Aquatics Centre Construction Thread

Rob2012

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks amazing ,it’s a shame they have to add the temporary stands,

What is wrong with having the stands??!!

People really need to get over the fact that its only rational to have temp stands instead of a gigantic swimming venue after the Games that is unsustainable!

It's a shame because they're not the best looking things in the world. But you're right that their inclusion is completely understandable and a very sensible decision to have made. And if it's obvious the temporary element isn't a part of the main structure - what CABE calls the legibility of the temporary structures against the permanant - people seeing the venue will understand this as well.

It's a shame because they're not the best looking things in the world. But you're right that their inclusion is completely understandable and a very sensible decision to have made. And if it's obvious the temporary element isn't a part of the main structure - what CABE calls the legibility of the temporary structures against the permanant - people seeing the venue will understand this as well.

I agree it may not be the most beautiful thing around but with so much constraints around the site and budget, I am not surprised they end up with this. When most of the budget for the aquatics centre is funnelled towards the legacy part of the building, they can only make good of whats left for the temp stands.

I believe the temp stand is coherent with the look of other temp venue in the Park eg. basketball and water polo. I suspect the aquatics temp stand actually set the precedent for the look of those venues (white PVC fabric, boxy look). Anyways, hope ppl will see the rationale side instead of keep expecting it to be like the Water Cube.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Its getting there.....

Grandstand being erected next to the London 2012 Aquatics Centre

Hi, just noticed the link to one of my pics from insde the park.

just to let you know there's a photo blog (with ZERO ads) I run which has regular updates from in and around the park, only a photo blog, but might be interesting.

www.insidelondon2012.blogspot.com

You Can also follow on twitter here: www.twitter.com/insideLDN2012

I do.. Have done since Aug '08. Have mainly unrestricted access to everywhere except actually inside the Major Venues (Satdium, Velo and Aquatics) but everything else I can get right up to.

Great pictures ,

I was there today I notice the tree planting is coming along,

Big ish trees , but nothing on the scale of a Douglas fir , or may be that’s asking to much,

Also the flood lights on the stadium roof came on for a bit

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived