Philadelphia 2016?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the games in Philly are more of a possibility than some people think. Having one of the newer sports facilities in the country is a huge asset and I believe that if for some reason New York was still having problems with getting their facilities in order Philadelphia would be great because of its close proximity to NYC and Washington D.C.

I think the games in Philly are more of a possibility than some people think. Having one of the newer sports facilities in the country is a huge asset and I believe that if for some reason New York was still having problems with getting their facilities in order Philadelphia would be great because of its close proximity to NYC and Washington D.C.

After living in Philly for over 10yrs, what you mention, close proximity to NYC and DC, I feel this is their biggest liability.

It will always be in the shadows of those two cities.

After living in Philly for over 10yrs, what you mention, close proximity to NYC and DC, I feel this is their biggest liability.

I totally agree, it's just not that. If you'll take a look at the Megalopolis that is from Boston, NYC, Philly to DC, the rankings for population would be NYC, DC, Philly and Boston. But, if you'll consider international recognition and awareness, it's NYC, Boston, DC and Philly, IMO.

Well, sometimes the IOC and others like it here fall for the "flavor of the day" scenario. I mean, who knows if the USOC will consider Philly after NYC or another American city gets the chance to host a Summer Olympics.

• 7 months later...

I was about to post about Philly before I found this thread.

I think Philadelphia is interesting in how it already has an area of town that's pretty much dedicated to sport. All the major sporting venues are in South Philly down Broad Street. Rowing can be done on the famous (forgive my spelling, though the Philly area does have some interesting location names) Schukyll River and the marathon through that huge-ass park next to it.

If a proposed Olympic Village near the Stadium area could later become housing for families in need, that would be great. The only drawback I see is that the public transportation for a city like philly is REALLY LACKING. I remember when I lived there that not was the  2-line subway system a pain, the upkeep of the stations was dismal. I may have high-standards though, because I grew up in the DC area, where the subway system is relatively very new and extensive.

Again, having all those stadia so close to the city center is pretty attractive. Unlike NYC, they're already there. I'm not necessarily a proponent of a Philly games, but it definitely has a leg up on venue location w/ respect to the city.

Again, all things being equal -- financing, contingency funds, etc., -- cache would then be the deciding factor.  New York City is New York (City).  It's in a class by itself.  If Tokyo and Rome are running, and you put up Philly?  Might as well stay home.

I fully recognize the clout that New York has. It is indeed a very important city. I will also reiterate that I'm not necessarily backing a Philly bid, just that it definitely has an advantage in creating a decent village with the proximity of it's venues to its city center.

That having been said, I just don't feel like New York is a very sporting city. Yes it has loads of professional teams, but I jsut don't associate it with "amateur" sport. When I think rowing, I think Philly. When I think running, I think the likes of LA or Miami. When I think swimming, I think of Miami as well. When I think baseball or football, I think New York... but sadly, those aren't Olympic Sports. The city just doesn't have an Olympic feel to it. Financially, it can happen. Logistically, it can happen. I'm just not sure about the spirit. I can't back that up, it's just a feeling. From what I've read in articles about it, New Yorkers seem less interested in hosting their games than other cities. (I admit though, that bad news tends to travel faster and farther.)

Is New York America's top international city? Yes, of course. Is it America's most Olympic city? I'm not so sure.

uhmm... The New York City Marathon -- attracting 40,000+ runners each year -- one of the top 5 marathons in the world.

- The US (Tennis) Open - the finale of tennis' Grand Slam?

- The Westminster Kennel Show -- going strong after 100 years.

Is London the UK's most sporting city?  Is Beijing?  Is Sydney (the Melbourners here would disagree)?  It's the whole package.  It's not just the sporting side of it.  Americans WILL pack the venues.  Hasn't any of the last 3 American Olympics lost any money -- regardless of location?

BosWash Games?

That having been said, I just don't feel like New York is a very sporting city. Yes it has loads of professional teams, but I jsut don't associate it with "amateur" sport.
Millrose Games at Madison Square Garden

National Tennis Center, home of the United States Tennis Association

Icahn Stadium being home to USA Track and Field  Hall of Fame

2003 Freestyle Wrestling World Championships

2003 World Archery Championships

2005-2006 FINA Swimming World Cup (2nd to last leg)

2005 NCAA Track and Field Regional Championships

2006 Squash Tournament of Champions (Annual Event - one of the most prestigious Squash Events in the World)

2005 Hongkong Dragon Boat Race (Annual Event)

Here are some of the events that NYC hosted.

NYC might not be known as an "amateur" sports city, but there are a lot of "amateur" sports held here whole year round. Of course, NYC is more known as a professional sports town but you can't deny the fact that NYC is not just a professional sports town, all of the known sports in the world can find a niche in this "tiny" town of ours.

Is New York America's top international city? Yes, of course. Is it America's most Olympic city? I'm not so sure.

Not an Olympic City? It's the only city in America where daily life is an Olympic struggle. It's definitely an Olympic City. Nowhere else in the world where you'll find the ideals of the Olympic movement are accepted and executed in people's daily lives, London would be another city that falls into that category.

Not an Olympic City? It's the only city in America where daily life is an Olympic struggle. It's definitely an Olympic City. Nowhere else in the world where you'll find the ideals of the Olympic movement are accepted and executed in people's daily lives, London would be another city that falls into that category.

Thanks for defending your point with some evidence. I was aware of some events, others not. I guess that these types of events fall into the unknown or are overshadowed by NYC's other assets, both sport and non-sport. I also looked at the link you posted.

However, I do think that the line quoted above is a bit of a stretch. I don't deny that daily life in NYC can be considered olympic, but to say that it is the only city in America to offer that is a bit much. I have lived in Philadelphia and Honolulu among other cities and have found life to be full of struggle.

Part of the olympic spirit is welcoming the world. I don't think any other city I've visited has looked on tourists with more disdain than NYC (well, maybe Paris.) Tourism is a huge part of the games. I'm sure that the very nature of the games would probably change this, but for me that also has a strong influence on my opinion of the city. Of course, I know that there are those in the city to want to show it off and welcome the chance to open their city to the world. But I feel that many think that tourists are pain.

can u even begin to imagine the awesomeness of an olympic games in new york?...the olympic stadium at night with the backdrop of the entire city? all these other wannabe american cities must forget about it...it is about the whole package and new york certainly can provide a games like we've never seen before..

As a Melburnian, I have a particular affinity for both Chigcago and Philadelphia (I have been told numerous times that Melbourne is a mix of Chicago, Philly and London), but NYC would be absolutely fantastic. NYC 2016 works for me; but I'd enoy a Chicago or Philadelphia games just as much. I support NYC though, because it is almost criminal that the capital of the world has never held an olympics and bloody Los Angeles has held multiple games.

NYC 2016 for sure.

U speak w/ forked tongue, barrack.  Seems like you're looking for ants under every New York rock.   :suspect:

Actually, I didn't bring up NYC at all. I was speaking about Philly in the Philly 2016 thread. I'm not sure why NYC was brought up, but it seems to be brought up in ANY thread about other US cities nidding for 2016. My apologies for coming off as rude. It's not that I don't want NYC to have the games. I just don't see why it is automatic that NYC would be the US candidate for 2016, as is implied by many here.

Okay, so just to end this discussion here... how about this...

I may not be the biggest fan of an NYC bid, but we agree that MSP has no chance? (Just trying to lighten things up a bit. I'll stop talking about NYC2016 now, promise.)

U speak w/ forked tongue, barrack.  Seems like you're looking for ants under every New York rock.   :suspect:

Actually, I didn't bring up NYC at all. I was speaking about Philly in the Philly 2016 thread. I'm not sure why NYC was brought up, but it seems to be brought up in ANY thread about other US cities nidding for 2016. My apologies for coming off as rude. It's not that I don't want NYC to have the games. I just don't see why it is automatic that NYC would be the US candidate for 2016, as is implied by many here.

That's just the way it happens on here Barrack.  Anytime any city other than NYC is brought up as a potential candidate it suddenly gets turned around and your talking about how NYC is soooooo superior to anyplace else in the U.S.  :glare:  :hmm:

No reason to be sorry, you make a perfectly good comment.

BTW, are you from the Philadelphia area; or are you just a supporter?

That's just the way it happens on here Barrack.  Anytime any city other than NYC is brought up as a potential candidate it suddenly gets turned around and your talking about how NYC is soooooo superior to anyplace else in the U.S.  :glare:  :hmm:

thats b/c it is

Actually, I didn't bring up NYC at all. I was speaking about Philly in the Philly 2016 thread. I'm not sure why NYC was brought up, but it seems to be brought up in ANY thread about other US cities nidding for 2016.

You actually reacted to what baron pointed out on what most critics and people in here believe.

[baron-pierreIV,April 06 2006,17:30]Again, all things being equal -- financing, contingency funds, etc., -- cache would then be the deciding factor.  New York City is New York (City).  It's in a class by itself.  If Tokyo and Rome are running, and you put up Philly?  Might as well stay home.

I fully recognize the clout that New York has. It is indeed a very important city. I will also reiterate that I'm not necessarily backing a Philly bid, just that it definitely has an advantage in creating a decent village with the proximity of it's venues to its city center.

That having been said, I just don't feel like New York is a very sporting city. Yes it has loads of professional teams, but I jsut don't associate it with "amateur" sport. When I think rowing, I think Philly. When I think running, I think the likes of LA or Miami. When I think swimming, I think of Miami as well. When I think baseball or football, I think New York... but sadly, those aren't Olympic Sports. The city just doesn't have an Olympic feel to it. Financially, it can happen. Logistically, it can happen. I'm just not sure about the spirit. I can't back that up, it's just a feeling. From what I've read in articles about it, New Yorkers seem less interested in hosting their games than other cities. (I admit though, that bad news tends to travel faster and farther.)

But before that post, you've actually mentioned NYC and compared Philly's preparedness to it.

Again, having all those stadia so close to the city center is pretty attractive. Unlike NYC, they're already there. I'm not necessarily a proponent of a Philly games, but it definitely has a leg up on venue location w/ respect to the city.

Just a suggestion, before you post something about NYC, make sure you have researched it. You'll hear a lot from a lot of NYC supporters here, like me... Be careful, I have 3 eyes...  :o

:wwww:

Be careful, I have 3 eyes...  :o

:wwww:

Is that what that smiley means? I was wondering!

At the risk of taking this thread WAY off topic, what would you consider the US's leading sports city? I guess some cities have more of a focus than others. Philly's got rowing. (No, I'm not from Philly, I just lived there for a year. I rowed in high school and Philadelphia was always associated as the leading US rowing city.) Boston's got some good rowing too though.

Oh well.

I rowed in high school and Philadelphia was always associated as the leading US rowing city.) Boston's got some good rowing too though.

Rowing -- which I think is one of the classic sports; and I look forward to any Olympics -- is relegated as a minor sport.  In 1984, it took place at remote Lake Casitas.  In 1992, Banyoles; in '96, it was placed at Lake Lanier; Schinias in 2004.  Were any of those locations rowing capitals?  Hardly.  But they hosted the Olympic events.  Because it is one of the more climate-picky sports (they measure the wind factor, the sun placement, etc.) plus requiring all that space, rowing really has to settle for the more remote locations outside very built-up, would-be metropolitan host Olympic cities.

Actually, NYC's projected venue at Flushing Meadows Park is/was probably one of the more centrally located placements of the rowing venue in a long time -- it's even officially within the host city's actual borders.  (The 2003 San Francisco plan had it all the way outside Sacramento.)  

You really seem to be stretching it, barrack.   :wink:

Archived