Qatar 2022

arwebb

42 minutes ago, stryker said:

As for the IOC, they now have more than enough evidence to quickly dismiss a likely Doha bid for 2036. Sure they can have the standard "dialogue" to make it seem like they are entertaining the idea, but then can quickly deep six them later.

Well, if it's going to be a sh!t show, then no doubt (unless they're glutton for punishment, that is), regardless of many "close links" Bach has to Qatar. Not to mention that little IOC mandate that still on their books about the Summer Olympics being staged only between July 15th-Aug. 31st.

As far as this whole thing goes, I keep forgetting that it's even going to start tomorrow. If it weren't for these boards, & the little commercial here & there sometimes on TV, not too many would even know that it's going to be on. 

50 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

Ooops…

…taken residence in Sochi or Beijing and exposed his dependency like Infantino did by moving to Qatar.

I mean, when no one wants to host your event anymore because everyone has realized at this point how pointless and costly it is...beggars can't be choosers.

4 minutes ago, FYI said:

Well, if it's going to be a sh!t show, then no doubt (unless they're glutton for punishment, that is), regardless of many "close links" Bach has to Qatar. Not to mention that little IOC mandate that still on their books about the Summer Olympics being staged only between July 15th-Aug. 31st.

As far as this whole thing goes, I keep forgetting that it's even going to start tomorrow. If it weren't for these boards, & the little commercial here & there sometimes on TV, not too many would even know that it's going to be on. 

I'll watch it but only because I want Ecuador to humilliate Qatar (doubt it will happen but one man can dream)

44 minutes ago, Bear said:

if anyone missed my previous post on this thread...

the opening ceremony is set to acknowledge the various controversies surrounding this edition... it's going to be a f**king disaster

Marco Balich should be prevented from directing more Olympic ceremonies after selling himself so badly like that.

I remember that dark, cold night that a well connected Australian here posted that Russia and Qatar had secured the hosting rights. You couldn't really believe it, but you knew it to be true. And here we are almost 12 years on and the disaster that awaits is going to be astonishing.

6 hours ago, Faster said:

I remember that dark, cold night that a well connected Australian here posted that Russia and Qatar had secured the hosting rights. You couldn't really believe it, but you knew it to be true. And here we are almost 12 years on and the disaster that awaits is going to be astonishing.

Russia '18 wasn't a disaster...It was pretty good.

The "disaster" starts in a few hours time...

That fan zone looks like a giant detention centre and got a feeling it's going to be a Fyre Festival 2.0! 

1 hour ago, Alexjc said:

Russia '18 wasn't a disaster...It was pretty good.

It was a disaster of course, as it was a fine propaganda tool for Putin, and while the 2014 invasion happened after Russia got the WC, already in 2010 the Sochi megalomania was very obvious and handing yet another, even bigger event to them was downright ludicrous.

Just because there were no heat and beer dramas, it doesn’t mean it was “pretty good”.

In the 2000s, Russia was still - sorta - behaving itself and it’s winning hostings seemed reasonable enough at the time. Even desirable.

Hindsight, though, shows that Russia’s big events of the 2010s were indeed disastrous in feeding Putin’s megalomania, normalising his growing authoritarianism and emboldening him in his “screw you” approach to the wider world.

Qatar, however, was never a reasonable idea. It reeked so much from the moment it was named that even Blatter - who was never known for having any sense of shame - instantly tried to distance himself and wash his hands of it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

In the 2000s, Russia was still - sorta - behaving itself and it’s winning hostings seemed reasonable enough at the time. Even desirable.

Hindsight, though, shows that Russia’s big events of the 2010s were indeed disastrous in feeding Putin’s megalomania, normalising his growing authoritarianism and emboldening him in his “screw you” approach to the wider world.

Qatar, however, was never a reasonable idea. It reeked so much from the moment it was named that even Blatter - who was never known for having any sense of shame - instantly tried to distance himself and wash his hands of it. 

I mean the first true nonsense happened in 2008. But then how you view the Chechnyan wars and Russia's propensity to start or enflame conflicts in former republics followed by freezes (still currently happening in Moldova, Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan). Also Russia has given blank cheques to the stans to keep their communist era leaderships intake. Until Ukraine started to go bad. 

• Like 1

Marco Balich should never be allowed to direct another Ceremony ever again after this stupid shitshow.

The little propaganda video near the end with the former Emir playing football and leaving his autograph was one of the most cringesome stuff i've seen this year.