Aquatics Centre Construction Thread

Rob.

I realize the site was measured wrong or whatever, but, why is it not possible to make the "wings" more curved and flowing like in the original renderings rather than the sharp edged (and ugly) boxiness that is apparently the final design?

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did see plans - architect's drawings - for curved wings a while ago. Why they were not chosen I have absolutely no idea, but they were certainly being considered.

I did see plans - architect's drawings - for curved wings a while ago. Why they were not chosen I have absolutely no idea, but they were certainly being considered.

Rectangular stands can fit more spectators than a curved one, plus due to the cantilever over the river, they cant afford to have a big curved wings that capacity of a rectangular stand.

They were too expensive and couldn't be justified for something so temporary.

• 1 month later...

I got up close and personal to the Aquatics centre today. Here are a few pics. The tour guide said Zaha Hadid was designing the diving boards as well which I hadnt really realised, but Im not sure if they are the same as the early renders. I think I just expected a standard diving board but then again Beijing had fancy ones didnt they. They are starting on the timber beams underneath which I will post a pic of later as my mate has pics of that, but its looking lovely and is a hive of activity.

aq1.jpg

aq2y.jpg

I don't know what it looks like, but that's not the building that appeared in the original renderings :unsure:

From the air (and per RobH's isgnature), it either looks like an ox tongue or, if you are feeling a little marine, like a fillet of Dover sole. It's a rip-off of the original TWA terminal at JFK airport.

It looks like the cladding on the top of the roof is now complete. Webcam shot here, thunderstorms over London today so it's not gleaming like it has done, which is a shame.

You can also see on that webcam shot the permanent seating being built.

What's the after-games legacy for this facility?

Is it staying as a pool? B)

Being converted? :unsure:

or being padlocked like Athens? :o:(

It becomes a pool open to the public and for training.

"After the Games

The Aquatics Centre will be transformed into a facility for the local community, clubs and schools, as well as elite swimmers. The two temporary wings will be removed, leaving 2,500 seats – although it will be possible to increase the capacity to 3,500 for major competitions.

The Aquatics Centre will also have a creche, family-friendly changing facilities and a cafe alongside a new public plaza in front of the building."

Archived