Aquatics Centre Construction Thread

Rob.

Erm....that's nice, but the lights are not going to be off during Games-time, so I don't get why that's in any way relevent. :huh:

The venue will be well lit and the colour and texture of the wood will come out.

So therefore it's an environmentally-ill-thought-out plan. Instead of being light and airy, she (zaha Haid or whatever her name is) turned what could have been a beautiful space suffused with natural light into a heavy, dark, foreboding space -- all just so she could claim honors for "...a unique, striking design..." which I believe, detracts from the proper atmosphere rather than creates the right one -- considering England's grey skies...she made sure it was even darker. Duh!!

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Point 1: All the venues will be heavily lit during Games-time regardless as to whether they're light and airy or not. This is because of the requirements for HDTV. So no venues will be particularly "eco" in that sense. This is also, by the way, the reason why the stadium floodlights were redesigned, so they'd provide greater amounts of light for high definition pictures.

Point 2: The venue will be lit up during the Games, but as I pointed out last time you raised this, after the Games the wings will come down and be replaced by two giant walls of glass. The venue in its permanent guise will have huge amounts of natural light.

So pointing out how dark the venue is with the lights off and the wings in place is irrelevent. It'll never be seen like that! And saying the venue isn't very eco for two months of its 100+ year life is also not much of an argument.

If you don't like the ceiling aesthetically, fine, but it's not going to lead to a dark venue because the lights will be on during Games-time and huge windows installed afterwards. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First Swim Takes Place In London 2012 Aquatics Centre

The first swim has taken place in the London 2012 Aquatics Centre, under the watchful eye of IOC President Jacques Rogge, IOC Coordination Commission Chairman Denis Oswald and LOCOG Chairman Sebastian Coe, as well as a number of other notable invitees.

A group of young swimmers from the local borough of Newham, Olympian David Davies and a beneficiary of London 2012’s International Inspiration programme completed the first few lengths ever to be swum in the brand new pool. The young swimmers were also joined by part of the team GB synchronised swimming team, who formed the number one in the water to mark the one-year-to-go anniversary.

Fantastic Venue

Speaking at the centre, IOC President Jacques Rogge said, “It was fantastic to see the young swimmers get the opportunity to have the first-ever swim in the London 2012 Aquatics Centre. It will be a fantastic venue during the Games and I am confident that the athletes will be very happy when they take to the water themselves in earnest next year. It is also reassuring to see that the local organisers have thought about legacy, and I am sure that many of the young athletes we saw today will come back and try out the pool again once the Games are over.”

Transparent.gif

IOC

It is the one venue I'm not a fan of at all - for something so costly it looks so cheap, especially the temporary wings. The roof is impressive enough from the outside, but more in it's legacy state than it's Olympic formation, but I really don't like the way it sits inside, and though less ambitious I think a better design could have been built for much less. Needs a lick of paint too!

All that said though even with a few hundred people in there tonight the crowd gave me goosebumps.

It is the one venue I'm not a fan of at all - for something so costly it looks so cheap, especially the temporary wings. The roof is impressive enough from the outside, but more in it's legacy state than it's Olympic formation, but I really don't like the way it sits inside, and though less ambitious I think a better design could have been built for much less. Needs a lick of paint too!

All that said though even with a few hundred people in there tonight the crowd gave me goosebumps.

Seriously - this is a great venue - I know you aren't impressed but believe you me - when you are in there it isn't cheap looking - it's monumental (I know the wings aren't eveveryones taste - but to be honest inside you don't see that)!

Fantastic link, Lee, thanks!

Could someone tell me, however, where they are hiding the second, 50 meter warm up pool? They've got the Diving Well, the Competition Pool, and supposedly there is a third pool, another 50 meter warm up pool. Where? I'm guessing it's at the end with the glass windows, perpendicular to the competition pool. Somewhere back there?

Overall it IS a nice facility and will be great in legacy mode, but that awful, low slung, dippy roof was just such a bad idea for games time. I really hate that part of it.

Reassurance for those who got cheap seats at the back

Yeah, you can see the whole pool, but did you notice how the diving platforms are cut off? I suppose they won't be selling tickets that high for diving anyway....

You also can't see the video scoreboard. You also can't see the spectators on the other side of the pool. Not that you go to the event to look at other spectators, but it would make me feel cut off and more isolated. If a world record is set, or people are cheering for a spectacular finish to a race, everyone is on their feet etc., You miss out on that feeling of sharing it with the entire audience. So all in all this aquatic center design is still really really TERRIBLE in terms of the wings and that STUPID LOW DIPPY ROOF.

Like I said before, great legacy mode design, but HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE games time design. Zaha Hadid = FAIL in games time use.

When I said ROOF, I meant CEILING. Either way, it's the same bad design. <_<

Yeah, you can see the whole pool, but did you notice how the diving platforms are cut off? I suppose they won't be selling tickets that high for diving anyway....

You also can't see the video scoreboard. You also can't see the spectators on the other side of the pool. Not that you go to the event to look at other spectators, but it would make me feel cut off and more isolated. If a world record is set, or people are cheering for a spectacular finish to a race, everyone is on their feet etc., You miss out on that feeling of sharing it with the entire audience. So all in all this aquatic center design is still really really TERRIBLE in terms of the wings and that STUPID LOW DIPPY ROOF.

Like I said before, great legacy mode design, but HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE games time design. Zaha Hadid = FAIL in games time use.

Generally the opposite stands are full of media with very few actual spectator seats, so I don't think you'll really be missing out on the guys across the way. And really, the section for category D seats is so small, that I imagine the category C seats, just a few rows down, would have near perfect views.

Also, keep in mind that the camera in that video was probably being held by someone standing, so you weren't getting quite the same view of a person that is actually sitting down. Those few feet can make a huge difference in the sight lines.

Generally the opposite stands are full of media with very few actual spectator seats, so I don't think you'll really be missing out on the guys across the way. And really, the section for category D seats is so small, that I imagine the category C seats, just a few rows down, would have near perfect views.

Also, keep in mind that the camera in that video was probably being held by someone standing, so you weren't getting quite the same view of a person that is actually sitting down. Those few feet can make a huge difference in the sight lines.

It doesn't matter, Sydney and London are/were two of the worst Olympic Aquatics venues for spectators. Water Cube rocked. I'd even rather have a temporary open air covered venue like in Atlanta than this. And Seth, the other side is just as big and the media doesn't take up ALL that space.

NOTE: Got to love the idiot Gamesbids.com premium members who don't like the fact that I said it's a horrible design for games times use and called it a fail so they "red mark" me. Really so fucking lame. And you can ONLY do that if you PAY! What a JOKE!!!! Hey take me up to -1,000,000. So fucking childish.

Fantastic link, Lee, thanks!

Could someone tell me, however, where they are hiding the second, 50 meter warm up pool? They've got the Diving Well, the Competition Pool, and supposedly there is a third pool, another 50 meter warm up pool. Where? I'm guessing it's at the end with the glass windows, perpendicular to the competition pool. Somewhere back there?

Overall it IS a nice facility and will be great in legacy mode, but that awful, low slung, dippy roof was just such a bad idea for games time. I really hate that part of it.

The warm up pool is underneath the balcony where all the press were based yesterday - so beyond the main pool (rather than the diving pool end).

I am kind of thinking we've got a year - just enough time to knock it down and build something actually fit for purpose? Even if the roof was just a few feet higher it might work better, or it could work as literally just a cover for the pool with the wings open to the elements - or perhaps have a similar wave like roof but in glass. Indeed one of the things I don't like about it is the roof looks so heavy, especially compared to the lightweight cablenet designs of the stadium and velodrome.

Unfortunately for me it's the one venue I'd put down as a fail.

It's a LOUSY, awkward venue...which I knew would be a dud from the start. You need a light, airy cover for a natatorium, not some dark, low-slung, nihilistic roof. Ms. Zahid should've taken off her burkha while designing the venue; it could've been a bit better.

But hey, with Kapoor's Tower and Zahid's whale tongue-dark mother belly Aquatic Center, ODA fulfilled its design diversity quota and the "ex-colonized" peoples of the British Empire got back a little of their own with their "retro" contributions to Olympic Park. The forces of PC win this one.

And yet Rogge feels it is one of the best Olympic venues he's ever been in. By the way, when are people going to grow up not comment every time they get a -1?

And yet Rogge feels it is one of the best Olympic venues he's ever been in. By the way, when are people going to grow up not comment every time they get a -1?

Well, Rogge isn't going to come in and say this place looks like crap. It certainly is stunning, but it does have some unsightly issues with that ceiling over the pool.

The biggest issue is the wings. The view won't be ideal for some at the back but nor will it be awful. As far as scoreboards go there will be overhead monitors in the wings; people will know what is happening. This venue is not perfect during Games time but it is a stunning piece if architecture with a lot more positive than negative points. It is not terrible, lousy or a dud. :rolleyes:

The biggest issue is the wings. The view won't be ideal for some at the back but nor will it be awful. As far as scoreboards go there will be overhead monitors in the wings; people will know what is happening. This venue is not perfect during Games time but it is a stunning piece if architecture with a lot more positive than negative points. It is not terrible, lousy or a dud. :rolleyes:

Or they'll be on their smart phones getting updates.

The place/amount of seating looks huge

Generally the opposite stands are full of media with very few actual spectator seats, so I don't think you'll really be missing out on the guys across the way.

Yeah, that's one thing I noticed when I went to see a hockey game live in Vancouver. The Olympic media takes up so much of one side of an arena/centre that as long as you're on the majority-spectator side, you won't miss any of the crowd-atmosphere. It's not something I ever noticed before when watching the Games on tv.

When are asshole premium members going grow up and stop clicking -1? When will this fucking website grow up and get rid of "rating" people's posts? I'll fucking comment on it if I like. Double standard Rob? Yes, I think much.

And yeah, Aquatics center sucks for spectators in games times mode. I actually agree with Baron on this one.

Well, Rogge isn't going to come in and say this place looks like crap. It certainly is stunning, but it does have some unsightly issues with that ceiling over the pool.

Who cares what Rogge says, he's fucking PR man. He gives blow jobs to everybody! And he'll ask your country to please bid while he's doing it!

Archived