Vancouver 2010 One Year Countdown And Torch Unveiling

mr.x

The relay logo itself also gave away some hints of the colour and shape.

The one thing I don't get is the red mittens. The uniforms are white with blue and green trimmings. And then red mittens? Huh?

Edited by Kendegra

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Kendegra' date='Feb 12 2009, 02:06 PM' post='196953

The mitten represent the red colour of the canadian flag.

The relay logo itself also gave away some hints of the colour and shape.

The one thing I don't get is the red mittens. The uniforms are white with blue and green trimmings. And then red mittens? Huh?

Pretty good. For one thing, it's not a club to hit someone with like Torino's. The white is a nice surprise - but maybe curving engraves could on have been added to play on the shape and theme, and Illanaq could have been overlayed in one color as to not stick out so much.

With the exception of the logo, the inspiration, concept, and execution behind all of Vancouver's designs have been really strong. In this regard, the Look is the best since Athens‘, and the torch is solid. Hope to see the medals soon.

Looks good. At first sight it has a similarity with Melbourne 2006 baton's curves. But I liked the simple, clean and modern design.

Comparing to Beijing's "lucky cloud on scroll" design, the Vancouver torch carries multiple meanings without being too coloured or too busy like the previous one. It also looks very elegant when lit.

I like it overall in terms of design and look, but it doesn't make the flame the focal point. The flame seems like a pesky afterthought to the magical, ergonomic Bombardier stick, almost like the runners would be running to say "help! my Bombardier stick is on FIRE!"

Well, my view on the torch.

Solid, okay, but not a standout. Okay, I suppose.

On CBC, some Canadians have already got their torch and uniform. It will be an exciting time for them.

I'm.... underwhelmed. Like Torino, I thought the idea was good, but the execution is off. It is quite underwhelming. I wish that the taper was three dimensional (narrow on top, bulged out at the logo, and tapered back to a narrow point at the bottom, thus vertical symmetry). I think the flatness is what really irritates me. It's too "graphic", too 2D... And unrefined in reality. It's also poor that the "key slot" where they turn on the gas is on the front while the maple-leaf air intake is on the back.

While the uniform is quite lovely, I wish the gloves were white. The Canadian Red is just too "one off" for me. Perhaps white gloves with red maple leaves on it?

For transparency's sake, I ran the SLC torch. While it holds a sentimental value, I thought that torch had too much going on (and was a little thick).

Call me crazy, but I'm starting to LOVE the red gloves. They really make the white torch POP in contrast and really give the torchbearer some immediate presence instead of being washed out in white as per usual. I bet live action running footage will look great with the play of hue.

OMA GAAAAAAW! The whole look is beautiful!

taichi mode off/ :lol:

The red mittens looked out of place in those renders but the real thing is good. I believe they chose the red colour to make it more lively. You see, the torch is white, the uniform is mainly white and the runners will travel though snowy landscapes and cities. There is a lot of white, so this red detail will look great on the pictures.