Is This Really Phelps?

Excuse me? Just a normal young Kid? Are you for real? How is it that if any top class athlete from any other country were caught "easing tension and stress" by smoking pot they would be immediately punished for the act? Can you imagine the grilling Hussien Bolt would get if it were him in a photo smoking pot after the Olympics? Everyone would go out of his/her way to have him crushed. And, because he is black, they will definitely put in the extra effort to ensure that he is crushed into non-existence. This just opens the pandora's box for me personally now. If Phelps could use pot, whose to say that he wasn't doing some new fangle designer drug to help him accomplish the feat he did in Beijing 2008? The facade is starting to crumble......lets see where this story leads next.

Well, FINA seem far less concerned than you:

FINA statement regarding Michael Phelps

Wed Feb 04, 2009 By Universal Sports

Last weekend, a photo depicting Michael Phelps allegedly smoking from a marijuana pipe surfaced.

FINA, the governing body for international swimming, has released a statement regarding the Michael Phelps situation from this week. Below is the statement in its entirety.

"After acknowledging the behaviour of Michael Phelps (USA), the greatest Olympian ever and best swimmer in history, FINA would like to reiterate its confidence and admiration for a young champion that publicly apologised for his act.

"Following his unprecedented eight gold medals in a single edition of the Olympic Games, Michael Phelps definitively became a model for youth worldwide. His achievements, winning attitude and respect for his opponents are values that will remain in the history of sport.

"As a citizen, Michael Phelps displayed inappropriate behaviour, but his sincere regret and the promise that such a situation will not happen again are sufficient guarantees that this great star will continue generating respect and appreciation to all fans of our sport around the globe.

"FINA certainly counts on Michael Phelps to highlight the next editions of the FINA World Championships and other prestigious swimming competitions in the future.

The kid smoked a bong. Big Deal! I've had my fair share of hits over the years as well. There'd be few people I know that haven't partaken of pot at some stage. Jeez, even Obama's admitted to toking! And to compare it with performance-enhancing doping??????? Like right, it's sure gonna help him cheat.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be painting the country with a broad brush, but as the homeland of reggae, Marley, and the Rastafarian movement, I think it pretty safe to say that Jamaica is rather liberal when it comes to the consumption of cannabis products.

No..........but that is a rather grotesque generalization kendegra! You can't no,... mustn't assume that because Jamaica is the home of rastafarianism, a religion which, by the way, places enormous spiritual emphasis on pot, that all Jamaicans do it. You shouldn't even assume that it is widespread!

I have never done pot and I am ferociously proud of that. I'm not perfect but you know what? I'm glad I didn't fall to that weakness. Just because Obama did it doesn't make it right either. So that means that I'm one up on the President of the United states and I really like that!

I have never done pot and I am ferociously proud of that.

:rolleyes:

If Phelps could use pot, whose to say that he wasn't doing some new fangle designer drug to help him accomplish the feat he did in Beijing 2008? The facade is starting to crumble......lets see where this story leads next.

To quote something someone wrote elsewhere:

"I've never seen such an stupid remark. It makes me want to pet you and tell you that its okay to be such a retard."

I have never done pot and I am ferociously proud of that. I'm not perfect but you know what? I'm glad I didn't fall to that weakness.

Well, good on you. I have (amongst many other recreational pharmaceuticals) and I'm not ashamed of that.

Personally, I believe alchohol, despite being the most socially acceptable of drugs, to be about the most destructive. I'm no teetotaller, but I always drink in moderation - I just don't like being drunk. Now, if Phelps had got rolling drunk, would there have been as much of an outcry? He probably would have acted a bit more rowdier on the booze than he would have on the weed (the main problem with pot is it makes most people boring and puts them to sleep).

I know Canada is very liberal on pot. And don't really care either.

Phelps is no more irresponsible than any human being. He made mistakes that are very common mistakes that young people make. The only difference is his profile.

But now did you suggest that Phelps will get off scott free because he's white? I think that is a little presumptive since he may face charges just as he did during his under-aged DUI.

Do they affect you negatively any way? and btw, would you say u're using them on doctor's orders?

Not sure who's answering who, here.

Anyway, about my drug use.

Do they affect me negatively? Well, personally, the most negative effects I've ever had from drug use has been with the most legal and accepted one - alchohol. In the past it's made me vomit, get sick, do stupid things and given me the worst hangover of the lot. My use of other, illegal, substances, has had far milder effects.

Do I use them on doctor's orders? No. Does my doc know I occasionally use? Yes. Is he judgemental? Not really? he's on my back more to quit tobacco than any other substance.

Clearly pot affects the brain when it has been used for a long time..... What if phelps just started? What if he took performance inhancing drugs to counter act the effects of the pot?

The jury's still out on that. It probably does - after sustained, heavy and chronic use over time. But then, so does the use of alchohol after a sustained, heavy and chronic use over time.

But Rotel..............you said your self THEY MADE YOU DO STPID THINGS...so I gather that you're not ashamed (equals "proud" imho) of doing stupid things?

I said alchohol made me do stupid things. Pot has just made me mellow. E has just made me horny and dance jiggy. Coke's made me energetic and bouncy. Speed's made me, well, speedy. Of them all, alchohol has had by far the most negative effects for me. I've never lost control of myself through other drugs as I have with alchohol.

I'm not proud of things I've done while drunk on booze. But nothing I'm especially ashamed of either - I've never drank and driven a vehicle, for example .

Archived