2009 International Sports Calendar

So, what would be your upcoming sporting event that you want to see on TV or in person? There are a couple I could come up with here:

- the Universiades (Winter in Harbin; Summer in Belgrade);

- the World Athletics Championships in Berlin;

- for British Columbians, just before the 2010 Winter Olympics, the area is going to host the World Police and Fire Games.

For some, the F1 is their main sporting appetite, along with the European football (soccer) tournaments. The same can be applied to the likes of tennis and other summer sports.

My "sport year" 2009:

February 3rd- 15th, 2009 – Ski Alpine World Championships in Val d’Isere (France)

February 14th-22nd, 2009 – Biathlon World Championships in Pyeongchang (South Korea)

February 18th- March 2nd, 2009 – Ski Nordic World Championships in Liberec (Czechia)

March 28th, 2009 – Germany vs. Liechtenstein (World Cup Qualification)

April 1st, 2009 - Wales vs. Germany (World Cup Qualification)

May 23rd, 2009 – Last day of the Bundesliga (Federal Football League) season 2008/2009

May 30th, 2009 – Football Cup Final in Berlin

July 18th – August 2nd, 2009 – Aquatics World Championships in Rome (Italy)

August 07th- 09th, 2009 – start of the Bundesliga (Federal Football League) season 2009/2010

August 12th, 2009 – Azerbaijan [edited acc. Fasters' post] vs. Germany (World Cup Qualification)

August 15th.-23rd, 2009 – Athletics World Championships in Berlin (Germany)

September 9th, 2009 – Germany vs. Azerbaijan [edited acc. Fasters' post] (World Cup Qualification)

October 1st-9th, 2009 – IOC selects the host of the Summer Olympics 2016 in Copenhagen (Denmark)

October 10th, 2009 – Russia vs. Germany (World Cup Qualification)

October 14th, 2009 – Germany vs. Finland (World Cup Qualification)

December 4th, 2009 – Drawing of the Groups for the Football World Cup 2010 in South Africa

Three main highlights for me in 2009.

First, the British and Irish Lions tour of South Africa in the summer. I'm hoping for a similar result to 1997 when we won the Test series 2-1 and I'll bet many of my countrymen remember Jeremy Guscott's drop goal that clinched the series.

Could also be a very big year in boxing, with many of our Olympic stars turning pro and some massive contests ahead. I'm particularly looking forward to David Haye's challenge for the world heavyweight title.

The biggest one for me though will be the Ashes rematch between England and Australia. We have to avenge that 5-0 whitewash and I am optimistic we can. Hopefully, I'll be there to see a bit of it as well. July 8 and the first Test in Cardiff can't come soon enough.

My 2009 agenda :

3 World Championship :

- Jr Short Track Speed Skating, Sherbrooke, 9-11 January (as spectator)

- Luge, Lake Placid, 6-8 February (as spectator)

- Canoe-Kayak, Darmouth, 12-16 August (as volunteer)

7 World Cup :

- Freestyle Ski, Lake Placid, 18-19 January (as spectator)

- Freestyle Ski, Mont Gabriel, 24-25 January (as spectator)

- Snowboard, Stoneham, 18-22 January (as spectator)

- Artistic Gymnastic, Montreal, 6-8 March (as volunteer)

- Diving, Montreal, 30 April- 3 May (as volunteer)

- Women's Road Cycling, Montreal, 30 May (as volunteer)

- Mountain Bike, Mont St-Anne, 25-26 July (as volunteer)

2 National Championship :

- Track and Field, Toronto, 25-28 June (as volunteer)

- Swimming, Montreal, 8-11 July (as volunteer)

Unfortunelly, Montreal lost the Swatch FIBV Beach Volleyball World Cup where I was implicated the 3 last editions.

And saddly, 2009 will be the first year since 1978 that I will not be in the stand for at least one Formula One Grand Prix (with the lost of the Canadian GP)

Of course, for me, the most important date of the year will be the one with the election by the IOC for the city for the 2016 OG.

My "sport year" 2009:

February 3rd- 15th, 2009 – Ski Alpine World Championships in Val d’Isere (France)

February 14th-22nd, 2009 – Biathlon World Championships in Pyeongchang (South Korea)

February 18th- March 2nd, 2009 – Ski Nordic World Championships in Liberec (Czechia)

March 28th, 2009 – Germany vs. Liechtenstein (World Cup Qualification)

April 1st, 2009 - Wales vs. Germany (World Cup Qualification)

May 23rd, 2009 – Last day of the Bundesliga (Federal Football League) season 2008/2009

May 30th, 2009 – Football Cup Final in Berlin

July 18th – August 2nd, 2009 – Aquatics World Championships in Rome (Italy)

August 07th- 09th, 2009 – start of the Bundesliga (Federal Football League) season 2009/2010

August 12th, 2009 – Azerbaijan [edited acc. Fasters' post] vs. Germany (World Cup Qualification)

August 15th.-23rd, 2009 – Athletics World Championships in Berlin (Germany)

September 9th, 2009 – Germany vs. Azerbaijan [edited acc. Fasters' post] (World Cup Qualification)

October 1st-9th, 2009 – IOC selects the host of the Summer Olympics 2016 in Copenhagen (Denmark)

October 10th, 2009 – Russia vs. Germany (World Cup Qualification)

October 14th, 2009 – Germany vs. Finland (World Cup Qualification)

December 4th, 2009 – Drawing of the Groups for the Football World Cup 2010 in South Africa

Pretty much agree, but add in the curling and ice hockey world championships

I'm a big tennis fan so my sporting calendar 2009 will be pretty much the same as in previous years,ie.it will revolve around the dates of the major televised tournaments especially the 4 Grand Slam events.

1.The Australian Open (January 19 - February 1...can't wait!)

2. French Open ( May 24 - June 7)

3. Wimbledon (June 22 - July 5)

4. US Open ( August 31 - September 13)

Plus the principal ATP Masters events in between.

I will also be following the progress of the World Cup 2010 football qualifiers as well as keeping an eye on Manchester United's progress in the Premiership and Championship Leagues.

Of course,I will also be keenly following the progress of the 2016 Olympic candidates right up to the big vote in Copenhagen on October 2!

Other than these things...no interest,sorry! B)

Archived