My Brother Got A Job In Singapore

Less than 2 weeks ago, my brother was offered and accepted (since there was nothing else here in Wziristan) a teaching job in Singapore for a digital animation arts school. I helped him get his airfare, his passport, his luggage, his pocket money etc.

He landed like 24 hours ago. What a f*cked up city it is. Even tho his working visa had already been approved.

1. He can't buy a cell phone w/o that visa. So he can't quickly call real estate agents to set up flat/apt viewing appts.

2. Can't open a checking account in that stupid city w/o a minimum of 3000SGD. So I don't know how he will be able to pay the down deposit for a flat.

3. Can open a savings w/ a 500 SGD minimum but what good is that for immediate needs??

So I don't know what other ANAL restrictions they will PUT on participants of the 2010 youth bash??? I hope people have a terrible exprience in Singapore and badmouth the f*cking city to death!!!

Less than 2 weeks ago, my brother was offered and accepted (since there was nothing else here in Wziristan) a teaching job in Singapore for a digital animation arts school. I helped him get his airfare, his passport, his luggage, his pocket money etc.

He landed like 24 hours ago. What a f*cked up city it is. Even tho his working visa had already been approved.

1. He can't buy a cell phone w/o that visa. So he can't quickly call real estate agents to set up flat/apt viewing appts.

2. Can't open a checking account in that stupid city w/o a minimum of 3000SGD. So I don't know how he will be able to pay the down deposit for a flat.

3. Can open a savings w/ a 500 SGD minimum but what good is that for immediate needs??

So I don't know what other ANAL restrictions they will PUT on participants of the 2010 youth bash??? I hope people have a terrible exprience in Singapore and badmouth the f*cking city to death!!!

Erm...perhaps some research needs to be done before making such a major decision in life. Is your brother incapable of seeking help for such basic needs prior to of after arriving in Singapore?

The said banking restrictions are bank-dependent. It is apparent you are only quoting the restrictions imposed by one local bank (DBS). UOB and OCBC allows you to open a current account for S$1000, and POSB lets you do a linked account for just S$500. Have you also not checked with the foreign banks operating in Singapore?

As for getting a simple mobile line, if your brother has problems, than I wonder what happened to the thousands of migrant workers who seem to have ears permanently stuck to their mobiles. If it is urgent, just use a freaking public phone to do a simple call. Otherwise, ask him to do basic research on getting a pre-paid or post-paid line unless he is devoid of any work permits, work passes and his passport!

Erm...perhaps some research needs to be done before making such a major decision in life. Is your brother incapable of seeking help for such basic needs prior to of after arriving in Singapore?

The said banking restrictions are bank-dependent. It is apparent you are only quoting the restrictions imposed by one local bank (DBS). UOB and OCBC allows you to open a current account for S$1000, and POSB lets you do a linked account for just S$500. Have you also not checked with the foreign banks operating in Singapore?

As for getting a simple mobile line, if your brother has problems, than I wonder what happened to the thousands of migrant workers who seem to have ears permanently stuck to their mobiles. If it is urgent, just use a freaking public phone to do a simple call. Otherwise, ask him to do basic research on getting a pre-paid or post-paid line unless he is devoid of any work permits, work passes and his passport!

He landed in Singapore at 1:00Am with nary a soul to meet him -- on a Friday. The whole process was rush-rush. What he told me is what he was first told.

THANKS for your GREAT CONDESCENDING tone. With a tone like that, that's why SINGP isn't exactly on the list of my 10 places I want to see before I die.

Up yours!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

He landed in Singapore at 1:00Am with nary a soul to meet him -- on a Friday. The whole process was rush-rush. What he told me is what he was first told.

THANKS for your GREAT CONDESCENDING tone. With a tone like that, that's why SINGP isn't exactly on the list of my 10 places I want to see before I die.

Up yours!!

Perhaps you may wish to review the tone of your own initial post for once then, including insulting an entire country just because of your brother's "negative" experience. Understandably, you are probably upset because it was your brother, but your actions illicits the following immediate thoughts:

1. Both your brother and yourself know it was a "rush-rush" process. So if your brother cannot stomach this kind of breakneck speed, nor the possible hiccups which may occur as a result, why take up this job offer in the first place?

2. We have, so far, only heard this news from your brother's perspective. Just how reliable is it? Now of course you will trust your brother's views 100%, but sorry, he aren't my brother, and I am inclined to insist that his experience be verified.

3. If you have the time to spend your time spewing vulgarities against another country in this forums, why are you incapable of using that time for more production actions which can assist your brother? I was able to do simple research and come up with the suggestions in the previous post in no more than 5 mins. And yeah, where's the appreciation for the information provided?

And of course, this country can certainly do just fine without uncouth tourists who sprout obscenities or foreign workers who jump into decisions without doing their homework, only to turn around and whine later when things didn't quite go as they expect. No one owes your brother a job, and certainly not during an economic crisis of this magnitude. Be grateful for the offer that was given, and get over it!

Perhaps you may wish to review the tone of your own initial post for once then, including insulting an entire country just because of your brother's "negative" experience. Understandably, you are probably upset because it was your brother, but your actions illicits the following immediate thoughts:

1. Both your brother and yourself know it was a "rush-rush" process. So if your brother cannot stomach this kind of breakneck speed, nor the possible hiccups which may occur as a result, why take up this job offer in the first place?

2. We have, so far, only heard this news from your brother's perspective. Just how reliable is it? Now of course you will trust your brother's views 100%, but sorry, he aren't my brother, and I am inclined to insist that his experience be verified.

3. If you have the time to spend your time spewing vulgarities against another country in this forums, why are you incapable of using that time for more production actions which can assist your brother? I was able to do simple research and come up with the suggestions in the previous post in no more than 5 mins. And yeah, where's the appreciation for the information provided?

And of course, this country can certainly do just fine without uncouth tourists who sprout obscenities or foreign workers who jump into decisions without doing their homework, only to turn around and whine later when things didn't quite go as they expect. No one owes your brother a job, and certainly not during an economic crisis of this magnitude. Be grateful for the offer that was given, and get over it!

go to hell, huawei. I don't owe you any full explanations either.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Then don't air your dirty linen in public and tell the whole world how pertetic you are in handling this little affair or yours.

It was intended to be shared with what I consider (my) friendly spirits on this board -- which OBVIOUSLY does NOT include condescending, malevolent pervs like you.

And you know you're NOT going to get the last word in on this...

"Oh, I'm in a fighting mood today..." ;)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

It was intended to be shared with what I consider (my) friendly spirits on this board -- which OBVIOUSLY does NOT include condescending, malevolent pervs like you.

And I suppose you forgot to realise that this is a public board, and not some private noticeboard that only your "friendly spirits" can see. That I am the only one who bothers to reply, while they stay largely silent either means 1) your attempts to reach out to your target audience isn't quite up to mark or 2) you actually do not have many "friendly spirits" to talk to in the first place.

How sad.

And you know you're NOT going to get the last word in on this...

Q: "Why do people who must always have the last word need or want that?"

A: "Control....the need to end things when they think it's over."

A: "They are usually at heart unsure of their own worth, and so need to establish dominance by having the last word. It is like the final stroke of a sword in a battle."

A: "Exactly - Win. But it comes down to something deeper: pride.

"If I get the last word in, I win the argument."

Whoever gets the last word doesn't get argued against - not in that conversation, anyway.

It will also leave them with the feeling of 'being right'. "

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/298096

In my profession, I always have, and I am expected to have, the last word...so much so that I am absolutely sick of it. So if you must have your way to be sure of your own worth, be my guest! :P

Actually, I didn't expect much of a response because it's not like there is a large Singapore contingent here. Plus I got a private reply or 2. So, duh!!

"Surprising Singapore" was a touristy marketing tagline for some time.

As for the rest of your diatribe -- BORING.

If you require entertainment, you must be holing up somewhere for too long. Get a life.

This fucking country has nothing but bad memories for me. I am fucking leaving it once I complete eveything.

That explains. Somehow I have always found your comments uncharacteristic of a true-blue Singaporean. This country can only benefit when the unhappy folks leave, so balik kampong!