That is why the US does not use public monies in its Olympic bids -- so there is no backtracking accounting & attempts to collect, like this. After all the expenses and legal fees are taken out -- and Australia will NOT get the full amount back, I can assure you that, I really wonder dollar-to-cents, what is recovered. .

I guess that is where our countries differ though - Australians are *generally* happier than Americans at when it comes to having a higher tax rate for the sake of major civic projects like this being publicly funded - although our Conservatives that are now in Government are doing their best to cause a cultural shift toward American style fiscal restraint.

That aside-the private stakeholders behind the US2022 bid should probably be considering taking aim at FIFA too.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've also made it out of the knock-out round more recently.

Tony if I see you say England should be given the hosting rights one more time I will throw my computer. This is really getting old pal. There's nothing wrong with Russia hosting in 2018 and 2022 shou

Someone needs to sue FIFA over this mess. Rivals bidders, European leagues and clubs, TV networks, sponsors, players...all are being mucked about because of FIFA's inability to think properly. The bi

I guess that is where our countries differ though - Australians are *generally* happier than Americans at when it comes to having a higher tax rate for the sake of major civic projects like this being publicly funded - although our Conservatives that are now in Government are doing their best to cause a cultural shift toward American style fiscal restraint.

That aside-the private stakeholders behind the US2022 bid should probably be considering taking aim at FIFA too.

It's not so much as a "happier" factor or what. It is just the USOC's philosophy that "sports" are NOT for everyone in society. As such, it does not feel right in using public monies for an optional matter; i.e., it's taking money from social services, schools, feeding the hungry, etc.,for something so trivial as "sports." And in a case like this, if the $$ cannot be recovered; then none of those social services were denied their rightful share of public monies. And am not laying this on anyone as this is the right way to do it -- no. It's just the way the USA does things. And in a way, it just seems right.

Good luck to the losing countries if they seek to recover lost 2022 bid monies. They knew going in it was a 1-5 shot. And FIFA, I am sure, has all those disclaimers and caveats in the contracts.

Didn't Lowy foot a big part of the bill for 2022 himself?

Not sure about that. But since he is the co founder of the Westfield chain...

Though I suppose why they weren't a sponsor was simply due to the potential conflict of interest.

It's not so much as a "happier" factor or what. It is just the USOC's philosophy that "sports" are NOT for everyone in society. As such, it does not feel right in using public monies for an optional matter; i.e., it's taking money from social services, schools, feeding the hungry, etc.,for something so trivial as "sports." And in a case like this, if the $$ cannot be recovered; then none of those social services were denied their rightful share of public monies. And am not laying this on anyone as this is the right way to do it -- no. It's just the way the USA does things. And in a way, it just seems right.

Good luck to the losing countries if they seek to recover lost 2022 bid monies. They knew going in it was a 1-5 shot. And FIFA, I am sure, has all those disclaimers and caveats in the contracts.

On a national level that's true. On a city/state level, not so much. Plenty of cities have put up taxpayer money to build publicly funded stadiums and who knows where else that money might have gone to.

That said though, I think the difference between the United States and say, Australia or Canada, is that if the US was to land an Olympics, it might be perceived as a regional event rather than a national event. Which is to say, with an Atlanta Olympics or a Salt Lake Olympics, is that something that benefits the whole nation or just that region? Contrast that with a Sydney Olympics or a Vancouver Olympics where (and maybe I'm wrong about this), that's felt more across the entire nation. So it makes more sense for the federal government to contribute as opposed to hear where it's more on state and local government to support the effort.

So it makes more sense for the federal government to contribute as opposed to hear where it's more on state and local government to support the effort.

Well, ultimately, fed money comes in for security items and/or if say, a national highway is involved and designated as such. But I was focusing more on the seed money for lost (or successful) bids as Australia may seem to be acting on per Runnings.

Plenty of cities have put up taxpayer money to build publicly funded stadiums and who knows where else that money might have gone to.

Mainly in the professional sports leagues -- and because they have such strong lobbies. The USOC does not initiate nor partake of such funding sources. Even if there are some int'l games in the US, the USOC does not partake from sales of philatelic or mint collectors' items which efforts are run by gov't agencies. The USOC has to raise funds entirely on its own efforts. The USOC cannot even partake of any lottery money. It has to be entirely by choice.

One of the 1984 and 1996 early fund-raising efforts was to offer a special Olympic license plate issued by the CA and Georgia DMVs. And again, it was just one of many license plate choices. If you picked an Olympic 'vanity' license plate; then you knew and wanted to support those Olympic efforts via the higher registration fee. It was entirely the citizen's choice.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

That is why the US does not use public monies in its Olympic bids -- so there is no backtracking accounting & attempts to collect, like this. After all the expenses and legal fees are taken out -- and Australia will NOT get the full amount back, I can assure you that, I really wonder dollar-to-cents, what is recovered. .

I doubt anything is recovered. Or if it is it's a very minor amount that wasn't worth the trouble.

This is about anger and a sense of injustice -- not money.

I doubt anything is recovered. Or if it is it's a very minor amount that wasn't worth the trouble.

This is about anger and a sense of injustice -- not money.

That's my read on it as well. Sine we have some Aussies here, they can speak more directly to it, but what Australia was bidding for was a summer World Cup (northern hemisphere summer, that is). That Qatar won the bid for a summer World Cup based in the promise of air conditioned stadiums and is now going to hold it in the fall or winter.. that's what I gather has them upset. Much like Doha can ask for permission to bid for an Olympics not held during the usual timeframe, it probably would have changed the game for Australia if they could have bid for a different timeframe like Qatar got themselves after they won. Who knows if Australia can recover anything, but probably moreso than the United States, they have a legitimate gripe with FIFA

Qatar has contributed absolutely nothing to the Footballing World, well except for helping finances of Blatter, if you can call that contributing for Football.

In fact you can't directly blame Blatter because Qatar didn't help his cause. On the contrary, his biggest adversary at the time of voting was Mohamed bin Hammam, a Qatari and the president of the AFC. Blatter is thought to have supported USA for 2022. Of course he is indirectly responsible of it all due to making FIFA the mess it is. Reports from FIFA have said that Blatter has been enraged with some Exco members because of their voting for Qatar.

In fact you can't directly blame Blatter because Qatar didn't help his cause. On the contrary, his biggest adversary at the time of voting was Mohamed bin Hammam, a Qatari and the president of the AFC. Blatter is thought to have supported USA for 2022. Of course he is indirectly responsible of it all due to making FIFA the mess it is. Reports from FIFA have said that Blatter has been enraged with some Exco members because of their voting for Qatar.

Bottom line is, Qatar is corrupt, Fifa is corrupt, the whole Bidding Process was corrupt. Fifa is messed up, when Valcke goes and blurts out to the Media that 2022 deffiently won't be played in Summer, then the rest of Fifa say there is no agreement yet. So lack of communication to add to Fifa's problems.

Qater WC maybe in November 2022... At least it doesn't interfer with Winter Olympics, but Champions League and Club World Cup will have some issues. Still, I think it's the only logical time in the calendar.

Qater WC maybe in November 2022... At least it doesn't interfer with Winter Olympics, but Champions League and Club World Cup will have some issues. Still, I think it's the only logical time in the calendar.

The Logical step would be that Qatar should never of got the World Cup.

The Logical step would be that Qatar should never of got the World Cup.

Sorry, this is bugging me right now and I'm not normally a grammar nerd in that regard, but it's "should have," not "should of." I know when most people say it, it sounds like should of, but that's incorrect. But I digress..

Yea, Qatar never should have gotten the World Cup, but we're past that now. They have it and they're going to host it unless FIFA makes a bad political move and decides to take it away from them. That would be a worse move than awarding it to them in the first place.

Sorry, this is bugging me right now and I'm not normally a grammar nerd in that regard, but it's "should have," not "should of." I know when most people say it, it sounds like should of, but that's incorrect. But I digress..

Yea, Qatar never should have gotten the World Cup, but we're past that now. They have it and they're going to host it unless FIFA makes a bad political move and decides to take it away from them. That would be a worse move than awarding it to them in the first place.

Ok Grammer fair enough. I am English, we sometimes write differently. 8 Years until 2022 World Cup. Qatar could easily be stripped of the World Cup. It isn't like it's 2 Weeks away. It's 8 Years.

:rolleyes: Yeah... like "brang;"...like maybe you're NOT English??? Such a liar.

There are 6 or 7 other Brits on here...and yours is the MOST "un-English" English of them all. I wonder why??? :rolleyes:

I am English. Most people here in England don't say sentences perfectly. Plus I type fast. I wouldn't lie about age or where I am from. I'm English and proud.

I am English. Most people here in England don't say sentences perfectly. Plus I type fast. I wouldn't lie about age or where I am from. I'm English and proud.

Ok Grammer fair enough. I am English, we sometimes write differently. 8 Years until 2022 World Cup. Qatar could easily be stripped of the World Cup. It isn't like it's 2 Weeks away. It's 8 Years.

Has nothing to do with where you're from.. what you're writing is improper English whether you're from the United States or England or anywhere else. You're still in school, you should have a better appreciation for these things.

As for the World Cup.. how could Qatar easily be stripped of the World Cup? FIFA gave them that World Cup. So too can FIFA take it away. But for all of the mess that has followed from that decision, do you really see FIFA reversing course and admitting what they did was a mistake? What has changed in the 3+ years since the announcement what would lead them to do that, let alone deal with the political fallout that would come from it? Sure, they COULD strip Qatar of the World Cup, but that's not a compelling enough argument for them to actually do it.

Rob, Davey, Adrian, let's see.. who else? Didya hear that? U guys don't type/write fast enough according to Jam...errrrr, Tony Edwards!! :lol:

Grow up. You don't know me, I will ignore you now. Your talking to yourself now.

Grow up. You don't know me, I will ignore you now. Your talking to yourself now.

You are :rolleyes:

Seriously Tony, I'm not doing that to be a dick, but especially as an American who thinks of the British as more refined and sophisticated than we are, I would like to think someone in your position knows the difference between "your" and "you're"

• Like 1

You are :rolleyes:

Seriously Tony, I'm not doing that to be a dick, but especially as an American who thinks of the British as more refined and sophisticated than we are, I would like to think someone in your position knows the difference between "your" and "you're"

I know the difference. It's quick writing, not an exam.