London Live 8 musical apartheid – give the games t

Why I escaped from Live 8 festival of privilege

When the gates to Hyde Park opened I excitedly rushed to towards the stage, only to find a large gang of security guards blocking my way and protecting the fenced off area for the corporate ‘golden circle’ ticket holders.

This was symbolic of the type of corporate elitist  Olympic games we might get in London.

Ordinary Londoners like me had no access to food or water, but Bob Gledof’s privilege friends had all the food, champagne and Pimms they could consume. In this respect the Live 8 event was symbolic of the global gap between the rich and poor  - the gap between the trade barrier protected West and Africa.

Geldof has made a lot of fuss about a few people selling a few of their tickets on ebay. But he said nothing about the £1200 corporate tickets that were being resold for £3,000

Eventually, I escaped Hyde Park and went home to watch the concert on television. Considering that all the African performs were banished to play 200 miles away in Cornwall. I was disappointed that the BBC did not transmit highlights of this event.

As with Live Aid, there were quite a few black backing singers on stage – but only a handful of black people in the audience apart form the three or four who made it into the corporate Golden Circle area.  These black singers, such as the London Community Gospel Choir, were there to make mediocre white singer such as Madonna sound better then they really were.

The only Asian musicians on stage were the few who came on during UB40’s performance.

No I am saying that at the time when the text lines were open, more or less ALL the performers on the line-up were white – no R&B, REGGAE or HIP HOP performers

Later on Snoop Dog  and Ms Dynamite were added.

I am a teacher at a secondary school 40 minutes away from Hyde park. 60% of the pupils are black. They took a vote at the school council to boycott Live 8 as a way of protesting against what one of them describes as a ‘it will be all white on the night event.”

Why I escaped from Live 8 festival of privilege

When the gates to Hyde Park opened I excitedly rushed to towards the stage, only to find a large gang of security guards blocking my way and protecting the fenced off area for the corporate ‘golden circle’ ticket holders.

This was symbolic of the type of corporate elitist  Olympic games we might get in London.

Ordinary Londoners like me had no access to food or water, but Bob Gledof’s privilege friends had all the food, champagne and Pimms they could consume. In this respect the Live 8 event was symbolic of the global gap between the rich and poor  - the gap between the trade barrier protected West and Africa.

Geldof has made a lot of fuss about a few people selling a few of their tickets on ebay. But he said nothing about the £1200 corporate tickets that were being resold for £3,000

Eventually, I escaped Hyde Park and went home to watch the concert on television. Considering that all the African performs were banished to play 200 miles away in Cornwall. I was disappointed that the BBC did not transmit highlights of this event.

As with Live Aid, there were quite a few black backing singers on stage – but only a handful of black people in the audience apart form the three or four who made it into the corporate Golden Circle area.  These black singers, such as the London Community Gospel Choir, were there to make mediocre white singer such as Madonna sound better then they really were.

The only Asian musicians on stage were the few who came on during UB40’s performance.

Well with all due respect Pam....London and the Uk are still predominantly white....and it wasn't the MOBO awards afterall. The object was to attract a large concert and TV audience....the acts represented the preferred music of the majority. I accept that they could have fetaured more mainstraem black acts, but there was probably a host of reasons why they weren't there including availability. The reasons why the VIPs are kept spearate is because of security as much as anything else.

Do you really think live 8 was a racisit event with bad intentions? I can tell you one thing....todays generations of British youth and 30-somethings, regardless of colour, generally have a greater awareness of African and global issues because of Live Aid/Band Aid/"I ran the World" and such things as comic relief, than their counter parts in other countries.

All that people are doing is trying to put pressure on the governments of the world.....if you want to distract from this message by making your own points then I think you are doing African a dis-service.  ??? Put your hang ups about percieved racism in the Uk aside for this message to get across is my advice to you....take that how you will.

Also people in the Golden VIP circle were also competition winners, everyday folk like me and you, who just happened to get lucky by winning various competitions for Golden VIP Tickets.

I agree though, the VIP Circle was a massive failure on Live8, it just didn't look good, especially at the start, when only half of the circle was filled, holding back the masses.

BUT THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE LONDON'S 2012 OLYMPIC GAMES BID.

Your not another troll are you???  :shocked:

Archived