Dlr Extension Opens

Rob2012

An important north-south transport link that will be used by thousands of spectators during the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games has opened ahead of schedule today.

Passengers are now using the Docklands Light Railway’s (DLR’s) 2.5km extension from King George V north of the River Thames to Woolwich Arsenal in the south.

During the Games, this will help spectators in Woolwich and the south east get to the Olympic Park and other venues, such as ExCeL, to the north of the river. The extension was funded as part of Transport for London’s (TfL’s) £10bn Investment Programme.

The Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) is investing around £80m in enhancements, including new rail cars, across the DLR network in time for the London 2012 Games. Part of this funding will also go towards fitting out Blackwall and East India stations to accommodate the longer three-car trains that will eventually run from the City to Woolwich Arsenal.

Hugh Sumner, Director of Transport for the ODA, said: ‘With 500,000 people using the DLR on each day of the first week of the Olympic Games, the DLR will be critical to our plans. We are investing in permanent improvements to the DLR network to help us deliver world-class transport for London 2012.’

More here (pdf)

------

The extension will play a vital role during the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games as it will serve the Royal Artillery Barracks in Woolwich, which will hold the shooting events, and provide an important transport link and access from Woolwich and South East London to the Olympic Park and other venues.

------

Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, said: "I am absolutely delighted that this extension of the DLR with its cracking new station is up and running and puts Woolwich Arsenal firmly on the tube map.

"Woolwich has long lacked the transport links that encourage the creation of new jobs, homes and shops; and this is exactly the sort of project that will help kick the credit crunch where it hurts. The extension will also play an important role in the Olympic transport network. People in this part of London will now be just a 24-minute hop, skip and a jump away from the Olympic site."

Rob,

how expensive is a normal day-ticket of the London public transport system network?

Do you think that it is a good idea to create an "Olympic transport ticket", which you can buy for a half period or a full period during the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games?

The problem with day tickets during the games is that they tend to be very expensive when you have to purchase them for the peak periods. I would imagine that many events would involve travelling at these peak times.

I would advise anyone to get an Oyster card and consider buying a weekly ticket on an Oyster card. These weekly tickets are valid at Peak times.

Daily tickets can go up to about £13 if you want all zones and are travelling peak. It is much cheaper if you travel through less zones and travel outside of peak hours.

Remember that if you get an Oyster card you are safe in the knowledge that wherever you travel in London you will never be charged more than the set price of a London day/weekly pass price for the zoes that you have travelled threough. It takes all of the stress out of things when you know that you will automatically be paying the cheapest price.

You may also consider a weekly bus price at around £13 but it depends whether your hotel is easily accesible to the events.

The price of a 1-3 zone weekly pass is £30.20 and covers Central London and the Olympic Park aswell as the O2 arena and Excel. I would buy this ticket myself for the games. Zone 1 is the central Zone and goes outwards towards Zone 6 in the Outer suburbs. The Olympic Park is in Zone 3.

Hope that helps. It is rather confusing.

2009 fares

As a regular visitor to London, I think the tube is very convenient and rather well organised.

I do think however that single trip tickets are ridiculously expensive. I would advise anyone indeed to get an Oyster card which makes the whole thing much more affordable.

Archived