Qatar 2022

arwebb

The Winter IFS won't be happy with that timing either.

That's really not so. The Winter athletes are just starting their competitive season then. The Winter spots don't really kick into high gear anyway until the New Year -- and the sponsors for the winter sports don't compete with the summer football sponsors.

Intoronto is right:

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1605608/winter-sports-see-threat-november-2022-world-cup?cc=5739

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24800946

Edited by Rob.

That's really not so. The Winter athletes are just starting their competitive season then. The Winter spots don't really kick into high gear anyway until the New Year -- and the sponsors for the winter sports don't compete with the summer football sponsors.

For the US market, there'll be competition with US football games...but tough break. It'll only be the Team USA games that'll provide some conflict for the fans. They can always VCR one or the other.

Well, let's just say FIFA would be wise to not put Team USA games on Saturday or Sundays.

Well, let's just say FIFA would be wise to not put Team USA games on Saturday or Sundays.

That'll kinda be hard to do considering there will be at least 31 other teams...and it will be matched and assigned randomly. So no one country, save the host, can have special accommodations made for them in terms of scheduling.

Well, the Winter feds are yapping right now...but #1, come fall 2022, they'll just be coming off an Olympic season so there will be a great changing of the guard. #2 - I reckon the IOC will lean on them especially if FIFA will steer clear of the WOG schedule a good 4-5 months back and forth of the traditional WOG period. Quid pro quo. Someone's gotta give...and it won't be the TWO biggest sports organizations.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

They won't be able to fight FIFA, and they'll probably have to lie down and take it. But I was responding to your questioning of intoronto when he said they'd be unhappy about any move. The fact is they ARE unhappy, but they've probably not got much say in how all this pans out.

• Like 1

The winter sports federations need to pick their battles here. If the IOC and FIFA have to choose between January/February and November/December, which of those 2 sucks less. That's what this is going to come down to.. not what makes everyone the happiest but the schedule that causes the last amount of disruption to everyone's schedules and still serves the original purpose of avoiding the heat in Qatar. At the end of all this, someone is going to wind up getting screwed

The winter sports federations need to pick their battles here. If the IOC and FIFA have to choose between January/February and November/December, which of those 2 sucks less. That's what this is going to come down to.. not what makes everyone the happiest but the schedule that causes the last amount of disruption to everyone's schedules and still serves the original purpose of avoiding the heat in Qatar. At the end of all this, someone is going to wind up getting screwed

November/December would affect potential sponsorship dollars for winter IFS.

Not really. Nov-Dec marketing campaigns (at least in the US) are geared towards the holiday gift-buying season. The World Series has ended and while the football games are steady fare thru the Holidays, there is room to sneak in a few WC matches there. Heavy winter sports marketing doesn't really begin until after the Holidays when you have the push towards the Super Bowl, the Oscars, some winter world championships in Feb and March, and March Madness. Besides, WC sponsors (except for Coke, McDonalds and VISA) aren't the same as for the winter sports. There'll be enuf sponsors for everyone around.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Not really. Nov-Dec marketing campaigns (at least in the US) are geared towards the holiday gift-buying season. The World Series has ended and while the football games are steady fare thru the Holidays, there is room to sneak in a few WC matches there. Heavy winter sports marketing doesn't really begin until after the Holidays when you have the push towards the Super Bowl, the Oscars, some winter world championships in Feb and March, and March Madness. Besides, WC sponsors (except for Coke, McDonalds and VISA) aren't the same as for the winter sports. There'll be enuf sponsors for everyone around.

It would. The IFS share sponsors and I don't think the IFS would choose to sponsor two events at the same time :rolleyes:

None of this makes sense. Stick with the ceremonies.

• Like 3

Yeah, Baron reading what you said again, it is completely unrelated to intoronto's argument. Last time I checked, the Super Bowl, college basketball and the Oscars aren't "winter sports".

They aren't...but they happen in the US winter season; are the PRIME marketing vehicles for the BIG advertising dollars -- thus consume most of the advtg $$ for the traditional "winter" period telecasts.

None of this makes sense. Stick with the ceremonies.

Oh please. And what is you bkgd??

Edited by baron-pierreIV

They aren't...but they happen in the US winter season; are the PRIME marketing vehicles for the BIG advertising dollars -- thus consume most of the advtg $$ for the traditional "winter" period telecasts.

Baron, you have to remember this isn't a US television issue. This is an issue involving the winter sport federations and their desire to not have half of their season swamped by a large event.

Baron, you have to remember this isn't a US television issue. This is an issue involving the winter sport federations and their desire to not have half of their season swamped by a large event.

But all these federations -- esp the mother ships IOC and FIFA whose lifeblood is the TV/sponsor revenues from the US. So you really have to start your calculations from there. Take my word for it, they'll all adjust. The IOC, NBC (and FIFA) call the shots. No money; no honey. ;)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

But all these federations -- esp the mother ships IOC and FIFA whose lifeblood is the TV/sponsor revenues from the US. So you really have to start your calculations from there. Take my word for it, they'll all adjust. The IOC, NBC (and FIFA) call the shots. No money; no honey. ;)

baron.. I'm sorry, but they're right, this doesn't make much sense at all. Aside from figure skating and obviously hockey, name 1 Winter Olympic sport that Americans pay much attention to outside of the Olympics? Especially if you're talking the year after a Winter Olympics, most people in this country will barely acknowledge that the sports of alpine skiing and bobsleigh and speed skating are being contested anywhere in the world save for a couple of snippets of TV coverage. So again, other than figure skating and hockey, none of those sports get any serious advertising dollars from the United States outside of the Olympics. So if we're talking about these federations in the context of the Olympics, then yes, the World Cup needs to not trample on the Olympics, less they lose their advertising dollars. But the US end of things with regard to them if the World Cup is in November/December is extremely minimal. U.S. television dollars paid to the IOC would not be affected by that in the least.

I'm sure they would, but to Rob's point, they're not going to be able to please everyone. The domestic football leagues will have the biggest say in this. The IOC is powerful enough to convince FIFA to avoid February (it's in FIFA's best interests to do that anyway), but I don't think the sport federations have that same power is that's no good for the football associations.

There's a lot of organizations that will have an opinion on this. The IOC can rally together their federations and say they're threatened by a November/December World Cup, but if that's the most acceptable solution for everyone else involved, that's what it's going to have to be, and the IOC will probably consider it at least a small victory FIFA avoided February.

. But the US end of things with regard to them if the World Cup is in November/December is extremely minimal. U.S. television dollars paid to the IOC would not be affected by that in the least.

OK, WOG 2022 plays Feb 2022; Qatar 2022 plays Nov-Dec '22. I really don't see a big fight over the sponsors going into fall 2022. The heavy spending would've been done over the 2022 WOGs. Going into the 2022-23 winter season -- as you said:

Aside from figure skating and obviously hockey, name 1 Winter Olympic sport that Americans pay much attention to outside of the Olympics? Especially if you're talking the year after a Winter Olympics, most people in this country will barely acknowledge that the sports of alpine skiing and bobsleigh and speed skating are being contested anywhere in the world save for a couple of snippets of TV coverage.
This damned QUOTE function is stuck!!!
So I don't really see a major clash of sponsorships. And the TOP companies (VISA, Coke, MacDonald's) will have enough budget to buy into their regular, non-Olympic-year time PLUS a little something for World Cup sponsorships which they would've bought for if they have been broadcast earlier in the 2022 summer. So, where's the beef?
Edited by baron-pierreIV

Definte "some solid coverage" In a non-Olympic year, aside from the occasional (and irregularly scheduled) CBS Sports Spectacular and the like, other than what gets shown on Universal Sports, there's not much to speak of.

X Games, Winter Dew Tour, North American World Cup events.

In fact, one of the Dew Tour events this year will serve as an official qualifier for Sochi.

'The system in Qatar is killing me. Please speak up'

In an emotional letter to Zinedine Zidane and Pep Guardiola, the French player pleads with football legends to help him leave the country as the authorities continue to hold him against his will.

Mr Zidane and Mr Guardiola,

My name is Zahir Belounis and I am a French professional footballer.

After a legal dispute with my club, I am being prevented from returning home to France.

I haven't seen my family in France since June 2012 because my employer refuses to give me the exit visa needed to leave the country. This is a special document that only exists in this country and Saudi Arabia.

I am not alone in this predicament. Many workers who are to build the stadiums for the 2022 World Cup risk finding themselves in the same situation as me.

When someone suggested that I write to you, I figured that you have been great footballers but also great men so I would appeal to you to use your renown to intervene, or try to intervene, to end the impasse.

I know that you have many demands for your time but I ask you to please help me. Please understand that I am a victim.

I know that you served as ambassadors for Qatar's 2022 World Cup bid. You did this with good intentions but the reality is that if Qatar does not scrap its "exit visa" system, then there will be hundreds, maybe thousands, of people trapped here.

Before these problems I was a happy man in Doha. My two daughters were born here and I know that many Qataris are working hard to make this an unforgettable World Cup and I am sure that it will be! The Middle East deserves to host this global event because it is a unique way to bring people together to enjoy a fraternal celebration between nations. On the other hand, and in spite of all the good things that I could say about this country that has a sincere desire to do great things, I have been living a nightmare for several months because of the kafala system. This system is slowly killing me and many other people risk suffering in the same way. I am well placed to speak about it because I am completely bound up in it, so I take this opportunity to demand change for a better world …

I ask you to use your influence as football ambassadors to talk about what is happening to me and what is happening to many other young men here in Qatar. People are being kept far from their countries because of the exit visa system. This system should not exist and we need people like you, who love sport and its [good] image, to make our voices heard.

You know what it is like to have children. Imagine what I am going through every day in a house that is half-empty – because when they promised me that they would give me my exit visa, I sold my furniture – and when I see the look in my daughters' eyes, I feel ashamed, I feel disgusted with myself for inflicting such conditions on them.

I speak to you as fathers and as former footballers and I ask you, please speak up and do what you can to help me get home.

Kind regards,
Zahir Belounis

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/14/zahir-belounis-letter-zinedine-zidane-pep-guardiola-qatar

More @ http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/14/zahir-belounis-letter-pep-guardiola-zinedine-zidane-qatar-trapped

Zidane once said unwilling to Qatar 2022 but afterwards he stated very positive about Qatar.Pep played in Qatari league at the end of his career,but I'm afraid he would not say anything about this 'cause he's currently a coach of Bayern.These 2 persons are not enough for Zahir. I'd like to advise him to do the same to Pele and Beckham(he's a friend of Aunn San Suu Kyi),also to some football authorities in England.