What happens next?

So, come July 7, what do you think will happen to your candidate city if it should have failed to win the vote the previous day? Will there be murmurings about another bid, a promise to support someone else for 2016, or will it all go quiet?

I think the UK will put its energy into getting the World Cup in 2014 or 2018.

The French have done everything else, but I think they might take it hard, so I could see a few recriminations there.

The US would go for 2016.

The Spanish would also go for the World Cup.

The Russians will try again

NYC - will most definately come back for 2016.

Moscow - has said it will also be back, but if Europe wins, I think it will be more of an uphill fight than 2012.

Paris - my guess is that Paris is saying 3 strikes and we're out.

London - maybe if NYC wins.  But they'd probably opt out if Paris or another European city wins.

Madrid - might be back, but if Europe wins, they stand little chance.

And to further the discussion, what would you personally like to see happen next? I'd hope that if by some misfortune London doesn't get the nod, that it will throw its weight behind a 2016 bid from somewhere like Cape Town, as well as planning to get back in the ring itself as soon as possible.

And to further the discussion, what would you personally like to see happen next? I'd hope that if by some misfortune London doesn't get the nod, that it will throw its weight behind a 2016 bid from somewhere like Cape Town, as well as planning to get back in the ring itself as soon as possible.

I wouldn't mind the UK getting behind Cape Town, but I also think there may be a few surprises: possibly a Gulf state like Dubai or even India; therefore, I can see the UK having divided loyalties.

Archived