The Coolist Olympics Since 1952- What's Yours?

Alexjc

Host City  

62 members have voted

1. 1. The Coolist...

• Helsinki 52
    • Melbourne 56
    • Rome 60
    • Tokyo 64
    • Mexico City 68
    • Munich 72
    • Montreal 76
    • Moscow 80
    • Los Angeles 84
    • Seoul 88
    • Barcelona 92
    • Atlanta 96
    • Sydney 00
    • Athens 04
    • Beijing 08

I voted for Barcelona - it was an amazing Games. Barcelona was the only one that seemed to get the perfect mix of sport and culture. The legacy of hosting the Games has also been far more successful for the 1992 host too.

I voted for Barcelona - it was an amazing Games. Barcelona was the only one that seemed to get the perfect mix of sport and culture. The legacy of hosting the Games has also been far more successful for the 1992 host too.

:) So True...

Sigh, how many of these polls have we had over the years??????

Anyway, I did a double vote. Sydney will always live on in my heart as my favourite - naturally. It touched me in more ways than I ever expected. I've NEVER been prouder to be an Aussie!

I'll always have a soft spot for Barcelona, though. It was my other vote. It just seemed to me to have a true, colourful passionate atmosphere that has lived on in my memories.

I'll always have a soft spot for Atlanta, as the first games I attended in person. I've certainly never subscribed to the Atlanta-bashing. But to describe them as the "coolest" - that might be a bit too much kudos for it.

Well not surprising to have your hometown Olympics as your favorite but Atlanta as something you also experienced I think is good as well. I don't think your hometown favor goes without huge merit by any standard. Sydney I personally think was a great Olympics simply as one that defines the ones that came after for a long time. You can say that about LA 84 to a degree but its general effect has worn off by 2000. The lasting effect of an Olympics in the positive for the movement seems to last about 20 years IMO. The Modern Olympic Park I believe is the creation or refining in Sydney 2000. Many other continental festivals have generally taken the Sydney 2000 template. I can't see that changing until 2020 or maybe as soon as 2016 depending on who actually wins.

I hold Barcelona as one that is high up there to the simplicity with the Athletics and Aquatics Venues. I still have in my mind the backdrop for the diving at Barcelona as it was outdoors. The main stadium has been around for decades . No real architectural master pieces and thus no distractions from the Athletic performances.

Jim jones

• 9 months later...

Voted for Seoul and Barcelona.

The Olympics brought democracy to South Korea just one year before in '87, that can't be stated enough. It allowed the Korean people to enjoy the Games even more. It mobilized the country to come together, and they ended up embracing sport, something that continues to this day. It was also a developing country at the time, and gave the country the incentive to become a part of the world community. It subsequently helped in establishing ties with the Communist nations of the world. And the '88 Games were the last of many things, leaving a sort of nostalgic feel about those Games. A classic feel, if you will. The last of the daytime opening ceremonies. The last of the release of doves. And most notably, the last of the Communist era. The days of USSR/East German dominance are long gone, probably never to return.

And then there's Barcelona, the start of a new era. Nighttime opening ceremonies, crazier logos, a post-Communist world, a unified Germany, the rise of China. All of which, when combined with the Catalan spirit, provided for an amazing atmosphere.

Voted for Seoul and Barcelona.

The Olympics brought democracy to South Korea just one year before in '87, that can't be stated enough. It allowed the Korean people to enjoy the Games even more. It mobilized the country to come together, and they ended up embracing sport, something that continues to this day. It was also a developing country at the time, and gave the country the incentive to become a part of the world community. It subsequently helped in establishing ties with the Communist nations of the world. And the '88 Games were the last of many things, leaving a sort of nostalgic feel about those Games. A classic feel, if you will. The last of the daytime opening ceremonies. The last of the release of doves. And most notably, the last of the Communist era. The days of USSR/East German dominance are long gone, probably never to return.

And then there's Barcelona, the start of a new era. Nighttime opening ceremonies, crazier logos, a post-Communist world, a unified Germany, the rise of China. All of which, when combined with the Catalan spirit, provided for an amazing atmosphere.

Nagano had daytime ceremonies.

Barcelona was great!!!

1. It was great for the city, which was transformed by the Games in an way never seen before or after.

2. It was great to watch. The images of the diving athletes jumping in the void with the city in the background were just amazing.

3. The Real Dream Team with Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird among others.

I was just incredible. The best one I have seen.

Good call. I wonder how much of that was influenced by American tv networks.

Though this thread only takes into account Summer Olympics. ;)

I think it had more to do with the stadium not having an adequate lighting system and Japanese culture. Though those ceremonies were very stark and cold.

I voted for Beijing. Politics aside, the ceremonies were spectacular and the competitions great! Michael Phelps, Usian Bolt, Yang Wei, Team USA basketball, 2nd consecutive gold for Argentina in soccer, more countries winning medals than ever before, there were just soooooooo many good stories from those games!

I also voted for Atlanta for personal sentiment. Growing up in Atlanta, it was my first experience with the Olympics. I was only 10, and didn't really care about the games before hand. My whole family was into it. We watched many events as a family on TV, and got into pin collecting with my grandma. I also had a huge crush on Dominqiue Mocheanu from the USA gymnastics team and my best friend was in love with Shanon Miller so we would always fight over who was prettier. Good times! :)

1988 - The last of the release of doves. .

Actually, Barcelona was the last time "live" doves were used (a fact in the upcoming book) ;) . The last release happens during the Sardana dance.

Also, re Nagano's daytime ceremonies, it might've also been because of the Japanese Imperial family. I am sure the Imperial Household was consulted first before setting the time of the Ceremony. The Japanese are very reverential to their Emperor.

I find it a tad ironic that no one has voted for Rome yet, and there's a book out there that claims Rome had the best games, which changed the world. I haven't read it yet but have been meaning to take a look.

Rome's Games are over-rated. A lot of its visual records are in b&w...therefore, boring.

Anybody can read a lot of important poltiical and other implications into ANYTHING. It's called 'spinning.' :)

As you probably agree, ATLANTA's are the gold-standard by which ALL Games are measured. ;)

My number 1 choice is Barcelona with Sydney a close second.

As to the worst, didn't see that thread, but cannot imagine any games being worse than St Louis 1904.

Definitely! The "Anthropology Days" were an absolute disgrace. Those games almost killed the movement. Granted, Munich had Black September, but there were some sporting accomplishments too (Mark Spitz for example.)

Archived