Aquatics Centre Construction Thread

Rob2012

I'm just kidding you. Obviously you know your stuff.

I grew up as a swimmer -- actually fly was my specialty.

Fly is my most admired stroke. Very cool stroke that's fun to do - when you don't start DYING ~12 meters (long course) from the wall (like I always do ;) ) Most difficult and strenuous stroke, lots of upper body strength and core. I love beautiful freestyle form, however. Did you see Sun Yang set a new WR in the 1500m free this morning/tonight in Shanghai? He seemed to effortlessly glide through the water. Looked really nice.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if this kind of 'stadium' arena type seating is suitable for an aquatics venue. In shanghai and the last fina championship where they converted the rod laver arena in melbourne into a pool. Yes you have an all-around atmosphere surrounding the pool, but it does feel quite shallow and the crowd are scattered all around.

Whereas the 2 grandstands on each side of Londons aquatics focus the energy of the crowd to both sides of the pool, which add more drama and intensity to the venue.

What do you think is the ideal seating layout for an Olympic pool venue?

Obviously you can't have seating behind the diving pool but it does seem most Aquatics Centres don't opt for seating at the top end of the pool - certainly in London's case it would surely be better there (basically on that platform where the media were) than up in the attic. Back in Manchester too IIRC they put temporary seating over the Diving Pool for the swimming, though I think then the diving took place first followed by the swimming. I doubt it would be so easy with the diving following the swimming as I suspect they'd need to clean the pool etc. once the seating above it is removed.

It's a LOUSY, awkward venue...which I knew would be a dud from the start. You need a light, airy cover for a natatorium, not some dark, low-slung, nihilistic roof. Ms. Zahid should've taken off her burkha while designing the venue; it could've been a bit better.

But hey, with Kapoor's Tower and Zahid's whale tongue-dark mother belly Aquatic Center, ODA fulfilled its design diversity quota and the "ex-colonized" peoples of the British Empire got back a little of their own with their "retro" contributions to Olympic Park. The forces of PC win this one.

Seriously - stop being so fucking offensive - there is no need for that tone - you really haven't got a clue - even if you are joking!

I was at the aquatics centre last Wednesday - I've seen it and been in there and it is nit a lousy awkward venue & it's actually quite light & airy - oh **** it can't be bothered

As a Brit I feel immensely proud of what LOCOG have achieved. I probably do look at some of the decisions with rose tinted specs too but, we want these games to be loved and enjoyed around the world. Buildings the worlds over are considered masterpieces but they all have problems. On a day when Jaques Rogge, competitors that have actually been in it and the media heap the Aquatics Centre with praise, then folks come on here and say its bad, rubbish or ****, it puts people on the defensive.

People do seem to critisise London in a way they dont other hosts. People say they have made blunders, again and again saying its a **** logo. People everytime the mascots mentioned comment they scare children, again and again making the same comments. Ive seen Mickey Mouse scare children in Disneyland to be fair. One of the first comments I read about the medals on here was Complete Disaster, when to be fair they are nothing of the sort.

As a LOCOG fan and as a Brit I take a lot of the comments to heart, something Im slowly learning not to do. People have the right to make comments, good or bad, just sometimes it feels relentless, and that LOCOG can do no right. If its a radical design its critisised, if its a safe design, its critisised.

The Olympics should be a celebration, Im learning that this forum although a great place to discuss the games, learn things and speculate are also gonna be a place where people will complain and rant and thats he way it should be. Its just when you are so proud of what your country has achieved it is sometimes hard to read.

Well thats my rant, back to the Aquatics Centre

Nicely summed up Davey - been away and this really has kicked off! A pity as was in the blooming thing last week & it's awkward outside but fecking great inside - a lovely building with a great finish. It will do the athletes (& future local swimmers) proud!

As a Brit I feel immensely proud of what LOCOG have achieved. I probably do look at some of the decisions with rose tinted specs too but, we want these games to be loved and enjoyed around the world. Buildings the worlds over are considered masterpieces but they all have problems. On a day when Jaques Rogge, competitors that have actually been in it and the media heap the Aquatics Centre with praise, then folks come on here and say its bad, rubbish or ****, it puts people on the defensive.

People do seem to critisise London in a way they dont other hosts. People say they have made blunders, again and again saying its a **** logo. People everytime the mascots mentioned comment they scare children, again and again making the same comments. Ive seen Mickey Mouse scare children in Disneyland to be fair. One of the first comments I read about the medals on here was Complete Disaster, when to be fair they are nothing of the sort.

As a LOCOG fan and as a Brit I take a lot of the comments to heart, something Im slowly learning not to do. People have the right to make comments, good or bad, just sometimes it feels relentless, and that LOCOG can do no right. If its a radical design its critisised, if its a safe design, its critisised.

The Olympics should be a celebration, Im learning that this forum although a great place to discuss the games, learn things and speculate are also gonna be a place where people will complain and rant and thats he way it should be. Its just when you are so proud of what your country has achieved it is sometimes hard to read.

Well thats my rant, back to the Aquatics Centre

I think ferocity of the criticism stems from the simple fact that there is so little to actually criticize. It's been widely acknowledged that LOCOG is the most competent OCOG in Olympic history, so it seems to make sense that the fewer chances you give you critics to air their grievances, the more potent each one becomes.

Although technically speaking they don't actually cross a finish line - just touch it. Agree though the simplicity is it's saving grace - of course most people do hopefully get in the pool at some stage in their lives but to a neutral fan who doesn't follow it as a sport there is nothing complex about it at all, unlike something like cycling for example where different events have different rules and it isn't always the first across the line who wins.

• 2 weeks later...

Well if you don't like comcrete then that's fair enough. Though I'd be intetested to know what you do like since I remember you saying you thought wood was unoriginal and that's why you don't like the velodrome.

Moreso the saddle shape of the velodrome is what I don't like.

Look up American Arts and Crafts and Art Moderne and you will see the style I enjoy.

Moreso the sandle shape of the velodrome is what I don't like.

Look up American Arts and Crafts and Art Moderne and you will see the style I enjoy.

Regarding Arts and Crafts, I'm not sure how that would translate as an Olympic venue, as I only really know it as a residential home style.

Art Moderne could be interesting, but it wouldn't really fit in with this Olympic Park. Aren't some tube stations Art Moderne?

Regarding Arts and Crafts, I'm not sure how that would translate as an Olympic venue, as I only really know it as a residential home style.

Art Moderne could be interesting, but it wouldn't really fit in with this Olympic Park. Aren't some tube stations Art Moderne?

Probably.

• 2 weeks later...

The interior of the aquatics centre is stunning. I just wish the temporary elements were not so distracting. Post-games, yep, the venue is beautiful.

And the warm-up pool is rather dishy -- it has a stripped-classical aesthetic which is just oh so devine darlings.

well she is a great artist :/ we have a project with her in istanbul to rebuild a part of the city, populatin for 500,000 in asian side.. hope they start it as soon as possible..

and need a touch to our olympic village too :D

better than beijing water cube... nice job london..really a piece of art

Archived