Zambia Backs Out As Host Of 2011 All-africa Games

LUSAKA, Zambia: Zambia has withdrawn as host of the next All-Africa Games in 2011 because of the global financial crisis.

Zambia information minister Ronnie Shikapwasha cited predictions the government would not earn as much from copper and cobalt mining as had been anticipated two years ago when Lusaka was awarded the games.

Samuel Matete, a 1996 Olympic silver medalist in the 400-meter hurdles and 1991 world champion from Zambia, expressed disappointment but said the decision makes sense given the state of the global economy.

The 2007 All-Africa Games were held in Algiers, Algeria. There was no immediate decision on which country would take over to host the 2011 event.

Zambia fails Africa Again

LUSAKA: Despite several high level assurances, Zambia has withdrawn from hosting the 10th All-Africa Games scheduled for Lusaka in August 2011.

The surprise withdrawal came against the run of events, just as the country appeared to gearing up for the task. Recently, Zambia hosted a three-day consultation workshop about hosting the games with officials of the Supreme Council for Sport in Africa (SCSA).

It was an occasion for effusive official undertakings and in the end, SCSA representatives confidently said Zambia had exhibited great political will to host the games.

Thus it was a surprise when the country announced officially on Friday that it was not going to host the games. The announcement threw preparations by various sports associations into disarray. Many expressed disappointment at the turn of events. "In arriving at its decision to withdraw from hosting of the games, government took into consideration the sanctions that apply which may include a penalty," said an official statement. The SCSA has been informed and consultation will be held on the formal process for withdrawal and the consequences.

With the withdrawal, Zambia's record and credibility in pan-African sport took a further dip. This is the second time that the country has successfully bid for a continental sports event but failed to host. Zambia won the bid to host the 1988 African Cup of Nations only to withdraw. Morocco stepped in to host the tournament. Just like 1988, cost is again the elephant in the room. It is conservatively estimated that hosting the All Africa Games will cost a colossal K800 billion.

The government statement announcing the withdrawal from hosting the games cited the unfolding effects of the global economic slowdown that has fundamentally led to a fall in the price of copper, the country's main export. This has resulted in a fall in government revenue and the situation is not helped by escalating food prices, the Information Minister Ronnie Shikapwasha said. "The combination of the recent presidential elections and the expected fall in revenue arising from the global financial crisis forcefully dictated that the government choose between the honour and pleasure of hosting the games and the duty to provide food and social services. In view of these negative events, government has prioritised its spending...to concentrate on a few important programmes. Unfortunately, the hosting of the 2011 All Africa Games is one of the programmes that have been affected," the minister said.

He added that government had decided to shift resources from the hosting of the games to identified priority areas such as food production, provision of social services, housing and infrastructure. The hosting of the games is so far the biggest casualty of President Levy Mwanawasa's untimely end. He was enthusiastic and supportive of the hosting bid and gave it the necessary push. His funeral and the subsequent presidential election left a huge hole in the national budget. The country faces a general election the same year that it is supposed to host the All-African Games and the financial implications are overwhelming.

Construction of sports infrastructure will however be unaffected. The government has said that work is already in progress notably the construction of facilities to host participants at the games at the University of Zambia (UNZA) and three other educational institutions around Lusaka will continue. So is the renovation of the 42-year-old Independence Stadium, Lusaka's main sports arena. New Sports Minister, Kenneth Chipunga has given assurances that plans to construct two other stadiums in the country will not be shelved.

(Sila Press Agency)

It sucks that Lusaka unexpectedly dropped out of hosting the 2011 All-Africa Games. The decision to withdraw is because of the lack of funds most likely due to the global financial crisis. If the construction of the the sports infrastructure (including the three big stadiums) does get finished before 2011, Lusaka may have to reverse it decision to withdraw its offer to host the games, most likely at the last minute. We can't come up with a new venue for the Games only 2 years before it takes place. How is a city supposed to build the infrastructure for a multi-sport event in only two years?!

I hate it when a first-time host of a certain multi-sport event withdraws an offer to host that event.

Some cities don't need to build new venues.

Johannesburg and Cape Town could step in.

What about Durban MO as they will have a new Athletics Stadium with the running track after the WC? Dar el Salaam Tanzania also has a brand new IAAF class one Facility with 60000 seats. So why is Cape Town's council Adverse to taking risks MO ? I see that Namibia may put up their hand to rescue the games for 2011. The following article talks of the dynamics http://www.informante.web.na/index.php?opt...&Itemid=106

The IOC apparently kicks in money and the International federations do as well.

But Hey Abuja Abuja Abuja sounds fine to me LOL. After all the Association of National Olympic Committees of Africa is located in just plan old Maitama ,Abuja . The Nigerian Government has build a brand new multi-million dollar headquarters for the ANOCA in the last year. The Games are tied to the International Olympic Committee as Pierre de Coubertin conceived the idea of the games in the 1920's.

The executive would not have far to go to supervise the event as they are located at

6, Lasale Street

Off Shehu Shagari Way

Maitama, Abuja

NIGERIA

It is only a couple of Miles to ABUJA ABUJA ABUJA in between the

airport and the district of Maitama Abuja.

Logically I think it being in the very south end of Africa as it was awarded to a south tip country in the first place But also the games could be done easier in a central place with the facilities . Considering that the number of international airlines coming into Abuja will double this year including South Africa Airways Abuja Abuja Abuja may indeed be the logical solution as it is in between Abuja's Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport and Maitama district. Since 2003 Nigeria has had two international airlines of their own emerge . Arik Air and Virgin Nigerian Airways. The 2003 games had a Nigerian Airline named IRS airlines as the official airline. IRS is a very small domestic airline unlike Arik and Virgin Nigeria.

People here crap on Abuja and how they handled the 2003 games. I read about the Capital Phase for those games and considering they awarded the All-African in September 2000 and the stadium and many of the venues were complete up to 6 months ahead of time it is an incredible feat by any means. Within that month of September 2000 Julius Berger Nigeria was awarded the Stadium contract over 80 applying companies for the job.

The only problem I have read about is actual Games operations and Johannesburg 1999 had its moments just like Algiers 2007 in that regards.

Dr. Amous Adamu the Ceo of the 2003 games has been removed as general director from the Sport Commission in late 2008 and there is a New Sports Minister as well.

Abuja putting up an Athletes Village for a 2011 games is certainly not out of the possibilities as they did it in much less then three years. They have the Land and the construction resources. By 2011 they will be into the third year of building the LRT and also the Albert Spear JR. Architects designed central district that runs from the Stadium to Eagle Square.

Albert Spear Jr. was the Masterplan designer for the Beijing Olympic Main Stadium Belt way. and Hey his father did a great job for the 1936 Berlin Olympics.

If the Nigerian's really want to host the Commonwealth Games in 2018 they should get the organizational expertise for the games operations and impress not only the African Commonwealth Delegates but the visiting delegates for the Commonwealth Games who would be making inspections to Abuja for their 2018 Bid through 2011. Nothing shows a place can actually do something then a city actually doing a similar event right in front of the voters. An event with More Athletes , More Sports and more real Sovereign Nations then the Commonwealth Games. Both games just as complex . Some of things I read in the negative on 2003 I found on the ground visiting the National Sports complex to be nit picky. The whole thing about no washrooms for the Tennis venue I could see to be true. The story made it sound like the location was out in the bush , The Tennis venue is right across from the Aquatics Centre. Two indoor Arenas. and the field hockey venue. Porta johns were at the Tennis venue which is certainly not a great thing but not as bad as was painted by one journalist.

Abuja could take the opportunity also to build some of the Venues for the 2014 bid like the 10000 seat arena for Basketball and the 25000 seat stadium for Rugby sevens. The IRB is wanting to get Rugby Sevens into the Olympics why not start with an Abuja Old parade grounds and the technical assistance or some actual money? I am sure the ANOCA might look to helping the IRB with their quest if the IRB helped Abuja with some of the technical aspects for the Old Parade Ground stadium for a Demonstration of Rugby. Fifa is certainly lending expertise to nigeria for U17 2009 and the Soccer stadiums needed for the All African Games will certainly be in good repair from that Tournament in Nigeria this year. 9 renovated stadiums compared to the 6 required.

2011 will see the completion of the National Arts Centre complete with a brand new 3500 seat Auditorium and five star hotel complex for the 20th anniversary of the Federal Capital Territory. This building has been under construction for the last two years costing 500 million US dollars. Venue for Weight lifting. A South African firm is developing a huge complex on the south side of Jabi Lake to be completed before the Games time. Jabi Lake is large enough for a rowing basin . rowing was a sport at Algiers 2007. The Jabi Lake Development includes a 3500 seat Amphitheater.

Calling up more Australians then they did for 2003 and especially ones related to the Camberra crew for the Commonwealth Games Association could probably help with votes LOL. I am sure the British Catering Commonwealth that did the 2003 All-African Games might want a return engagement LOL. Who knows a partial dress rehearsal for London 2012 for that company. Considering it is about 8000 officials and athletes for the All African Games it is not an easy task to be taken lightly.

I would not indeed be surprised if these games end up in Abuja. Nigeria has answered the call when different countries in Africa have abandoned bids in mid stream for regional soccer tournaments .

Personally I would like to see it in southern Africa but also if need be Abuja could certainly take it with not much problem or expense. The Travel Logistics to Abuja are way better now then they were in 2003 for all the countries competing.

Accra Ghana pulled out of bidding on the 2011 games and are certainly in a much better position to host since last years African Nations Cup . Hey maybe London will have their stadium ready in 2011 LOL.

Wouldn't it be something If Abuja was to rescue the 2011 All African games. Put up a 10000 seat arena , 25000 seat Soccer Venue and an Athletes village for 6000 athletes and 2000 officials two years before Glasgow was to complete the Rail Link from the airport to downtown . Gee I wonder if they could do it ? LOL That is Glasgow for the Rail link

jim jones

Apart from installing an athletics track into Green Point Stadium or setting up a temporary 40,000 seat athletics stadium, all the indoor venues in Cape Town already exist including venues for Rowing, Hockey, Football, Cycling and others.

Cape Town has two major universities.

The University of Cape Town 5 minutes from the City Centre has a capacity for 5,500 Athletes, while the University of Western Cape has a capacity of over 3,000 within 7km of Cape Town International Airport.

An alternative would be the use of Cruise Ships, but the good quality University Residence accommodation should suffice.

I'm not sure Abuja has the organizational capacity to pull it off within 2 years. A city like Johannesburg would be a lower risk.

Abuja could host though. Make sure they clean that pool first.

Apart from installing an athletics track into Green Point Stadium or setting up a temporary 40,000 seat athletics stadium, all the indoor venues in Cape Town already exist including venues for Rowing, Hockey, Football, Cycling and others.

Cape Town has two major universities.

The University of Cape Town 5 minutes from the City Centre has a capacity for 5,500 Athletes, while the University of Western Cape has a capacity of over 3,000 within 7km of Cape Town International Airport.

An alternative would be the use of Cruise Ships, but the good quality University Residence accommodation should suffice.

I'm not sure Abuja has the organizational capacity to pull it off within 2 years. A city like Johannesburg would be a lower risk.

Abuja could host though. Make sure they clean that pool first.

What did I say Above Mo ? Basically what you are looking at for Abuja is an Athletes Village as the 2003 Games village was sold at lottery post games. How long has South Africa been building stadia for the World Cup ? Three or Four years ? ANS was built between October of 2000 and April of 2003. in other words 2 years 6 months. All that is required with Abuja National stadium is the resurfacing of the track if it needs it. A stadium is much more complex then a housing development which is what a Games village is glorified.

Considering sports festivals are usually awarded 7 years prior and Abuja was awarded in 2000 I would say an awarded host has to have dropped the ball on that one.

Like with the Commonwealth Games there is the one of the three Largest IAAF Class One Stadium in the entire Commonwealth today sitting Abuja with a Capacity of 60,000. Dar el Salaam has the same capacity with their new national stadium and Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium has the same capacity and rating as far as commonwealth stadia go. Kuala Lumpur's National stadium fell off that list in 2006.

I have absolutely no doubt that even Durban could stand in for the games let alone Cape Town but the huge issue is the Main Stadium of course. Much easier to build houses then stadiums. Turning Green Point from a rectangle stadium that it will be in 2010 to a stadium hosting an IAAF sanctioned event in 13 months can be done I am sure but why bother if indeed there are other options ? I can't get google earth working on my computer for some reason but MO go and see if the Green point pitch is 180 metres long !!!! Fifa only requires 120 metres for a world cup pitch . If that is what you have with Green point then you may not indeed have a Stadium there was can support the activity that goes on in a IAAF Class one Stadium . Hampden Park has the basic floor space and seating area with Scaffolding having a 180 metre outside edge to outside edge tartan surface. in other words 60 more metres then the total length of a FIFA pitch or 50 percent more length. Are the Stands on the ends of the new Green Point Stadium Removable in 13 months ?

IF you really think Greenpoint with CONCRETE super structure for the World Cup would have the end stands torn out for the All african games then it shows how little you actually know about the specs once again like the outdoor Velodrome in Durban . 333 metres not the required is what Durban has for their outdoor track not 250 metres that all track Cycling events for sports festivals require.

A place like Mount Smart Stadium in Auckland could turn that field that back to the IAAF Class one that it was in 1990 for the Commonwealth games because they only have temporary end stands for the main activity there Rugby. Greenpoint Stadium, that is being finished for the 2010 WC, with Scaffolding over Seating is like Millennium stadium in Cardiff totally unfeasible for a IAAF event unless you knock the walls Down on the ends or in Millennium Stadiums Case have the tartan field running underneath the second deck and no one gets to see the total athletics surface. . Then you have to add a 400 meter warm up track outside the stadium minimum if not a throwing area. Green point has the Greenspace to do it surrounding the Stadium but how long were people in Capetown battling in court to stop the stadium for the WC 2010 over environmental issues ? No civic government just having battled for a World cup stadium is going to go to bat for the 2011 All African Games to also rip out a billion dollar stadium and be in court in the process most likely . The New Roof would have to go.

Gosh Mo when I come to Capetown in 2010 can I meet you . Your my hero man

Jim jones

Please remove the tons of rubbish from your posts and stick to the point. You make it very hard for people to find what your point actually is. Thanks

At Green Point an athletics track would be installed above the first tier as a platform. If this is achievable at a decent cost, an existing warm up track would be used adjacent to it.

The cost of this would need to be compared the cost of setting up a temporary athletics stadium around the athletics stadium adjacent to it. Again, warm up track could be installed at the adjacent field to the South, which was initially an athletics facility.

About the new host city, Abuja can't host the All-Africa Games for a 2nd time since it already hosted in 2003. Johannesburg can't host either since that city already hosted in 1999. And we have to find a new host city for the 2011 All-Africa Games. Without a host city, it's hopeless.

Actually forget about it. You're useless. There is no point debating with an idiot.

Actually you prove yourself to be once again Ignorant here and I am being much kinder to you then you afford me .

I am surprized to the fact that you blow smoke up peoples butts since what 2005 or earlier?

Really You don't have Clue to what the Floor SPACE that is required to put in a 400 meter Track do you ????

I measured via the Tools on Google Earth the Tracks for the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne, The Edmonton Commonwealth Stadium which hosted the 2001 IAAF World Athletics Championships and the 1983 World University Games. The All African Games are a Sanctioned event partly funded by the IAAF among other International Federations and the IOC. I have actually measured in that fashion every single Stadium that has had an IAAF Event and have a clear Satellite Picture of the Tartan Surface and found it takes 180 metres to accommodate the Surface. Hampden Park you can do it THE NEW GEEEN POINT stadium you cannot . The old Green Point Stadium had the Running track around the Soccer Field that stadium was Torn Down you might be able to do it if that stadium was not torn down .

The New Point Stadium will have a Cable suspended Fabric Roof . The Cable are supported by the a Large Steel Compression Ring which itself is supported by the exterior wall of the 402,000,000 US Dollar Stadium . In order to Modify the NEW GREEN POINT STADIUM you would have to take off the roof and knock out the ends PLAN and SIMPLE. You might not also have the Width required .

You Present Durban's old outdoor Velodrome as a place where you can host a Track Cycling event for the Commonwealth Games Yet it is 333 meters and all Sports Festivals including The All-African Games , Commonwealth Games, Summer Olympics , Asian Games and Pan Am Games have used 250 meter tracks since the Mid 1990s having the last 333 meter course for the Commonwealth games being Victoria 1994.

I have Actually been in a Class one IAAF Facility HAVE YOU ????? Probably not.

Again is physically impossible to put a Scaffolding Rise Tartan surface without Knock out the ends of this Stadium

http://www.capetown.gov.za/en/2010/gallery...onProgress.aspx

Is the City of Cape town going to have you in charge of the Stadium or Events LOL.

Here is the word right from the Cape town site on the future of Green Point Stadium

Factors considered during the planning of the stadium:

* the existence of the solid bedrock just below the surface means that the stadium could not be sunk into the ground, and therefore has to be higher, and more expensive

* The bedrock also necessitates that a podium (or "pedestal") around the stadium bowl be built to house supporting services and the entrance

* The exterior will be covered with noise-reducing cladding in order to reduce noise levels

* The roof is designed in such a way that noise will be reflected back into the stadium

* The stadium design will address concerns about noise, visual impact and financial sustainability that emerged during the Environmental Impact Assessment phase

The City's business plan for the 2010 FIFA World Cup also has three different models to assess the financial sustainability of the stadium, all of which highlight the importance of commercial space to generate income. The low scenario envisages the stadium only hosting large football matches, the base scenario sees it hosting large football matches and international rugby matches, and the high scenario sees it hosting local rugby matches in addition to the above mentioned.

Does that look like BS to you MO ? do I have to place the URL here ? I don't see one thing About Scaffolding or Athletics Meets in their business plan and they certainly are not going to knock out the ends of a stadium that has cost them twice as much as they estimates for the WC 2010 then to turn around and host the athletics of the 2011 All-African Games Tearing down half of a Stadium to do it.

Yeah not once did I call you an Idiot but hey if the shoe fits and or the TRACK Surface Can't fit the Stadium you intend it to go in !!!!

I had this debate with people thinking you could have the Millennium Stadium host Athletics for a IAAF Event . It very simple Actually go out and learn what a FIFA Soccer Pitch is and what a IAAF Track needs for room . Thats why you can indeed host a Fifa Game inside the IAAF Tracks Infield and not visa Versa.

Jim jones

Jim jones

OH by the way MO here is URL of a Satellite Image that has a great comparision between a Stadium that hosted the All-african games and a IAAF World Cup Competition and a Neighboring Stadium to be used for the 2010 fifa World Cup . Ellis Park is the World Cup Venue and Johannesburg Stadium is the IAAF Venue

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http:/...l%3Den%26sa%3DG

Very simple to see that unless Green Point has Ends that will disappear between July of 2010 and the summer of 2011 that like your theory of the Durban Velodrome you are again proven WRONG ROTFLMAO @ MO.

Jim jones

About the new host city, Abuja can't host the All-Africa Games for a 2nd time since it already hosted in 2003. Johannesburg can't host either since that city already hosted in 1999. And we have to find a new host city for the 2011 All-Africa Games. Without a host city, it's hopeless.

Why can't either city host or Algiers for that matter who hosted 2007? Namibia may put it hand up but Considering this event is 26 sports including many team sports being Soccer, Volleyball, Field Hockey , Basketball and in the Abuja addition Baseball and Softball it might be difficult for Namibia to handle if you take a look at venues on the ground today.

Algiers 2007 did not have Baseball or Softball opting for Rowing .

Johannesburg would be the logical solution to keep it in the region that won the bid unopposed. The problem of course is the Athletes Village for Johannesburg, Abuja or Algiers for that matter. Any host new or recent will have to build that . Outfitting or building Venues is not something you would want to do with the economics of the world today.

Yeah your right Abuja should not rescue the games again like they apparently did with 2003 being awarded to Abuja in September of 2000. When the 2003 were first awarded in the late 1990's Abuja was under military rule.

Jim jones

Cape Town 2011: Athletes Village

Facts:

- University Residences at the University of Cape Town (UCT) and Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT)

- Capacity: 8360 beds, 7355 rooms

- 5,394 single rooms, 1961 double rooms

- Existing bus shuttle service: 26 environmentally friendly busses

- UCT: 6km from the City Centre, 12km from Cape Town International Airport

- CPUT: 4km from the City Centre 14km from Cape Town International Airport

• 2 weeks later...

Countries clamour to host 2011 All-Africa Games

Brazzaville, Congo - Many countries have expressed their willingness to host the 2011 All-Africa Games, following the withdrawal of Zambia, said Serge Michel Odzoki, President of the Supreme Council for Sports in Africa (SCSA), on Thursday in Brazzaville, capital of Congo.

Although he did not name the countries seeking to host the games, Odzoki said a procedure had been put in place for the games to be held as and when due.

"Two years is a short period for countries which do not have sports infrastructures to host the games. The real problem, on the other hand, is the accommodation facilities. Some member countries are interested in the organisation of a competition of this importance, and we are only waiting for their confirmation," Odzoki disclosed.

The SCSA president, who is also the Congolese Minister of Sports and Youth, said he had also held talks with the SCSA secretary general, Zambia's Sostone Kashiba, on moves to maintain the independence of the council from the African Union Commission (AUC).

A few months ago in Accra, Ghana, attempts were made to have the SCSA brought under the direct control of AUC's department of social affairs and sports.

Meanwhile, a seven-member committee has been set up to audit the assets of the SCSA.

Countries clamour to host 2011 All-Africa Games

Brazzaville, Congo - Many countries have expressed their willingness to host the 2011 All-Africa Games, following the withdrawal of Zambia, said Serge Michel Odzoki, President of the Supreme Council for Sports in Africa (SCSA), on Thursday in Brazzaville, capital of Congo.

Although he did not name the countries seeking to host the games, Odzoki said a procedure had been put in place for the games to be held as and when due.

"Two years is a short period for countries which do not have sports infrastructures to host the games. The real problem, on the other hand, is the accommodation facilities. Some member countries are interested in the organisation of a competition of this importance, and we are only waiting for their confirmation," Odzoki disclosed.

The SCSA president, who is also the Congolese Minister of Sports and Youth, said he had also held talks with the SCSA secretary general, Zambia's Sostone Kashiba, on moves to maintain the independence of the council from the African Union Commission (AUC).

A few months ago in Accra, Ghana, attempts were made to have the SCSA brought under the direct control of AUC's department of social affairs and sports.

Meanwhile, a seven-member committee has been set up to audit the assets of the SCSA.

Certainly interesting but also the key words "Two years is a short period for countries which do not have sports infrastructures to host the games. The real problem, on the other hand, is the accommodation facilities. Some member countries are interested in the organisation of a competition of this importance, and we are only waiting for their confirmation,"

I can see this going to Johannesburg as it keeps it in the Geographic Neighborhood and they actually have an IAAF Athletics Facility on the ground.

If Accra had the Aquatics Centre and the other venues I would like to see that exercised as an option if it can't be some city in the southern part of Africa. Accra has an Athletes Stadium with the proper footprint that is very new. They only the tartan track installed. Accra thou does not have the range of venues for the other sports. The last three hosts I think are the only real options at this point

jim jones

• 1 month later...

Archived