Madrid 2016 Venues

Rafa

Either they redesign it to a normal 20,000-seat arena, or Madrid will not be awarded the Olympics.

Their shots aren't good either way.

Nice venues. I'd like to see Madrid host one day. But not before France, Germany, and others in Europe get a chance. Barcelona still feels too recent.

Told you the Gymnastics venue looked ugly. Its shape divides the upper seating sections. Either they redesign it to a normal 20,000-seat arena, or Madrid will not be awarded the Olympics. What does Mo think of the design of the Gymnastics venue?

I've seen it before. Paris 2008 and perhaps even a similar concept with Lille 2004.

The priority must be to ensure the best sightlines for each and every spectator and broadcasters. I'm not sure the design of the venue achieves that.

I would have appreciated the concept more if the "fingers" were temporary.

It seems very conceptual

Barcelona still feels too recent.

Yes, Barcelona is recent but less than Atlanta, at least.

The gymnastics venue is strange but they all look really nice here. I love the hockey field and the archery field too. The pool is also great as well as the stadium. And the velodrome looked ugly at first but it isn't that bad - the "roof" is very original!

You can hardly compare the US and Spain. Every 20 years for a country with several large cities capable of hosting vs once in a generation for a major European country with maybe two cities capable of hosting seems most reasonable to me.

Having said tha, Madrid is the only persistant European bidder at the moment, so all is fair in love and war. They're putting their money where their mouth is and the other Europeans can't complain it's "too soon for Spain" if you do win.

I agree! What I can't stand is people saying Madrid shouldn't host 2016 Olympics just because Spain held the Olympics in 1992 and the USA (which is a country, like Spain) must host them because the last Games they had were in 1996, and 20 years (5 Olympiads) is a lot of time.

At least 5 Olympiads are better than 3: LA 1984 (USA), Seoul 1988 (S. Korea), Barcelona 1992 (Spain) and Atlanta 1996 (the USA again :blink:).

But I don't mind if Chicago wins. In fact, I do think they will win, even though they don't have the best project (as the IOC EB though in June giving Chicago a score of 7).

I agree! What I can't stand is people saying Madrid shouldn't host 2016 Olympics just because Spain held the Olympics in 1992 and the USA (which is a country, like Spain) must host them because the last Games they had were in 1996, and 20 years (5 Olympiads) is a lot of time.

You should know that I'm not rooting for Chicago at the moment. Or any of the other 2016 candidate cities for that matter.

But I do think that the IOC is more willing to go back to the US than it is about going back to Spain. The bottom line will do that to an organization.

But I do think that the IOC is more willing to go back to the US than it is about going back to Spain.

Yes, that's true! ;)

Well, today is Epiphany, so the three wise men have brought us some gifts :lol: but yesterday there was a parade on every place in Spain and once it finished in Madrid, wise men Melchior gave a speech and said that if we all wish it from the very bottom of our hearts the city will be awarded the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games on October 2nd!! :D

Yup, this is a crap Gymnastics venue. It's stupidly designed basically in the shape of the "hand" bid logo, and for those spectators stuck sitting way up in the "fingers", you get tunnel vision down to the floor and you are cut off from the other spectators. Hmmm where did I hear that before? Oh yeah, London's "Water Cave".

Which has better sightlines than Sydney's aquatics centre; I never heard any complaints about that venue but I guess internet whingers weren't around when they were building their venues.

So it's slightly less crappy than Sydney's was. One is crappy, the other is crappier. They are both still crap. Look, LOCOCG had good intentions where that went horribly awry when they very stupidly chose Zaha Hadid to design it and they very ineptly mis-measured the sight for the center. I mean, who was responsible for THAT gaffe??? Call me a "whinger" but I believe in what I say. I know these are your country's games and they are in basically your home town, and you want then to be great and you are going to be defensive about them when someone like me comes straight out and says "this is crap", but hey, that's the way it is.

It's not ideal, but it's certainly not crap. It will be a lot better than you're making out. If it was as bad as you continually make out, don't you think we'd have heard the IOC or indeed FINA say something?

I think they think of the athletes and the competition mainly. The pool itself will be fine for the competition and athletes. Some of the spectators though are going to be a bit shafted in experience. What I don't get is you look at all the past Aquatics Centers of recent memory, and they all had open sight-lines for the spectators. Beijing, Athens, Atlanta, Barcelona, Seoul (though info on the Seoul venue and good images are hard to come by) and L.A. Only Sydney and London have both come up with these totally stupid angular sloping tunnel vision "wings" for theirs. WHY???? I'd rather sit in Athens' or L.A.'s open air venues with no roof than indoors in some suffocating (if I had to sit high up) "wing".

You need to seat an extra 15,000 people for 10 days. Thats it.

The Zaha roof shape and height is not ideal but even so, provides better sightlines than in Sydney.

The wings are crap, the aquatic centre design is just fine.

Archived