Qatar 2022

arwebb

If they can strike at the heart of Islam (in Mecca, Medina, etc.) they can strike in Qatar! I think FIFA better rethink 2022.

It's surprising that they haven't been attacked yet considering they have one of the largest oil reserves in the world.

It is baffling though such a small nation hasn't been attacked or invaded in any way. I remember this 60 Minutes episode about the country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_ZuXbOtBbo

It's surprising that they haven't been attacked yet considering they have one of the largest oil reserves in the world.

It is baffling though such a small nation hasn't been attacked or invaded in any way. I remember this 60 Minutes episode about the country

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_ZuXbOtBbo

"Don't bite the hand that feeds you"

• 1 month later...

Apparently now the Qataris are taking a look at the availability of alcohol at the World Cup in light of the few instances of hooliganism that occurred at Euro 2016 and their desire to maintain safety. Interesting here is this is being brought up with a solid six years to go and in that time we still have Euro 2020 and the 2018 World Cup. Total speculation on my part but I am wondering whether or not there is a movement afoot to ban alcohol completely during the time of the World Cup in Qatar.  Yes I realize that Budwesier is one of the biggest FIFA sponsors and yes that Qatar promised alcohol would be available during their bid, but right now, given the circumstances, I think Qatar is in position to make any demands they want of FIFA and FIFA will give in. FIFA just went through (some would say it's still going on) a huge scandal and practically all the evidence pointed to the Qataris buying the WC. And nothing happened. As soon as allegations of this came up, almost immediately, the Qataris blamed the accusations on racism and shortly thereafter things died down on that front. They got away with it and they know it. Now they more or less can extract concessions from FIFA and it would not surprise me if at some point closer to 2022 that Qatar announces the WC will be dry. And FIFA would have no control over it. They could complain, make accusations of Qatar going back on their word, but there wouldn't be any real penalties for Qatar that would jeopardize them hosting. In fact, FIFA's biggest problem would be Budwesier and most likely they'd apologize for it and Budweiser would probably get a nice check cut to them for the inconvenience or receive a discount on sponsorship when rights for that come up again in negotiation. Nasser Al Khater's quote regarding criticisms in the article lead me to think that it won't matter how Budwesier or FIFA react. If they want an outright ban on alcohol, they can do it.

http://www.hoteliermiddleeast.com/27860-qatar-mulls-alcohol-ban-for-world-cup-2022/

LMFAO!!! Qatar is in NO position to make demands! Do they think the World Cup can't be hosted elsewhere in such a short period of time??? The US can easily host the WC with a few years, hell maybe even a few month's notice. So can many other countries if FIFA decides to move it because of difficulties with Qatar provided that FIFA is willing to take a seating capacity for some of the smaller stadiums. The uproar over this even taken into consideration would make things even worse for FIFA and they will definitely distance themselves from Qatar, especially if Budweiser threatens to cut ties with FIFA for good if this happened. If there is any place that FIFA should take into consideration an alcoholic ban it's the next WC which is in Russia, the country that started all the hooliganism at the Euro Cup.

If FIFA wanted to take the WC from Qatar it would've been done by now. I've said before, the political blowback from taking the WC from Qatar could perhaps be enough to bring down FIFA. The evidence was there to suggest Qatar bought the bid for 2022. The availability of alcohol is going to have no bearing on that. if FIFA stripped the WC on the alcohol issue you'd here not just from Qatar, but the entire Muslim world, that the decision was based on racist views and with the issue of alcohol, a disrespect to local customs. Qatar would probably go the the CAS and perhaps attempt to sue FIFA if possible. Then there's the issue of a boycott by the Muslim world or at least the Arab countries who'd declare the WC to be illegitimate. The headaches Qatar could cause for FIFA by playing the Muslim country card are too great though I admit I would not be disappointed to see FIFA go down monetarily and Qatar has the finances to do it. In addition to the availability of alcohol, the issue of advertising hasn't been resolved. While alcohol is legal in Qatar, the advertising of alcohol is not. I have yet to see how FIFA is going to resolve with Budweiser the issue of no Budweiser signs during matches. Budweiser won't cut ties with FIFA. Everybody has their price. I'm sure FIFA would be willing to compensate Budweiser very well for either no alcohol or advertising in 2022.

On 10.8.2016 at 0:57 AM, LatinXTC said:

. If there is any place that FIFA should take into consideration an alcoholic ban it's the next WC which is in Russia, the country that started all the hooliganism at the Euro Cup.

I'm pretty sure uncle Vlad will keep the hooligans in order on his home soil. He doesn't want the image of Russia tarnished in that way or problems on Russian territory. What happens in foreign countries is a different issue. Also, ironically the most frightening thing about Russian hooligans is that they probably prefer to function without alcohol.

• 3 months later...

http://gulfbusiness.com/qatar-to-ban-alcohol-in-streets-public-places-during-2022-world-cup/

I'm sure this won't go over well with FIFA. Alcohol will only be able to be purchased in laces that are nowhere near WC activity. I'd venture to say by the time 2022 rolls around there will be a complete ban on alcohol in Qatar during the WC and Qatar will cite "safety and cultural reason" for the decision.

http://www.iol.co.za/sport/fifa-respects-qatars-stance-over-alcohol-issue-2088916

Well if this is any indication FIFA is more or less capitulating to the Qataris on the alcohol issue. While it's not official, I suspect that FIFA is probably already negotiating to compensate Budweiser probably telling them something along the lines of "Look this is a one time deal. We can't take the WC away over this despite the Qataris going back on their word. We'll compensate you nicely for the inconvenience."

• 6 months later...

Adding more fuel against Qatar WC, Saudi Arabia, Bahrein, UAE and Egypt close ties with Qatar: https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2017-06-05/saudi-led-alliance-cuts-qatar-ties-as-gulf-crisis-escalates?utm_content=politics&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-politics

Four Arab countries led by Saudi Arabia cut diplomatic ties with Qatar and moved to close off access to the Gulf country, escalating a crisis that started over its relationship with Iran and its support of the Muslim Brotherhood.

The governments of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Egypt said in statements they will suspend air and sea travel to and from Qatar. Saudi Arabia will shut land crossings with its neighbor, according to the official Saudi Press Agency, potentially depriving the emirate of imports.

Saudi Arabia cited Qatar’s support of “terrorist groups aiming to destabilize the region,” including the Muslim Brotherhood, Islamic State and al-Qaeda. It accused Qatar of supporting “Iranian-backed terrorist groups” operating in the kingdom’s eastern province as well as Bahrain.

Saudi Arabia, along with Bahrain and the U.A.E., gave Qatari diplomats 48 hours to leave.

19 hours ago, Roger87 said:

Could this be the end of Qatar 2022?  Will FIFA act now to perhaps remove 2022 from Qatar??   Roger, I think you mean "cut" ties with Qatar rather than "close" ties . . And all this on the heels of the Closing of the so-called "Islamic Solidarity Games" in Baku which (I just watched the entire Closing video last night) closed with a so-called "Unity" concert!  LOL!!  If you can't trust the so-called "conservative" Arab/muslim countries, who can you trust?  :lol:  Israel must be gloating!! 

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Ikarus360 said:

I find this adorable considering half of these countries are also supporting extremism one way or another. Is like a group of murderers acussing each other of who killed the most people.

Yes, it's basically the right thing, done by the wrong people.