Is This Really Phelps?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rotel.........it seems you have a remarkable inner strength in dealing with recreational drug use. Naturally, your response is very individualistic. So is everyone who uses drugs recreationally able to exhibit such strength? Your strength seem to ne of mature adult.What about kids ( especially, as it seems to be the case,) who are just around 23 years old or even below 30 years for that matter?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that you just can't write off the fact that Phelps "Just used pot that's all". Has Mark Spitz ever used pot ( seriously, I dont' know so it would be interesting if someone would tell me please). If Hussain Bolt were caught smoking a joint, how do you think he would be treated? He would most certainly be cannabalized....and being black?.....and from jamaica?...... most definitely. Maybe Amy Winehouse's long road to ruin may have started with recreational drug use.........or not......who knows? But no one can deny that she is a wreck because of it. Would you hold her up as a model to be emulated? Do you even think Obama is proud of his experimentation with drugs? Or do you think he just shared that info to make him seem more approachable to american youth electorate.....I don't know. If he did manipulate it because of that, our country is really in a poor shape.

Rotel.........it seems you have a remarkable inner strength in dealing with recreational drug use. Naturally, your response is very individualistic. So is everyone who uses drugs recreationally able to exhibit such strength? Your strength seem to ne of mature adult.What about kids ( especially, as it seems to be the case,) who are just around 23 years old or even below 30 years for that matter?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is filtered through my generally libertarian view of most things in life - if you're not hurting or forcing something on someone else, and you're making an informed and independent choice, go for it!

As to recreational drugs in particular, my personal view is it's like just about anything we can injest in our bodies - in moderation, most things are fine. Overindulging on anything from individual foods, sugar, tobacco and alcohol to most recreational drugs can be harmful. Used responsibly and in moderation they can all be pleasurable and harmless.

From personal experience and that of peers, friends and acquaintances, the large majority of people who have experimented with or occasionally still use recreational drugs (and most of this usually does take place in their teens and 20s) have handled it responsibly and positively. My experiences with people who have used drugs irresponsibly and negatively is not insignificant but not large either. And the vast, indeed overwhelming, majority of those irresponsible and negative cases with drug use have been with the two most socially acceptable and legal of them - tobacco and alcohol. My personal experience with people who have become harmfully dependent on ILLEGAL drugs is few, and mostly peripheral within the milieus I move, eeven though they are ones where use of all forms of recreational drugs is accepted and fairly common. As to myself, I may use, but apart from daily use of tobacco, drugs are not a significant or important part of my life.

All of which is peripheral to the Phelps issue. As I've tried to get across, as regards the bong, to me he's done nothing that a majority of people I know have done, especially at around his same age. The issue really is about the fact that what he did is still putatively illegal. It's NOT as if it's performance enhancing - it does not have any affect on be able to carry out his major and regular career of swimming except negatively - you wouldn't get stoned before a big swim at a major meet just as you wouldn't get drunk either, it would just stuff your performance up. Whether he should face penalties because he indulged in an activity that is illegal is then a civil matter, but a civil matter that many, many people from the President of the USA down to occasional tokers have felt is largely irrelevant.

most 16-35 year olds will have tried it - it is part of youth culture and that ain't ever gonna change! he really should be allowed to get on with what he is good at = entertainning the world! i mean really who cares? BORING!

But you are making some sweeping generalizations. Many people have tried pot or used some other soft drugs in a recreational way. They try it out of curiosity, get over it and move on with their lives. But then there are others who have deeper personal issues and just can't control themselves around anything. We are not all the same. We all do things for different reasons.

I think the story with Phelps is that, yes, in life you make mistakes and there are both consequences and lessons. He will have to deal with both. But I think he will come out of it fine. I can't see him becoming a drug addict...unless everyone turns their back on him and tries to crush his spirit by perpetually punishing him for this one indiscretion. So he'll lose some endorsements. And he'll lose some fans. But he'll also learn a few lessons and if he's smart, he'll turn this crisis into an opportunity and maybe gain more from that than he would from being "perfect".

Very well said except for your "perfect" ending. I'm not suggesting that there is a human being who is perfect. I'm just wondering why someone who is at the top, quite literally of their game is smoking pot. You mentioned that it was one indescretion. Was it an indescretion because he was "caught" by a smart photographer or do you have undeniabl evidence that proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the photo was taken just when he was trying pot for the first time? Does Tiger Woods do pot? I dunno.........Does Serena Williams do pot? I dunno........... I just don't get why he would have to turn to pot. But you know what kendegra?................. usually? in cases like this?......................it speaks to something else that's going on. I hope it doesn't embarras american sports.

Very well said except for your "perfect" ending. I'm not suggesting that there is a human being who is perfect. I'm just wondering why someone who is at the top, quite literally of their game is smoking pot. You mentioned that it was one indescretion. Was it an indescretion because he was "caught" by a smart photographer or do you have undeniabl evidence that proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the photo was taken just when he was trying pot for the first time? Does Tiger Woods do pot? I dunno.........Does Serena Williams do pot? I dunno........... I just don't get why he would have to turn to pot. But you know what kendegra?................. usually? in cases like this?......................it speaks to something else that's going on. I hope it doesn't embarras american sports.

Oh my f-u-c-k. Taking a hit off of a bong at a party isn't "turning to pot", nor does it necessarily mean "something else is going on". Jesus Fucking Christ.

What is this "something else" that is going on? Are you suggesting that he is a chronic pot head?

My suggestion is that he did something out of curiosity, in search of fun and relaxation after an intense period of stress and training.

And then some dick head friend snapped a photo and sold it to the British press.

What is up with all this moral panic, Czar? Phelps has not suddenly become a desparate addict! He's just had a bit of a party, let his hair down, and some jerk figured they could cash in by selling a photo to the worst gutter rag of the UK press.

Tell me, have you ever "turned" to drink? Have you ever had a glass of wine? What made you "turn" to it? Are you now coping? Is it hard now controlling your lust for alcohol if you've "turned" to it in the past?

No! But why are you guys convinced that it just might be his first time? that somehow he was experimenting. Does someone have the actual photo and can post it here?

So what if it wasn't his first time? It probably wasn't. The "friends" quoted in the News Of The World story seemd to suggest he handled the bong with an experienced hand. But even if he has tried it multiple times in the past, so what? So he likes to kick back with a bong. Big Deal! Anyway, it's pretty clear he wouldn't be a regular, chronic or sustained user - firstly, it would have showed up in in-competition drug testing, and secondly, he'd have been unlikely to get eight golds at one games if he was a dedicated, uncontrollable pot head.

Mind you, the Phelps Diet would help with the munchies!

Anyway, so if I saw a pic of you with a glass of wine in your hand, maybe enjoying yourself at a party or offering a toast at a formal event, I can conclude from that that you are a problem drinker and probably need to drink every day? It's the same thing!

If Phelps had been a chronic pot head, it would have come out before in his drug tests. And if there were many instances of him being a chronic pot head, the story and pics would have come out before or even during the Olympics so as to embarrass him and his country.

And while none of us really knows his history with marijuana, isn't it a bit presumptive to think that he has a problem? Besides, most research that I've read says marijuana isn't addictive and it isn't the gateway drug many claim it to be.

Ahhhhhhh.........but you see, if indeed it is true ( according to the News of the world report) that he handled the bong with an experienced hand, and if it doesn't show up in his "in competition" tests, then it would appear that has established a habit of convenient drug use. Meaning that he could use drugs when not in competition mode and when competition time nears.....clean himself up! Listen, I don't want to appear as if i'm all out to get him....he's an american for crying out loud.....but I'm not going to support drug use in sports and for me that means scrutinizing ALL athletes irrespective of country, class, creed, professional or amature......its just the american way of doing what's fair.

Ahhhhhhh.........but you see, if indeed it is true ( according to the News of the world report) that he handled the bong with an experienced hand, and if it doesn't show up in his "in competition" tests, then it would appear that has established a habit of convenient drug use. Meaning that he could use drugs when not in competition mode and when competition time nears.....clean himself up! Listen, I don't want to appear as if i'm all out to get him....he's an american for crying out loud.....but I'm not going to support drug use in sports and for me that means scrutinizing ALL athletes irrespective of country, class, creed, professional or amature......its just the american way of doing what's fair.

Okay, that’s fair enough. As I’ve also said, the issue here isn’t that he chose to suck a bong or two down – a practice that many people wouldn’t bat an eyelid about, but that he did something illegal in the eyes of the law and in the eyes of the rules governing his sport. I’ll certainly agree with you on the issues around that, even if I still doubt any link between pot being a gateway drug to performance enhancers or chronic use of other substances. Personally, I feel that the sanctions that have been put on Phelps already are of the right proportion and puts him on notice now that he WILL be under more scrutiny in the future.

Okay, that’s fair enough.

No it's not. The only drugs that really matter here are performance enhancing drugs, which he clearly has never done. Marijuana may be banned in competition by FINA/WADA but if Michael tokes on a joint or whatever once in awhile in his off season I couldn't care less, as it doesn't boost performance. It's him doing it in view of strangers and CAMERAS that was his stupidity.

Archived