Qatar 2022

arwebb

Absolute non-story. Amazed so many in the media actually ran with it. It's from Saudi's sports chief, not from any FIFA source. Of course Damien Collins is never shy when it comes to talking about FIFA either, you can always rely on him for a quote to flesh something out.

Qatar 2022 was the stupidest decision ever, but let's not get too excited at what is a salvo launched by a Saudi government minister. As I said, I'm amazed the media took the bait here.

A construction worker was killed in a fall at a Qatar 2022 World Cup stadium building site while using "potentially lethal equipment", an inquest heard.

Zachary Cox, 40, plummeted 130ft (40m) at Khalifa International Stadium in Doha on 19 January last year.

He sustained brain injuries and a broken neck in the fall, Brighton and Hove Coroner's Court heard.

Work practices at the stadium were "inherently unsafe", the coroner said.

His family has called for an independent inquiry into his death.

Mr Cox, who was born in Johannesburg but later lived in Hove and London, fell when a faulty hoist he was using to put a suspended walkway in place broke.

His safety harness also snapped under the weight and he dropped head first. He was pronounced dead in hospital.

Coroner Veronica Hamilton-Deeley found he died from multiple injuries after a fall from height after new work practices, which she branded "inherently unsafe", were introduced.

The inquest heard extra hoists were brought in to speed up the construction after problems with some of the 1.8 tonne metal platforms had to be fixed, putting the project behind schedule.

Recording a narrative conclusion, the coroner said: "The site managers at the stadium knew or should have known that they were effectively requiring a group of their workers to rely on potentially lethal equipment.

"[The new system] was chaotic, unprofessional, unthinking and downright dangerous."

After the inquest, Mr Cox's sisters-in-law Ella Joseph and Hazel Mayes called for an independent inquiry and for the Foreign Office to step in.

"We demand reassurance that those responsible for making the decisions that ultimately led to Zac's death will be held to account and justice will be served," they said.

"We want to know lessons will be learnt, so other families won't suffer under similar circumstances."

Mr Cox was employed by a South African subcontractor, which was working for a German firm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-43215272?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_england&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=english_regions

On 2/26/2018 at 1:06 PM, yoshi said:

Not sure the political fallout would be that bad. I mean, think of the situation in the Gulf now, & you have to wonder - who would be on Qatar's side?

I don't think it would be quite as bad as it might have been. Prior to the whole Gulf crisis fiasco, Qatar played the Muslim card when confronted with allegations about bribery and FIFA quickly backed down. Had they taken the WC away from them then it would've led to a political firestorm with allegations of anti-Muslim bias and probably a boycott of the WC by at least the entire Arab League and maybe some other Muslim countries. I mentioned a while back they might have even staged an "Islamic Cup" alongside the WC in protest.

Given the circumstances now (I am currently living and working in Riyadh) I don't think you'd have the political fallout from an anti-Muslim perspective that you would have had before the current situation with Qatar. A number of Saudis I work with even think the Qataris bought it. The problem for FIFA would be Qatar could still attempt to sue FIFA in CAS. In fact, they've probably got their own team of lawyers on standy ready to go after FIFA financially if FIFA were to ever try to take the WC from them. They'd probably try to sue FIFA into bankruptcy.

• 1 month later...

FIFA keen on expanding World Cup to 48 teams for Qatar 2022

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina — FIFA President Gianni Infantino is keen on hastening the expansion of the World Cup to 48 teams for the 2022 tournament in Qatar, a move that might require the tiny Gulf nation to share games in the region.

The governing body will now study if Qatar can alone cope with the additional logistical challenges of hosting 16 more teams and 16 more games than originally planned for the Middle East’s first World Cup.

The jump from 32 to 48 teams was originally only due to apply from the 2026 tournament under plans Infantino secured approval for last year. But he is highly receptive to a request received Thursday from south American confederation CONMEBOL and its 10-member associations to accelerate the expansion plans.

“It seems to me a very interesting idea,” Infantino said after attending a CONMEBOL meeting in Buenos Aires. “Of course we have to study the feasibility of this proposal. If it’s possible, if it is feasible, if the others agree too, because it is not a decision that only the president of FIFA or CONMEBOL make ... of course we are going to study it.

“And I really think it is something very interesting. We have to study it seriously and if it is possible, why not?”

An early expansion would allow FIFA to generate more revenue to replenish the coffers hit by corruption scandals and potentially strengthen Infantino’s position among the 211 membership before seeking re-election next year.

“I firmly believe as president of FIFA in an enlargement of participating national teams because I am convinced that it is good for the development of football all over the world,” Infantino said. “That is why we have proposed it and that is why we have agreed to it since 2026.”

Qatar currently has plans to build eight stadiums, whereas bidders for the 48-team 2026 tournament have been told they need 12 venues. Rather than further straining the requirements on Qatar, one option to accommodate the leap from 64 to 80 would be to share games in the Gulf.

Qatar won the FIFA vote in 2010 with a vision of the World Cup benefiting the Middle East but with all the games in the small desert nation. Hopes of a unifying tournament for the region were eroded when Qatar’s neighbors, including Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, cut diplomatic ties last year.

Kuwait, which retains relations with Qatar, could be a co-host after Infantino worked to ensure the country’s suspension from FIFA was lifted in December.

Qatar World Cup organizing committee secretary general Hassan al-Thawadi has not ruled out the possibility of sharing matches with neighbors.

“Qatar has always been open to dialogue,” Al Thawadi told The Associated Press in November. “It’s always been open and it’s always supported our brother nations, to the extent that if (sharing the World Cup) was the ultimate goal, all that would have required was a simple conversation.”

Before being elected FIFA President, Infantino served as general secretary at European governing body UEFA under Michel Platini, who called on Qatar to share games in the region after voting for the country in the contentious hosting vote in 2010.

The Qatar tournament is already due to operate on a tight 28-day schedule to please club sides after FIFA shifted the event from its usual June-July slot to November-December because of the extreme heat in the desert nation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/dcunited/fifa-asked-to-expand-world-cup-to-48-teams-for-qatar-in-2022/2018/04/12/25ba27fc-3e65-11e8-955b-7d2e19b79966_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0e70d86a4ebc

Not disputing any of that, & certainly not glorifying Sepp - it's just that replacing a corrupt, power-crazed lunatic doesn't necessarily mean the replacement isn't an even more corrupt, power-crazed lunatic. I'm disappointed by Gianni, it initially looked like he could've been the guy football needed, but I guess with FIFA/UEFA, once an insider, always an insider :(

On 13/4/2018 at 3:47 PM, yoshi said:

Not disputing any of that, & certainly not glorifying Sepp - it's just that replacing a corrupt, power-crazed lunatic doesn't necessarily mean the replacement isn't an even more corrupt, power-crazed lunatic. I'm disappointed by Gianni, it initially looked like he could've been the guy football needed, but I guess with FIFA/UEFA, once an insider, always an insider :(

Gianni was Sepp right handed man. I dunno about you guys but i knew from day 1 he was going to be as bad or worse. 

All of FIFA is on a need of a big sweapt. Every single member is a lost cause at this point. 

If FIFA decides to go to a 48 team WC in Qatar, there's a potentially huge geopolitical crisis that could arise in the form of what happens if Israel qualifies. Given a 48 team tournament, that isn't unlikely (the Israeli team is halfway decent anyway). I know the Qataris stated shortly after winning the 2022 WC hosting rights that Israel would be allowed to compete if they qualified despite the lack of diplomatic ties, however, I think that was lip service to FIFA more than anything else and the prospects of Israel qualifying in the current 32 team format was probably low. Now the chances are higher. Does anyone really think Qatar would follow through on this? I have my doubts especially considering how Qatar has more or less strong-armed FIFA every chance they've gotten (see the rulings on alcohol availability).

What if the following scenario were to occur? Israel qualifies and in the weeks leading up to the WC when the teams begin arriving, the Israeli team is suddenly denied entry into Qatar due to "visa issues." What would FIFA's recourse be? It's not like they could strip Qatar of the tournament that close to the start. FIFA woudld lodge a protest maybe even threaten future sanctions on Qatar in terms of participation at future tournaments or take points from Qatar in the 2022 WC. Qatar would likely respond that the issue is a diplomatic dispute and none of FIFA's business. At the end outside of sanction the Qatari team and perhaps suspending Qatar's governing sports body, there would be little FIFA could do to force Qatar's hand and the Qataris know this. More than likely FIFA would issue an apology to Israel and promise the Israelis an automatic qualification slot to the 2026 WC. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First Russia did an incredible job. Now let's wish Qatar the best. I'm also excited to see the additional team in the US / Canada / Mexico World Cup. Love to see more Asian teams in there. Maybe even India or something.

• 2 weeks later...

This happens all the time - Sydney 2000 tried to undercut the Beijing 2000 bid - they were going to release a book called 'The So-Called Candidate' that would have stirred up xenophobia before being told to not to as it would damage Sino-Australian relations. 

Roma and Athens were constantly pushing stories about their pollution/political corruption in the 2004 bid cycle...  

As crappy as Qatar's "win" was - this is far from unusual practice in event bidding.  In regards to smearing the name of FIFA in Australia - those of us who gave a sh*t about the world cup bid (a majority in AFL/Rugby mad Australia) already knew Sepp and co where assholes.  The high approval numbers the bid got were based strictly on us Aussies loving a party and us enjoying punching well above our weight when it comes to sport hosting.  Nothing more.

One of my former colleagues who nows works in Qatar has said that during the WC, hotel bars will not be permitted to serve alcohol. it won't be available anywhere in Doha or any other city and this includes the Qatar DIstribution Center which is the lone retail store that can sell alcoholic beverages  in the entire country. So the only way for fans to have a cold one will be the "fan zones" which are literally going to be in the middle of the desert and likely only accessible by private car or shuttle bus.

I'm sure FIFA will be giving Budwesier a nice check for this whole fiasco as they are one of FIFA's biggest sponsors.

On 7/29/2018 at 11:40 AM, stryker said:

One of my former colleagues who nows works in Qatar has said that during the WC, hotel bars will not be permitted to serve alcohol. it won't be available anywhere in Doha or any other city and this includes the Qatar DIstribution Center which is the lone retail store that can sell alcoholic beverages  in the entire country. So the only way for fans to have a cold one will be the "fan zones" which are literally going to be in the middle of the desert and likely only accessible by private car or shuttle bus.

I'm sure FIFA will be giving Budwesier a nice check for this whole fiasco as they are one of FIFA's biggest sponsors.

Oh, many English fans certainly aren't going to like this when the time comes to visiting Qatar...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I cannot wait to see how this hotel/accommodation situation plays out. I have read that Qatar is considering packages were people can stay in nearby countries, like UAE, and come in just for the day for a game before returning to UAE because they do not physically have the space for hotels. Even if that's exaggerated, I'm wondering what they'll do. I also wonder if flights into Doha from the northern hemisphere will be cheaper than usual because late November and early December are travel off season. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2018 at 6:28 PM, anthonyliberatori said:

I cannot wait to see how this hotel/accommodation situation plays out. I have read that Qatar is considering packages were people can stay in nearby countries, like UAE, and come in just for the day for a game before returning to UAE because they do not physically have the space for hotels. Even if that's exaggerated, I'm wondering what they'll do. I also wonder if flights into Doha from the northern hemisphere will be cheaper than usual because late November and early December are travel off season. 

Not sure how this will work with the political and economic embargo of Qatar by the UAE, Saudi Arabia, and Bahrain. Currently there's no air transport links between Qatar and the latter and while there's still 4 years till the WC, this situation shows no signs of getting fixed, if anything, both sides are digging in even more. If this really is the plan for accomodation, fans will have to fly to either Kuwait or Oman from Bahrain, UAE, or Saudi Arabia before connecting onward to Qatar.

• 1 month later...

Guess both the hotel accomodations and the Budweiser distribution explain in part the increasing possibility of not just the pushing up the 48-team format to Qatar but also having a nearby co-host like the UAE and Bahrain. At least those two have some semblance of a World Cup/international soccer pedigree, even if that's just in qualification in Bahrain's case, unlike Qatar. Abu Dhabi's stadiums can certainly meet FIFA World Cup requirements and are the only ones that can right away. The political and economic embargos must get settled and eased well before then. Besides, at this stage, I can see the UAE advancing out of the group stage more so than Qatar anyways--and that nation is hosting the upcoming and expanded AFC Asian Cup early next year, so that can be a dry run of sorts for that as third place finishers last time in Australia. Why not expand?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/31/fifa-world-cup-expansion-2022-qatar-infantino

And Gianni Infantino thinks six games per day in a 48-team field can do the trick with 80 overall from November 21 to December 18 since Qatar surely can't accomplish this alone:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/7685671/world-cup-2022-schedule-48-teams-qatar/

4 hours ago, Durban Sandshark said:

The political and economic embargos must get settled and eased well before then.

So all FIFA has to do is get Iran and Saudi Arabia to put aside their centuries of hatred and find an end to the civil wars in the middle east? I'm sure a few footballs signed by Ronaldo will be able fix that.

On the plus side this whole fiasco will at least save some people from having to drink Budweiser.