2010 Fifa World Cup

Rafa

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mo - it wasn't looking good for a time and even South African officials thought so, but FIFA and the organizing committee got things right 3 years ago with the pressure and deadlines and now South Africa will be completely ready in time for next year.

The main problem was the release of funding from government.

I think any project at the start, with not much to see doesn't look too good but the timelines set out were always very comfortable and achievable so that FIFA deadlines were not a big issue.

The last stadium to be completed in Cape Town will be ready before 6 months before kick off.

If I'm not mistaken the Bird's nest installed its track and turf 3/4 months before the opening.

FIFA Medical Centre of Excellence for Cape Town

Building on the success of the first FIFA Medical Centre of Excellence on the African continent inaugurated at Wits University in Johannesburg on 31 March 2008, world football's governing body has approved the accreditation of a second institute in Cape Town.

The UCT/MRC Research Unit for Exercise Science and Sports Medicine (ESSM) and the Sports Science Institute of South Africa (SSISA) were officially inaugurated as a FIFA Medical Centre of Excellence today (24 February 2009) in the presence of the chairman of the FIFA Medical Assessment and Research Centre (F-MARC) and FIFA Chief Medical Officer, Prof. Jiri Dvorak, the director of the FIFA Medical Centre of Excellence in Cape Town, Prof. Martin Schwellnus, and SSISA Managing Director Morne du Plessis.

"FIFA is committed to improving standards of care in football worldwide, including prevention as a priority, complemented by accurate diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation," said Prof. Dvorak. "FIFA Medical Centres of Excellence like the ESSM/SSISA here in Cape Town ensure this. Furthermore, they educate and train the next generation of practitioners and scientists committed to football medicine in particular on the African continent."

"The relationship between the University of Cape Town, the Research Unit for Exercise Science and Sports Medicine, the Sports Science Institute of South Africa and its medical service providers is a unique model that combines education with current research applied through medical service practitioners," said Du Plessis.

The UCT/MRC Research Unit for Exercise Science and Sports Medicine has a proud history of two decades of active research, education and clinical service to the sporting community, including football. Prof. Schwellnus highlighted the main achievements in these areas by the unit. He indicated that these core activities would form the basis of the centre's future work in football.

Since the end of 2005, FIFA has accredited nine Medical Centres of Excellence across the world from Zurich in Switzerland, Munich and Regensburg in Germany, Auckland in New Zealand, Kawasaki in Japan, Oslo in Norway and Aspetar in Qatar to Johannesburg and now Cape Town in the 2010 FIFA World Cup™ host country South Africa. All accredited institutions have been carefully selected based on a comprehensive application process to prove their clinical, educational and research expertise, their practical involvement in the care of teams and their active commitment to preventing injuries.

The vision behind creating a network of medical centres across the world is to ensure that players and teams on all continents know who to turn to for expert care in football medicine.

For further information on the FIFA Medical Centres of Excellence and the F-MARC programme, please click on the links to the right of this story.

Ellis Park: It`s all systems go

3325540034_64e6d7a9cb_b.jpg

The revamped Ellis Park will host a crucial league clash that should give an indication of its state of readiness for the Confederations Cup.

The 59 000-seater stadium has undergone a R500-million makeover ahead of the Confederations Cup and the 2010 World Cup.

Mamelodi Sundowns and Orlando Pirates square off at the venue on Wednesday and Johannesburg 2010 co-ordinator Sibongile Mazibuko explained that the stadium is ready for the FIFA showpiece.

"From our side, everything is on track," he told FIFA's website.

"Ellis Park is ready. Last week, we had the inspection team from FIFA and they were happy with the progress. People are now looking forward in watching some of the world's biggest stars in June during the Confederations Cup."

The venue will host four Confederations Cup games including the opener between South Africa and Iraq along with the final.

Loftus is ready for Confed Cup

3306792194_30c57a9f2e_b.jpg

3292310915_ac64968bd3_b.jpg

3303556488_70d50f574a_b.jpg

Preparations for the Confederations Cup remain on track as the city of Tshwane has confirmed that Loftus is ready for the tournament.

The ground hosted the league clash between champions SuperSport United and Soweto giants Kaizer Chiefs on Saturday evening.

Loftus stadium has undergone a major revamp to meet FIFA's standards as it is set to host three Confed Cup matches in June, including the massive match between Italy and Brazil.

Tshwane/Pretoria 2010 co-ordinator Godfrey Nkwane is delighted with the new-look 51,000-seater stadium.

"The stadium is looking very beautiful and I'm glad to announce that we are now officially ready for the Confederations Cup," he told FIFA's official website.

"We are confident that everything is on track and people in our city are now waiting for the big moment when we will host our first Confederations Cup match in June."

confcuplogo.gif

Landmark day for Confederations Cup volunteers

As South Africa steadily prepares to host the FIFA Confederations Cup 2009, today was the day over 1 000 of its most committed residents put their hands up to offer their services to ensure the tournament's success in their country.

On a landmark day for the 2010 FIFA World Cup Organising Committee South Africa (OC), the first group of volunteers selected for the FIFA Confederations Cup descended on Johannesburg's Nasrec Expo Centre to begin the first day of their induction training in preparation for the tournament.

It was the culmination of a long process, with today's group part of 4 000 volunteers - from an initial 40,000 applications - who were selected for the four Confederations Cup host cities of Johannesburg, Tshwane/Pretoria, Mangaung/Bloemfontein and Rustenburg.

They came from far and wide, young and old and from all walks of life, determined to stand up and be counted when it really mattered, as their country prepares to put on its biggest undertaking yet in its fledgling democracy.

"This is a moment we have been waiting for since 2006 and today it is finally happening. Thank you for taking the initiative, thank you for being patient throughout the whole selection process. If you did not have the energy and the resilience you all have shown, then you would not be sitting here today. We want to thank you for being prepared to make your contribution to the success of this event. We really appreciate your time, effort and commitment," said the OC's Volunteer Programme Manager, Onke Mjo, as the volunteers cheered excitedly in appreciation.

The energy and excitement was palpable on the faces of the volunteers and it was clear today was a special day for them. It was a day where they stood up and offered their assistance to work at a tournament which is a vital stepping stone on the road to a successful 2010 FIFA World Cup™.

For the majority of the volunteers, it was all about giving something back to their country.

"It is a great opportunity to give back what I have learned in my career and life. I have been through apartheid, I have been through Nelson Mandela's freedom and presidency and to be part of this is an honour," said 39-year-old marketing company Chief Executive Officer, Devian Nadasen, who will be assisting with the marketing aspects of the tournament.

Some were so keen to be involved that they travelled great distances to be part of the volunteer team. Abdul-Kader Adam, a manager of a steel mill who once played professional football for club side Dynamos, came all the way from Durban to offer his assistance as a volunteer.

"It is all about my passion for the game of football. This is why I volunteered. When I was a professional player we missed out on such tournaments, because we were banned under the apartheid regime. Now, this is my opportunity to be involved in a football tournament that we as South Africans once could never have played in, but we are now hosting".

And for others, it was all about the hope of getting close to their football heroes.

Ghabnam Joosub (27), who works in a family-owned construction business, hopes to get up close to the Spanish team, which was the main reason she applied to be a volunteer.

"I truly am football mad and I will definitely be following Spain in the Confederations Cup. It is very rare that you get such world class teams playing in South Africa, so to be involved is an opportunity that I could not miss out on," said Joosub.

For student, Matshidiso Mokgapa, it was about being part of a very special moment in her country's history.

"I want to be an ambassador for South Africa and I want my children to know what I did for my country. It is about being part of history," said Mokgapa, who will be assisting with spectator relations.

As the ‘champions of champions' Spain, Brazil, Italy, New Zealand, Egypt, USA, Iraq and South Africa's Bafana Bafana battle it out for the FIFA Confederations Cup trophy, off the pitch a dedicated army of volunteers will ensure things run smoothly and that the players get to do what they do best.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe the dramatic shift in preparations, planning and achievements since January 2007. Its unbelievable that South African went from one decision to have the tournament stripped to a state of readiness equal to Korea/Japan and Germany just over a year out. If Rio doesn't win in 2016, there might be hope for Cape Town in 2020.

Three venues will decrease their capacities by using temporary seats. PE, Cape Town and Durban

5 venues will resume normal use for rugby/football. Ellis Park, Rustenburg, Soccer City, Loftus Versfeld, Free State Stadium

3 new venues will be managed and run by stadium operators e.g. Stade de France/SAIL will operate the stadium in Cape Town

Several venues will form part of a broader sports complex including facilities for cricket, tennis, rugby etc.

All venues for part of the IRB Rugby World Cup bid.

Cape Town: 70,000 to 56,000, Operator: Stade de France/SAIL Use: Concerts, Exhibitions, Rugby, Football, Other, Naming rights: TBA

Nelson Mandela Bay: 48,000 to 44,000 Operator: TBC Use: Rugby, Football, Other

Durban: 70,000 to 54,000, Operator: None Use: Athletics, Other

Bloemfontein: 46,000, Operator: Free State Rugby Use: Resume regular rugby/football use

Rustenburg: 46,000, Operator: Royal Bafokeng Nation Use: Resume regular rugby/football use

Pretoria: 49,000, Operator: Blue Bulls Rugby, Use: Resume regular rugby/football and concert use

Ellis Park: 62,000, Operator: City/Orlando Pirates/Lions Rugby, Use: Resume regular rugby/football and concert use, Naming Rights: Coca Cola

Soccer City: 91,000, Operator: TBA, Use: Resume football and concert use

Nelspruit: 45,000, Operator: Citym Use: Football and community events

Polokwane: 45,000, Operator: City, Use: Football, Rugby, community events

OR Tambo International: Central Terminal Building opens

The link between Terminal A (old international departures) and Terminal B (CTB and old Domestic Terminal)

web.jpg

The walkway to and from the Gautrain Station with the stairs, elevators and escalators (still closed of until opening next June of Gautrain)

DSCN0554.jpg

DSCN0560.jpg

The new security and passport control in Terminal B for entry into the International departure hall with all the Duty free shops:

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Entry from the Road Drop off into the Central Terminal Building, to the right the check in counters, to the right the escalators down to the security and passport control as well as shopping mall in Terminal B:

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

The New Check in counters in the CTB in Terminal B, a total of 72 new check in counters:

DSCN0563.jpg

web.jpg

The new view deck in the CTB in Terminal B, a total of three viewing areas now open to the public, namely the view deck shown in photo below, the one above the domestic check in desks in Terminal B as well as the original viewing deck in Terminal A

DSCN0564.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived