Zambia Backs Out As Host Of 2011 All-africa Games

Rafa

Apparently a shortlist is being compiled. Should be interesting

Well Certainly Beyond Johannesburg I Think would be Durban in regards to South Africa. I say this because the new stadium for the WC 2010 actually has provisions for an athletics surface.

I also see that The Nigerian Sports Commission how has a couple of New Policies to make themselves able to host with much more ease . A Permanent Athletes Village , Fully accredited WADA LAB and an Institute of Sport Medicine are all on their new policy list. Their WADA Lab is being updated from 2003 as time matches on with Drug Cheats .

Considering their public housing commitment is about twice the Suite Requirement for the New Delhi 2010 CWGs and they have certainly put together a games village for the 2003 is very short order it is possible that Abuja indeed could be on that short list.

I think it will most likely go back to Johannesburg to keep it in the South tip of Africa. Jim Jones

• 2 weeks later...
How about Cairo ? I am sure they have somewhat decent facilities to host the games ?

Cairo Certainly would probably have the Facilities the big thing is whether the powers to be would entertain taking it out of the general geographic area of Africa that it was awarded to. I would think South African cities like Johannesburg and Durban would to the logical choices. Back to Back North Africa games might be a hard sell considering 2007 was in Algiers. Even with my loyalty to Nigeria I would certainly not want it taken from the general area of the South Tip for lets say Abuja or Accra , Ghana. Who knows could Angola host ?

Jim Jones

• 4 weeks later...
I wonder if Maputo will be ready.

Well the Chinese are to finish an Athletics Stadium before the 2010 Fifa World Cup . This is complete with running track and practice track . I read an article in the Daily Nation that Events being placed in other cities in other countries has been done with the All-African Games . for 2007 Algiers did not have the Field Hockey facility so that tournament was hosted in Kenya. Maputo apparently does not have an Aquatics Centre or Field Hockey Stadium so who knows other places including South Africa could be hosting some events. It really makes sense in many ways . Maputo will have the newest of Stadiums suited to the job without the games leaving the region they were awarded to and not going to a country that was a prior host. Durban with the new Stadium with a athletics field footprint could probably do basically the same thing and actually more for the games but the question behind the scenes might be did South Africa indeed make any offer ?

Who knows whether Maputo has a Velodrome ? maybe that event would be dropped or even hosted in Capetown's excellent Indoor Velodrome.

Jim Jones

Scaled down

But, the number of disciplines could be considerably scaled down because Maputo lacks some of the facilities. In Algeria, there were 24 disciplines.

Hockey was not part of the menu in Algeria but was hosted by Kenya. It could be the same case when swimming and hockey may not be hosted in Maputo but by another country. Maputo does not have an Olympic size swimming pool and an artificial surface for hockey.

Kenya hosted the games in 1987 and is yet to bid for the championship which is christened the Olympics for Africa. Algiers appears jinxed as a host of the All Africa Games.

In 1978, Algeria were hosts to the third edition of the pan Africa games and after that, the organisers had problems finding a a willing host until Kenya stepped in to organise the fourth edition of the games in 1987.

It is official: Maputo selected to become new host city of the 2011 All-Africa Games. Their new 42,000-seat National Stadium will serve as the main venue. Since there are two years left before the event takes place, construction of most of the venues will have to be in record time. And I don't know about the athletes housing during the event.

• 2 years later...

Archived