Qatar 2022

arwebb

On 9/4/2018 at 7:28 AM, anthonyliberatori said:

I also wonder if flights into Doha from the northern hemisphere will be cheaper than usual because late November and early December are travel off season. 

From non-muslim countries.  But I would think that from muslim countries, bookings to the region will be tight because the pilgrimages to Mecca, I believe. are s year-round thing, and probably even more popular in Nov-Dec when things are a bit cooler. 

On 11/11/2018 at 3:51 PM, baron-pierreIV said:

From non-muslim countries.  But I would think that from muslim countries, bookings to the region will be tight because the pilgrimages to Mecca, I believe. are s year-round thing, and probably even more popular in Nov-Dec when things are a bit cooler. 

I hope you meany general pilgrimages to Mecca and not the Hajj, because the Hajj takes place in July in 2022....

However, Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Doha are transit hubs for European tourists trying to go to Mauritius, the Seychelles, Sri Lanka Australia, New Zealand, and Southeast Asia. While yes, all of these places will have tourists in December, it will not be as much as in the summer during holidays or cold winter, as main European traffic to the hot vacation spots goes from July to August and Christmas to Easter. I know Australia and Indonesia are somewhat exceptions because December begins their summer vacation, but from Europe and North America, early December is an off-peak time. 

Collectively, though, it will be a mess for travelers who are trying to go into Qatar for the championship final. Mid to late December is expensive all across the world, and being a prime vacation time, everyone will be in transit. It will be interesting to see how the flight situations turn out, I'm expecting numerous charter flights. We haven't seen this with the World Cup since 2002 when the final was played in Tokyo where major airline hub traffic will be of concern. Berlin hosted the 2006 final, but no major transatlantic carrier hubs in Berlin,as Lufthansa uses Frankfurt and Munich primarily. Johannesburg, Rio and Moscow are hubs for their national carrier, but not major connection points like Tokyo and Doha are, as they are somewhat isolated from the main transatlantic and transpacific flow. 

• 2 months later...

Looks like Qatar has been gearing up all these years in order to become a competent team, now (thanks to their Aspire Academy). They've done what was unthinkable until today by winning the Asian Cup against Japan, the team who almost beat Belgium last year, and in the soil of a country which hates them to death at this moment. Maybe they could make a decent performance in 2022 after all.

The only goal they ever conceded during the whole cup was by Japan and in the final. A folrmer FC Barcelona member is their current coach right now.

xortunoxah003-abu-dabi-emiratos-rabes-un

http://www.the-afc.com/asiancup/news/qatar-clinch-historic-title

On 2/2/2019 at 4:03 AM, Ikarus360 said:

Looks like Qatar has been gearing up all these years in order to become a competent team, now (thanks to their Aspire Academy). They've done what was unthinkable until today by winning the Asian Cup against Japan, the team who almost beat Belgium last year, and in the soil of a country which hates them to death at this moment. Maybe they could make a decent performance in 2022 after all.

The only goal they ever conceded during the whole cup was by Japan and in the final. A folrmer FC Barcelona member is their current coach right now.

xortunoxah003-abu-dabi-emiratos-rabes-un

http://www.the-afc.com/asiancup/news/qatar-clinch-historic-title

Keep an eye on them during Copa America Brazil 2019.. I hope they'll prepare themselves seriously for that tournament so that we can see their capabilities against stronger Conmebol nations.. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A couple news outlets are reporting that if FIFA goes ahead with plans for an expanded World Cup in 2022, that it is possible Qatar could co-host with other Gulf states such as the UAE, Oman, and Kuwait. Surely FIFA realizes the quagmire that would create not to mention Kuwait is a dry country (no alcohol). 

As far as those stadiums in Qatar go, none of them look like they are being built with the "famed temporary seating that will be dismantled after the WC and shipped off to poorer countries." But if you have the money, who cares about white elephants?

• 3 months later...

Hope this will give FIFA a chance to strip Qatar of hosting rights and give it to a safer Asian country to host it.

Australia or South Korea would be best, Japan not so good as they're already hosting the Olympics in almost a year's time.

1 hour ago, Shiruba98 said:

Hope this will give FIFA a chance to strip Qatar of hosting rights and give it to a safer Asian country to host it.

Australia or South Korea would be best, Japan not so good as they're already hosting the Olympics in almost a year's time.

The World Cup a little over 3 years away.  Starting to get late in the game to make that change.  It's not like allegations and charges of bribery and corruption are anything new.  In order for the World Cup to move, that would require FIFA to admit that FIFA was in the wrong here.  I just don't see that happening.  I don't see those countries being that interested in taking Qatar's sloppy seconds.

I still think it’s pretty odd that they haven’t launched their proper logo yet. World Cup logos are normally revealed around the previous World Cup, but we’re almost a year on from the 2018 final. Might be wishful thinking, but it’s almost like Qatar still aren’t sure they’ll actually host it. 

On 6/21/2019 at 11:31 AM, yoshi said:

I still think it’s pretty odd that they haven’t launched their proper logo yet. World Cup logos are normally revealed around the previous World Cup, but we’re almost a year on from the 2018 final. Might be wishful thinking, but it’s almost like Qatar still aren’t sure they’ll actually host it. 

It's not unprecedented, both the 1994 and 2002 logos were unveiled around a year after the previous World Cup.

On 6/21/2019 at 9:50 AM, Quaker2001 said:

The World Cup a little over 3 years away.  Starting to get late in the game to make that change.  It's not like allegations and charges of bribery and corruption are anything new.  In order for the World Cup to move, that would require FIFA to admit that FIFA was in the wrong here.  I just don't see that happening.  I don't see those countries being that interested in taking Qatar's sloppy seconds.

The only close case was Mexico 1986, when they took the rights in 1983 after Colombia withdrawn. But that was long time ago in this aspect.

6 minutes ago, Roger87 said:

The only close case was Mexico 1986, when they took the rights in 1983 after Colombia withdrawn. But that was long time ago in this aspect.

Indeed, and the key there is that Columbia withdrew.  There's no shot the Qatar organizers are going to wake up one morning and decide they no longer are up to hosting the World Cup.  It would have to be taken away from them and FIFA likely doesn't have the political capital at this point to even try something like that.

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2019 at 10:58 PM, Ikarus360 said:

Finally. Though this also might mean there's no more turning back.

Well, it's better than no World Cup at all.

Hopefully, once 2022 comes around, Qatar could possibly put aside the major controversies.

4 hours ago, Shiruba98 said:

Well, it's better than no World Cup at all.

Hopefully, once 2022 comes around, Qatar could possibly put aside the major controversies.

Expecting Qatar to put aside any controversy is the equivalent of the thinking that giving the Olympics to Beijing in 2008 would improve China's human rights record. It's already practically going to be a "dry" World Cup, a far cry from Russia in 2018 when bars actually ran out of beer. I do wonder big the check is that FIFA will write to Budweiser for them to accept this for one cycle.

• 2 weeks later...

What about the official logo? What do you think about it?

-          The forms represent: sand dunes of the desert, the number 8 because of the 8 stadiums were the Cup will take place, the infinite symbol due to the importance of the event. Traditional Arabic Characters spelling “Qatar 2022”. The inside forms and figures are taken from traditional Qatar shawls people wear on, especially in winter time… beside the iconic form of the Cup itself…

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

When I went to Doha in Winter 2018 they were already building the stadiums. I dont know if they were already existing or if they just renovated most of them. All I do know is that they are doing eveything they can to accomodate all the fans. But i highly doubt that quataris will actually go and watch the games.

• 2 months later...