Sour grapes or what?!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't like him neither....when he was on tv last week being interviewed by the local media covering the session he was soooooo arrogant....and during the presentation and press conference he was also very arrogant....but it got him real far...his city lost.....

I think he truely believe the media hype that Paris had it in the bag.

Even though their bid team constantly denied claims that they considered themselves favourites, their presentation video in Singapore said it all.

There is nothing wrong with bid teams or politicians promoting their country or Olympic bid. Even Rogge has confirmed that nothing underhand happened in Singapore.

There's nothing worse than a bad loser.

:rolleyes:  :sniffle:

I don't think that sour grapes describes del's outburst at all.  I think that POOR LOSER is more accurate.  The major reason that Paris lost the 2012 election was arrogance right from the start of the bidding process.

Paris went in as a Very Highly respected bid.  There was an arrogance that the IOC owed Paris the games of 2012 because Paris had bid and lost twice.  As we have seen, the IOC members don't like to feel that they owe anyone anything at anytime.  The onus was put upon Paris to come up with a bid that would win.  However, ALL of the 5 cities bidding had strong bids and could put on a great games.  This was something the IOC was very happy to see because their choices were now open and not limited to Paris.

As for Tony Blair meeting with members of the IOC.  I am quite sure that the members of the IOC met with many people involved with each of the 5 bids over the time spent in Singapore.  Most of those same IOC members already had their minds made up before they got to Singapore anyway.

The so-called defeat Paris at any cost PACT will be very hard to prove.  Who were involved?  Better yet, why would something like this even be started?  Probably because of the arrogance of the Paris Committee!!!!  Nobody likes an arrogant bid.  Beijing knew that they were pretty much a SURE THING for 2008 but stayed focused on their own bid.  Not running around trying to see what Toronto was doing.

Keep your eye on the ball at all times, or you may lose the prize in the end!!!!!  THAT WAS PARIS'S PROBLEM once they got to Singapore.

:D Haa!

Just saw the aformentioned Bertrand Dealone on TV,  yeah I have to admit that he a Chirac should be the fall guys to Paris failing (not that I care because I support London) if they want blood.

He, Dealone, was just displying that typical French Arrogance that seems to leave them with few freinds.

I think you have convinced me. We must elect him as the next French President.  :P

good heavens, no! :angry:

this man would be able to incite the 3rd world war.. France against the rest of the world..

I hope he will be stopped in due time before destroy any other Paris bid

Anybody could see that London blatantly showed disregard for the IOC rules of bidding, but the problem is that these rules are not enforced and several cities break several rules during bidding processes and they have been for a very long time.

Therefore, due to "error of commonplace", London should not be held at fault and continue with hosting the 2012 games.

Anybody could see that London blatantly showed disregard for the IOC rules of bidding, but the problem is that these rules are not enforced and several cities break several rules during bidding processes and they have been for a very long time.

Therefore, due to "error of commonplace", London should not be held at fault and continue with hosting the 2012 games.

Well I can't see that London "blatantly showed disregard for the IOC rules of bidding." All I can see is a bid team that worked harder and stronger to win than its rivals did. Hilary Clinton saw 40 delegates, Blair saw 66...What's your point? Paris saw none because despite bidding for the 3rd time they still didn't know the rules!  :D  LOBBYING IS ALLOWED  :D

And as for making negative comments about their rivals, well nothing tops Chirac's outburst for pure nastiness...

Anybody could see that London blatantly showed disregard for the IOC rules of bidding,

I'm failing to see how London blatantly showed a diregard for the IOC rules of bidding...

...but at the end of the day, Tony Blair has been cleared by the IOC of any misdemeanours.  I thought he did very well, and played a crucial part in bringing the 2012 O-Games to London. :)

What nonsense . The bidding rules were strict and enforced . Some IOC members expressed their irritation at how strictly they were being enforced by Jacque Rogge when London's offers were forced to be withdrawn in Berlin .

This is clearly sour grapes by an arrogant prima donna . He should try to summon up some dignity and stop embarassing himself , his city and his country .

Sorry people but you all have to wake up. If there is a disgrace about this election, it undoubtedly is London's victory, and not a mayor who logically does everything to defend his city and doesnt hesistate to speak when he knows his city has shamefully been taken in and deceited.

Every olympic expert (including those working for this website) acknowledged on the fact that Paris had the best file to host the 2012 Games. Paris had the best urban transports web, 50% of her venues were already built to host the games, and her projects of new venues were considered "bold, modern and outstanding" by the IOC  Commission that visited Paris. Paris had already lost twice and it was HER turn.

Now you have enough nerve to talk about the "typical French arrogance"? First let me tell you that this racist cliché is highly revealing about your poor cultural level and your weak knowledge of the world and of the people. But we forgive you. The most outraging thing is when you talk about arrogance when only one city had the arrogance and the conceit to diss other candidates: London. Only one city considered herself as "above the rules" and intentionally used dubious methods (I call it corruption) to win, such as T.Blair (who is a very good Prime Minister regardless of what he did in Singapore) inviting IOC members before the vote, which is STRICTLY forbidden by the IOC. The corruption that is eating at the IOC (even if some are still) is truly scandalous and London's attitude, based on the of this corruption and on the base and appaling attacks directed to Paris is simply cloying and London's victory is thus deprived of glory, colorless and truly unfair.

But until the end, Paris tried to keep her head and tried not to answer London's pathetic and slandering attacks, and concentrated on her work, naively believing that the IOC would just elect the city with the best candidature, as it is expected to. But in the meanwhile London (along with Putin, Ecclestone, Coe and other dishonest people) were obviously using the right method to win.

Sorry people but you all have to wake up. If there is a disgrace about this election, it undoubtedly is London's victory, and not a mayor who logically does everything to defend his city and doesnt hesistate to speak when he knows his city has shamefully been taken in and deceited.

Every olympic expert (including those working for this website) acknowledged on the fact that Paris had the best file to host the 2012 Games. Paris had the best urban transports web, 50% of her venues were already built to host the games, and her projects of new venues were considered "bold, modern and outstanding" by the IOC  Commission that visited Paris. Paris had already lost twice and it was HER turn.

Now you have enough nerve to talk about the "typical French arrogance"? First let me tell you that this racist cliché is highly revealing about your poor cultural level and your weak knowledge of the world and of the people. But we forgive you. The most outraging thing is when you talk about arrogance when only one city had the arrogance and the conceit to diss other candidates: London. Only one city considered herself as "above the rules" and intentionally used dubious methods (I call it corruption) to win, such as T.Blair (who is a very good Prime Minister regardless of what he did in Singapore) inviting IOC members before the vote, which is STRICTLY forbidden by the IOC. The corruption that is eating at the IOC (even if some are still) is truly scandalous and London's attitude, based on the of this corruption and on the base and appaling attacks directed to Paris is simply cloying and London's victory is thus deprived of glory, colorless and truly unfair.

Mr Chirac may have made ONE mistake, by yielding to temptation to answer the British attacks, to make them cease. But until the end, Paris tried to keep her head and tried not to answer London's pathetic and slandering attacks, and concentrated on her work, naively believing that the IOC would just elect the city with the best candidature, as it is expected to. But in the meanwhile London (along with Putin, Ecclestone, Coe and other dishonest people) were obviously using the right method to win. So disappointing for a country supposed to have invented the notion of "gentlemen".

That is why, you may have the right to defend London and to deny what is BLATENT but please try to keep the small amount of dignity and elegance that you probably still have by stopping dissing Paris, and her mayor who makes us so proud to be French, Mr Bertrand Delanoe. Unlike many people in this election, he worked with honesty and sincerity.

If that's the way you win the Games, then it's a good thing we dont have them. Again, congratulations to London...

Cordelia.

Every olympic expert (including those working for this website) acknowledged on the fact that Paris had the best file to host the 2012 Games. Paris had the best urban transports web, 50% of her venues were already built to host the games, and her projects of new venues were considered "bold, modern and outstanding" by the IOC  Commission that visited Paris.
Technically it was the safest bid and the one with the fewest risks. That doesn't necessarily mean it was the best. I, and many others, think that London's new stadium and the Olympic Park concept, although riskier than Paris' plans, are more exciting. The majority of the IOC thought so as well btw.
Paris had already lost twice and it was HER turn. Now you have enough nerve to talk about the "typical French arrogance"? First let me tell you that this racist cliché is highly revealing about your poor cultural level and your weak knowledge of the world and of the people.

The first sentence in this quote is exactly what people mean when they say French arrogance! It is a horrible stereotype, I agree, but it's one that you're living up to I'm afraid Cordelia. If it was 'Paris' turn' then why was there an expensive and drawn out bidding process? BTW I'll ignore the insults as you're new.

Only one city considered herself as "above the rules" and intentionally used dubious methods (I call it corruption) to win, such as T.Blair (who is a very good Prime Minister regardless of what he did in Singapore) inviting IOC members before the vote, which is STRICTLY forbidden by the IOC. The corruption that is eating at the IOC (even if some are still) is truly scandalous and London's attitude, based on the of this corruption and on the base and appaling attacks directed to Paris is simply cloying and London's victory is thus deprived of glory, colorless and truly unfair.
Oh Dear God! There's nothing worse than a sore loser! Rogge, the head of the IOC said no rules were broken. If he's happy so should you be. By the appaling attackes directed at Paris, I assume you mean the comment that Paris' stadium isn't completely suited to athletics. I'm not convinced that a single IOC member who was going to vote Paris would vote for any other bid, especailly not London, based upon this one comment. If anything, it'd make them more anti-London and pro-Paris I would have thought! London was found guilty of nothing throughout this process - even the incentives were probably going to be given the go ahead - yet some people can't accept that. The best bid won; get over yourself.
naively believing that the IOC would just elect the city with the best candidature, as it is expected to. But in the meanwhile London (along with Putin, Ecclestone, Coe and other dishonest people) were obviously using the right method to win.

If the French bidding team were naive enough to believe after their third bid that the IOC choose the best technical bid then they have had their eyes shut for the last twenty years. The IOC isn't "expected" to do anything. They pick the bid they believe is the best one for the year in question. That was London.

See you in London in seven years when I hope you'd have mellowed and accepted your defeat graciosuly.

"Strictly forbidden?"  "Corruption?"

These are reasons for London to have the Games withdrawn so we look forward to Cordelia posing the proof here.

Exerting undue political infleuence is an infringement of the lobbeying rules and this is what the IOC said about this.

"But Jacques Rogge, the president of the IOC, exonerated Blair, praising instead British efforts to bring the Games to London for the first time since 1948.

"What we call political influence is if a member would be swayed in his decision for political ideology reasons," he said. "I do not believe Tony Blair asked any of the members to join the Labour party.

"Mr Blair was very successful in selling the idea that members should vote for London. London won because it was a great bid. Its candidature file was outstanding."

The best bid does not always win and it is for reasons like that we can have had some recent magnificent Olympic games as we will have in London 2012.

I actually felt sorry for Paris when they didn't win and was surprised as much as anyone when London was announced, because I think the IOC have taken a HUGE risk and only time will tell if the risk has paid off, but my gut instinct tells me London will host a magnificant games. The IOC chose to vote with their hearts rather than their heads. It must really hurt because Paris were seen as the favourites all the way through, so its no surprise expectation was high and that's why people are trying to pick holes in London to discredit the bid as much as possible, but these people are just clutching at straws. And Cordelia's trying to place a halo on top of France, when it hasn't exactly been angelic (but then again no bid has) It will take time to realise, but London had a perfectly legitimate bid, and won fair and square - simple.

I actually felt sorry for Paris when they didn't win and was surprised as much as anyone when London was announced, because I think the IOC have taken a HUGE risk and only time will tell if the risk has paid off, but my gut instinct tells me London will host a magnificant games. The IOC chose to vote with their hearts rather than their heads. It must really hurt because Paris were seen as the favourites all the way through, so its no surprise expectation was high and that's why people are trying to pick holes in London to discredit the bid as much as possible, but these people are just clutching at straws. And Cordelia's trying to place a halo on top of France, when it hasn't exactly been angelic (but then again no bid has) It will take time to realise, but London had a perfectly legitimate bid, and won fair and square - simple.

They voted with money in the pocket, not with their hearts.

They voted with money in the pocket, not with their hearts.

YAWN   :rolleyes:

I'm not even bothering answering them, it's far too warm and sticky to be bothering with sore losers.  Would like to ditto what Rob said, and am gratefull he at least mananged to muster enough willpower and fight to answer the likes of Cordelia and others.

He must have an Air Conditioned office lol  :D

We won fairly and squarely because the majority of IOC members thought London was the City which offered the best home for the 2012 Olympics.

I'm not even bothering answering them, it's far too warm and sticky to be bothering with sore losers.  Would like to ditto what Rob said, and am gratefull he at least mananged to muster enough willpower and fight to answer the likes of Cordelia and others.

He must have an Air Conditioned office lol  :D

We won fairly and squarely because the majority of IOC members thought London was the City which offered the best home for the 2012 Olympics.

:) Nuff Said!

i think you are wrong about delanoé

he is for sure a bad looser,but he is not that arrogant

he makes all he can to have the best bid for paris..he made all that for paris,not for economic purpose,he really love his city,that s why he is so deceive.

he wants the best for his city and is not corrupted like ancient mayor like tiberi & chirac.to be fair he is the first no corrupted mayor for a long time.

he wants so much the games for good reason whereas the other wants to be reelected or win money,that s why i respect him a lot :wink:

ar·ro·gant

ADJECTIVE:

Having or displaying a sense of overbearing self-worth or self-importance.

I think that sums up the attitude of Delanoé quite nicely.

All of you who are defending this slime ball and attempting to undermine the win by London are further enhancing my view that is wasn't just he who is a poor loser. Paris is looking more and more undignified as the days go on and is proving that the stigma of arrogance of the two previous bids has not gone away, despite the "we have listened and learned" assertion Paris made in their glossy production. This was all just lip service, empty words that meant absolutely nothing.

And here's the point, Paris were SO arrogant, that it couldn't possibly imagine anyone else winning, so it was a confident arrogance, which in my book is just so much worse.

I felt sorry for Paris in a way and wasn't going to rub their noses in it, but now they need defeat after defeat until they get the message. I hope they lose everything they bid for until they are humble enough to realise. I can only imgaine the grotesque noxious Parisian arrogance that would pervade if the city won the Games anytime soon. And it gives me no pleasure to say this either.

Archived