Happy (chinese!) New Year

chinese_zodiac.jpg

When we asked the waiter at our Chinese restaurant whether he thought these meant anything he said "No, it's a load of old bollocks really isn't it" :D

Happy Chinese New Year!

Are you sure he was Chinese? Did he pronounce it 'bollocks' or 'borrocks'?? ;)

chinese_zodiac.jpg

When we asked the waiter at our Chinese restaurant whether he thought these meant anything he said "No, it's a load of old bollocks really isn't it" :D

Happy Chinese New Year!

The one problem with this image of all the Chinese zodiac signs and their years is, just because you were born in say, 1964, you are not a Dragon unless you were born after the actual beginning of the Chinese New Year. For instance, those born in 1964 but before February 2nd are not Dragons, they are Rabbits. Alot of people think they are one sign, when in fact, they are the previous sign.

An accurate table of the dates for each sign is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Zodia...y_year_calendar

The one problem with this image of all the Chinese zodiac signs and their years is, just because you were born in say, 1964, you are not a Dragon unless you were born after the actual beginning of the Chinese New Year. For instance, those born in 1964 but before February 2nd are not Dragons, they are Rabbits. Alot of people think they are one sign, when in fact, they are the previous sign.

:lol:

Maybe where you're from ...... it's not that difficult to work out!

Are you sure he was Chinese? Did he pronounce it 'bollocks' or 'borrocks'?? ;)

It was definitely borrocks! :lol:

We were thinking this is all a bit silly - how can everyone born in '84 have the same personality traits - so we asked him tactfully as he was Chinese to explain it to us and that was his response. Not what we were expecting; it made us laugh anyway.

:lol:

Maybe where you're from ...... it's not that difficult to work out!

A lot of people don't realize that you have to be born after the start of the Chinese New Year. Many people born in January think they are the sign for that yeah, when it's really the previous year.

It was definitely borrocks! :lol:

We were thinking this is all a bit silly - how can everyone born in '84 have the same personality traits - so we asked him tactfully as he was Chinese to explain it to us and that was his response. Not what we were expecting; it made us laugh anyway.

The Chinese Zodiac is far more complex than the Greek Zodiac. It's not just everyone born in the same year. It's also whether you are yin or yang, what element you are, and what month and even day and hour. For example, in addition to my sign, I am also Yang Earth, and that is just for starters.

An accurate table of the dates for each sign is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Zodia...y_year_calendar

You mean about the Chinese LUNAR calendar. I have that scenario perfectly. Even though I was born in 1971 in the WESTERN calendar, the Chinese lunar calendar dictates that I was born in the year of the dog, instead of the boar or pig. Therefore, I was born in the Chinese year of the DOG.

Anyway, Happy Chinese New Year and the year of the Ox to everyone here. :)

Yep, my birthday is the first week of January. People are forever thinking I'm a Rat, but actually I'm a Pig! :lol:

Anyway, I'm in Beijing now and this evening, just as yesterday evening, fireworks and firecrackers are going off pretty much nonstop all over the city. Hopefully it will calm down after midnight-1 am so I can get some sleep! May all you GB'ers have a happy and healthy Year of the Ox...

Archived