cfm Jeremie

The IOC announced today that:

China (Nanjing)

Indonesia (Djakarta)

Mexico (city to be announced)

Morocco (city to be announced)

Poland (Poznan)

Turkey (city to be announced)

are candidates for the 2nd Summer YOG in 2014.

Interesting to see that China is in bidding mode (à la Korea) and that only Poznan is back from the 2010 field.

Go Morocco!!

Moroccos to loose - IOC will see as a chance to take the Games to Africa

That would be an irony if the Olympics first come to Africa via the YOGs.

What cities in Morocco would likely have the best infrastructure for them? I'm assuming the same rules apply as for 2010 - no new major works?

Moroccos to loose - IOC will see as a chance to take the Games to Africa

It sure would be nice.

If Morocco can come up with a decent candidate, it would be a great opportunity for both Africa and the Olympic Movement.

It will also help to assess whether Nawal is a rising star within the IOC or not (and I am convinced she is).

I would say either Morocco or Turkey.

They'll probably give to Turkey then. So in a way it would be a consolation prize for all the failed actual Olympic Istanbul bids. Kinda like the IOC giving Innsbruck the inaugural YWOG's as a consolation to Austria for all their failed actual Winter Olympic bids.

Thoughts and observations...

China (Nanjing)

One of my favourite Chinese cities. Nanjing has a very strong youth vibe - lots of Universities and it's actually a pretty city too. I think they are a long shot but I am glad the Chinese are spreading the evnts around - Beijing '08, HK East Asian Games '09, Guangzhou Asian Games '10, Shanghai Expo '10 and doesnt Harbin have a Universiade or something coming up? No way to Nanjing - but I like the logic. Nanjing has great venues on the ground now too.

Indonesia (Jakarta)

Right out of left field. Along with their 2018/22 World Cup bid, I think INdonesia is just testing the waters. Their leg of the Asian Cup tournament in 2007 was relatively well run (ahem Thailand - I'm looking at you) so who knows? I doubt the 2nd YOG will go to Indo straight after Singapore...

Mexico (city to be announced)

Surely Monterrey is a more likely candidate? Kiddies struggling to breath at altitude in that smog is an insane concept. And MOnterrey needs a few multisport events beofr eany Olympic bid is taken seriously.

Morocco (city to be announced)

Hmm, Rabat? Casablanca? Maybe Marrakesh-Marrakech whatever? I was a big fan of their 2010 World Cup bid but they are still slogging away at building the 'non bid dependent' stadia - so I dunno. And after the Dakar rally cancelling due to regional instability it would be a bold IOC to go for Morocco. I do wish for a future Olympic bid though - so maybe... By far the most interesting bid...

Poland (Poznan)

I don't know much abour Poznan per se but maybe the IOC will wait to see how Poland handles Euro 2012. Surely a Zakopane WYOG bid is a wiser move?

Turkey (city to be announced)

Istanbul NEEDS to host multi-sport events to prove to the IOC they are ready for the big time Games. Any other city would almost be offensive.

Finally it must said -

Who really fucking cares?

The instability in the region is Mauritania not Morocco. That is way the Dakar Rally was canceled. Morocco is relatively stable.

Dig a little deeper Faster - there is renewed instability in the 'Western Sahara' enclave within Morocco as well as next door in Algeria. Thus Morocco currently has unstable neighbours on both sides as well as an internal conflict that isn't ending any time soon. Sure - the North is relatively safe and prosperous - and it hasn't stopped the IOC giving the Games to Sochi which is likewise in a volatile region. I just don't know if I can see the kiddy Games going to a country with dubious human rights and a strengthening Islamic culture... oh hang on. Singapore 2010 right? Silly me!

Furthermore there were rumbles of a Sydney bid (since they stage the Aussie YOG when they feel the urge) - but it has yet to surface. Brisbane should be getting in on the act.

Dig a little deeper Faster - there is renewed instability in the 'Western Sahara' enclave within Morocco as well as next door in Algeria. Thus Morocco currently has unstable neighbours on both sides as well as an internal conflict that isn't ending any time soon. Sure - the North is relatively safe and prosperous - and it hasn't stopped the IOC giving the Games to Sochi which is likewise in a volatile region. I just don't know if I can see the kiddy Games going to a country with dubious human rights and a strengthening Islamic culture... oh hang on. Singapore 2010 right? Silly me!

Furthermore there were rumbles of a Sydney bid (since they stage the Aussie YOG when they feel the urge) - but it has yet to surface. Brisbane should be getting in on the act.

Western Sahara will be settled once Morocco realizes the obvious, its independent.

You can't really say that the Algerian border is bad, its sparsely populated with Berber and away from the main populations of Algerians that run along the cost around Algiers.

Morocco is one of the more progressive Islamic countries, and have hosted many youth events in the past, so I think it is a non-issue, especially since it is more than likely Casablanca.

Frankly you are wrong.

Western Sahara will never be independent and they will be consistently aggrieved about that fact. As for Algeria there is a large movement to implement Sharia law in the western provinces that border Morocco - this will directly impact the nomadic people who live along the border.

Morocco may be progressive - and I have actually been to Morocco - but they are a long way off being an open society.

They may be an OK host for the YOGs - but it will be a considerable risk for the IOC and the kiddies.

Pups, in regards to Western Sahara- the SADR is the de facto government of about half the territory and only Moroccan tantrums keep it from full independence.

I know Morocco and the region is not perfect but it is not a bleak picture either. Morocco has a large tourism income and they are determined to protect it. The problems in Algeria are not pleasant but are not endemic to a larger problem, introducing Sharia Law is not the end of the world and many Muslims would prefer it and often in more moderate countries certain parts of the Laws are ignored because of modern practices as shown by Nigeria's introduction of Sharia about 7 years ago. Sharia is not apart of radical Islam, it is apart of Islam that Muslims believe Allah has commanded through the Prophet Mohammad.

Morocco has successfully hosted major youth tournaments and international gatherings before now and has not had a problem. Morocco is stable, relatively well-off and more tolerate than many other Muslim countries. Morocco would be a risk but not a significant enough one to negate their abilities to host.

I know I am more sympathetic to Morocco than I am to many other countries but I still believe that Morocco and Casablanca specifically could carry off hosting the Youth Games without a problem.

I really can't believe when I read about Jakarta will bid for 2014, It's 99.99 % impossible for Jakarta to be the 2014 host, right after Singapore...

Beside that I also don't know what happen with my leader thought, right now we bidding for WC 2018/2022, YOG 2014, AG 2014, will be the host of Sea games 2011, and Maybe if we fail for WC 2018/2022, we will bis for WC u-21..., and also there are some rumor too that maybe Jakarta will bid for SOG 2020 or 2024

It's crazy my country is not ready yet, and if we have a lot of money to make that bid, better for us to increase Indonesia people live first

I have to back Morocco.

Whether they have all the facilities in place is another issue.

I don't believe they are a considerable risk. On a scale of 1-10, 10 being impossible risk, I'd say they are 3-5.

Dont deny Africa you colonialists!

Who really fucking cares?

Then why post in this thread?

Most of the candidates just do not quite fit the profile of a "small emerging city" (sans those without a city identified), so I would probably support the bids from Morocco and Poland.

Archived