be good, even if CTV hadn't been in the Olympic TV game for about 18 years. Surely, there's room for improvement, which I think that will be corrected come London. Also notice nobody from Sportsnet (that didn't have any association to the Olympics) or the Score was nominated.

Here's how Canadiansportsfan predicts things:

Predictions

Live Sports Event: Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games (CTV)

Analysis or Commentary: Superbodies (CTV)

Host or Interviewer: Brian Williams (CTV)

Sports Analyst: Catriona Le May Doan (CTV)

Sports Play-by-Play: Chris Cuthbert, Olympic Hockey Final (CTV)

Sports Reporting: James Cybulski (CTV)

Sportscaster/Anchor: Brian Williams (CTV)

Direction: Paul Hemming & Richard Wells (CTV)

Sports Feature Segment: Brunt & Dunn (CTV)

I want to send my belated thanks to him for asking the questions and correcting things here. I still got some more to ask him, but I need to think them back up again.

http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.com/2010/08/

Also in the Canadian Olympic CTV world, CTV Evening News anchor Lloyd Robertson, who co-hosted the Vancouver Olympic Ceremonies with Catriona Lemay Doan and Brian Williams announced he will step down as anchor of that news show in the latter half of 2011. Lisa LaFlamme, announced the day after of his CTV News resignation, will briefly co-chair with him before fully taking over in that span. Laflamme co-hosted the CTV Olympic Daytime portion with James Duthie.

It really should be the CTV National News not CTV Evening News.

EDIT: Robertson will stay on with CTV News with assignments on the current affairs show W5.

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly, the IOC only granted CTV the Olympic Golden Rings Award for its, not unexpectedly, coverage of the men's Gold Medal Game between Canada and the USA on the final day of the Games, the most-watched TV program in Canadian history that was of course simulcasted on Rogers Sportsnet, APTN, OMNI, TSN, OLN, and V, RDS, and RDS Info Sports in French. Plus online. Anyway, congrats to them on that! :)

CTV's Men's Gold Medal Hockey Game Wins IOC Olympic Golden Rings Award

Exactly the same opening, except for the V logo at the end on top.

CTV National News anchor Lloyd Robertson reflects on the 2010 Vancouver Olympics and what it meant for Canadians

France 2 looks back on the top moments from Vancouver from the (mostly) Vancouver's French Olympians

I haven't seen the broadcast advertising intro for CTVglobemedia-Rogers Media coverage, except for the end of that someone took a camera to the TV to record the CTV intro. It features Zeller's, Hudson's Bay, Royal Bank of Canada, McDonald's, Royal Mint, etc.

If any of you got the CTV/RDS Vancouver 2010 DVD (or Blu-Ray) set, don't you wish the "More" intro was on there, unless it already is?

Finally, Spain's Teledeporte's and TVE Vancouver promos:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co_P1oYXqBk

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIb-TfVJpsU

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6De2JetkocY

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA-g2PeIdok

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vaZAs3wlA4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgVgBC8aV3M

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PCF5cvFNQk

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P8cZxjpG54

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuH480fc78E

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh9xDWT4tXc

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSD-eF-nyT0

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co_P1oYXqBk

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d_qm1tPBKI

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4MD0lE-HSg

www.youtube.com/watch?v=o82WD1_5QNs

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jph0TiYDmTs (Paralympics)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWHf0CwwAlc (same as the last but from TVE and voiceover)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp9i-FoNu84

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYwhEy1rTA8

Noticed I messed up on the linkage for the YouTube clips. I'll fix it when I get around to them.

I fixed all the Teledeporte and TVE Vancouver 2010 promo links.

TDP general promo

Extended promo with more vintage Olympic footage

TVE Countdown 11 days

15 days

TVE promo

TVE/TDP's Vancouver 2010 figure skating promo

TDP freestyle skiing

Skiing

Ski Jumping

Snowboarding #2

Snowboarding #1

Winter sports

12 days

Winter Parlympics (featuring Guns and Roses music)

TVE Paralympic promo

Teledeporte Paralympic promo (same as above but no narration)

Downhill skiing

Promoting rtve.es' portion of the Vancouver Winter Olympic coverage

6 second Vancouver 2010 TVE ID

14 days

13 days

10 days

TVE Olympic overview

2 days

5 days

1 day

6 days

8 days

Not sure if many of us knew about this but there's an Olympic 3-DVD review straight from South Korea's SBS highlighting and celebrating the nation's best Winter Olympic performance ever with all of the medal performances from Lee Jung-Su to Lee Seung-Hoo to Mo Tae-Bun to of course Kim Yu-Na. Surely enough, the title is called Legends Of Winter thsat you can pick it up on eBay.

In this thread, we take great pride in the international outlook and focus on the Olympic broadcasting and other media realm; it is here that it became more than principally TV. The Internet and radio took greater stage here than in any other recent past Olympics. To really emphasize this home. I'm putting up the last moments of the Vancouver 2010 men's gold medal hockey game between Canada and the USA with

with calls of the Sidney Crosby golden goal from CTV in Canada to SBS in South Korea to Germany's ZDF. Sure it's linked before, and it's worth it again. You'll hear Sid the Kid call for "Iggy!" every time for Jarome Iginla to pass the puck. I like the French Televisions call for it--it features a Quebec man with the hockey announcers, so that explains the exuberance. A subsequent MP3 can be linked there with added calls from Ceske TV (3rd in sequence), FST5 (5th), TVP (18th), and NHK (19th). Would like to hear FOXTEL's call from Australia, which is missing. The FST5 call is pretty good.

Wherever the Olympians go when they go for glory, SVT is sure to follow them with their camera crews everywhere to cover the whole action. Here are two SVT Vancouver Winter Olympics 2010 promos exemplifying just that. Both are almost exactly the same with the same Johnny Cash-like music.

SVT OS 2010 Promo 2

Two SVT promos letting people know Swedes can catch all the live Olympic action on their cell (or mobile) phones with families and friends...and the sometimes unintended stuff that could be cught in them. The first one is available on YouTube, but the exact beginning is cut, which is why I didn't link it from there (actual commercial is :31 long).

SVT OS 2010 Mobile Commercial #1

SVT OS 2010 Mobile Commercial #2

SVT had to be incredibly very proud of its coverage because it resulted in setting and breaking new Swedish media records like 84% of the Swedish viewership (approximately 7.5 million) tuned to SVT for the Vancouver Olympics coverage with 35,000 fans on SVT Sport's Facebook page--Facebook is huge in Sweden--and up to 13 million viewing traffic hits SVT Play's Olympic coverage.

SVT's Record Olympic Coverage