Anti-olympic Protestors Light Up The Streets

mr.x

Likened with a child's tantrum....get with the program, it's 2009. They simply won't stop until they ruin it for everyone, and there's a reason why Vancouver didn't have a public one-year-countdown celebration after what happened at the countdown clock unveiling and flag raising over the last two years.

And if anyone hasn't read one of the latest RCMP 2010 security reports, violent protest groups are the number one concern of the 2010 Games......you'd think they'd have a part in why the security budget is $1-billion.

And I also believe this is the fifth time the clock has been vandalized.

LOSERS.

600_bc_anit_olympic_protest_090212.jpg

600_bc_anit_olympic_protest_3_090212.jpg

Anti-Olympic protestors light up the streets

KATIE HYSLOP

Globe and Mail Update

February 12, 2009 at 11:09 PM EST

Anti-Olympic protestors lit up the streets of downtown Vancouver during a protest parade Thursday night, carrying makeshift torches and setting fire to a 1992 Barcelona Summer Olympics flag.

Several hundred people participated in the march, which stopped outside of buildings belonging to Olympic sponsors such as the Hudson's Bay Company, CTV, and Canada Post. The protest focused on concerns about affordable housing in the city, native land use for Olympic venues, and the financial burden on taxpayers for the games.

Protesters also paint-bombed the Olympic clock, just as the demonstration ended.

Protesters mark the one-year 2010 countdown

Updated: Thu Feb. 12 2009 20:21:38

ctvbc.ca

Around 100 anti-Olympics protesters marked the one-year countdown to the 2010 Games with a noisy rally and march through downtown Vancouver on Thursday night.

The protest began with a rally in Victory Square around 7 p.m. and continued with a demonstration up West Georgia to Burrard, with marchers accompanied by police on bikes and motorcycles.

The group then wound down Burrard Street, ending up at the nearby Olympic Countdown clock in front of the Vancouver Art Gallery. Paint was then thrown at clock.

Traffic was disrupted in the area for about 40 minutes.

The clock has been a focus of several protests by the anti-Olympic network, who are made up of homelessness activists, first nations protesters, and anti-poverty groups.

People shouldn't get uppity with or afraid of the protestors. A lot of them are just misinformed and disenfranchised youth who come from fairly financially stable backgrounds and see protesting in the name of the public as a glory event, like a subconscious quest for publicity. Not only that, but the anti-Olympic groups are comprised of minorities within their own communities' agendas who really don't have the support of large scale groups that is claimed. The dissidence and using the guise of umbrella groups without endorsement is creating a lot of tension within those groups, especially amongst the First Nations with the majority of organized groups supporting 2010 due to its support and creation of indigenous programs having to save face for the disenfranchised minority who are not active participants with their respective group's semi-autonomous governance. Friends of mine who work for local indigenous education programs are frequently subject to speculation by non-indigenous Vancouverites for assumptions of being somehow anti-Olympic, and therefore anti-Canadian, and it's just adding to the already rampant social divide that exists in BC.

"As the Olympic festivities that were bestowed upon us from the god of Olympus himself Jacques Rogge began, another band of merry men and women began their own delusional quest. A quest bestowed upon them by old man Whistlin' Whiskey Jack.

From Victory Square to the Olympic Clock the masked menaced marched. Oh boy did they march and it ended up with a glorious resounding thud. Yes, the inevitable occurred people, they chose to vandalize the Olympic Clock with a paintball. Yawn... how original, that comes out of taxpayers wallets you know, but I highly doubt you have any regard for that.

They burned flags, wore masks, hurled slurs and it was all for naught. You see the public has now become immune to your childish ways. The shock value no longer exists. They see how you parade around town with covered faces, perhaps in fear that your neighbour will recognize you and call you out for the asshat that you are.

They see that you are merely mindless drones that have been brainwashed by the likes of the APC and other spin-offs of the poverty industry clowns.

You want to make a difference, start a foundation to help the working poor. Build them a house. Clothe them, feed them and nurture them. After all you seem to to "truly" care about the plight of the poor. Come on, there seems to be enough of you out there that care, right? Or perhaps you are just upset that you have no athletic ability and thus you're jealous of the Olympians. Or perhaps you resent the rich or perceived rich because they live a lifestyle that you can't attain because you choose not to work.

Whatever the case may be, we just don't care any more. I must say at least you didn't make any kids cry this time, oh wait it was at night so the kids were at home safe and sound. Oh well there always next time."

- Urban Dweller @ http://vancitybuzz.blogspot.com/2009/02/ma...010-begins.html

So lets think of this . Canada is a Democracy with Freedoms including Freedom of Association , freedom of assembly, freedom of the press and Freedoms to protest and speak yet you Mr. X feel that these persons rights should be taken away because you are a mindless cheerleader on the other side of the coin?

Who gives a Rats ass about what the World would think about this ? Are the Europeans going to be offended that some don't like the Olympic Franchise in Canada ? BIG DEAL. I don't see anyone Tackling Wheelchair bound Torch Relay people like we had in London or Paris last summer?

I don't recall any mandate in Canada given to elected officials that could come on my Cousins private property in Vancouver and force them to take down any sign that the Government being a puppet of the IOC and Vanoc did not like.

If my Cousins what to put F U Vancouver 2010 they should be able to do that on THEIR PRIVATE LAND. Until the IOC starts paying their taxes or buys their land at a market price they should screw off.

This is why the IOC is going to have a hard time in the future very simply because Free Societies don't take kindly to Abuse from 110 persons who are accountable to no one and then can turn our cities in to their play grounds for their Worldwide Partners. Who is Paying the Bills Here. The IOC or the Canadian taxpayer ?

I have no tolerance for the Olympic Protesters who do damage to property but lets call a spade a spade here . I also have no tolerance to anyone who gives Jacques Rogge and Company domain to go onto any private property in Regards to anything while the olympics were in Vancouver? Sounds like to me that you have something like Beijing 2008 or Berlin 1936 where Citizens rights were thrown out the window.

IS this what you support Mr. X ? Because indeed if you do then you are a mindless follower yourself.

Maybe you should take a time out and go find your binkkie.

Paint on the Olympic Clock well it has been dealt with before , They screw off the plexi panel and replace them . BIG deal

It is on a piece of property with Public Access paid for by no one but the people of Canada who have every right to decent to the hi jacking of their city , province and country in the name of McDonalds and NBC through their Proxy the IOC.

How many IOC members are Royalty, Former figures in dictatorships and generally unelected in Democracies ? There are a good amount of those in the IOC.

Jim jones

I have no tolerance for the Olympic Protesters who do damage to property but lets call a spade a spade here . I also have no tolerance to anyone who gives Jacques Rogge and Company domain to go onto any private property in Regards to anything while the olympics were in Vancouver? Sounds like to me that you have something like Beijing 2008 or Berlin 1936 where Citizens rights were thrown out the window.

What about our rights to plan on going to an olympic event with our children without worrying about these morons showing up and ruining it or hurting our kids. I would bet there weren't many public events yesterday because of these groups. So the vast majority of citizens missed out because of a few hundred people with a problem with society. It wouldn't matter WHAT was going on they'd be protesting. They protest to the point that people with legitimate problems don't get heard because we are so used to meaningless protests. I would hope the police keep them away next year because if my kids go through what that family did last year at that concert somebody is going to have to pry me off those aholes.

What about our rights to plan on going to an olympic event with our children without worrying about these morons showing up and ruining it or hurting our kids. I would bet there weren't many public events yesterday because of these groups. So the vast majority of citizens missed out because of a few hundred people with a problem with society. It wouldn't matter WHAT was going on they'd be protesting. They protest to the point that people with legitimate problems don't get heard because we are so used to meaningless protests. I would hope the police keep them away next year because if my kids go through what that family did last year at that concert somebody is going to have to pry me off those aholes.

Yeah well that is indeed a tear jerker. The Olympics comes to town and your kids will not enjoy it like they should . But hey they can be reminded of the Olympics that even their children will be paying for far into their adult lives.

If you want to commit a crime against any of these people expressing themselves then you should go to Jail just like they should go to jail for the same. The Homeless where lied to for Expo 86 and they have been lied to for the 2010 games.

When Vancouver can get past this complex to host these events that do little for the citizens but disrupt peoples civil rights then you can think of actually doing something for all the Citizens of Vancouver. THe Olympics comes with massive debt and a big set of White Elephants post games for what ? two weeks .

Yeah the symbolism of burning the Barcelona 1992 flag is not lost on me . The Games of Juan Antonio the cabinet minister of Spanish Dictator Franco.

Jim jones

Yeah well that is indeed a tear jerker. The Olympics comes to town and your kids will not enjoy it like they should . But hey they can be reminded of the Olympics that even their children will be paying for far into their adult lives.

If you want to commit a crime against any of these people expressing themselves then you should go to Jail just like they should go to jail for the same. The Homeless where lied to for Expo 86 and they have been lied to for the 2010 games.

When Vancouver can get past this complex to host these events that do little for the citizens but disrupt peoples civil rights then you can think of actually doing something for all the Citizens of Vancouver. THe Olympics comes with massive debt and a big set of White Elephants post games for what ? two weeks .

Yeah the symbolism of burning the Barcelona 1992 flag is not lost on me . The Games of Juan Antonio the cabinet minister of Spanish Dictator Franco.

Jim jones

Didn't you see what happened at that concert last year? There was a family that went to an event and the protesters HIT one of their kids that was maybe five with a sign. I don't know if you live in BC or did at one point, but if you did you'd realize that there are proffessional protesters here who often have little or no personal interest in what they are protesting. If it's a protest they'll go. You see the same people showing up whether it's about the environment, WTO, APEC, Olympics, the homeless or whatever. They often turn violent. Now I'm not sure if there are many parents out there that would just stand by and let these morons hit their kids with signs and do nothing when the police can't deal with them. If that lands me in jail so be it. I'm so sick of these people, they've been obnoxious since they were harrassing logger's children in their school playground in Tofino 14 years ago, the olympics is just their fad to protest...they don't care about the homeless...in two years we'll see Garth Mullins protesting some new cause he's found.

Didn't you see what happened at that concert last year? There was a family that went to an event and the protesters HIT one of their kids that was maybe five with a sign. I don't know if you live in BC or did at one point, but if you did you'd realize that there are proffessional protesters here who often have little or no personal interest in what they are protesting. If it's a protest they'll go. You see the same people showing up whether it's about the environment, WTO, APEC, Olympics, the homeless or whatever. They often turn violent. Now I'm not sure if there are many parents out there that would just stand by and let these morons hit their kids with signs and do nothing when the police can't deal with them. If that lands me in jail so be it. I'm so sick of these people, they've been obnoxious since they were harrassing logger's children in their school playground in Tofino 14 years ago, the olympics is just their fad to protest...they don't care about the homeless...in two years we'll see Garth Mullins protesting some new cause he's found.

Well like I have said before the law is the law but when MY cousins, who could not give a toss either way about the olympics, can't put a sign on their Lawn or Buildings unless it meets Jacques Rogge's Approval then it goes way too far. If Nike was to come to them and say we will give you x amount of dollars to display over sign on your building why shouldn't any citizen paying taxes that Funds the Olympic Circus be able to take full advantage of that ?

These people can show up for as many protests as they like because thank god that is still within constitutional rights of this HOST COUNTRY. Also in our constitution is gender equality which is shamefully be rejected in regards to Female Ski Jumpers.

When protester do break the law for violation under the criminal code then they should go to court and then to jail IF convicted.

Professional Protesters I would say Hardly simply because no one is paying them to protest they can be on many types of social assistance.

This Hemisphere has the shame of having Students KILLED for the Olympics in 1968 in Mexico City because the Government there Denied Basic Human Rights of protest and decent. A Sports Festival is nothing compared to the Rights that every human should have but seem to get lost with this chase for a fantasy Called the Olympics. A Fantasy that the ills of the host will be cured.

Jim jones

As an international observer, this certainly does not work in the best interest of the image of such a beautiful city and what may be (hopefully0 very impressive games. Where these persons given an opportunity to voice their concerns about the olympics with Vanoc in a public forum?

Well like I have said before the law is the law but when MY cousins, who could not give a toss either way about the olympics, can't put a sign on their Lawn or Buildings unless it meets Jacques Rogge's Approval then it goes way too far. If Nike was to come to them and say we will give you x amount of dollars to display over sign on your building why shouldn't any citizen paying taxes that Funds the Olympic Circus be able to take full advantage of that ?

These people can show up for as many protests as they like because thank god that is still within constitutional rights of this HOST COUNTRY. Also in our constitution is gender equality which is shamefully be rejected in regards to Female Ski Jumpers.

When protester do break the law for violation under the criminal code then they should go to court and then to jail IF convicted.

Professional Protesters I would say Hardly simply because no one is paying them to protest they can be on many types of social assistance.

This Hemisphere has the shame of having Students KILLED for the Olympics in 1968 in Mexico City because the Government there Denied Basic Human Rights of protest and decent. A Sports Festival is nothing compared to the Rights that every human should have but seem to get lost with this chase for a fantasy Called the Olympics. A Fantasy that the ills of the host will be cured.

Jim jones

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the city having the power to remove illegal signs when they are illegal in the first place regardless of the Olympics.

Secondly, the whole female ski jumping issue is a complete hoax and overblown to proportions with the female ski jumpers twisting the entire situation.

The reason this issue is even getting any news coverage is because Canadians are soooooo ridiculously liberal that they have constitutional laws that legislate equality for everybody in everything. It's a bit like saying "everybody is exactly the same, colourless, genderless and with no ethnic history". In reality, we are not all equal, we are all different. So as a result, whenever anybody is unhappy about the way they are treated, they run to the Human Rights Commission and claim they are not being treated fairly under the overly-liberal constitution. Stupid. It is so ripe for abuse.

Everyone keeps throwing the word "discrimination" around too much in regards to the ski jumping issue. The IOC has technical requirements that have to be met before inclusion into the games and female ski-jumping has not met that. Why should they be allowed to go in the Olympics if they have not even held a world championships?

The IOC sets out a guideline for which sports comply with Olympic competition standards and women's ski jumping does not meet these standards, plain and simple.

Claiming this is a violation of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms not only trivializes our Charter, but makes the ski jumping federation look utterly asinine. Trying to drag the men's ski jumping down with them is not going to make them any friends either...they have shot themselves in the foot every step along the way.

Unfortunately, these protest groups are one of the reasons why the cost for security will be so high. You wouldn't know since you live on the opposite coast, but these groups contain radical and even extremist pocket groups that are willing to do real harm to public safety. And if I continue to incessantly hear the NDP scream about the Olympic security budget, when they are themselves fanning the flames of their own left-wing flank to either peacefully or violently protest the 2010 Games while BC taxpayers are incurring substantial costs thereto, then NDP Party headquarters should be presented with a BC taxpayer's invoice for costs incurred at the end of the day. The RCMP has extremist protest groups as the number one security concern of the 2010 Games.

As an international observer, this certainly does not work in the best interest of the image of such a beautiful city and what may be (hopefully0 very impressive games. Where these persons given an opportunity to voice their concerns about the olympics with Vanoc in a public forum?

Problem is if VANOC does have public forums, these protest groups would bring their megaphones and blow horns with them and they'd be shouting and screaming....

Anyhow, according to the Globe and Mail, approximately $1.4 billion of public dollars from all 3 levels of government have been spend on all sorts of programs, services, housing, and such in the Downtown Eastside since 2000.

The worst part is that this article found that there is barely any progress. At least with Olympic-related projects, we actually get a return on investment with upgraded infrastructures, economic stimulation, tourism boost, and other sorts of goodies.