Why The Roof All The Time?

Why is the talk always ABOUT THE ROOF? What about the FLOOR of the stadium? :angry:

Isn't it about time the FLOOR also got equal time? I mean without the floor, there wouldn't be a roof!!

As DictatoRoyal of GB and FLOOR-SUPPORTER, I DEMAND that all discussion now be about the FLOOR of BC PLACE!! The FLOOR SUPPORTERS OF VANCOUVER and the World DEMAND IT!!!

BEGIN!!!

Why are you yelling?

Why is the talk always ABOUT THE ROOF? What about the FLOOR of the stadium? :angry:

Isn't it about time the FLOOR also got equal time? I mean without the floor, there wouldn't be a roof!!

As DictatoRoyal of GB and FLOOR-SUPPORTER, I DEMAND that all discussion now be about the FLOOR of BC PLACE!! The FLOOR SUPPORTERS OF VANCOUVER and the World DEMAND IT!!!

BEGIN!!!

mr.X, it seems you don't remember/know much about Torino 2006 Games.

Who cares about the floor, the fact is, that the Opening Ceremony of Torino was the best ever in the Winter Games history so far (that's what the world media said).They also awarded The Opening Ceremony as the best show of the year 2006.

There were late Luciano Pavarotti singing "Nessun dorma" and Peter Gabriel performed "Imagine" introduced by Yoko Ono, and also Formula 1 Ferrari on the stage, Carla Bruni Sarkozy (born in Torino) hand over the Italian flag... then the fantastic fireworks show and lighting the cauldron, that's possible to see (live) only in a stadium without a roof...

Like the one member of the VANOC said to the press, it's hard to do better.

I was lucky to be there.

yeah I know, and we've got Sarah McGlaughlin playing a piano and the Canucks.

Yes, let's discuss the Stadium floor.

BC Place's concrete floor will have to be sealed and waterproofed as after the dome explodes after the Flame cauldron is lit, they'll have to put on a new roof, which will take about a year

and rain water will flood BC Place.

Rain water will cascade down from the upper levels and pour down onto the lower levels and flood not only the floor but the lower concourses.

This is exactly what happened when the dome burst last time.

The neon signs at the top will be exposed to rain water and short circuit and explode sending sparks flying everywhere

You'd have thought he might have taken the hint eh Baron?!

Dream on, mate.

yeah...lol....but seriously, what does this tell us about canada in general?

What does your general lack of awareness tells us about the US of A?

Give it a rest. As a tax payer in this province, I think enough money has been put into the Olympics. No need to dump a half billion more into what is nothing more than a tent over a circus with a bonfire at its center ring.

The stadium has been there since 1983. It is no masterpiece of architecture, but it is only hosting the Olympic ceremony and the Olympic ceremony only lasts 3-4 hours under a veil of darkness. The stadium is only the container for the show, not the show itself. No one will notice it.

[T]he fact is, that the Opening Ceremony of Torino was the best ever in the Winter Games history so far (that's what the world media said).They also awarded The Opening Ceremony as the best show of the year 2006.

Say what? I was very disappointed with Torino's OC. It was deathly boring and the production looked very tacky. It was a disjointed mess.

Salt Lake's OC is definitely the one to beat.

mr.X, it seems you don't remember/know much about Torino 2006 Games.

Who cares about the floor, the fact is, that the Opening Ceremony of Torino was the best ever in the Winter Games history so far (that's what the world media said).They also awarded The Opening Ceremony as the best show of the year 2006.

There were late Luciano Pavarotti singing "Nessun dorma" and Peter Gabriel performed "Imagine" introduced by Yoko Ono, and also Formula 1 Ferrari on the stage, Carla Bruni Sarkozy (born in Torino) hand over the Italian flag... then the fantastic fireworks show and lighting the cauldron, that's possible to see (live) only in a stadium without a roof...

Like the one member of the VANOC said to the press, it's hard to do better.

I was lucky to be there.

Thank you very much, but I do remember.....the stadium floor was set as some sort of piazza and with an opera stage.

And FYI, the Torino show was terrible. It basically had a handful of segments that were put together without any flow or relation, not to mention that the segments themselves were awful. Salt Lake City's ceremonies are the ones Vancouver will beat, and the ceremonies at Sydney, Athens, and Beijing are the ones Vancouver should use as examples.

Yoko Ono's poem was terrible, the Formula 1 Ferrari was awkward in the ceremony, and the only highlight was Pavarotti's "Nessun dorma".

Not to mention that the flame lighting wasn't even real, it was electronic. It may have been all flashy with sparks flying everywhere, but the Olympic flame did not light the cauldron itself.

Torino Opening Ceremony narrated about the past and the present of the city of Torino.

Who doesn't know nothing about the city and it's history probably didn't understand the ceremony.

What seemed to you a "show with a handful of segments put together without any relation", narrated instead the history of Torino from Renaissance and Baroque to the industrial city that it's now.

The Ferrari on the stage was there simply because Ferrari belongs to the FIAT group that comes from Torino.

The Winter Games aren't not the same as Summer Games, especially in budget, so I really don't understand why Vancouver should use them as examples for the Opening Ceremony.

I thought Torino's floor was a representation of a human heart?

I think like the negative space in the middle of the medals, it was suppose to be a representation of Torino's basic theme and motif - the piazza, and allude to the human heart - life, energy, passion, etc.

Torino Opening Ceremony narrated about the past and the present of the city of Torino.

Who doesn't know nothing about the city and it's history probably didn't understand the ceremony.

What seemed to you a "show with a handful of segments put together without any relation", narrated instead the history of Torino from Renaissance and Baroque to the industrial city that it's now.

The Ferrari on the stage was there simply because Ferrari belongs to the FIAT group that comes from Torino.

The Winter Games aren't not the same as Summer Games, especially in budget, so I really don't understand why Vancouver should use them as examples for the Opening Ceremony.

Most would think and agree that there is a way to have the segments transition smoothly from one to another rather than botched, disjointed, and tacky segments....and thank you very much, I am quite aware of what happened in the Torino ceremonies.

Even Salt Lake City's ceremonies managed to provide flow, Torino's did not.

And as for the Summer Games ceremonies comparison, the 2010 ceremonies creative team is led by David Atkins Enterprises - which put on the 2000 Sydney Opening and Closing, Manchester 2002 handover for Melbourne, and the Doha 2006 Asian Games Opening and Closing.

The 2010 Winter Games ceremonies budget is the same budget Sydney 2000 had.

OK Mr X, you didn't like the show and I respect your opinion.

But I don't accept some words you used like "terrible, awful" simply because they are exaggerated.The OC was made by professionals from all over the world and it was very well made.

Maybe it was just too complicated for your taste, no indians no cowboys...you should know that the Italian history is full of culture, arts, fashion and why not, beautiful sportcars... maybe too much for you at one time.

Anyway, the show was made by a great team and among the Creative Team of the OC & CC of Torino worked persons like these:

Doug Jack, Choreographer, is one of the best known Choreographers and Staging Directors on the world scene, he has played a leading role in the last five Olympics: Barcelona'92, Atlanta'96, Sydney'00, Salt Lake City'02 and Athens'04. His awards include the Emmy Award'02 for Outstanding Choreography. (I think he went also to Beijing)

Ric Birch, Associate Producer, Australian, is known throughout the world as the "Master of Ceremonies" and has linked his name as director or executive producer to truly great events as well as three Olympics: Los Angeles'84, Barcelona'92, Sydney'00.

Mark Fisher, Production Designer, an architect, for more than 25 years he has been a leading figure on the rock scene, designing shows for Pink Floyd, the U2, the Rolling Stones, Elton John, Sting, Tina Turner, Robbie Williams, Cher and REM.Amongst his exploits, the Expo, Woodstock'99, the Millennium Dome, MTV Awards, the Queens Golden Jubilee, Circus du Soleil.

Christophe Berthonneau, Pyrotechnical Effects Designer, his name is a password for innovation in the design of firework and pyrotechnics shows. Amongst his best known works, the Athens'04 Olympic Games, the Expo'98 in Lisbon, Millennium Celebration in Paris.

Giorgio Armani, Artistic Direction, what can I say about him? Everybody knows King Giorgio. I hope!

Now, Mr.X, be aware, some of these people probably are working already for Vancouver Ceremonies!

Yes, Torino Stadium floor represented the human heart. The passion.

The medals instead were designed like antique Italian coins.

Here are some words from the Executive Producer Marco Balich of the Torino OC and CC:

"A "national" team of 240 people thinking Italian but speaking all the languages of the world of whom

I am deeply proud.

Telling the tale of a city such as Torino and territories such as Piedmont and indeed the whole of Italy was certainly not an easy task because of the overwhelming number of feelings and themes to be communicated.

Apart from our duty to express a history going back thousands of years we also felt a need to highlight contemporary values.

That is why we identified Passion as our narrative theme, expressing in through concepts such as Style, Speed, Energy, Love of Beauty, elements we well know are an integral part of this nation's DNA.

That is why we decided to choose as universal value a theme dear to Renaissance culture: the Centrality of the human being, placing the individual at the centre of our creative project, launching a message of tolerance and harmonious coexistence as revolutionary as it is simple in its outward shape."

Here are the segments of the Torino OC:

VIDEO COUNTDOWN

1-RHYTHM OF PASSION (Sparks of Passion Special Effects)

2-GREETINGS FROM THE ALPS (Mountain Folk)

3-ITALY (Italian Flag, Entry of the Authorities, Italian Anthem)

4-TORINO OLYMPIC CITY (XX Olympic Winter Games, The Great Skier)

5-OLYMPIC SPIRIT (Citius, Altius, Fortius-the Great Olympic Rings)

6-HEROES OF OUR TIME (The Athletes' Parade)

7-FROM RENAISSANCE TO BAROQUE

8-FROM FUTURISM TO FUTURE (Corps de Ballet School of the Scala Theatre)

9-WORDS AND SYMBOLS (Address by the President of the Organising Committee, Address by the President of the International Olympic Committee, President of the Republic of Italy:Opening of the Games, Olympic Anthem, Entry of the Olympic Flag, Olympic Oath)

10-PEACE (The Dove, A Song of Peace)

11-LIGHT THE PASSION (Arrival of the Flame, Lighting of the Cauldron, The Olympic System)

12-FORTISSIMO (Allegro with Fire)

Let's stop talking about the Roof and the Floor

and talk about the new Mens Spa opening inside the Stadium

the Roof can blow up and the Floor can get scratched but nothing bad can go wrong inside a Mens Spa

I've had some really GREAT times in men's spas!

B)

OK Mr X, you didn't like the show and I respect your opinion.

But I don't accept some words you used like "terrible, awful" simply because they are exaggerated.The OC was made by professionals from all over the world and it was very well made.

Maybe it was just too complicated for your taste, no indians no cowboys...you should know that the Italian history is full of culture, arts, fashion and why not, beautiful sportcars... maybe too much for you at one time.

Anyway, the show was made by a great team and among the Creative Team of the OC & CC of Torino worked persons like these:

Doug Jack, Choreographer, is one of the best known Choreographers and Staging Directors on the world scene, he has played a leading role in the last five Olympics: Barcelona'92, Atlanta'96, Sydney'00, Salt Lake City'02 and Athens'04. His awards include the Emmy Award'02 for Outstanding Choreography. (I think he went also to Beijing)

Ric Birch, Associate Producer, Australian, is known throughout the world as the "Master of Ceremonies" and has linked his name as director or executive producer to truly great events as well as three Olympics: Los Angeles'84, Barcelona'92, Sydney'00.

Mark Fisher, Production Designer, an architect, for more than 25 years he has been a leading figure on the rock scene, designing shows for Pink Floyd, the U2, the Rolling Stones, Elton John, Sting, Tina Turner, Robbie Williams, Cher and REM.Amongst his exploits, the Expo, Woodstock'99, the Millennium Dome, MTV Awards, the Queens Golden Jubilee, Circus du Soleil.

Christophe Berthonneau, Pyrotechnical Effects Designer, his name is a password for innovation in the design of firework and pyrotechnics shows. Amongst his best known works, the Athens'04 Olympic Games, the Expo'98 in Lisbon, Millennium Celebration in Paris.

Giorgio Armani, Artistic Direction, what can I say about him? Everybody knows King Giorgio. I hope!

Now, Mr.X, be aware, some of these people probably are working already for Vancouver Ceremonies!

Yes, Torino Stadium floor represented the human heart. The passion.

The medals instead were designed like antique Italian coins.

Did you say you were there live at the stadium? Because that changes a lot, considering tv coverage that I watched on both Canada's CBC and America's NBC was terrible.

Granted, the Torino ceremonies did have some cool segments like the formation of the Olympic rings. However, the lighting of the cauldron was absolutely terrible....it was an electronic lighting, not a flame to cauldron lighting. It may have been visually stunning with all the sparks going off, but to have the flame run all across Italy and then not have a real lighting at the climax seems quite pointless.....

I also thought the venue was far too small....the stands didn't have enough seating, so they made up for it by having more seats on the stadium floor - limiting performance space.

Quite frankly the opening was quite dull content wise. It was impressive but I dint get any real sense of place. I got the Italian references - but I thought the closing said a lot more about the Piedmont region. Also Elisa was hot!

Furthermore lehari - take some advice form an old timer - do not attack other peoples opinions. We all have a right to disagree and argue on this site and dont take to being lectured.