Qatar 2022

arwebb

If this 2-0 result with Ecuador emerging out on top is a harbinger to come for Qatar's Maroons, then it would well deserved karma for many who very controversially roped in this World Cup to their backyard. Nothing against the Qatari players personally, but this is rapidly becoming a sh!tshow for them with the even more talented Senegal and The Netherlands looming for them in Group A. They're gonna be far worse than South Africa in 2010. Sure Qatar won the most recent Asian Cup in the UAE, but the World Cup obviously in whole another universe and experience altogether. Only thing would have some dignity for them is scoring a goal during group play.

And Infantino ranting on the eve of the start with all the hypocrisy reeking all over from Qatar? My God! Even bringing up he was a redhead in his youth (if I got that right) to add to the apparent solidarity with the workers and the LGBTQ+. Man, I got more to say on all this later.    

Back to the soccer for now. My abridged 2022 FIFA World Cup predictions. A more detailed one will arrive, if not later this short week, definitely by the next one after Thanksgiving/Black Friday.

GROUP A:  1. The Netherlands 2. Senegal 3. Ecuador 4. Qatar

GROUP B:   1. England 2. USA 3. Wales 4. Iran

GROUP C:   1. Argentina 2. Mexico 3. Poland 4. Saudi Arabia

GROUP D:   1. France 2. Denmark 3. Australia 4. Tunisia

GROUP E:    1. Germany 2. Spain 3. Japan 4. Costa Rica

GROUP F:    1. Canada 2. Belgium 3. Croatia 4. Morocco

GROUP G:   1. Brazil 2. Switzerland 3. Serbia 4. Cameroon

GROUP H:   1. Portugal 2. Uruguay 3. South Korea 4. Ghana

ROUND OF 16:  Netherlands over USA, Argentina over Denmark, Germany over Belgium, Brazil over Uruguay, England over Senegal, France over Mexico, Canada over Spain, Portugal over Switzerland

QUARTERFINALS: Argentina over The Netherlands, Brazil over Germany, England over France, Portugal over Canada

SEMIFINALS: Brazil over Argentina and England over Portugal

THIRD PLACE: Argentina over Portugal  FINAL: Brazil over England     

SURPRISE TEAMS:  Senegal, USA, Denmark, Switzerland, Canada, South Korea, Japan, Ecuador, Poland, Serbia 

As World Cup opening ceremonies go this was one was pretty good i guess. The best since South Africa 2010. The best for me though was Japan/Korea 2002.

The 2022 Women's Rugby World Cup opening Ceremony in NZ last month however made the Qatar opening look like a kindergarten production lol

54 minutes ago, StefanMUC said:

Just testing...I don't see any new activity here in the forum since Tuesday?

Not so. I do remember a couple of new posts here but they had been just deleted.

BTW,I can't see some image pics in Paris 2024 mascot and @yoshi's annual logo comp threads these days,what's happening?:ph34r::huh:

14 minutes ago, Palette86 said:

Not so. I do remember a couple of new posts here but they had been just deleted.

BTW,I can't see some image pics in Paris 2024 mascot and @yoshi's annual logo comp threads these days,what's happening?:ph34r::huh:

A board glitch of some sort. We lost the last 24 hours of posts and everything stopped working. Couldn’’t even pm people to ask what’s up. Just good to be back now..

Congrats Japan! Didn’t see you coming for  Germany! 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

A board glitch of some sort. We lost the last 24 hours of posts and everything stopped working. Couldn’’t even pm people to ask what’s up. Just good to be back now.

Human rights are non-negotiable' - Germany players cover mouths for World  Cup team photo | 2022 World Cup - Protest

Germany took action, so I thought someone in the world who is against the west had falsified this site.:D

7 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Congrats Japan! Didn’t see you coming for  Germany! 

Arigato gozaimasu!:)

6 hours ago, Sir Rols said:

Stadium 974, the first temporary football venue in World Cup history. Made of recycled shipping containers.

spacer.png

I’m spotting a real architectural theme to this WC. Just like the fan zones!!! Must be easy to install more corporate boxes if needed too.

I think this was the one that was going to originally look like a picnic basket . . . but its design somehow morphed along the way.  

19 hours ago, baron-pierreIV said:

I think this was the one that was going to originally look like a picnic basket . . . but its design somehow morphed along the way.  

Actually, I’m not really against the concept. It’s intriguing. What’s the crowd capacity? Seems a nicely innovative solution for temporary stadiums.

I just found it funny how it was in keeping with the Guantanamo-chic aesthetics of the fan zones.

Edited by Sir Rols

7 minutes ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Q: Made of recycled shipping containers

Is it really 'made' of shipping containers, or are they just added as a zany decorative detail???? 

Yep, they’re real  - 974 containers in all, hence its name.

and checking that I also found its capacity is 44,000

7 minutes ago, TorchbearerSydney said:

Yes,  there are many real containers, but are they ' integral' to the structure of the stadium, or just a decoration? I believe very little of the hype of this WC....

Well, this according to Wikipedia:

The stadium was designed by Fenwick Iribarren Architects.[1][2] The stadium is constructed on a 450,000 square-meter waterfront site. It has a modulardesign, and incorporates 974 recycled shipping containers in homage to the site's industrial history and the international dialing code for Qatar (+974).[3]Some of the containers house stadium amenities such as bathrooms and concessions.[3] The entire structure is designed to be dismantled and reassembled elsewhere; it is the first temporary venue in FIFA World Cup history. Wiki

Commentator on the match there the other day said Uruguay want it - all of it - for the 2030 bid. Maybe it really will be the first truly nomadic stadium, could be at least one good thing come out of this tournament. 

Also yeah that was an amazing win by Japan @Palette86 - I had Germany down as top 3 favourite, they're usually at their best when nobody is talking about them...

• Like 1