Aquatics Centre Construction Thread

Rob2012

Final preparations are underway for the lift of the 2,800 tonne Aquatics Centre roof, which will be lifted next month.

Thirty pairs of temporary support trestles up to 20m high have been put in place to support the huge steel trusses that will form the sweeping wave-shaped roof of the Aquatics Centre, which will be the gateway to the Olympic Park during the London 2012 Games and in legacy.

The steel roof of the Zaha Hadid designed venue will start to be lifted into place next month. After the 160m long roof is in place, which will be longer than the span of Heathrow Terminal Five, it will be lowered into its permanent position on three concrete supports.

The sweeping roof, which is 160m long and 80m at its widest point, is an innovative 2,800 tonne steel structure with a striking and robust aluminium covering resting on three supports.

Over 20,000 tonnes of concrete have been poured to complete the southern roof support and on the two northern roof supports which are almost complete.

Newport based company Rowecord is supplying the fabricated steel for the trusses and the roof beams to the construction contractor in a deal worth over £10m. The roof steel is being rolled in Gateshead, Motherwell and Scunthorpe by two different companies.

"Work on the Aquatics Centre is on track and final preparations are underway to lift the huge steel roof - one of the most challenging construction and engineering jobs on the Park," said ODA Chief Executive David Higgins.

"The sweeping wave-shaped roof will be a fantastic gateway to the Games and the venue will provide swimming and diving facilities in legacy that London does not currently have. Steel fabricated in Wales and rolled in the north of England and Scotland is an integral part of successfully completing this challenging lift and demonstrates the role that companies across the UK are playing in helping deliver the venues and infrastructure for the London 2012 Games."

http://www.nce.co.uk/news/2009/02/aquatics...next_month.html

Keep an eye on the webcam!

net_resized_250_tcm15-1985838.jpg

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2240481908_c8675fc867_o.jpg

Somehow even thou I think the capital construction phase in London is quite a car wreck at points I am actually warming to the look of the venues. London 2012 tends to remind me too much of Montreal with some of the stories. I prefer the minimalist approach simply because what it comes down to is a Sport Festival with Athletes.

I like this new view of the Aquatics Centre thou

Jim Jones

Well, during the Olympics it will also have two temporary "wings" so won't look quite as graceful as the picture above which I posted to give an idea of the shape of the roof which will be lifted into place in a month.

I was going to post this news in the design thread but thought it'd be worth starting a new construction thread now things are really going on this venue. It'd be great if we can keep this thread relatively free of debates about whether the temporary stands will work, sightlines etc. and keep it to comments about the build itself.

:)

Well, that's the idea! Test events will be run in 2011 and early 2012. If they're not hosting events of some sort before the games - even if its just local teams and local residents making up the numbers - we'll all be on our toes during them!

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently part of the aquatics centre is to have a 'Living roof', covererd in grass and flowers to attract wildlife. I seem to remember a big green section on some renderings, not on the main sweeping bit but another section. I wondered at the time and now I have the answer, how lovely ; )

I've heard that the yet to be released designs for the media centre will almost certainly have a green roof, but I can't see it working on the curved roof of this building. I don't mean to sound condescending, but you're not getting the two stories confused are you?

• 4 weeks later...

I saw this last night as well.

Even for what passes as a positive news story on London 2012 this was a bit downbeat. I can't remember the exact wording but saying "this is the jewel in the crown of an otherwise dull park" seemed unduly negative, as if they felt guilty about running a good news story on 2012 and had to draw in the Evening Standard audience as well.

Good to see some pictures of the build on TV though.

And again, they always most interested about costs. Even when they decided to show Zaha talking (for that brief moment), it's edited to be about cost again. Cant they give us more insight from her about the design itself?

Archived