Does Your Bid CEO Deserve to be OCOG President

Okay, with only a few days to go now, I was wondering if anyone feels strongly one way or the other about the current bid chief of your fave bid going on, in the event of a successful vote next Wednesday, becoming the president or overall boss of that cities 2012 organizing committee. Seb Coe has already been named in that position for London, but what about the others? I'd be particularly interested to see if NYC folk think Doctoroff particularly should get the job, considering the stuff up/quick fix stadium issue?

Interesting topic, afterall one of the top rank IOC delegates named Geihard Heiberg was the CEO of Lillehammer.

And of course Gianna Discoteqopolice (I know, bad joke) got the Athens 2004 gigs, and Rod McGeoch was touted for the Sydney 2000 job before he said no thanks

John Furlong of Vancouver and Billy Payne of Atlanta also lead their city's respective bids and OCOG's.  Jean Claude Killy of France was the co-leader of the Albertville Games.

So, it is likely these folks will stay in place if they win.

And if they win, they should be able to hold onto their jobs...what a tough job it is to win this race!

John Furlong of Vancouver and Billy Payne of Atlanta also lead their city's respective bids and OCOG's.  Jean Claude Killy of France was the co-leader of the Albertville Games.

So, it is likely these folks will stay in place if they win.

And if they win, they should be able to hold onto their jobs...what a tough job it is to win this race!

I'm very sure one can add Frank King here with Calgary 1988.

Interesting topic, afterall one of the top rank IOC delegates named Geihard Heiberg was the CEO of Lillehammer.

And of course Gianna Discoteqopolice (I know, bad joke) got the Athens 2004 gigs, and Rod McGeoch was touted for the Sydney 2000 job before he said no thanks

Gianna Angelopoulos-Daskalaki.   :D

I don't know about the other cities including my top 2 P and L, but I saw Dan Doctoroff on Charlie Rose last night and boy he sounded really cocky. He, who is also the deputy mayor of NY Devlopment and Rebuilding, couldn't seem to stop raving about Michael Bloomberg.

I have a feeling that if elected and the current CEO becomes the head of the OC, the NY games would be nothing but a political machine to get Bloomberg re-elected during the post-9/11 hype slump. If NY does win I sincerely hope a different person is in charge.

Gianna Angelopoulos-Daskalaki.   :D

I don't know about the other cities including my top 2 P and L, but I saw Dan Doctoroff on Charlie Rose last night and boy he sounded really cocky. He, who is also the deputy mayor of NY Devlopment and Rebuilding, couldn't seem to stop raving about Michael Bloomberg.

I have a feeling that if elected and the current CEO becomes the head of the OC, the NY games would be nothing but a political machine to get Bloomberg re-elected during the post-9/11 hype slump. If NY does win I sincerely hope a different person is in charge.

This is the sort of vibe I thought might be the case about the NYC team...Doctoroff and Bloomberg seem to have run the bid as much as a domestic political and financial campaign as opposed to an international sporting and marketing campaign. The West Side stadium debacle was very quickly fixed, which shows great reactive talents from the bid team...the problem is would these same skills be there if Doctoroff got the OCOG's head job.

Looking back over the names above, it seems to me that for every Heiberg and Angelopoulos-Daskalaki you get at bid time, who can progress and preside over a successful OCOG, you also have the likes of Billy Payne or Jean Claude Killy who has to wrestle with problems from shifting from bid to organisation models. Doctoroff has a similiar whiff about him...whereas Coe reminds me of Ueberroth, McGeoch and Heiberg.

Uhmmm...no.  Peters Spurney (Lake Placid 1980), Ueberroth (1984) and Mitt Romney (SLC, 2002) were not part of the original bid teams.  They were picked later.  (Billy Payne actually did not want to run ACOG.  He was just prevailed upon to do so.)  

And if you ask me, I think London naming Coe as its OCOG president is bad luck.  Too presumptuous; tempts the gods of the Games.

Doctoroff says he will be the OCOG president if NYC wins.

The two positions, however, are very different.

A bid president is more of a sales job.  You try to sell your bid to the three most important audiences - the people who will back your bid, the sponsors who will pay for your bid and the IOC who will vote on your bid.

An OCOG president has to be a general to muster the troops, organize the Games, clear the path ahead and watch out for incoming problems.

Sometimes those are two very different skill sets.

Doctoroff says he will be the OCOG president if NYC wins.

The two positions, however, are very different.

A bid president is more of a sales job.  You try to sell your bid to the three most important audiences - the people who will back your bid, the sponsors who will pay for your bid and the IOC who will vote on your bid.

An OCOG president has to be a general to muster the troops, organize the Games, clear the path ahead and watch out for incoming problems.

Sometimes those are two very different skill sets.

Spot on Kendegra...it takes a very very special talent (plus undoubtedly a huge ego) to be able to do both jobs. Taking the case of Billy Payne, I wonder if in fact he over-reached himself, whereas someone like Rod McGeoch knew what the task of OCOG CEO meant and steered clear of it because he foresaw the managerial and political problems that lay ahead.

I can speak of the Madrid, Moscow and Paris bid presidents, but whilst I think Seb Coe would make a good OCOG head, I have extreme doubts about Doctoroff. Coe has turned a marginal bid around into a very strong one, presided over some insightful changes to the planning and organisational team, and has significant political and Olympic experience; London 2012 could do a lot worse. As Argentak intimates, Doctoroff comes across more as a political operative and booster who has made some serious lapses of judgement (i.e. the West Side stadium debacle), and his focus is far more on working the numbers and dollars back home as opposed to running an effective OCOG.

Archived