Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mr.x

Three Years Ago.... Torino 2006 Opening Ceremony

IMO, it was a horribly, disjointed, cliche, and tacky mess. It may have represented to history of Piedmont and Torino, but the way it was executed was just terrible. The Closing Ceremonies were even worst.....

What do you think?

Well, I didn't especially care for Torino Opening (not bad, but nothing exceptional).

On the other hand, I loved the Closing: very festive, colourful, funny, moving (the Olympic Flag leaving the stadium on Va Pensiero)... Heck, I am even one of the few fans of Vancouver presentation.

Of course, I had much better seat for Closing than Opening.

It wasn't my favourite, but I didn't hate it. There were some cool and fun moments (I liked the Ferrari and the anvil scene), but a few that were too subtle or a bit boring or didn't make sense (Yoko Ono?) and there were oddities with the flow, but again it had great moments. Pavarotti was magic and the Italian flag segment was elegant...and why not get a hot Italian born French First Lady supermodel singer song writer to carry the flag! I didn't care for the cauldron or the way it was lit...dramatic, but not pure, and the cauldron looked like an oil refinery. But the formation of the dove and the Olympic rings was very cool.

The singing of the national anthem was also lovely. The Italian anthem is one of those special anthems that can be presented so dramatically and they did a good job in presenting it.

Honestly, I didn't find it all that bad but the worse point was Vancouver 2010 handover....... it was just inappropriate! Maybe vancouver will duplicate it ona large scale next year. If it does, Canada should be banned from hosting international events!

Honestly, I didn't find it all that bad but the worse point was Vancouver 2010 handover....... it was just inappropriate! Maybe vancouver will duplicate it ona large scale next year. If it does, Canada should be banned from hosting international events!

You'd be surprised to know that the Cirque du Soleil directed the Vancouver 2010 handover. They directed the show as if it were one of their own shows, which involves way too much abstract symbolism.....the ice fisherman pulling out a fish was somehow suppose to represent a new Canada, and the ice cracking was suppose to represent the Canada welcoming the world.

That's the reason why VANOC rejected Cirque du Soleil directing the ceremonies, as the Cirque - and its ego - wanted to manage the ceremonies in every aspect.

And so, they went with David Atkins - creator of Sydney 2000 and Doha 2006 - instead. :)

Thnks for clarifying............but its a real pity there was no one with enough artistic and directitorial skill in the whole of that giant country called Canada who could do the job and do a stunning job at that.

Thnks for clarifying............but its a real pity there was no one with enough artistic and directitorial skill in the whole of that giant country called Canada who could do the job and do a stunning job at that.

Well, the Cirque du Soleil is definitely capable but they wouldn't give us the type of opening ceremony we'd want.

Keep in mind that it's not just David Atkins Enterprises in the 2010 Creative Team, there are quite a few Canadians working alongside with Atkins.

It wasn't my favourite, but I didn't hate it. There were some cool and fun moments (I liked the Ferrari and the anvil scene), but a few that were too subtle or a bit boring or didn't make sense (Yoko Ono?) and there were oddities with the flow, but again it had great moments. Pavarotti was magic and the Italian flag segment was elegant...and why not get a hot Italian born French First Lady supermodel singer song writer to carry the flag! I didn't care for the cauldron or the way it was lit...dramatic, but not pure, and the cauldron looked like an oil refinery. But the formation of the dove and the Olympic rings was very cool.

Quite agree with Ken on that. Hated all the mechanical parts to it: the Ferrari; those stupid Olympic ris wherein it looked like the acrobats were having orgasms with said rings.

Opening was nothing special. Except for the anvil; but it looks like it had all been done before.

Closing -- the Brides of Dracula number??WTF??? :blink:

I absolutely agree. The opening ceremony had some cool elements but due to the numerous weaker elements (the horrid English announcer, the repetitive and somehow antagonistic theme music, Yoko Ono, the unimaginative arrangement of the Olympic Anthem etc.), my overall impression was that of a rather random and anaemic ceremony.

On the other hand, I liked the closing ceremony much better -- it was more consistent and more elegant IMO.

I thought Torino's ceremonies were really great! Everything had a colorful but nighttime kind of feel, and nothing was overly tacky. There was a real romance about it and not so technician or overly grandiose.

I remember I was watching the ceremony on ESPN Brasil and those motherf****** switched the broadcast to the amazing Womens Billiards Championship. Then they shifted to Torino again as the torch entered the stadium...

I watched the show later on youtube and some parts were very nice: the anvil, those rollers, that giant skier, the lighting was fake but looked good and the cauldron had a nice shape but it seemed too thin on TV (something like a burning pole). I liked it anyway, my second favourite of the winter games, behind the Salt Lake one.

The London 2012 logo would fit perfectly in the Torino ceremonies, don't you agree? A crazy logo for a crazy show.

BTW, Torino 2007 Winter Universiade slogan was something "crazy" wasn't it? :lol: