Rio Bid Book

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For some reason I thought the BRT network would be more extensive.

Actually, there will be a new subway line connecting barra zone and the south zone (copacapaba). It was approved this week and it's already under development to be delivered in 2014. They just haven't put it there... don't ask me why.

And I've uploaded it onto the bid library as that site is a bit slow (well it was for me anyhow!) :)

The Bid Library

Just click on the 2016 Bid Books page.

PLEASE NOTE - the files are secure docs and you cant print them sadly. Boo. Maybe the Rio site will put unlocked files online.

Just a suggestion... I found these links but it isn't the official version... maybe it'll present something different, I don't know... wouldn't it be better to wait till monday when the official site will release the bid book?

The first volume I see a very innovative thing right off the bat. Youth Involvement with SMS Text messaging to ensure no empty seats in the Venues. This could develop into domestic and worldwide Partners . Lets say the Official Texting phone was a Blackberry Curve and the Provider was Vodafone. There you have two possible new domestic or worldwide partners in consumer products that have not been used in the past.

This could also be done with a service provider's client list as an extra change to be on the call list or with GSM a Sim card just for the Games.

SMS text messaging with Bar Coding is being used now with ticketing for somethings. It was done in Melbourne for a hospitality suite for a Sponsor with the Commonwealth Games.

I don't know how much innovation influences but Innovation was part of successful hosting by both Los Angeles 1984 and Calgary 1988.

Jim jones

I looked through Rio's bid book and saw that the Marathon course does not finish at (either of the) main stadium(s). I want to know the reason why. The course needs to be revised. I'm telling you, Rio has the worst venue plan out of the four candidate cities of the 2016 Olympics. here's my ranking of the venue plans:

1. Tokyo

2. Madrid (even though they have a badly-designed Gymnastics arena)

3. Chicago

4. Rio de Janeiro

I looked through Rio's bid book and saw that the Marathon course does not finish at (either of the) main stadium(s). I want to know the reason why. The course needs to be revised. I'm telling you, Rio has the worst venue plan out of the four candidate cities of the 2016 Olympics. here's my ranking of the venue plans:

1. Tokyo

2. Madrid (even though they have a badly-designed Gymnastics arena)

3. Chicago

4. Rio de Janeiro

I have yet to look at the other three but can you think of any summer olympics with an Athletes Village 2 KM away from most if not all team sports training and events venues except Soccer and Volleyball ? That is quite incredible really . Wrestling , Judo , Handball and Basketball in one Building with separate Arena's

Waterpolo , Field Hockey , Aquatics , Track Cycling, Tennis , Gymnastics all Walking distance for the Athletes . That is incredibly simple. This is great fort he Fans of Team sports really.

Then you have not one event outside the City limits except Soccer. That may never have been done before or at least with the laundry list of events we have today.

The Reason for using the Sambadrome is very simple for the Start finish area is simple it is the largest Grandstand in the World for an Annual event that has never been used for Sports. This could have the impact of Cheaper tickets and operational pluses in regards to not tying up the Main Stadiums for the race. People also get to see on TV world wide that Sambadrome live. Brazil has been a bit restrictive with their releasing of Carnival Footage to News Channels for a while.

The Olympics is the exception to the rule in regards to using stadia in the past as the Start Finish Line for a Marathon.

To have sailing and Rowing venues relatively close to everything including JH stadium is incredible in the history of Summer Olympics. THe people who would stay on the Cruise Ships at harbor side would have the prefect viewing area to some of the Sailing Events. Sailing is usually hundreds of miles away. I know Chicago will have their Sailing in Lake Michigan. Basically what you have is a very accessible games if you think about it.

A rowing Venue between the Athletes Village, Aquatics Centre and the Main Stadiums ? Now that is something. Rio's Geography and Topography allow this probably like no other city in the World.

Jim Jones

Is it too much to ask for detail the OCOG budget component labelled "Other", especially when this forms 11% of your total budget.

Some of these OCOG budget numbers for the cities are weird. Fantasy land in some cases.

I like the Number at the beginning for Rio 2016. These games are backstopped by 250 billion dollars that will be used for the development of Brazil. If it is true that Brazil has that type of Funding in their Bank Accounts basically you will not hear the news coverage of Cost Overruns and running out of Funds for Athletes development for the Domestic Athletes. This is a Coming out Party for Brazil much like Beijing 2008 was for China but without having to construct a Stadium . 14.5 billion for Rio is more then reasonable for the games while Tokyo and Chicago has fallen into the very same trap many have in the past. Taking a Figure that will be blown out in the first 3 years.

There is no way Tokyo will do this for 4 billion and Chicago at 7 billion well hey they have more in common with London 2012 then a Temporary stadium.

I would not doubt if awarded Rio 2016 would come vastly under their budget and I am sure after London 2012 the IOC would love for that to happen

Jim Jones

Actually, there will be a new subway line connecting barra zone and the south zone (copacapaba). It was approved this week and it's already under development to be delivered in 2014. They just haven't put it there... don't ask me why.

So work has started?

Is it too much to ask for detail the OCOG budget component labelled "Other", especially when this forms 11% of your total budget.

Some of these OCOG budget numbers for the cities are weird. Fantasy land in some cases.

A much more detailed budget will be presented to the IOC Evaluation Commission during its visit.

The figures presented in the bid books is more than sufficient since I guess that 80% of the IOC members actually do not read the budget section of the bid books.

And yeah, fantasy land, London any one? (and yeah, Mo, we know you laugh at Paris swimming pool budget so no need to mention your content for Paris 2012 yet again)

Regarding, IOC requirement, the other line in expenditure is for :

- Host NOC marketing rights

- Domestic sponsorship and suppliers royalties to IOC

- Licensing royalties to IOC

- Ticketing royalties to IOC

- Contingency

A much more detailed budget will be presented to the IOC Evaluation Commission during its visit.

The figures presented in the bid books is more than sufficient since I guess that 80% of the IOC members actually do not read the budget section of the bid books.

And yeah, fantasy land, London any one? (and yeah, Mo, we know you laugh at Paris swimming pool budget so no need to mention your content for Paris 2012 yet again)

I was referring to the OCOG budget, which is different from the non-OCOG budget.

All cities produce fantasy land estimates, not just Paris or London or Madrid.

Its important though to acknowledge that all of them do it, not just the winning city who goes under the microscope.

Seems Rio's budget is heavily subsidized. Madrid's seems to low under the operation of sports venues.

Due to the recession of the world's great chances to get Rio organize the Games in 2016 are minimal apart from Chicago and Tokyo.

what are you exactly saying here ? I don't understand ? The USA is about to borrow Trillions of Dollars for the New New New Deal under Obama. The US National Debt will exceed the Annual GDP of the World's Largest Economy being the United States and Japan is not in much better shape having gone through the same exercise since the Mid 1990's .

Brazil however sits on 250 billion in the bank and has their banks not making the loans that have been made into the US Financial Markets. Their Investments have been in their own domestic Market preventing Capital Flight. This is the Country that just had two major banks merge to become the 6th largest bank in the Americas with deposit assets equally the Brazilian government's Foreign Exchange Reserves.

Chinese, Japanese and European Banks have all been stung by AAA rated bonds from US financial rating services that bundled toxic debts with those Bonds . This is why you might even have some Banks in the US slip bellow what this new mega bank from Brazil is for rating per deposit assets.

Brazil's Financial Wisdom came with much grief over time with many hits to the domestic economy. They realized two Things . One they have to product goods for Export and Two they have to prevent Capital Flight to other economies .

They have been masters at both over the last ten years while the US especially grew trade deficits to 700 billion a year Brazil has grown trade surpluses to 50 billion a year and would still be growing if it wasn't for the silliness of the North not having the money to pay for what you want in the so called First World.

Sometimes the ignorance just amazes me . People can't get their heads around the fact that many place today are not the same places they were in the 1970's 80's or 90's. Brazil by no means is a poor country and in fact has more in actual assets then most of the top ten economies of the world Which Brazil is included.

Jim Jones

Concerning the Global Crisis, I should say Brazil is in a very comfortable position among other countries. Our financial system is cautious but we're not crashing in despair. Yes, people are starting to get fired in the major factories here too, but you need to take in consideration that it's happening really late in comparison to the rich cousins.

I'm sure BOC will focus on that subject and our situation when presenting our bid to the IOC.

You and Jim might well be right that Brazil is in a rude state of health financially whilst the most developed countries are in a slump, but that doesn't really change the fact that Rio would still have the most to do of the cities. Maybe less so in terms of venues, but in terms of roads, airports and especially hotel rooms it's a way behind.

It's great that Brazil has a strong financial base from which to build this necessary infrastructure but the point is, it needs to be built.

You and Jim might well be right that Brazil is in a rude state of health financially whilst the most developed countries are in a slump, but that doesn't really change the fact that Rio would still have the most to do of the cities. Maybe less so in terms of venues, but in terms of roads, airports and especially hotel rooms it's a way behind.

It's great that Brazil has a strong financial base from which to build this necessary infrastructure but the point is, it needs to be built.

True. No one said it changed anything. We here in Brazil know well our problems, our weaknessess and the cost of being a country of dense populated not-so-well-planned big cities. But this is not the time and here is not the place to explain the historical reasons for all this trouble. We either want to use it as an excuse for anything.

When we talk about our economy we want the international community to drop that old idea that Brazil is an unstable, extremely fragile country that can break any moment. This idea was and still is used as an excuse when people turn their back on us. Some people are so tied to their old concepts they still think Brazil doesn't changed a bit in the past 50 years, that we are a huge forest with monkeys and starving people everywhere.

Rob from my visiting two of the Cities involved in the Rio 2016 bid being Rio and Salvador I was jolted by the 14.5 billion dollar estimate. It was not that they could not afford it or that it was too little . It was that they may have indeed hit the mark not being in denial that these games usually cost over 10 billion minimum.

Then to dig into the finances of the Country is pretty eye opening. Copper, Silver, Iron Ore, Natural Gas and Oil in Brazil, Then the manufacturing of goods from those base products.They have a Steel industry and are building 5 refineries for OIL. Food production and export is very big with Meat, Oranges and Coffee being products I didn't know they exported that much. Brazil is also heavily into the use of Natural Gas in Automobiles. You might not have a greener construction machinery corp. then RIO 2016's simply because the delivery infrastructure is at every Petrobras station.

Then you have Brazilian Companies buying Canadian Giant Companies like Labatts and INco. Inco was one of the largest companies for Nickel Production.

I watched a report on a Boat Show in San Paulo and the show did 85 million US dollars in pleasure craft sales mostly to the new growing Middle Class. Brazil is not the EU, China or America but their economy is certainly on the rise. 7 years ago they had a trade deficit every years since then they had grown trade surpluses.

Think about it this way Rob. London and Chicago both have to build Athletics Stadiums of 80000 to meet the requirements to host the opening and closing ceremonies. The RIO 2016 bid for the main athletes stadium is JH Stadium with an increase of 15000 seats making it 60000 seats. The ease of having Maracana with a playing surface that can stage an opening ceremonies makes this possible along with the Masterplan for JH stadium. Not poking London 2012 but literally in regards to JH Stadium they could get the green light on October 2nd and have the stadium ready in the games Overlay for that venue before the London 2012 stadium was complete and in an extreme case beat London 2012 by two years. Adding the 15000 seats is not a big deal considering the concrete supports are there in place per the design. I thought the requirement was 80,000 seats or nothing for the Olympics but apparently not as Madrid's main Stadium for Athletics is not going to be 80000 seats.

Chicago , even with the history of cost controls for United States hosted Games, may be the more open to Media exposure if things go wrong for the IOC with a more elements to build like the Main Stadium . I don't think they can actually make a stadium at the price they are claiming in Chicago and they have certainly not taken the lessons from the revamping of the Soldier Field in Chicago which was double the price of the proposed 2016 stadium for a Revamping. Soldier Field went way over budget as well for the Revamp a couple of Years ago.

Subways and Transportation systems go over budget in normal cases worldwide but have an everyday use positive for the citizens. Stadiums and Athletes Villages are viewed on very differently as it is a small minority of people that those things are important to.

Rio 2016 looked at their 2007 Pan Am Games experience to draw their schedules and budgeting being aware of the pitfalls they encountered . Chicago well they are probably cutting some corners at some point with the "temporary stadium" because there is no way they are going to build basically the same Main Stadium as London 2012 for half the price unless they do something like the Leyner Scaffolding thing.

Jim Jones

Archived