Americans Find Out Their Ticket Winnings Today

While it is true scalpers can apply en-masse for tickets their chances of getting premium tickets are the same as yours - also Vancouver has the new policy of charging immediately as your tickets are confirmed - meaning scalpers run the risk of getting hundreds of biathlon tickets they will have troubles shifting. At least with Beijing through CoSport you got an initial offer of tickets - you could then decide which if any you wanted to keep and then they charged you for what you agree to use.

In regards to this current arrangement - I'm in Australia. I am not going to fly all the way to Vancouver if all I get is one curling and one ice hockey ticket. I'm going to want at least a few days full of events to make it worth the considerable expense. Unfortunately in this instance I will get whatever I get and get charged either way - meaning if I only get 2 tickets they will be unused. On the plus side it loks like Australia did get a fair allocation this time around after the Beijing f*ck up.

It makes far more sense to me to let the buyer know what they are offered first and then give them the choice of what they want to keep or pass up. Sure that means a lot of undesirable sport tickets will be put back in the pool - but there appears to be no shortage of Canadians willing to see anything they can get in to.

I hope London 2012 does a better job looking after the foreign allotments.

I still think that requiring folks to put the money up front before the ticket allocation discourages applicants who really have no intention of attending-- resulting in better odds for those who do. I'm not ruling out going now, but I'm not sure I want to scramble for tickets like I did for Beijing.

At any rate, hope your luck is better than mine.

OK - spoke to Louise (lovely girl!) at CoSport in Sydney - CoSport are globally sending out confirmations in dribs and drabs. Everyone will be notified by Friday. They have done it this wayy so when everyone rings in to complain/celebrate their systems do not get overcrowded and go down. All remaining tickets go back to VANOC who redistributes them to each CoSprt branch for the Feb onsale.

Apparently Australia did well - quite a few ceremony and ice hockey tickets - no gold medal hockey for either sex though and very few figure skating. Also we seem to have got a ton of alpine skiing - not unlike the avalanch of Beijing boxing tickets that came our way.. sheesh!!!

Edited by thatsnotmypuppy

US, Aussie Olympic tickets nearly sell out

Canadians who had to contend with the convoluted lottery system the Vancouver Organizing Committee used to allocate tickets to the 2010 Games will have some sympathy for their American and Australian counterparts.

This week CoSport, Vanoc’s authorized ticket agent for a number of countries, announced results of lotteries it conducted in the US and Australia. No one who witnessed the Canadian lottery system will be surprised to discover that tickets in the US and Australia were also in short supply.

I suppose it’s a happy place for Vanoc to be when many of its 170 events are so oversubscribed that the only way to fairly allocate tickets is by lottery.

However, try telling that to those who came out of the lotteries empty-handed, without even so much as a nosebleed seat to a hockey game. Over the last month I’ve been regularly called by people angry either that they didn’t get any tickets, or that they got tickets to events they didn’t really want but applied for in the hope of increasing their odds of getting something, anything.

It turns out that Americans and Australians have had a similar experience. Demand in both countries was so high that Jet Set Sports, the sister company to CoSport, injected thousands of tickets from its own sponsor allocation.

Caley Denton, Vanoc’s vice-president of ticketing, said Tuesday that’s because Vanoc couldn’t fill all the requests made by national Olympic Committees. Even the Canadian Olympic Committee didn’t get all the tickets it wanted.

Vanoc will produce about 1.6 million tickets, with 70 per cent of them going to the public. Of that, less than 30 per cent of that 70 per cent will go to people outside of Canada, he said. The vast majority has been reserved for Canadians, and he allowed that Vanoc could easily have sold more tickets for higher prices if it had chosen to.

You can find details of CoSport’s American and Australian ticket sales here.

On a related note, my friend Peter Morgan over at Morgan News: 2010, an industry newsletter, noted that while CoSport says it used a “reputable, worldwide audit and tax firm to oversee the effectiveness of the lottery”, it wouldn’t identify the firm.

"Based on our agreement with the auditing firm, we are unable to release the name of the firm.,” he said was CoSport’s emailed reply to his query as to the identity of the auditors.

"The company also refused to disclose whether it was the auditing firm, CoSport, its parent firm or Jet Set Sports that placed the gag clause in the agreement, or whether the firm had any connection to VANOC. To those questions, the spokesman will only say, "We are unable to provide this information to the public." CoSport said initially it hired the firm "to ensure fairness and transparency during the lottery process."

Denton told me that Vanoc used Deloitte to independently audit the Canadian lottery. He didn’t know who CoSport used.

Last September Vanoc signed Deloitte as an official supplier of professional services.

http://communities.canada.com/vancouversun...y-sell-out.aspx

Vanoc will produce about 1.6 million tickets, with 70 per cent of them going to the public. Of that, less than 30 per cent of that 70 per cent will go to people outside of Canada, he said. The vast majority has been reserved for Canadians, and he allowed that Vanoc could easily have sold more tickets for higher prices if it had chosen to.

I know it's normal to allocate 30% to the Olympic Family. So 49% of the total is going to Canada and 21% to the rest of the world.

Could swear I read this before, anyone else know?

I thought I had read that more standing-room only tickets would be sold at the games than normal tickets in pre-sales. This was only for certain outdoor events though (noridc, biathlon, etc.)

I wonder if the allocations are going out in order of olympic preference... Since Visa is the official credit card and I reserved with Mastercard. It would be interesting if Visa members were finding out before MC/Discover/AmEx.

Nope - apparently the credit card makes no difference - its based on your order number or so I guess. A friend of mine with an order a couple of hundred before mine got his email on Tuesday. I expect to see mine today.

For the record my friend got everything except his ceremony and gold mens hockey request. He got figure skating, curling, bob, ice hockey, downhill and snowboard sessions.

If you are under two that is correct.

YellowVest if you have nothing constructive add just f*ck off. You are just not that clever and frankly your whole high and mighty act is getting tiresome.

As for standing I do believe that at the Biathlon and Cross Country venues there will be expanded capacity. At the past few Olympics the organisers have opened up certain parts of the skiing track to spectators if the demand warrants it. Torino for instance when faced with the huge last minute rush of local ticket buyers allocated an additional 12,500 admissions to the cross country events. I recall Lillehammer doing the same - whereas Albertville did not.

Looks like 50,000 of the 1.6 million tickets were alloted to the U.S. so that shoots down talk that it's just Americans that are getting all the tickets:

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/more.js...06_102301_31180

I got all my requests PLUS they threw in an extra four (4) Opening Ceremony tickets. Anybody want those at only $1,899.00 each?

OK so I got my confirmation today - and boy am I happy!

My Van2010 Olympic trip looks like this -

Feb 12

ZO001 Opening Ceremony - B reserve 18:00-21:00

Feb 13

SS001 Speed Skating - B reserve 12:00-14:45

ST001 Short Track Speed Skating - B Reserve 17:00-19:45

Feb 14

LG002 Luge - B reserve 15:00-19:00

Feb 15

SB001 Snowboard - B reserve 10:30-14:45

Feb 16

CU001 Curling - A reserve 09:00-12:00

Feb 17

ST002 Short Track Speed Skating - B reserve 17:00-19:15

Feb 18

BT004 Biathlon - B reserve 10:00-15:00

SN001 Skeleton - B reserve 16:00-20:30

Feb 20

FR003 Freestyle Skiing - A reserve 10:00-11:30

Feb 21

FR004 Freestyle Skiing - B reserve 09:15-13:30

The only ticket I didnt get was IH009 Ice Hockey for Feb 16.

Needless to say I am pretty happy! Sure its a lot of B reserve - but at least I get in. So yay for me - sucks for a lot of you guys though. I cant beleive I got more than most Canadians - that is f*cked up.

5 tickets Short track, 5 tickets for Bobsleigh, 3 tickets for figure skating, and 1 ticket for Skiing. Really, at least one of them should have been confirmed, at 3:1 odds for winning a lottery that should have given me 4.6 tickets, but zero?

Anyone interested in selling?