Torch Design

Kenadian

Its gonna be ugly. Its gonna probably look like a bunch of boulders on top of each other. Look at the torch relay logo, its very blocky.

Vancouver does like using those round-edged shapes. They fit well and work fine when they are overlayed with Vancouver's signature flowing lines and colors.

But when they are not overlayed, I find that they do suck - namely Illanaaq and the countdown clock. We'll see.

X...you have a good point. Or maybe it was a test run?

Anyway, I've always expected the torch to have a shape close to Ilanaaq's arms...the dark blue piece of the logo. Given all the other pieces VANOC has produced, it is going to be a relatively simple, rounded form with few details.

Note: Bombardier is engineering the firey things.

It is likely that this man's team of designers at VANOC have designed the look and shape of the cauldron and torches:

Interview with VANOC Director of Design, Leo Obstbaum

Also note in the interview that Brand Director, Ali Gardiner, is half Japanese. Earlier she said that a lot of the mascots, brand, pictograms, etc were inspired by manga and anime. We can see both of their personal influences on VANOC's brand and design ethics.

Karacters, a Vancouver-based design division of global advertising and branding giant DDB, designed the clock.

I can see your point..the traditional aspect. But one thing I always liked about the Winter Games was their freedom to be creative with the medals. I actually like the designs from Sapporo, Sarajevo, and Salt Lake (what's with the S's...will Sochi follow suit?) because they are different shapes, but Nagano and Lillehammer produced beautiful medals as well. Calgary was kinda boring. Albertville unique, but all that Lalique crystal didn't make it as "medally" as others.

In addition, the board received the following updates:

- One-Year Countdown Celebrations: Extensive planning is continuing

with VANOC's government and corporate partners, as well as with

grassroots communities across the country to celebrate Canada's

Games. The celebrations started January 16 with the first day of

World Cup competition at Whistler Olympic/Paralympic Park and will

run until March 21. Several key events will take place on February

12, including the unveiling of the Olympic Torch design and

torchbearer uniform, International Olympic Committee President

Jacques Rogge's official invitation to athletes around the world to

attend the Games and the Cultural Olympiad 2009 countdown

celebration. A full list of activities will be released in the near

future. Many of VANOC's partners are also planning extensive

activities during this period.

I saw an interview with one of the Vanoc member and he mentioned that the torch design was inpired by canadian icon.

My guesses that it could be a torch shaped like a lacrosse stick, totem pole, hockey stick...etc

P.S. The torch that was seen at the Burrard Bridge is not the olympic torch.

Some of those could be frightful. Probably a hockey stick. All the little Vanockers dream of hockey. I think the men's gold medal game is the only reason they wanted the Games.