Vancouver - One Picture A Day (compiled By Mr.x)

mr.x

wow! It seems like such a beutiful place to be experiencing those problem and they seem to be serious. Do you think the city will sort of "change its image" by hosting these games? Or has the global economic crisis placed a considerable "dent" in the legacy that it will hope to achieve? Do yu see it crumbling further if 2010 doesn't reverse these problems?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow! It seems like such a beutiful place to be experiencing those problem and they seem to be serious. Do you think the city will sort of "change its image" by hosting these games? Or has the global economic crisis placed a considerable "dent" in the legacy that it will hope to achieve? Do yu see it crumbling further if 2010 doesn't reverse these problems?

Well, every city has its problems. And Vancouver happens to have its own like any other city.

The 2010 Games should be an incredible legacy for the city, but yes the economic situation has put a dent on the economic and tourism benefits the Olympics usually bring.

For one thing, a lot of social housing is being built and has been built over the last few years.

And Vancouver's homeless epicentre at the Downtown Eastside, a 8-block ghetto, was to see massive redevelopment after the Olympics. Behind doors, there were as many as 30 condo tower developments planned for the slum after the 2010 Games by Concord Pacific. And much of this redevelopment of the Downtown Eastside can be attributed to the city-funded redvelopment of a massive abandoned and historic department store right in the middle of the city. It's called Woodwards, and it'll be done this year.

It includes:

- 200 social housing units

- 536 market housing units

- Federal/City Department Office Space

- Simon Fraser University's Contemporary Arts Campus (several theatres, concert halls, and many classrooms)

- major retail brands

- Outdoor Public Open Space, Urban Park and Plaza

The only problem is that the economy will dramatically slow down the redevelopment of the area. But once the economy re-gains its strength, the area will see regeneration once again.

The Downtown Eastside was where Vancouver's central business centre used to be until the Great Depression. As time moved on, downtown/business centre gradually moved west to its current location.

This also means that the Downtown Eastside/ghetto is where most of Vancouver's historic architecture is located....much of it is poor maintained for obvious reasons.

518399.gif

woodwards1zf4.png

original.jpg

east_cam_full.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

I know you seem to suggest before that vancouver is a big city with a "small city attitude"but haven't you found that that has helped the city somewhat to remain relatively unspoilt and free of the mega social problems that other cities its size are experiencing?

I know you seem to suggest before that vancouver is a big city with a "small city attitude"but haven't you found that that has helped the city somewhat to remain relatively unspoilt and free of the mega social problems that other cities its size are experiencing?

What social problems would those other cities be experiencing?

Speaking as a non-Canadian, I really had no idea how beautiful Vancouver is. These games will be fantastic for Vancouver; seeing the kind of pictures X is posting in this thread everyday on TV will make a lot of people aware of the city. It will lift it up another level.

Vancouver isn't a London, or a New York, or a Paris. A lot of it will be new and the games will reveal the city to the world.

No....i think you may have missed my point X......I mean that they experience generally the same problems as vancouver but I was refering to the extent (ie. the statistics......the numbers). For example, what are the latest crime statistics for the city in ocmparion to another NA city its size? So odes that "small city" attitude help?

No....i think you may have missed my point X......I mean that they experience generally the same problems as vancouver but I was refering to the extent (ie. the statistics......the numbers). For example, what are the latest crime statistics for the city in ocmparion to another NA city its size? So odes that "small city" attitude help?

I don't remember the most recent crime statistics, but I do know that there's a lot of property crime in the city. And especially car thief, I believe the car thief capital of Canada? But then again, most of the cars are stolen by two dozen or so well known criminals.

But anyway, my point is Vancouver needs big city solutions to solve big city problems. For instance, there's an insistence by some to go with LRT technology to expand Vancouver's rail network. However, Vancouver as is has very little road capacity and should retain whatever road capacity it has. Not to mention that LRT would be very slow in Vancouver's stop and go street grid network. Rather than LRT, we need to further expand our SkyTrain system.

How Vancouver looks on TV will really depend on the weather. February can be a fickle month. At the worst, the city will be covered in fog, clouds and rain. It will look grey, dull, and dirty. And if we have weather like we had this past weekend, you'll see picture perfect mountain vistas and a sun kissed city by a sparkling ocean. But don't expect to see snow in the streets and parks of Vancouver. The climate in the city is too mild for that. But you will see snow in the local mountains and in Whistler. Although I'm pretty sure that broadcasters and photographers have been busy the past few months capturing images of the city in snow (we had a lot this year) and under sunny conditions.

Vancouver is still a bit of a baby city because it is just over 120 years old. It is a city that hasn't truly found itself yet, so there are plenty of opportunities to impact, change, and direct the culture here.

^ Hongcouver.

Today's pictures, from flickr.

Bridges Restaurant outdoor patio at Granville Island

2788186652_289e85e758_b.jpg

False Creek and BC Place/Olympic Stadium (in this picture, the photographer is standing on the Olympic Village seawall). BC Place, 60,000 seats, will of course be the venue for the 2010 Opening, Closing and nightly Victory Ceremonies. To the right of the picture is General Motors Place/Canada Hockey Place, 18,500 seats, main ice hockey venue.

2772001588_164bacf7d9_b.jpg

Sunset at Jericho Beach; Burrard Inlet, and the North Shore Mountains. To the bottom right is Stanley Park in downtown.

2780087697_6c85022f4a_b.jpg

BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah but......not even ONLY where the flame is concerned. Supposed the roof tears open a day before the opening?

Well, you do realize that anything could go wrong with open-air stadiums as well right?

It's almost equivalent to people who think flying is dangerous...but you're more likely to die in a car crash than in a plane accident. Just one analogy.

And I ask that you please don't ruin this perfectly good topic with more stadium discussion, there have been 10 other topics in this forum just for that.

An extra picture tpday just to break that discussion:

from flickr, Lions Gate Bridge - the bridge to Whistler

3258144167_5abb52e02c_b.jpg