Aquatics Centre Construction Thread

Rob2012

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah so. Altho of course the convex glass covers of the light fixtures MIGHT distort the images captured,i.e., you would be getting fish-eye lens images as opposed to flat, panoramic shots.

From past Games, they always have an overhead camera running along the middle lane to capture slow-mo replays. I dont see how they can fix a running camera in a wavy roof like this, unless they have a horizontal truss kind of camera track hanging from the ceiling.

From past Games, they always have an overhead camera running along the middle lane to capture slow-mo replays. I dont see how they can fix a running camera in a wavy roof like this, unless they have a horizontal truss kind of camera track hanging from the ceiling.

I know that ceiling is trying to attract too much attention. It shouldn't be the main feature of a natatorium. I bet NBC must be tearing its hair out for bidding for such a difficult building to properly telecast the all-important swimming events.

But the camera in one of those light-holes could be one that pivots on a fulcrum, and thus can make an arcing sweep.

(As a swimmer too doing backstrokes, I would be very uninspired by that dark, convex-shaped ceiling. Where I swim, altho it's an older facility, it has two sun-roofs and the sun streaming in some days really gives me an extra lift even on days when I am not inspired to go swimming but do so to keep my regimen regular.)

The ceiling is a masterpiece of engineering and architecture. I'd be amazed if this building isn't listed shortly after the Games.

As for light, it will be well lit during the Games. In fact, if anything the venues are going to be too bright for spectators during 2012 as organisers want to ensure the HDTV pictures are as sharp as possible. A lot of planning has gone into making these Games the best-ever in terms of TV pictures. The BBC will be broadcasting 5000 hours worth of coverage in 2012; every hour of every sport so will have been working hard with organisers to make sure this is possible.

And when the wings come down, they'll be replaced glass. So light won't be a problem for swimmers like yourself using the pool either (though this is the UK, I'm not sure I'd go as far as calling it a sun-trap).

swimmingcentre438.jpg

The biggest problem with this venue is its compromsied aesthetics on the outside during Games time because of the wings. The ceiling though, really isn't a point of complaint as far as I can see. The broadcasters might find it a little trickier than a standard ceiling, but in all honesty, I'm sure that's more than made up for in their eyes by the beauty of the venue they'll be broadcasting from.

I don't mind the dark roof, as in Beijing it was almost uncomfortably bright in the Water Cube. Also, re the overhead cameras, the trusses were hidden behind a row of flags in Beijing, so perhaps something similar will happen here.

The very top seats have a better view than the equivilent at Sydney's venue, which also used these kind of temporary "wings", but obviously they won't be as good as the top views of entirely permanent centres. You'll be able to see the entire pool, but won't be able to see the crowd on the other side of the venue.

Topseat.jpg

The very top seats have a better view than the equivilent at Sydney's venue, which also used these kind of temporary "wings", but obviously they won't be as good as the top views of entirely permanent centres. You'll be able to see the entire pool, but won't be able to see the crowd on the other side of the venue.

Topseat.jpg

ohh Rob, thanks very much mate (you saved my day)!!! - I was wondering about that view - do you have something comparable for the O2 arena? I would like to see the difference between the B and C category

ohh Rob, thanks very much mate (you saved my day)!!! - I was wondering about that view - do you have something comparable for the O2 arena? I would like to see the difference between the B and C category

Category D seats also extend further down, the closer you get to the diving platforms. For example, for swimming, the seating sections near the diving pool are all category C and D seats.

Also, for the O2 arena, the B seats start at the front of the upper tier of seating, and going about half way up.

Topseat.jpg

As Jim65768 would say of Rio's Maracana...look at all those empty seats!! The swimming should be held elsewhere.

Yeah, why are those last rows empty when the artist (or computer) could've put in people in those rows?? And look -- NO SWIMMERS or DIVERS either in the pools!! Are we at the right venue? :lol:

That's an old image Rob back when the temporary roof connected to the bottom of the permanent roof. The actual temporary roof links to the top of the permanent roof, so one will likely see more.

BUT REMEMBER PEOPLE. THAT IS THE VIEW FROM THE WORST SEAT.

For the 71212th time that is.

Oh is it? My mistake! :ph34r:

You've studied the plans in much more detail than I have so I bow to your superior wisdom. :lol:

The internet's amazing isn't it? We're in a situation on this forum where the person who knows the architecture of London's new venues in the most intricate detail is from Cape Town. :blink: Frankly, it's because he's the only person on the planet who can navigate around the maze that is the London 2012 planning website.

• 3 weeks later...

Topseat.jpg

That is awful. Even though I know you would see a bit more than that, I couldn't take it, it would be so frustrating. I'd rather watch the events on television than sit up there! Seriously!

Well, as Mo pointed out:

That's an old image Rob back when the temporary roof connected to the bottom of the permanent roof. The actual temporary roof links to the top of the permanent roof, so one will likely see more.

I don't know how much better the views will be than this picture, but don't take that as the truth anymore.

Also, I read today it's going to take a couple of months longer to complete this venue than was originally planned because they're having some troubles with the heating system meeting FINA requirements so are having to make some adjustments. All this means is it'll be completed at the end of July rather than in the next couple of weeks, as was originally planned.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know the exact dimensions of the pool? Beijing's was 25m x 50m (between touch pads, so actually about 52m) with 10 lanes, numbered 0-9, with competition taking place in lanes 1-8 (although in Beijing I seem to remember at least one race where lane 9 got used). I believe, but am not 100% certain, that that is the new standard for Olympic competition. Is London's the same?

Yup, I count 10 lanes in the competition pool. Thanks for posting that photo.

On another note, that dip in the ceiling seems to affect the diving side of things more than the swimming side.

(actually, could have counted the lanes in one of the photo's RobH posted. Doh!)

aquatics-internal.jpg

But look at this other pic taken from deck level with w/ the lites turned off... it's that hulking black whale or dark mama heaving over you. I find it quite oppressive... I think it's the dumbest design of these Games so far.

Well, we know all future swim venues will AVOID this dark, convex-type ceiling.

capture2lt.jpg

But look at this other pic taken from deck level with w/ the lites turned off

Erm....that's nice, but the lights are not going to be off during Games-time, so I don't get why that's in any way relevent. :huh:

The venue will be well lit and the colour and texture of the wood will come out.

Archived