Flame Cauldron Tower Outside Bc Place

You underestimate the fact that the cauldron is one of the biggest secrets of each opening ceremony, they are certainly not going to start construction on any sort of cauldron 13 months before the Games start.

If they were to have some sort of tower, they'd probably start building it in late-October/November at the very earlies....it's not like they're building a skyscraper.

And even then, i'd highly doubt that they would build a cauldron tower due to financial constraints....more likely some sort of exterior cauldron in the middle of False Creek across from the Olympic Village and a smaller cauldron inside BC Place.

And please don't bring up the BC Place roof again, it has been discussed to death here.

It just make you wonder what IS the real deal with the roof. yes we know that every olympic host has had some sort of scaling back or change of original plans or change of the blueprint of indeed, some change somewhere or the other. Yet, vancouver is interesting because you get this weird sense that everything is not going exactly right behind the scenes.......especially as it pertains to the roof. I think and have always thought that Vancouver shall be a replica of Montreal in this and a few other regards.

What do you mean? I'd say they've been pretty clear about what's going on with the Stadium. In 2009, the stadium will be undergoing a number of interior renovations, upgrades, and improvements. If you check the stadium event calendar, you can even see the dates when they'll be working on the renovations:

Stadium calendar

And then after the Olympics, the roof will be replaced with a donut like retractable structure, due for completion in 2011. The current roof will be there for the Olympic ceremonies.

BC Place: Vision 2011

Yes, it is unfortunate that they did not consider the remake of BC Place prior to 2008. A face-lifted ceremonial stadium certainly would have been cool, but that was NEVER part of their original plan. The new roof idea is tied more to soccer and football than the Olympics. And when they did reconsider the future of BC Place, they didn't want costs to spiral out of control or run the risk of encountering construction complications under the Olympic deadline. Recall that at one point, there was talk of destroying the stadium after the Olympics.

BC Place: 2011

cityscape.jpg

I'll talk about the Roof issue as much as I want. Take a hike Mr. X

Ever heard of the term, "broken record"? That's what you are....or how about "the boy who cried wolf". Not to mention that "take a hike" has been used by other members towards you, not towards me. ;)

It just make you wonder what IS the real deal with the roof. yes we know that every olympic host has had some sort of scaling back or change of original plans or change of the blueprint of indeed, some change somewhere or the other. Yet, vancouver is interesting because you get this weird sense that everything is not going exactly right behind the scenes.......especially as it pertains to the roof. I think and have always thought that Vancouver shall be a replica of Montreal in this and a few other regards.

There has never ever been a deal with the roof. That's what happens when members are allowed to go running aloft, posting misinformation, and people think that is actual information.

There has NEVER ever been a plan to replace the roof in time for the Olympics. It was suggested and thought about after human error caused the roof to deflate in 2007, but the official plan since 2008 has been to have interior renovations for the Olympics and a new roof and exterior renovations by 2011/2012, when the MLS* Vancouver Whitecaps move into the stadium. The reasoning is what Kendegra said: the fear of cost overruns, having it done in less than 18 months at the time it was proposed.

*the MLS will likely choose Vancouver as one of their two expansion teams over the next few weeks.

a tower could be put up in a few DAYS with the right plan. Stageco is a company from Belgium with divisions all over the world. They do many of the temporary works for the olympics since at least 2002. They do huge stages for the Rolling Stones , Bon Jovi, U2 . an erector set truss system could be put up in days with the Fabrication work going on and many places. They could even have it rise from a concealed location to burn right outside your apartment window yellow vest 24 7 for the duration of the games LOL. Considering the brilliant concealment of the Calderon in Beijing anything is possible.

Jim jones

I do recall even you Mr.X posting pics of a very nasty looking interior of the roof and complaining yourself. Will such nastiness above the heads of everyone be the emblem of these games? Judging from the posts of those who live in vancouver, it very well may be. This speaks to a grotesque lapse in foresight to invite the world under one grimey roof. Guess that's how you all do things.

I do recall even you Mr.X posting pics of a very nasty looking interior of the roof and complaining yourself. Will such nastiness above the heads of everyone be the emblem of these games? Judging from the posts of those who live in vancouver, it very well may be. This speaks to a grotesque lapse in foresight to invite the world under one grimey roof. Guess that's how you all do things.

That's just dirt, mainly from monster truck shows, that can be cleaned off AND WILL be cleaned off. But that might not be the case for the Olympics as the inner lining of the roof may be replaced rather than a simple cleaning. I'm not too sure but I think it was included as part of the $64-million in interior renovations by 2010. The roof is two layered, the inner lining can be replaced easily without deflating the dome.

The dirt inside the dome would obviously need to be rid of considering the dome would act as a giant projector screen during the ceremonies. The whole concept was successfully tested by the ceremonies team last fall, there were giant fish and squids swimming on the roof. The projection equipment was provided by the same British (not sure if it was British but it was defininitely European) company that did Beijing's National Stadium projections at the 2008 opening and closing.

Have faith in the process.

Yes, the roof is dirty. But the roof is there. Paint. Whitewash. Soap. Bleach. Power washing. Whatever. It can be cleaned.

None of us work for Vanoc or Pavco. None of us know what they have planned. Unfortunately, none of our best hopes or worst fears can be dealt with until we know what those people have planned.

That's just dirt, mainly from monster truck shows, that can be cleaned off AND WILL be cleaned off. But that might not be the case for the Olympics as the inner lining of the roof may be replaced rather than a simple cleaning. I'm not too sure but I think it was included as part of the $64-million in interior renovations by 2010. The roof is two layered, the inner lining can be replaced easily without deflating the dome.

The dirt inside the dome would obviously need to be rid of considering the dome would act as a giant projector screen during the ceremonies. The whole concept was successfully tested by the ceremonies team last fall, there were giant fish and squids swimming on the roof. The projection equipment was provided by the same British (not sure if it was British but it was defininitely European) company that did Beijing's National Stadium projections at the 2008 opening and closing.

Have faith in the process.

Beijing's projections and the systems work was down in Canada and the company is Canadian owned.

Beijing's projections and the systems work was down in Canada and the company is Canadian owned.

Hmmm...nevermind.

2010 test goes ahead at B.C. Place

By BOB MACKIN, 24 HOURS

The Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics' opening ceremony won't be as glitzy as that of the 2008 Beijing Summer Games, but it could involve some of the same players.

24 hours has learned that two people from U.K.-headquartered Creative Technology were at B.C. Place Stadium last Thursday night for a top-secret test by VANOC's ceremonies production team.

Creative Technology provided imaging for the giant electronic scroll that served as the focal point of the Aug. 8 Bird's Nest opening ceremony.

The B.C. Place test was closed to media and stadium staff were warned that cameras, tours and peeks at the set-up and session were forbidden. Humidity, air pressure and temperature were monitored while lasers, computer graphics and smoke machines were tested. Giant images of flames, Olympic athletes and an animated octopus were projected on the inside of the dome's fabric roof.

Ceremonies executive producer David Atkins told 24 hours in February that the roof would be used as a screen for large-scale images in 2010.

x - you are getting your terms mixed up, the scroll was a giant LCD television that people could walk on, it was a inside projection. The technology that would be used for the roof would be projects onto something. That technology for Beijing that is comparible was provided by a Canadian company - Christie Digital. Christie Digital

Interesting they would use Christie projectors inn such a quantity because a DL 2 catalyst could do the same without hanging 63 projectors . I actually thought it was Catalyst DL 2s. I have actually used the Christie Projectors on board Queen Mary 2 for ordinary movies and powerpoint.

Jim Jones

• 4 weeks later...
I think the cauldron will not be inside BC place. I have a feeling they will use hologram 3d of the flame inside BC place. The flame will be lit outside and it will be shown inside BC place as 3d hologram. I think it will be an amazing effect.

I missed this post. I think this is likely the most realistic scenario, if an open flame inside the stadium proves to be impossible.

So where would be the best place for the flame if outside?

I think floating on False Creek would be fantastic!

I do faintly remember a VANOC RFP requesting for a barge for False Creek for "possibly for the Olympic flame".