Aquatics Centre Construction Thread

Rob2012

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Paralympic gold medal winning swimmer Liz Johnson has laid the final tile in the Aquatics Centre competition pool to mark 500 days to go to the London 2012 Paralympic Games Opening Ceremony.

The 25-year-old from Newport was at the London 2012 Aquatics Centre for the first time as she put down the last of 180,000 tiles lining the 50 metre competition and training pools as well as the dive pool.

The competition and diving pools will now be filled with millions of litres of water while the 50 metre training pool has already been filled.

London_2012_Aquatics_Centre_with_tiles_laid.jpg

http://www.insidethegames.biz/summer-olympics/2012/12706-final-tile-laid-at-london-2012-aquatics-centre

Well, it's the inverse of the velodrome in a sense. The velodrome is much more impressive externally than internally from what I've seen (not that the interior of the cycling venue is bad, just that the exterior is stunning).

The aquatics centre has a compromised exterior, but internally it's a winner. I think the reason not much praise has been heaped on it yet is simply because these are the first real pictures we've seen of the inside and of that majestic ceiling without towers of scaffolding everywhere.

Could've used part of Hadrian's Wall...to make it more historic. ;)

Tut tut Baron.Hadrian's Wall is a Unesco world heritage site.Nobody's allowed to remove a brick (most of 'em had been carted away centuries ago anyway)! :o

But who's watching at night?? :blink:

Unesco have spies EVERYWHERE!!! ;)

Also, will there be direct overhead shots of the main pool?

Yes there will.

I just hope they don't mess up the interior with loads of branding. That back wall is amazing enough without it being covered up with lots of 'London 2012s'.

If you know what I mean.

Archived