The Coolist Olympics Since 1952- What's Yours?

Alexjc

Host City  

62 members have voted

1. 1. The Coolist...

• Helsinki 52
    • Melbourne 56
    • Rome 60
    • Tokyo 64
    • Mexico City 68
    • Munich 72
    • Montreal 76
    • Moscow 80
    • Los Angeles 84
    • Seoul 88
    • Barcelona 92
    • Atlanta 96
    • Sydney 00
    • Athens 04
    • Beijing 08

:) SINCE THERE IS A 'NEGATIVE' SITE - WORST OLYMPICS - MAINLY BASHING ATLANTA AND ATHENS...SOOOOOO,

LETS GO FOR THE 'COOLIEST' SUMMER GAMES IN YOUR OPINION.

SIMPLE CRITERIA:

* Atmosphere - Wow Factor.

* Style

* People

* Exotic Location

* Performances (Athletes and organization)

VOTE, AND THEN GIVE A REASON...YES YOU CAN MULTI CHOOSE.

:mellow: Yes it will be hard to look back past 1968 due to the age demographics of the membership of Games Bids...but what the hey! Many enthusists out there.

Tough one.

From what I have seen on TV, it's close between Barcelona and Sydney. I voted Barcelona but I could have voted Sydney on another day.

Among those I have experienced, (i.e. Athens and Beijing), it's Athens easily: although the preparation was chaotic, the Games themselves were run smoothly, the Greek people were really friendly, the atmosphere in the city was great, the venues more than adequate. Beijing was great but lacking the human scale Athens had.

Sadly too young to properly remember Barcelona. I voted Sydney; for all the talk of London not being able to match Beijing, I've always thought, and still think the 2000 games are actually the ones we should try to come closest to emulating. Easily my favourite games.

i chose athens because it was just an amazing atmosphere and i loved the stadium complex!

i would also say that barcelona was amazing too - such a stunning place and amazing atmosphere - but for me athen's clinches it - must be the sunshine and the sexy greeks!

beijing was visually stunning but just didn't excite me - seem so cold and clinical.

the games i have the fondest regard for are LA 84 - was the 1st games i really remember and just loved all the colour and it was the 1st games to have a true "look of the games".

the only games i was underwhelmed by is atlanta - am not sure why (maybe coz Team GB were shite there)!

Well if I had multi voted, I would have voted for Sydney, Athens, Beijing. I think the 2000's may have been been the best Olympic decade ever so far. Barcelona was great too. This is all only from what I have seen on television through the lens of NBC and read about in other places and heard.

Sadly too young to properly remember Barcelona. I voted Sydney; for all the talk of London not being able to match Beijing, I've always thought, and still think the 2000 games are actually the ones we should try to come closest to emulating. Easily my favourite games.

I think you are right in regards to trying to emulate Sydney as opposed to Beijing 2008 in Regards to London 2012.

As to the haters of Atlanta or Los Angeles (or those too young to remember LA 84) you would probably not have the Olympics period if it was not for the 84 games simply because the Olympics in the Late 1970's was on deaths door step. Ironically the Man who saved the Olympics Peter Ueberroth was born on the day Baron Pierre de Coubertin died September 2nd 1937.

Comparing Olympics of different eras is indeed difficult. It is like trying to compare the athletes of different eras. Munich and Montreal certainly were very memorable for better or worse . Munich I can remember in regards to Mark Spitz and Olga Corbet . Montreal had Bruce Jenner and Nadia Comăneci. Olympics are generally blessed either huge stars on the field of play one year and then it goes flat for another years. Architecture well who cares . Dubai you can see unbelievable architecture without as much as one 100 meter dash . To me topping each olympics really is a fools game losing focus of what the games are about . Bringing to the worlds youth to compete. Bolts ease to how he won the 100 meters to me is way more important and entertaining then a Artistic Statement with the Birds Nest stadium .

Jim jones

i chose athens because it was just an amazing atmosphere and i loved the stadium complex!

i would also say that barcelona was amazing too - such a stunning place and amazing atmosphere - but for me athen's clinches it - must be the sunshine and the sexy greeks!

beijing was visually stunning but just didn't excite me - seem so cold and clinical.

the games i have the fondest regard for are LA 84 - was the 1st games i really remember and just loved all the colour and it was the 1st games to have a true "look of the games".

the only games i was underwhelmed by is atlanta - am not sure why (maybe coz Team GB were shite there)!

LA 84 to me besides the financial success was the vivid color of the venues which you did not have before with Montreal 1976 which was the prior Summer Games seen here in Canada. LA 84 proved a great deal could be done with little money and great imagination. Having Hollywood Talent at the committees disposal made for a colorful games

Jim jones

* Atmosphere - Wow Factor.

* Style

* People

* Exotic Location

* Performances (Athletes and organization)

:D

For sheer Exotic location, you can't top Mexico City in 1968! Relatively pollution free (compared to today), The bright colours, the funky "space age " venues and architecture, the world records, the controversy, and Avery Brundage's vice like grip on the games. - Oh and the amazing SunDial Mexico 68' crest, try freehand drawing it! B)

Barcelona is my all time favourite in THIS time frame. I really enjoyed the Atmosphere and Feel. The climate, People, and the fact that the venues were waiting for over 60 years and showed everyone that you don't have to be flash. Wow what an amazing site the view from the high diving boards was to be had at the pool. Samaranch for ever. For exotic local, a very close second to 1968!(IMO).

Los Angeles gets the BIG Thank You as the saviour of the Olympic Games. Even with the Eastern Bloc not present, they were still amazing and finally dragged the movement kicking and screaming into the commercial era! And of course there are the Performances - NZ winning all it's gold medals "sitting down", Carl Lewis, Mary-loo Renton, Mary Decker V Zola Budd....and on and on... :)

Sigh, how many of these polls have we had over the years??????

Anyway, I did a double vote. Sydney will always live on in my heart as my favourite - naturally. It touched me in more ways than I ever expected. I've NEVER been prouder to be an Aussie!

I'll always have a soft spot for Barcelona, though. It was my other vote. It just seemed to me to have a true, colourful passionate atmosphere that has lived on in my memories.

I'll always have a soft spot for Atlanta, as the first games I attended in person. I've certainly never subscribed to the Atlanta-bashing. But to describe them as the "coolest" - that might be a bit too much kudos for it.

I voted for Beijing purely because I have never seen British athletes do as well at any other Games and therefore I watched the various events with a greater sense of excitement and anticipation!

But I also have a soft spot for Munich '72 as these were the first Games I watched and can recall with any detail .Plus I just loved the atmosphere despite the tragic murder of the Israeli athletes.Despite that terrible interruption,I'm afraid I was relieved when then IOC president Avery Brundage declared that the Games would go on because I was enjoying them so much.In my defence,I interpreted his decision as an act of tribute to the dead athletes and an act of defiance to the terrorists which I'm sure was his intention anyway!

Sydney

and i can´t stand all the hype Beijing still get, good games, and perfect Venues, but thats not all what perfect games need.

but i think the IOC just praise Bejing because they want to stop all the negativ stuff from the time before

The IOC praising Beijing is normal: the IOC praises every host city. Praising Beijing doesn't take anything away from Sydney, Athens & Co.

Besides, I don't remember anyone claiming that Beijing was "perfect".

Sigh, how many of these polls have we had over the years??????

I think this is a good thread as it's the first one like this we've had since Beijing. I honestly thought (not because I think this) that Beijing would be up there jointly with Barcelona and Sydney. But so far the results are not swinging that way which is intruiging.

I wonder if and how the results would differ if this poll was more general - i.e. amongst members of the public, with perhaps only a passing interest in the Olympics.

I was very generous and voted for Sydney, Athens, and Beijing.

I have very few memories of Sydney 2000 but from all accounts- it was amazing. The sport, the volunteers, the sights, the atmosphere, and the locals of a captivating fun-loving city. It was an event that truly united the world under the most exceptional and joyous circumstances one could ever hope for. Cities either have the goods to host the Games like this or they don’t; you just can’t organize such a tremendously wonderful Olympic ambiance.

There will always be a special place for Athens 2004 in me. It was my first Games that I thoroughly watched, enjoyed, and was mesmerized by. And I will always be captivated by the idea of the Games returning home.

I believe the Games should have a certain element of grandness to them. Beijing met that 10 times over. Also, the Chinese embrace of the Games was very evident, it leaked through my television at times!

:mellow: Sydney and Barcelona are by far the stand out performers in this poll.

Surprisingly I thought Sydney's Opening (and Closing) Ceremonies just seemed to go on...and on...and on... And then the flame's lifting Cauldron jammed with poor old Cathy Freeman standing there soaking wet in the water wearing only a white running skinsuit waiting for this contraption to start moving up and on it's way...(ok it wasn't all THAT bad!).

(I believe the IOC did have something to say about the one-up-man-ship of how everyone lights the flame and has stomped on over the top sillyness such as the likes of Sydney and Beijing.)

Other than that the games were good but felt just too "Big". Beijing was just 1936 all over again! London will bring it, the games, back to Earth.

As for Athens...The only peave I have is why did they have to rebuild the main stadium? I liked those funky looking leaning in light towers.

Archived