Budapest 2020

szaasz

The Budapest city council voted unanimously yesterday to bid to host the 2020 Summer Olympics. The council deems the Puskás Ferenc stadium and its surroundings as the most appropriate venue, but if that is not suitable, it will recommend North Csepel as a potential location, mayor Gábor Demszky announced.

bpestgr4.png

It is likely that Budapest will bid for the Summer Olympics in 2020.

What are your thoughts about this?

Is it good or bad? Is it possible, achievable? Is it the most suitable city in the region?

Hungary is the only country of the top 10 performing countries, that has not hosted the olympics yet. This is a very big shame.

It is likely that Budapest will bid for the Summer Olympics in 2020.

What are your thoughts about this?

Is it good or bad? Is it possible, achievable? Is it the most suitable city in the region?

Hungary is the only country of the top 10 performing countries, that has not hosted the olympics yet. This is a very big shame.

Well, with bids from both Prague AND Budapest, that would split the votes for a Central European location.

(I think I would like Budapest. A psychic once told me that I had lived a previous life in Budapest - and get this, with the same mother I have in this lifetime. There was also something very spooky about the disease that I contracted in THIS lifetime as well...)

Prague also bid for 2016 (and then got cut).

Budapest would make an interesting bid. From all accounts I've heard, it is a beautiful city. Among other questions I have, biggest is where would the sailing events take place? Hungary would be the first ever landlocked country to host the Summer Olympics.

I know three locations that could serve as either the centrum of the events with the main stadium, or either as a location where the rest of the sport facilities are being located.

The top of Csepel island:

Positives

Near the Danube.

Near the planned metro 5.

Near the Hungaria ring road.

Close to the city centre.

Negatives

Might be used for other purposes, as building flats and offices.

Cannot come up with other negative points on this one.

Csepel island

gp_07.jpg

gp_03.jpg

gp_02.jpg

gp_10.jpg

When is it going to start?

In this year. End it's end in 2016.

Does it have the organizational experience?

The task is hard but not impossible to solve. It was the twentieth time that Hungary organized the Formula-1 race at Hungaroring. As in case of the Olympic Games, great debates preceded to bring this event to Hungary, which attracts 150-200 thousand visitors – among them ten thousands of foreigners – every year („are we skilled enough?”) We obtained the right to stage this race against several other candidates who seemed to be more prepared. On the basis of twenty years’ experience the balance is positive, we solved the problem well. The five year prolongation that was signed last year shows that the critical and demanding licensees are still satisfied with the Hungarian organization.

Interestingly enough Mastercard, in its Emerging Market Index ranks Budapest third below only Shanghai and Beijing. And, according to FTSE's Global Equity Index Hungary is classed alongside Brazil and South Africa as an Advanced Emerging Market. They both seem to think Budapest is going to be a large player in world economics in the next couple of decades.

It would be quite something for a former Eastern Bloc city to host an Olympic Games and I'm not saying it will be as easy for Budapest as for the majority of cities with a realistic chance of hosting (because they do have a realistic chance), but they could do it.

Turning into quite the race in Eastern Europe, with both Prague, Budapest and Istanbul announcing intentions to bit. Assuming, and this is a BIG assuming, all three make the short list, maybe we could see something interesting in the final vote. To be honest, 2020 depends greatly on 2016 and 2018 and who wins those bids, plus the fact that we will have just, technically, been in Eastern Europe with Sochi.

baron-pierreIV:

"The bigger question is: does Hungary have the economy AND the resources to stage this? As you well know, it's the larger countries (who are always bidding) that have the advantage in winning and staging the SUmmer Games. "

According to the PWC study with an average annual GDP growth of 4% the country is able to produce the capital demand necessary for the Olympics, that are not covered by the EU funds or the private capital involved. On one hand, the organisational expenditure (the so-called OCOG costs), and on the other hand the necessary – mainly infrastructural – investment costs should be provided.

The demand for investments means the preparation of the city and the country for being able to host the Games. According to the PWC study this amounts to 4200 billion HUF as follows (billion HUF):

Development of Transport 3.182

City rehabilitation and environment protection 159

Public works development 236

Investments for tourism 199

Technology and security 87

Sport facilities 152

Olympic village 68

Media village 91

Total 4.175

This amount has decreased in the meantime as the motorway construction ran up in the previous years; by 2015 the „radial” and „ringroad” motorway construction for Hungary shall be finished. Hopefully the capital shall implement the construction of the underground line 4 and 5, as well as the enlargement of airport Ferihegy by that time

baron-pierreIV:

"The bigger question is: does Hungary have the economy AND the resources to stage this? As you well know, it's the larger countries (who are always bidding) that have the advantage in winning and staging the SUmmer Games. "

According to the PWC study with an average annual GDP growth of 4% the country is able to produce the capital demand necessary for the Olympics, that are not covered by the EU funds or the private capital involved. On one hand, the organisational expenditure (the so-called OCOG costs), and on the other hand the necessary – mainly infrastructural – investment costs should be provided.

The demand for investments means the preparation of the city and the country for being able to host the Games. According to the PWC study this amounts to 4200 billion HUF as follows (billion HUF):

Development of Transport 3.182

City rehabilitation and environment protection 159

Public works development 236

Investments for tourism 199

Technology and security 87

Sport facilities 152

Olympic village 68

Media village 91

Total 4.175

This amount has decreased in the meantime as the motorway construction ran up in the previous years; by 2015 the „radial” and „ringroad” motorway construction for Hungary shall be finished. Hopefully the capital shall implement the construction of the underground line 4 and 5, as well as the enlargement of airport Ferihegy by that time

What is the budget for CEREMONIES? That will be the tie-breaker!!

PriceWaterhouseCoopers (PWC) prepared a feasibility study in 2002 on the Budapest Olympic Games in 2012,(Brcelona-1992, Athen-2004).

I hope so the Balaton as venue for the sailing events. (aber ich mag auch Croatia)

I suppose it would become complicated for Budapest, when it doesn't use the Balaton as sailing venue, since the IOC seems to be sceptical with bids, which use a venue in a different country...

Du sprichst Deutsch? Ich war 1986 in Budapest - ich vermute mal, dass sich die Stadt sehr, sehr verändert hat!

I suppose it would become complicated for Budapest, when it doesn't use the Balaton as sailing venue, since the IOC seems to be sceptical with bids, which use a venue in a different country...

Du sprichst Deutsch? Ich war 1986 in Budapest - ich vermute mal, dass sich die Stadt sehr, sehr verändert hat!

Balaton have commanding breeze...Balaton would be good sailing venue.

Ich spreche ein bissen, aber ich verstehe nicht: verandert. Was bedeutet?

Ich spreche ein bissen, aber ich verstehe nicht: verandert. Was bedeutet?

Ich war 1986 in Budapest = I had been to Budapest in 1986

ich vermute mal, dass sich die Stadt sehr sehr verändert hat! = I suppose the city has changed very, very much (in the meantime)

"ändern" = "change"

Square Moszkva:

Still on the drawing-board.

1189577014224-00000016-moszkvater1.gif

Is the street, which leaves the pic to the right side, the "Szilágyi Erzsébet fasor"?

783px-Budapest_Metro_map.svg.png

Of course I know that much more people live in Pest than in Buda, but do you think that M2 will be extended to the M4 to reached the Buda hill better?

Archived