Philadelphia 2016?

Again, maybe its you that needs to take a closer look at what people write around here.  No one said to have the USOC wait til 2024 or 2028 to have Philly ready for the Olympics. And no one said that Philly was going to come in and take away the 2016 thunder from NYC.

The only thing that Philly has to gain from participating in the 2016 contest is experience for a future bid.  If they're chosen as the USOC representative that's fine also. But if NYC is chosen and doesn't succeed in its 2nd try, that doesn't mean that any hopes for a future American Olympics are dashed.  Not only is that naive it's arrogant.

Thrillos - it's a wasted effort to debate.  Despite the facts that no city has revealed their plans, nor has the USOC officially announced we are bidding, some have already crowned NYC the winner for 2016. :rolleyes:

My opinion - Philly has as good a chance as any right now.    :unclesam:

oh please your just as biased as anyone......

and that's great that a Philly bid will get stronger each time it does...NO KIDDING every bid does....but unfortunately for them it's either 2016 or nothing probably for a very long time, and it won't be 2016 :(

Again you're not comprehending what I'm saying, but I can't resolve that for you.  Lemme just say this about NYC vs. the rest of American Cities, don't count your chickens before they've hatched.

And for someone who supports an NYC bid, as strong and as comprehensive as any winning bid ever presented, you seem to be the most insecure and confrontational when someone else talks about a competing bid city.

I don't think you comprehend....NOT ONCE in this thread have I mentioned NYC.....

my comments (as you are trying to do) can not simply be ignored because I support NYC....it is a fact that Philly will not stand up to many of the other USA cities in the running for 2016, and even if chosen will be no match for Tokyo, Rome, Istanbul, etc.

sorry, but as upset as you get and all the names you call me nothing will change this...Philly will not be the USA's 2016 candidate

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, maybe its you that needs to take a closer look at what people write around here.  No one said to have the USOC wait til 2024 or 2028 to have Philly ready for the Olympics. And no one said that Philly was going to come in and take away the 2016 thunder from NYC.

The only thing that Philly has to gain from participating in the 2016 contest is experience for a future bid.  If they're chosen as the USOC representative that's fine also. But if NYC is chosen and doesn't succeed in its 2nd try, that doesn't mean that any hopes for a future American Olympics are dashed.  Not only is that naive it's arrogant.

Thrillos - it's a wasted effort to debate.  Despite the facts that no city has revealed their plans, nor has the USOC officially announced we are bidding, some have already crowned NYC the winner for 2016. :rolleyes:

and that's great that a Philly bid will get stronger each time it does...NO KIDDING every bid does....but unfortunately for them it's either 2016 or nothing probably for a very long time, and it won't be 2016 :(

Again you're not comprehending what I'm saying, but I can't resolve that for you.  Lemme just say this about NYC vs. the rest of American Cities, don't count your chickens before they've hatched.

And for someone who supports an NYC bid, as strong and as comprehensive as any winning bid ever presented, you seem to be the most insecure and confrontational when someone else talks about a competing bid city.

I don't think you comprehend....NOT ONCE in this thread have I mentioned NYC.....

my comments (as you are trying to do) can not simply be ignored because I support NYC....it is a fact that Philly will not stand up to many of the other USA cities in the running for 2016, and even if chosen will be no match for Tokyo, Rome, Istanbul, etc.

sorry, but as upset as you get and all the names you call me nothing will change this...Philly will not be the USA's 2016 candidate

Let me clear some things up with you:

First off I am not upset.  It takes more than a trivial National bid contest to make me upset. As for calling you names, you deserve them based on the responces you've given not only in this thread, but this entire sub-forum.

Second, whatever your opinion of Philadelphia is, is your opinion.  You're entitled to it, but I could give two sh*ts less about it; and I'm definitely not going to go to great lengths to change it.  But claming your opinion as fact is (again) naive and arrogant.

But let me further clarify my stance on this issue:

1) I supported NYC's bid for 2012.

2) I would support a NYC bid for 2016 if they get the nod (as would all American members of this board).

3) But if circumstances arise that my city, the city where I was born and the city that I proudly adopt as my home, decides to bid, then I will support that city until the bid either succeeds or fails.

4) I don't think that Philadelphia is going to win the nod for 2016.  If you've read my posts in all the other threads you would have comprehended that by now.  What I have posted is that the city itself, is well capable of hosting the Olympics.  It has the venues, it has the infrastruture in place, and it has the support of the people.  Three key ingredients that are vital in impressing the committee.  

....but because its not NYC I'm talking about here, you disregard it.  Which is fine but you're not going to choose (thankfully) the US representative for 2016, and neither am I or anyone else in this forum.  Frankly no one who actually has a say in the matter gives a sh*t what you, or I, or anyone else here has to say.  So lets sit back and enjoy the fact that so many American cities are actually interested in hosting the Olympics.

Let me clear some things up with you:

First off I am not upset.  It takes more than a trivial National bid contest to make me upset. As for calling you names, you deserve them based on the responces you've given not only in this thread, but this entire sub-forum.

Second, whatever your opinion of Philadelphia is, is your opinion.  You're entitled to it, but I could give two sh*ts less about it; and I'm definitely not going to go to great lengths to change it.  But claming your opinion as fact is (again) naive and arrogant.

But let me further clarify my stance on this issue:

1) I supported NYC's bid for 2012.

2) I would support a NYC bid for 2016 if they get the nod (as would all American members of this board).

3) But if circumstances arise that my city, the city where I was born and the city that I proudly adopt as my home, decides to bid, then I will support that city until the bid either succeeds or fails.

4) I don't think that Philadelphia is going to win the nod for 2016.  If you've read my posts in all the other threads you would have comprehended that by now.  What I have posted is that the city itself, is well capable of hosting the Olympics.  It has the venues, it has the infrastruture in place, and it has the support of the people.  Three key ingredients that are vital in impressing the committee.  

....but because its not NYC I'm talking about here, you disregard it.  Which is fine but you're not going to choose (thankfully) the US representative for 2016, and neither am I or anyone else in this forum.  Frankly no one who actually has a say in the matter gives a sh*t what you, or I, or anyone else here has to say.  So lets sit back and enjoy the fact that so many American cities are actually interested in hosting the Olympics.

Yes, Philly has the venues and its location is great. It's in the largest Megalopolis in the World. The Midwest, Southwest and Southeast had their summer games. Only the Northwest and Norheast Region haven't hosted a Summer Games.

Plus, we can put Philly ahead of "some cities" as it has its venues within the Metro Area and would not separate the stadium for athletics and the ceremonies 100 miles away from each other.   :;):  :unclesam:

@NY2016

Exactly, I just want a games in the Northeastern corridor of the US.  Whether it be NYC, Philadelphia, or Chicago (despite not being in the Northeastern half of the country), I really have no preference.  I trust that the USOC will pick the right city for the job, regardless of the other international cities that are bidding for 2016.

I didn't dismiss Chicago, SF, or any other US city that is bidding for 2016 (that is nto NYC)..so that argument just doesn't hold up

And I always say to people on here that we say doesn't matter...no kidding....but what can not be overlooked is the fact that if NYC does in fact bid that it will not only have the technical advantage, but the international reputation advantage over virtually any other city that bids...will that win it for the city?....we will just have to wait and see

and don't get me wrong, I would love to see an SOG's in Philly (more so than Chicago even)...the city is awesome and is definately close enough for me to go to events....it has about the same amount of appeal as Chicago i would say internationally, and I think if they have the venues in place (which Chicago seems to be a little odd on) who knows maybe we will see them be the runner up...but I do not know if they will actually win, and how they would do on an international level

welcomes to the games of 2016 in phila what?

Welcome to the Games of 2016 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; more feasible than an Olympics in Cape Town.

Maybe more feasable, but less tempting for the IOC...

Welcome to the Games of 2016 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; more feasible than an Olympics in Cape Town.

well ya know, the older the entrenched IOC members (and their spouses) get (most of whom are based in the northern hemisphere), the less receptive they get to making those long jet trips to far away corners of the world like Australia and the tips of South America and Africa.  Think about it.  Why have the Olympics  only gone south of the equator twice?  I'm sure what goes on in the  minds of the IOC members-for-life when they're ready to cast their ballots:  oh no, I don't want make those 10-12 hour trips again.  My arthritis, my aching bones....  Think about it.

come on baron...the olympic havent gone south a few times because of long plane flights...there is only australia, and uh..well...at the time nobody else in the south could host an olympic games...africa and south america weren;t ready...south east asia had their issues.....if the IOC wanted a feasible games they would have voted madrid or paris for 2012...i spose long plane flights are a very small part of the reason..but come on baron i expect more from u..im always gonna support new york..but philly..urrrhgh

All in the eyes of the beholder, but unless you have an actual say in the matter (which I doubt) then its all for naught.

I totally agree with that statement (I have said it a million times myself to people on herea)....but we do have to keep in mind the some (not all of course) of the opinions of the GB members is kind of a "sampling" of how some IOC and various NOC members may think when voting, comparing cities, etc.

But I am sure Philly is well known internationally, and is probably I would say (with the exception fo Washington) one of the most historically significant city in the USA....making for a great opening ceremony if they did host lol

But I am sure Philly is well known internationally, and is probably I would say (with the exception fo Washington) one of the most historically significant city in the USA....making for a great opening ceremony if they did host lol

I would love to see a Philly Opening Ceremony!  What a backdrop of history that would be. :unclesam:

Where would the Olympic Stadium be?  Penn?  Lincoln Financial Field?  Anywhere?

I forgot to answer this question so lemme take care of it now...

Franklin Field (UPENN):  This location is the most unlikely of places to hold the ceremonies and track and field events.  First off, the track is more narrower than Olympic/IOC standards.  Second off, parking and logistics would be hell here; its in a university setting and surrounded by buildings.  But the view would be spectacular; the picture in my signature has a part of Franklin Field in the bottom left corner.

Lincoln Financial Field:  Has already been talked about over and over.  Despite being near the IOC capacity standards (68,000 plus they can still add seats) the playing field is too small to install a track.

So that would mean that another stadium would be built, which is fine because there would be options for post-Olympics use.  The city has been trying to get an MLS team here for some time and the stadium can be used for that or one of college teams around here can use the stadium for football or other sports.  The location would probably be around the sports complex in S. Philly, where Lincoln Financial Field is currently located.

Where would the Olympic Stadium be?  Penn?  Lincoln Financial Field?  Anywhere?

I forgot to answer this question so lemme take care of it now...

Franklin Field (UPENN):  This location is the most unlikely of places to hold the ceremonies and track and field events.  First off, the track is more narrower than Olympic/IOC standards.  Second off, parking and logistics would be hell here; its in a university setting and surrounded by buildings.  But the view would be spectacular; the picture in my signature has a part of Franklin Field in the bottom left corner.

Lincoln Financial Field:  Has already been talked about over and over.  Despite being near the IOC capacity standards (68,000 plus they can still add seats) the playing field is too small to install a track.

So that would mean that another stadium would be built, which is fine because there would be options for post-Olympics use.  The city has been trying to get an MLS team here for some time and the stadium can be used for that or one of college teams around here can use the stadium for football or other sports.  The location would probably be around the sports complex in S. Philly, where Lincoln Financial Field is currently located.

Lincoln Financial Field can be used for an MLS team.

You need and 80,000 seat stadium for the Olympics; no college football or MLS team in the Delaware Valley, can fill even half of of such a stadium!

Therefore, Lincoln Financial Field must be made into an Olympic stadium or forget Philly 2016 or any year. :(

Yes, on the one hand Lincoln Financial Field can be used for an MLS team, but on the other hand you can't fit a track into the playing surface.  I've been to LFF a couple of times and the way the bowl is designed it doesn't give much leeway for a football field or a soccer pitch.

But just because you need an 80,000 seat stadium for two weeks doesn't mean that you need the capacity @ 80,000 for the rest of that stadium's existence.  I'm sure a plan like London's can be instituted where after the games have concluded the capacity of the stadium can be decreased so that its more cost effective for smaller sports franchises and college teams.

Lincoln Financial Field can be used for an MLS team.

You need and 80,000 seat stadium for the Olympics; no college football or MLS team in the Delaware Valley, can fill even half of of such a stadium!

Therefore, Lincoln Financial Field must be made into an Olympic stadium or forget Philly 2016 or any year. :(

Yes, in theory it could be used for on MLS team, but because the Eagles signed a contract with Temple for the school to use the stadium for home football games, it makes it impossible to house an MLS franchise.  Philly is a logical candidate for an expansion team, but that is the major snag right now.

On the other note, an Olympic stadium seating 80,000 can easily be modified later and usually is.  Case in point: look at Atlanta which turned the stadium into a baseball-only facility.  The stadium is the only real piece that the city needs to add (except for a swimming complex and tennis center...both of which would be excellent additions to the area after the games).  It is very logical to imagine a scaled down Olympic stadium housing an MLS franchise as well as athletic (soccer, football, lacrosse or field hockey) events for some of the five major local colleges (Temple, UPenn, Villanova, La Salle, St. Joes).

I'm not that familiar with Chicago's facilities; but since 2011 seems to be the first step for the USOC nod, is it possible to extensively upgrade Franklin Field -- say, first step to meet the IAAF 50,000 requirement; and then expand it even more to 80,000 for 2016?  I mean with all the universities around, it looks like Philly might have a good plan (track and dorms) for the 2011 component.

Actually, I think Philly could put together a good IAAF-Olympic plan.  As Thrillos has posited, build a new stadium with a 50,000 seating base for (i) 2011 (and which would house a future MLS team -- and other use by the universities); and then (ii) put in an additional 30,000 temporary seats for 2016 (and then (iii) remove those after 2016).  Maybe this could be the new Army-Navy regular field?  

Both for 2011 and 2016 housing, maybe do it the Atlanta way -- use one or 2 of the existing campuses for the Village-- and add a few hundred rooms which would answer the 10,500 capacity needs for 2016; and then afterwards, become additional dorms/campus housing for Philly's schools.  

How many hotel rooms can Philly put together for 2016?

I'm not that familiar with Chicago's facilities; but since 2011 seems to be the first step for the USOC nod, is it possible to extensively upgrade Franklin Field -- say, first step to meet the IAAF 50,000 requirement; and then expand it even more to 80,000 for 2016?  I mean with all the universities around, it looks like Philly might have a good plan (track and dorms) for the 2011 component.

Actually, I think Philly could put together a good IAAF-Olympic plan.  As Thrillos has posited, build a new stadium with a 50,000 seating base for (i) 2011 (and which would house a future MLS team -- and other use by the universities); and then (ii) put in an additional 30,000 temporary seats for 2016 (and then (iii) remove those after 2016).  Maybe this could be the new Army-Navy regular field?  

Both for 2011 and 2016 housing, maybe do it the Atlanta way -- use one or 2 of the existing campuses for the Village-- and add a few hundred rooms which would answer the 10,500 capacity needs for 2016; and then afterwards, become additional dorms/campus housing for Philly's schools.  

How many hotel rooms can Philly put together for 2016?

Sounds like a really good plan...How much space is there aroung Franklin Field?

http://www.phillyphoto.com/franklg.jpg

It's a tight area, but it is easy enough to expand around there if needed.

Hmmm...  u know they could tear down 1/2 of it, thereby allowing the infield to be expanded -- and then create a whole new half shell of new seating.  That could easily bring it up to the 50-80,000 needed for 2011 thru 2016.  

Is there another practice track near by?

http://www.phillyphoto.com/franklg.jpg

It's a tight area, but it is easy enough to expand around there if needed.

Hmmm...  u know they could tear down 1/2 of it, thereby allowing the infield to be expanded -- and then create a whole new half shell of new seating.  That could easily bring it up to the 50-80,000 needed for 2011 thru 2016.  

Is there another practice track near by?

First off there isn't a practice track near by, but they could fit one in the field surrounding the stadium to the East.  Even if they could they probably won't.  Needless to say I know this area fairly well since Drexel is just to the North of Franklin Field.  And they just made upgrades to the infield turf with the installation of NexTTurf (think Qwest Stadium's field in Seattle).

Thrillos - help me with the geography here -

I used to go to trial in Wilmington a lot and would go over to Philadelphia for fun.  I recall the stadium right off the interstate as you were heading into Philly.  Is that where Lincoln Financial is?

I recall a lot of vacant land in that area as well (of course the last time I was there in 1997)  If it is still like that it would certainly be a big advantage over some of the other cities biddig for 2016.

Philly is a lot of fun btw.  Very cultural, probably the most historic city in the U.S. outside of Boston and some of the best night spots I have ever been to.  The only issue I had is that it, like San Francisco, is hard to get around as the streets are very narrow and don't seem to run on a grid pattern so it was hard for me at least to get around.  Other than that I really liked it.

Archived