Rio Bid Book

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you don't like a topic, ignore it, don't post that sort of thing as it's pointless.

I was enthusiastic with this topic, but it became a war...

So, yes, I still think if people fight here this ttopic will get more and more boring.

If we discuss the Rio Bid Book, it will be great again.

Did you even read what I wrote? -_-

There's a massive difference between raising legitimate concerns and yours and Jones' suggestion that we have no belief whatsoever in Brazil and other emerging countries.

Again, find me genuine quotes (not the sort of wind-ups Baron indulges in) which suggests anyone thinks only developed countries can pull off the Olympics? Go on...

Maybe just Maybe London could set the Example of How to do the Olympics LOL. Did I see another set of cost overruns in the London Papers Yesterday ? and the British Government adding one trillion pounds of Debt on to the national Accounts ?

I have seen everything here from Niger Delta Militants for Abuja to the Rio Pan Am Games will have Blood running in the streets .

Why is it that when London Screws up it is chalked up to the games are so complex and then if New Delhi has their problems with 2010 it is the developing world is so disorganized ? And to MO the same thing is mouthed about South Africa hosting the World CUP. The Plan B and England PIFF. Aston Villa can't even buy a new sign for the stadium .

The Screw ups with Olympic Games have been indeed confined to the First World because the only two developing countries to host have been Mexico and China with China really being a developed nation by the time they hosted. 38 olympics winter and summer have been held and two have been in developing Nations with another two in places outside of the global economic system being Sarajevo and Moscow. After a century of Screw up being a regular thing in the first world maybe it is time for the Olympics to go to places that have only had them 5 percent of the entire history and have no had the problems that reoccur in the so called organized industrial world ?

Jim jones

It's everything that needs to be installed in a venue to conduct Games operations:

• Sports equipment
  • Information Technology Equipment
  • Any additional lightning, sound and power supply equipment
  • Media equipment
  • Zoning equipment (fences, portals and so on needed to separate athletes, staff, spectators, VIPs, media in the venue)
  • And so on...

That's why when someone says "Games overlay would go out", I am rather sceptical about the qualifications of that someone to provide any meaningful information...

here is exactly what I mean by Games overlay Which I certainly understand. Jeremie have you ever been involved in one single company dealing with any part of an Olympics ? Guess what I have . I worked for a Lighting company in 1987 involved in Calgary 88 and our role involved half of the inventory of that company and it was a relatively small company that was partnered with pretty much every lighting production company in North America for lighting the Calgary games.

What I am Saying in Regards to throwing out the Games overlay is in the absolute worst case things would change very very quickly . Until Athens 2004 the infield for the Main Stadium was your standard method of lying Grass Turf. Athens could not both complete the work on their stadium and lay turf in time for the games. Introduced in Athens at the urging of NBC TV was american technology called Greentech ICM which is a Tray Turf system . There is a perfect example of a Compromise that was made for the sake of the games by two International Sports Federations, Fifa and the IAAF.Now Greentech ICM is part of the overlay because it is efficient and allows an infield to be growth in a remote location to then be installed in two days into the Athletes Stadium . Greentech was the Infield surface for the Birds Nest.

You have put "and so on" The most important part of a games overlay is indeed the surface the Athletes would perform on.

Requirements for the olympics and the IAAF are the very same as the Class one IAAF rating for Tartan Track energy absorption. What is normal practice is to rip out the rubberized coating over the ashpalt and lay the rubber coating new with the Olympic "Look" for that organizing committees games IE the Beijing 2008 logo. an emergency case could have Mondo's technical people dispatched to test the track and if everything is in order they can repaint in the Games Scheme. The only problem is if you have subsidence and that is extremely rare in engineered stadia world wide. Who knows the entire concept of putting logos down on surfaces could be gone if the IOC was really up against it .

Not mentioned is the infrastructure avenues for the games to run . ICT and communications needs trenching and cable trays for for their lines. You have Bunting or decoration of the venues. In many cases for Bunting you could go from physical panels in a venue having to be replaced. Applying graphics to existing panels or covering over with banners can be done very very quickly. It may not be the gold plated Spec of the IOC but these things for the games can be done and would get done for speed to preserve the games. Who knows Bunting could indeed be scraped all together.

ICT is handled by Atos Origin and that equipment is recycled and up graded between games . Omega is the Second of two World wide partners from Europe providing the timing equipment that is recycled from games to games. These two companies would just be ordered from lets say Sochi 2014 to send the equipment to Athens instead.

An Emergency like in the case of Athens and the Main Stadium would lower the wish list greatly or rather readjust how things were done . Normally you are going to be new seats with the games as new stadia are usually the order of the day. You go into Doha , Kuala Lumpar , Athens or Beiji9ng and the IOC is not going to order new seats for a stadium 10 years old or less . That is a huge job of course. Aggreko is the Generator supplier to the Olympics they would have their container redirected. Same would go with Stageco of Belgium for many of your temporary venues and staging. The Wheel is not re invented with every olympics even with an increased scale. Today that Company that I worked for in 1987 could go from a small player in providing lighting for Vancouver to providing it all for Stage lighting and they are still relatively small compared to the rest of the world.

In regards to Melbourne lets face it the Olympics comes knocking at the door or the commonwealth games ? There is no question the turf would be torn out for the Olympics in a heart beat. THe Emergency case is going to go to an Athens or Beijing there is no question about that in regard to a London 2012 . London 2012 would be the emergency venue for 2016 if needed. jim jones

Maybe just Maybe London could set the Example of How to do the Olympics LOL.

We will come 2012, don't you worry. Everything's well on time even if it is more expensive than first thought.

Yeah you yourself who think Greenpoint stadium could be flipped into a IAAF Class one athletics Stadium in a Year without tear down half the stadium for the 2011 All-African Games . Mo you may read a great deal but your comprehension skills are not there it seems.

Jim jones

Jones, you have so far impressed us neither with your research / reading skills nor your comprehension ones.

Instead of insulting others, why don't you try to answer at least one of the rather simple questions I have raised?

Jones, you have so far impressed us neither with your research / reading skills nor your comprehension ones.

Instead of insulting others, why don't you try to answer at least one of the rather simple questions I have raised?

Maybe i don't answer because you really don't care to listen ever think of that LOL.

Jim jones

Maybe i don't answer because you really don't care to listen ever think of that LOL.

Jim jones

LOL all you want, the problem is precisely that I care and do read carefully your posts: whenever you post garbage, I mention it with reference to precise facts and sources; whenever you post something I don't understand, I ask you to enlighten us, which you never do.

Again:

- do you know what Games overlays is? How do you intend to stage a Games without Games overlay?

- any answers about the questions I have raised about your back up host cities list?

Q: Are the roads that will form the main BRT corridors in existence or will they be constructed and accommodate BRT facilties?

Q: What if there is a congestion issue on the Barra- Deodoro BRT route and the Barra- Copacaban route? Are there any alternatives?

Q: Have BRT works started?

Q: Are the roads that will form the main BRT corridors in existence or will they be constructed and accommodate BRT facilties?

Q: What if there is a congestion issue on the Barra- Deodoro BRT route and the Barra- Copacaban route? Are there any alternatives?

Q: Have BRT works started?

They will be constructed.

Yes, there will be the subway, that isn't in the bid but was approved and has the money already to be built 2 days after Rio sent the book.

Yes, they have.

"Rio plans to use condominiums for accommodation."

Is that even in the bid book? Have there been any other Olympic cities that have used condos for accommodation. We usually use hotel rooms (40,000 of them) and a few cruise ships for accommodation, but not condominiums. I don't know how many hotel rooms Rio de Janeiro has, and can they even build more hotel rooms? And I just found two vacant 30+-story hotels in the city, these should be renovated and put back into use when Rio de Janeiro hosts the Games.

"Rio plans to use condominiums for accommodation."

Is that even in the bid book? Have there been any other Olympic cities that have used condos for accommodation. We usually use hotel rooms (40,000 of them) and a few cruise ships for accommodation, but not condominiums. I don't know how many hotel rooms Rio de Janeiro has, and can they even build more hotel rooms? And I just found two vacant 30+-story hotels in the city, these should be renovated and put back into use when Rio de Janeiro hosts the Games.

Is the Condo part you are referring to in regards to the port development for the Docks for the Cruise ships ? I have been there and in December 2005 that was an old row of warehouses. I believe they are going to turn that into Condo's post games with Media having accoms their for the Maracana Cluster .

jim jones

And another thing: There would be a new exhibition hall added to the Riocentro Exhibition Centre for the Olympics that is to host the Weightlifting competitions. The bad news is that it is completely temporary. Why can't Riocentro expand by building the new exhibition hall, putting temporary stands in it and dismantle the temporary stands after the Games? And another thing, why can't the new exhibition hall be permanent? This reminds me of the 7 temporary pavilions proposed as part of the Paris 2012 Olympic Bid.

^^Mo, every time the Olympics come to a city, there is always a need for more convention and exhibition space. Beijing built a new convention centre and London and Vancouver are expanding theirs. Don't know about Sochi, they probably don't have a convention/exhibition centre. McCormick Place in Chicago has had enough expansions, Madrid probably is gonna expand theirs. I'm not sure about Tokyo's Big Sight. Rio needs an additional exhibition hall and it's not gonna be temporary. If it is temporary, it is just another reason why Rio 2016 has a terrible venue plan.

Rio is not Vancouver or Tokyo or London.

Not all cities need 60,000 sqm of exhibition space.

Riocentro is reasonably large, and if there is no demand for exhibition space post 2016 over and above existing space, then just build something temporary.

You can't call the venue plan terrible because its proposing a temporary building in a major cluster.

• 2 weeks later...
Rio is not Vancouver or Tokyo or London.

Not all cities need 60,000 sqm of exhibition space.

Riocentro is reasonably large, and if there is no demand for exhibition space post 2016 over and above existing space, then just build something temporary.

You can't call the venue plan terrible because its proposing a temporary building in a major cluster.

Agreed London has temporary Venues in the Main Olympic Park and much of the London 2012 Main Venues have temporary elements to them. The only thing that London has going against it really is making up its mind on finalizing things . We are more then three years into the capital phase and finally things are getting nailed down in London for the Games. It probably has much more to do with Planning permissions then anything.

Jim Jones

• 3 weeks later...

It is OK for an Olympic City to build a required temporary facility specially designed for an Olympic Sport and a temporary indoor arena, but not a temporary exhibition hall.

And one more note about Rio's accommodations: Should there be any condo-hotels or apart-hotels anywhere in the city to add to the number or required rooms Rio needs for the Games?

whats the different between a temporary arena and a temporary exhibition hall?

Its basically a temporary arena just built at the exhibition site to clusterize the cluster.

There is no problem with Condo's as long as they are guaranteed and are of 2-5 star quality.

Ideally they would be clustered and the relevant transport services are able to cover these clusters.

There is no problem with Condo's as long as they are guaranteed and are of 2-5 star quality.

Ideally they would be clustered and the relevant transport services are able to cover these clusters.

Well Condo units by their very nature are on the large end of hotel suites really. Just the Space afforded alone to a unit can make this the four star that is required for athletes village. Of course it is the demand for how many units that makes the difference between a luxury hotel and an athletes village. The logistics of Transportation, Dining and Administration services for the teams are the elements that are far bigger then a single five star hotel. No one would buy the housing units post games if they did not meet the expectations of a Condo if that is indeed what they are being sold off as.

The simple reasons for an Athletes or Media Village are that you would never have that many its one place available for rent during the games. Unity of Accoms simplifies operations.

jim jones

Archived