Qatar 2022

arwebb

Sad news. I first became aware of him when he ran for FIFA President a decade ago in a stand against FIFA corruption...

He's also the journalist who was stopped from entering a stadium a week or two ago for wearing a rainbow shirt

And an all round decent football writer, above all. RIP

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, R__ said:

Sad news. I first became aware of him when he ran for FIFA President a decade ago in a stand against FIFA corruption...

He's also the journalist who was stopped from entering a stadium a week or two ago for wearing a rainbow shirt

And an all round decent football writer, above all. RIP

Also wrote the 2002 LeBron James Sports Illustrated Chosen One cover story in LeBron's St. Vincent St. Mary's days introducing himself to the world

On 12/10/2022 at 7:02 AM, baron-pierreIV said:

Yeah, but he's just in palliative care.  But now that Brazil has been kicked out, maybe the poor man can finally earn his rest, no??  

No.

Pele is not in palliative care.  

Brazil great Pele not under palliative care, daughter says - Reuters

This world cup is already smelling of French victory. I hope i'm wrong but it seems to be the only logical conclusion so far.

As for Grant Wahl, there was definitely some kind of foul play. Too much of a coincidence for him to die but sadly we might never see an independent autopsy. Screw FIFA and Infantino for awarding the tournament to this place to begin with.

30 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

This world cup is already smelling of French victory. I hope i'm wrong but it seems to be the only logical conclusion so far.

As for Grant Wahl, there was definitely some kind of foul play. Too much of a coincidence for him to die but sadly we might never see an independent autopsy. Screw FIFA and Infantino for awarding the tournament to this place to begin with.

Grant’s very sad passing is terribly upsetting for his wife and his brother.

But Grant Wahl himself had reported on his medical symptoms in recent weeks and that he had visited hospital twice in Doha before he collapsed and sadly passed yesterday.

• “on his Substack Wahl explained that his body "finally broke down on me," and again detailed the sickness.”
  • "Three weeks of little sleep, high stress and lots of work can do that to you," he wrote.”
  • "What had been a cold over the last 10 days turned into something more severe on the night of the USA-Netherlands game, and I could feel my upper chest take on a new level of pressure and discomfort.”
  • ”I didn't have Covid (I test regularly here), but I went into the medical clinic at the main media center today, and they said I probably have bronchitis.”

Journalist Grant Wahl Said He 'Had a Case of Bronchitis' Before His Death: 'Pressure and Discomfort' - finance.yahoo.com - 11 Dec2022

26 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

Grant’s very sad passing is terribly upsetting for his wife and his brother.

But Grant Wahl himself had reported on his medical symptoms in recent weeks and that he had visited hospital twice in Doha before he collapsed and sadly passed yesterday.

• “on his Substack Wahl explained that his body "finally broke down on me," and again detailed the sickness.”
  • "Three weeks of little sleep, high stress and lots of work can do that to you," he wrote.”
  • "What had been a cold over the last 10 days turned into something more severe on the night of the USA-Netherlands game, and I could feel my upper chest take on a new level of pressure and discomfort.”
  • ”I didn't have Covid (I test regularly here), but I went into the medical clinic at the main media center today, and they said I probably have bronchitis.”

Journalist Grant Wahl Said He 'Had a Case of Bronchitis' Before His Death: 'Pressure and Discomfort' - finance.yahoo.com - 11 Dec2022

That’s all very well, and likely at least a factor in his death. Any autopsy in Qatar is always likely not to find anything different.

But his brother’s and family’s statements have already raised the suspicions and also put a spotlight on his writings and the rainbow flag incident. I’d say the damage is already done in terms of the type of reports FIFA and Qatar certainly don’t want at this stage of the tournament. And going by Grant’s past history with FIFA, his actions at Qatar and his writings during pre and during the tournament, it’s clear (if there was any doubt) he’s never been a friend of the regimes in FIFA and Doha. He might at least be glad that in death, he may have thrown a spotlight back on their blemished records.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1