Vancouver 2010 One Year Countdown And Torch Unveiling

mr.x

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I agree; the whole look is very, very well pulled off. Congratulations Vancouver!

I agree with you Rob it is a very unique flame but I also see a similarity to the Melbourne 2006 Queens Baton for the Commonwealth Games. Very Space age

http://www.news.co.sh/images/Photo/QueensB...513_075sent.jpg

Jim jones

The torch isn't bad, maybe a bit bland. I was in Calgary the last bunch of days attending a job fair at the University. The fair was in the gym next to the Olympic Oval. They've got one of the '88 torches on display there so I got a god look at it. I think I like the "Calgary Tower" torch more. Actually, out of all the Olympic torches that I've seen (they've got most of them on display at the hall of fame at Olympic Park in Calgary), the Calgary torch is my favourite. When I look at the Vancouver torch I think:

1. It's a Mac stylized doobie

2. It's a part ripped off the bridge of the USS Enterprise in the new Star Trek movie coming out this summer

3. Bombardier got lazy in their design and just ripped off one of the skis off a Ski-doo.

As or CTV's coverage, I noticed something online and will post in the pins thread.

^ meh, sortof cliche to have it resemble the Calgary Tower. I could see it creative and cool to some respects, but really in the modern Olympic age you won't have any future torch looking like a traditional torch.

To be fair, nearly all torches prior to 1992 were of that symmetrical toilet plunger style. The torches of Munich, Innsbruck 76, Tokyo, Sarajevo were all just metal poles. The torches of Sapporo, Berlin, and Oslo were nothing more than flares. And London 48, Melbourne, Cortina, and Squaw Valley were nearly identical. Moscow's looked like a spark plug. Montreal's like a shot up beer can on a red stick. LA, Seoul, Helsinki, and Rome were all classic designs.

From 1992 on, the designs got more creative and slick...save for maybe Atlanta and Nagano.

Olympic torch gallery

• 1 month later...

Man, I must have been blind -- I completely missed the unveiling of the torch and this thread.

Anyway, my two pennies worth: The torch immediately looked strangely familiar to me -- probably due to its similarities to Sydney's torch. But I love its simple, light and elegant design after that burning wrapping paper scroll of Beijing and the heavy baseball bat of Torino. And I agree with those who say that the red mittens look great together with the torch. Good job, VANOC!

..and the heavy baseball bat of Torino.

You mess it up. It was the Torino07 Universiade's torch which looked like a baseball bat. :P

See? DSC_0076.JPG

Torino2006 torch looks more like a python.

Anyway, Vancouver's torck is too wavy. Vanoc's doesn't seem to have clear ideas about the look of these games.