• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We've also made it out of the knock-out round more recently.

Tony if I see you say England should be given the hosting rights one more time I will throw my computer. This is really getting old pal. There's nothing wrong with Russia hosting in 2018 and 2022 shou

Someone needs to sue FIFA over this mess. Rivals bidders, European leagues and clubs, TV networks, sponsors, players...all are being mucked about because of FIFA's inability to think properly. The bi

awesome article, baron.

In 2010, Kuwait banned the screening of a controversial Egyptian film, saying that it promoted a culture of debauchery, Gulfnews.com reported.

The movie was made in 2009 and addressed lifestyles centering on drug use by young people, and lesbianism, a taboo subject in Arab cinema and society.

A member of the censorship board said that some of the scenes were “too hot” and that the lesbianism theme was “too bold.” The member stressed that the scenario was very weak and failed to address the controversial issues properly.

that is some genius stunt marketing, there, trolling the kuwaiti censors for the predictable outraged pull quote. now everyone wants to see that movie. i literally can't google fast enough. the gulf news says:

In the film [bedoon Rakaba], the main character, Ahmad Fahmy, is a drug addict and an alcoholic who inherits a colossal fortune when his father dies. Actress Ola Ghanem plays the role of a lesbian who seeks to lure young girls into her way of life.

hot, hot...

Commenting on the furore caused by the film upon its release in Egypt, [lead lesbian] Ola said that art had the responsibility to examine homosexuality trends and behaviour and to discuss the reasons and facts for their occurrence.

However, the film sought only to convey the idea of same sex relationships and purposely omitted scenes of an intimate nature, she said.

oh boo.

Edited by krow

World Cup 2022: senior Fifa official says handing Qatar summer finals was a 'mistake' and 'very risky'

By Paul Hayward6:50PM BST 08 Oct 2013
Qatar won the 2022 World Cup bidding race before Fifa considered the inspection reports, according to the leader of the team who wrote the summaries. Harold Mayne-Nicholls, the former Fifa official, described the 2022 decision “a mistake” and called for a new voting process to stop executive committee members agreeing “deals”.
Mayne-Nicholls will tell a Leaders in Sport conference in London on Wednesday that Fifa must put politics aside and obey the recommendations of its task force when deciding an autumn/winter slot for Qatar 2022. His view that Fifa effectively ignored his team’s report adds weight to the suspicion that money and power counted for more than practicalities.
“When we made a report, they had a look at it, but the decision was taken before,” said Mayne-Nicholls, who now runs a charitable sporting foundation called Ganamos Todos in his native Chile. “Or the word was given: 'I gave you my word that I will vote for you,’ even when the report was not on the table. We need to change the system of how we elect who will be hosting the World Cup. We cannot keep this system. It has too many imperfections, for the legacy of the World Cup, and for Fifa.”
Speaking to The Telegraph, Mayne-Nicholls called for an “untouchable” expert commission to produce a ranking, with a three-nation shortlist, which would be taken to the Fifa ­congress, on the basis of one country, one vote. “We do it in a very short time, so it will be really difficult to concentrate the power of the votes.”
Almost three years into the wrangling over whether Qatar 2022 will be moved from summer to winter, the lead inspector insisted there was no evidence of corruption, but agreed that Fifa ignored his evidence.
“Unless they find something immoral or illegal I don’t think Qatar will lose the chance to stage the World Cup,” he said. “They got it. That’s democracy. But we need to work on the future. If not, we will be in a loop, making the same mistakes. Whatever they decide must be decided by the Exco [Fifa executive committee], but I would expect this time they will follow the proposals [of Fifa’s task force]. If not we go from one mistake to another. That will be even worse.”
How exactly Qatar won the 2022 bidding race remained unexplained. Mayne-Nicholls said: “Let’s say commerce, the power of money. They were very ambitious. They pushed hard. Qatar also wanted the Olympics, and bid for them, but the technicians said no.
“The decision was taken in December 2010. We are almost three years from then. There’s not a single way to prove that something anti-ethical was done. The football family, the media, are unable to prove things were not done in the right way. In my case, I went there, I wrote the report book, and nobody offered me anything, in any of the bids. So how can I say, yes, this was a problem?”
Choosing a new slot in the calendar was, he said, fraught with problems: “You have to delete July. From what I’ve been hearing, we have four chances. One is April, but if we do it in April all the leagues must be ­finished by March and will not be seen again until August. That would be chaotic for the football family. The second one I’ve heard is to do it in October/November. That’s OK, it’s not so warm as June and July, but you will have conflicts with all the club competitions all over the world. They are all playing, and we must stop them all, or it’s not fair.
“The third one is January/February. That’s OK, it’s cool there. It’s 20-25 degrees, cool enough to play ­football. But then you have problems with the three biggest leagues: Spain, Italy and the Premier League, because you don’t have breaks at that time. You have breaks in Germany, France and Russia, but not here. Here in England, you have Boxing Day and New Year’s Day games: huge icons.
“How about the middle of May to the middle of June? We would have to investigate the weather conditions then. There is not a perfect solution for this.”
Mayne-Nicholls could not explain how England’s 2018 bid failed so ­miserably: “You can always lose, but what I cannot understand is that you got two votes in the first round. Why two votes when the bid presentation was, if not No  1, very close to No 1? It’s only political, it’s not commercial, or communications, or legal, or the ­government, or the football. But you were not able to convince them.”
Russia 2018 will be a success, he insisted: “Russia is a different story [to Qatar]. They have a big cultural basis, very strong. It’s a country you can visit. They don’t have this weather. They have a football tradition. They have something to show to the world. I’m not saying they were the perfect hosts, but I don’t think Russia will be a problem, and they are organising this with Sochi [the Winter Olympics], which will give them major practice for the World Cup.”
He believed Fifa will survive one World Cup fiasco, but not a second: “It’s created a bad image for the World Cup, but we have 2018 and we will have 2026. We will lose credibility, but the players will show the [Fifa] board members, the press and the politicians, the right way to do things, in the game itself. They will prepare themselves and play. It doesn’t matter if they have to do it on the moon. As we say in Spanish, it’s for the glory.”

Will Qatar have this in place in time for 2022?

http://rt.com/news/homosexuals-kuwait-banned-gays-887/

LOL!!

What? they are crazy :blink:

it's just getting worse and worse :angry::(

awesome article, baron.

that is some genius stunt marketing, there, trolling the kuwaiti censors for the predictable outraged pull quote. now everyone wants to see that movie. i literally can't google fast enough. the gulf news says:

hot, hot...

oh boo.

to krow, off-topic
"Bedoon Rakaba" in Arabic بدون رقابة in English "Without Censorship"
sure it's in Egyptian Arabic which is understandable in most of Arab World .. unfortunately no English translation
note: I didn't watch the movie just searched for it and found it on youtube.
here is the full movie on Youtube 1 hour 40 minutes:

Hold Qatar World Cup a month early says bid evaluator Harold Mayne-Nicholls, who claims his warnings about playing the World Cup in Qatar in June and July were ignored by FIFA when they awarded the Gulf state the tournament, has suggested it should be played in May and June instead.

Mayne-Nicholls, the chairman of FIFA's Evaluation group that studied the nine bids for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups in finite detail, on Wednesday proposed three alternative times of the year for the 2022 tournament: January/February, May/June and October/November.

Since it started in 1930, the World Cup has traditionally been held in June and July, occasionally starting in the last few days of May.

"If we played it in May and June it could start on May 20 and finish on June 19 when it would be warm but not like it is in the heat of July. The Champions League final could be on April 30," he told delegates at the Leaders in Football conference.

"FIFA president Sepp Blatter has suggested October/November, while UEFA have proposed January and February. They all pose challenges, but Qatar won the vote to stage the finals and it should be played there, but we have to find a new time of year."

Qatar were awarded the 2022 finals in December 2010, beating off rival bids from the United States, Australia, South Korea and Japan, despite the report from Mayne-Nicholls and his inspection team that spelt out the dangers to the FIFA executive committee which included reference to the summer heat that can rise as high as 50C (122F).

He implied on Wednesday he had favoured the United States for 2022 saying that an estimated 1.6 to 2.0 million fans would have travelled to the U.S. for the finals and had a huge party.

"Football belongs to the fans," he said, "The World Cup will not be the World Cup if fans are staying in the hotel lobby.

"We have to work with the fans in mind, it's not a TV show, its a fans show."

Mayne-Nicholls, the former chairman of the Chile FA, added: "My team made its report to the executive committee, but I think they had already taken their decision.

"But there were some problems with Qatar. There was a big risk with just one city for 64 games and there are risks regarding the training sites. They want to cool down all the fields, but in case the cooling system breaks down, that will create a big problem.

"To play in June and July there can be very risky for the players in those conditions. Even with a green cooling system, it can be really dangerous.

"Now three years later, the FIFA exco seem to be taking notice of the report realising it will be hard for the players, the fans and everyone else, and have set up a task force to look at the problem."

NO WASTE

Mayne-Nicholls and his team travelled to 11 countries -- there were two joint-bids for the 2018 finals -- in a six-month period during 2010 before FIFA took the decision to award the 2018 finals to Russia and 2022 to Qatar.

Asked if he thought he had wasted his time, he said: "No. I did a professional job, I published the report, it was on the web, everyone could read it. I don't feel I wasted my time, totally the contrary, you think if it was a waste of time, you'd all be interviewing me today?

"Maybe the report was ignored in December 2010, but today I heard the chairman of the English FA quote it, and FIFA are looking at when the World Cup can be held, so no, it was not a waste of time, even though they ignored it then."

Earlier, English FA chairman Greg Dyke told delegates the 2022 finals would never be played in the Middle East summer, even though he has no say in the decision as his organisation do not have a seat on the executive committee.

Sunil Gulati, the president of the United States Soccer Federation, who joined the FIFA executive committee in April, told reporters in response to Dyke's comments: "I did not see him at the meeting last week when we set up the task force so I am not sure how he is so sure.

"There is no agreed consensus or agreement yet on what is going to be a very important review of when the World Cup will be staged."

Reuters

http://au.eurosport.com/football/world-cup/2014/hold-2022-world-cup-a-month-early-says-bid-evaluator_sto3957219/story.shtml

MrCatra.. tell us again how FIFA doesn't care about clashing with the IOC? Or how the broadcasters don't have any say in the matter?..

Fifa holds secret talks with broadcasters over switching 2022 Qatar World Cup to winter

Am I supposed to believe what UK media says about FIFA? lol. I'm sure blatter himself is this garbage newspaper's source. lol.

Anyways, as you can see in the post above yours: it's IOC members crying for FIFA to not mess with the WOG. That's what I said. WOG is a minor event compared to the FIFA WC. I acknowledged it would create problems for FIFA but it's the WOG's best interest to not have the WC as a competitor.

Mayne-Nicholls could not explain how England’s 2018 bid failed so ­miserably: “You can always lose, but what I cannot understand is that you got two votes in the first round. Why two votes when the bid presentation was, if not No  1, very close to No 1? It’s only political, it’s not commercial, or communications, or legal, or the ­government, or the football. But you were not able to convince them.”

English still crying? Russia was a much better candidate. Get over it. This is for those saying England wouldn't accept to host the 2022. LOL. They would say yes yes yes yes please yes even before blatter could finish his sentence.

Am I supposed to believe what UK media says about FIFA? lol. I'm sure blatter himself is this garbage newspaper's source. lol.

Anyways, as you can see in the post above yours: it's IOC members crying for FIFA to not mess with the WOG. That's what I said. WOG is a minor event compared to the FIFA WC. I acknowledged it would create problems for FIFA but it's the WOG's best interest to not have the WC as a competitor.

Minor lol what are you an idiot?

English still crying? Russia was a much better candidate. Get over it. This is for those saying England wouldn't accept to host the 2022. LOL. They would say yes yes yes yes please yes even before blatter could finish his sentence.

If you read the technical report you will see that the England bid was stronger than Russia. The Executive Committee ignored the reports.

• Like 1

I don't think many people have a beef against Russia. Yes, FIFA could've made it clearer if they really wanted a new land, especially for the European cup. That would've saved many of the bids (including England) a lot of time, effort, money, & grief if FIFA had made their intentions clear at the start instead of making them evident at the end. Unlike Qatar, Russia's bid made sense on a purely footballing level (the laws of Russia are another story), with them being an ex-power quickly rising in the football world, and emotionally, with the whole new area of Eastern Europe never having hosted. Not to mention that Russia can (& will) play the event at the right time of year. The problem is Qatar, their lack of football, their status as a city-state smaller than many American states, their climate, and their backward stance on almost every possible issue. It all adds up to a scenario that seems to get more & more likely every day - that instead of going through a fair, level, transparent bidding process back in 2010, Qatar simply went to the FIFA voting committee, & in the words of another member here, 'bought the World Cup'.

• Like 1

World Cup 2022: senior Fifa official says handing Qatar summer finals was a 'mistake' and 'very risky'

By Paul Hayward6:50PM BST 08 Oct 2013
Qatar won the 2022 World Cup bidding race before Fifa considered the inspection reports, according to the leader of the team who wrote the summaries. Harold Mayne-Nicholls, the former Fifa official, described the 2022 decision “a mistake” and called for a new voting process to stop executive committee members agreeing “deals”.
Mayne-Nicholls will tell a Leaders in Sport conference in London on Wednesday that Fifa must put politics aside and obey the recommendations of its task force when deciding an autumn/winter slot for Qatar 2022. His view that Fifa effectively ignored his team’s report adds weight to the suspicion that money and power counted for more than practicalities.
When we made a report, they had a look at it, but the decision was taken before,” said Mayne-Nicholls, who now runs a charitable sporting foundation called Ganamos Todos in his native Chile. “Or the word was given: 'I gave you my word that I will vote for you,’ even when the report was not on the table. We need to change the system of how we elect who will be hosting the World Cup. We cannot keep this system. It has too many imperfections, for the legacy of the World Cup, and for Fifa.”
He wants to escape criticism but the only part of the report that talks about the heat is this:
"International standards for health and medical services are likely to be met. However, the fact that the competition is planned in June/July, the two hottest months of the year in this region, has to be considered as a potential health risk for players, officials, the FIFA family and spectators, and requires precautions to be taken."
He says that June/July are the hottest months but does not say how much hot is. He also ignored that fact at the conclusion of the report:
"If Qatar is awarded the hosting rights, FIFA's legal risks appears to be low. All requirements have been met."
So stop talking nonsense Sir Nicholls. You are guilty too!
Here is the report:
^^
At the end of the report which has some colorful graphics, only one topic was red (high risk), just like Russia's report.

BTW, Mayne-Nicholls, despite having an Anglo-surname, is actually a Chilean citizen. ;)

Edited by baron-pierreIV
He wants to escape criticism but the only part of the report that talks about the heat is this:
"International standards for health and medical services are likely to be met. However, the fact that the competition is planned in June/July, the two hottest months of the year in this region, has to be considered as a potential health risk for players, officials, the FIFA family and spectators, and requires precautions to be taken."
He says that June/July are the hottest months but does not say how much hot is. He also ignored that fact at the conclusion of the report:
"If Qatar is awarded the hosting rights, FIFA's legal risks appears to be low. All requirements have been met."
So stop talking nonsense Sir Nicholls. You are guilty too!
Here is the report:
^^
At the end of the report which has some colorful graphics, only one topic was red (high risk), just like Russia's report.

i wish you worked for the telegraph. the reporter should have asked that very question, but i doubt he bothered reading the report.

Maybe he means the "Overall Operational risk " in the Executive Summaries report which says:

High Risk: Qatar
Medium Risk : Russia
Low Risk: all of the rest bidding nations.
that means the fifa executive committee has ignored this very critical line in the report and has chosen the worst two bids Russia and Qatar!
it's the first line in page 6 (in the pdf file) ( page 8/9 in the report):
  • Like 1

that means the fifa executive committee has ignored this very critical line in the report and has chosen the worst two bids Russia and Qatar!

They obviously did. Totally ignored it. It's like they almost acted "in-your-face" vs. the reports. And that's the danger with a very small pool of voters. There is a greater chance of jokers coming together. Whereas in a body like the IOC with over a hundred POVs, some sanity will prevail. Sometimes you almost wish that Blatter had manipulated the votes earlier just to have avoided this whole Qatar catastrophe.

• Like 1

So the fiasco takes another turn. Now the talk is a decision on moving the WC could be delayed until 2015. This tells me that FIFA is going to try to work out some sort of monetary agreement with the broadcasting networks and perhaps the EPL. Blatter and company have no choice. They know they cannot move the tournament without compensating the TV networks. Also it appears a proposal has emerged to hold the tournament in May. That might be the compromise needed.

I think Blatter and FIFA really thought they'd be able to announce a switch and everybody would fall in line. That clearly hasn't been the case. Recall Blatter's rant a few weeks ago where he rambled that holding the WC in the summer was merely a guideline, not a requirement but then he on to ramble about Europe not being the center of the football world (this was clearly a shot fired at the domestic leagues that oppose the move and that he expected the leagues to adjust their schedules for the good of the game). I still think the possibility exists that a winter WC could be played with second tier players. There's too much money invested in broadcasting rights not to mention season ticket holders for clubs like Manchester United shell out big money to see the likes of a Wayne Rooney, not a benchwarmer.

This whole would be comical if it weren't so ridiculous. Maybe between now and 2015 Michael Garcia's investigation will turn up enough dirt that proves the awarding of the 2022 WC was a sham.

/\/\ I disagree. I don't know that FIFA will have to compensate the networks or the leagues for a change of scheduling. Football and especially the WC will always pull in the large numbers regardless of when or where it will be played. If well-heeled die-hard fans will follow the action to the distant corners of the earth, how hard is it for viewers at home to watch the games from June-July to say Nov-Dec or to whatever months they finally decide on--in the comfort of their living rooms or the corner pub? Monetary-wise, FIFA isn't going to have refund too many $$$ to anyone.

And if say Fox plays hardball; well, FIFA can always cut them off for the next WC if they don't curb their lip.

/\/\ I disagree. I don't know that FIFA will have to compensate the networks or the leagues for a change of scheduling. Football and especially the WC will always pull in the large numbers regardless of when or where it will be played. If well-heeled die-hard fans will follow the action to the distant corners of the earth, how hard is it for viewers at home to watch the games from June-July to say Nov-Dec or to whatever months they finally decide on--in the comfort of their living rooms or the corner pub? Monetary-wise, FIFA isn't going to have refund too many $$$ to anyone.

And if say Fox plays hardball; well, FIFA can always cut them off for the next WC if they don't curb their lip.

I can't speak to the situation in other countries, but I can assure you that if the World Cup moves to November-December, it is going to get buried in this country behind the the NFL. And Fox will do their best to either wiggle their way out of that contract and/or perhaps even try and get out of it entirely. I know US television rights aren't as big to FIFA as they are to the IOC, but it's still a big investment that Fox would be getting screwed on, so they have a right to be pissed. Whether or not FIFA compensates them remains to be determined.

Too much money rides on those TV contracts. Fox is one of the most powerful media outlets in the world. FIFA will have to compensate them somehow. And what about the EPL. It's arguably the top league with the top players. FIFA cannot mandate those clubs to release their players for the WC if they refuse to alter their schedules.

It's got to be a legal issue. Everything depends on what's written in the contracts. If the contracts stipulate a particular time of year, the networks have every right to challenge FIFA, irrespective of whether they would make money on the new dates or not. A contract is a contract.

More than 60 percent of FIFA's World Cup revenue comes from broadcasting rights. A November/December tournament puts it in direct competition with the NFL and NCAA football which means Fox and Telemundo would lose a significant portion of viewers. A January/February tournament puts it up against the IOC and the Winter Olympics. A deal will have to be worked out. FIFA can't bite the hand that feeds them.

More than 60 percent of FIFA's World Cup revenue comes from broadcasting rights. A November/December tournament puts it in direct competition with the NFL and NCAA football which means Fox and Telemundo would lose a significant portion of viewers. A January/February tournament puts it up against the IOC and the Winter Olympics. A deal will have to be worked out. FIFA can't bite the hand that feeds them.

Yeah...but for the US market tho, the only conflicts w/ NFL and NCAA football would be Team USA games; and how many of those would there be? Just tape the NFL and NCAA games; I don't watch 'em anyway. So I'm fine with a Nov-December WC sked.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Yeah...but for the US market tho, the only conflicts w/ NFL and NCAA football would be Team USA games; and how many of those would there be? Just tape the NFL and NCAA games; I don't watch 'em anyway. So I'm fine with a Nov-December WC sked.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I hope you realize how much you're in the minority on that one. Very few people in this country will bypass NFL and college football games for World Cup games, even ones involving the United States, as opposed to Tunisia against Saudi Arabia or something like that.

• Like 2