Qatar 2022

arwebb

Ah, the IHF...another "corrupt bunch of weasels". These withdrawals may even help it saving face by letting Australia (that had rightfully qualified but was kicked out for obscure reasons to let non-qualified handball super power Germany in) and Iceland (that would have been first substitute instead of Germany anyway) take part after all.

• Like 1

Ah, the IHF...another "corrupt bunch of weasels". These withdrawals may even help it saving face by letting Australia (that had rightfully qualified but was kicked out for obscure reasons to let non-qualified handball super power Germany in) and Iceland (that would have been first substitute instead of Germany anyway) take part after all.

Withdrawing Australia's place was so strange. I understand removing Oceania's automatic qualification spot and/or forcing Oceania to merge with either Africa or Asia. But rescinding the spot in the men's (but not the women's) Worlds after the fact? Coincidentally after Germany fails to qualify?

Ya, that doesn't pass the smell test.

Withdrawing Australia's place was so strange. I understand removing Oceania's automatic qualification spot and/or forcing Oceania to merge with either Africa or Asia. But rescinding the spot in the men's (but not the women's) Worlds after the fact? Coincidentally after Germany fails to qualify?

Ya, that doesn't pass the smell test.

Yes, as a German I felt ashamed by the fact the German federation DHB played along there, knowing well it was against the rules.

I'm disgusted, but not surprised. It's not like a FIFA report was gonna unearth corruption. If anything, this just makes it even clearer that the Qatar decision was dodgy :angry: As for the FA, well, no problem with those findings, no surprise at all (but I suspect England weren't the only ones lining old Jack's pockets)

The FBI can't prosecute foreign FIFA members, but they should be able to seize American sponsorship money headed to FIFA, and perhaps prevent future world cups from being broadcast in the country.

Qatar is a country with 187,000 citizens building stadiums that hold 450,000 people in total for the world cup.

Some people may view the way this has turned out as a bad thing, but I honestly think twisting in the wind while its sponsorship money is threatened, the world's most powerful clubs are enraged and the fans and athletes are on the verge of boycotting their big show is precisely what FIFA needs.

The FBI can't prosecute foreign FIFA members, but they should be able to seize American sponsorship money headed to FIFA, and perhaps prevent future world cups from being broadcast in the country.

Qatar is a country with 187,000 citizens building stadiums that hold 450,000 people in total for the world cup.

Some people may view the way this has turned out as a bad thing, but I honestly think twisting in the wind while its sponsorship money is threatened, the world's most powerful clubs are enraged and the fans and athletes are on the verge of boycotting their big show is precisely what FIFA needs.

Well, the whole FBI thingie will be like when they wanted to subpoena Samaranch re the Salt Lake City bidding scandal. In the end, it will probably amount to nothing because as you said, the guilty members will NOT make themselves available to the FBI just as 2 of them did NOT make themselves available to Michael Garcia. The blackest day in football history was when Blatter had the eureka idea of holding TWO awarding contests together; and for them to allow a dungheap like Qatar to advance.

It's Fifa...nothing surprising.

STILL, at least we'll see some amazing stadiums being built. :)

Gotta find something positive.

Stadiums at the expense of nepalese migrant workers slaves. (thanks fifa!)

One does wonder how cost benefit analysis works in autocracies.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the midst of all the controversy surrounding the Qatar WC there's another potentially big problem for FIFA, what if Israel qualifies. It's not out of the question. The Israelis have improved. Yes Qatar has reassured FIFA Israel would be allowed to compete if they qualified but would they really? I could envision the following scenario unfolding.

Israel qualifies then when the team arrives the Israelis are denied entry because of"visa issues." FIFA would protest but they'd have no power to convince the Qataris to reverse their decision while Qatar would counter this is a immigration matter and none of FIFA's business. All FIFA could do would be to fine the Qatari football federation and probably ban the Qataris from competition for a while though it wouldn't be during the World Cup that year. Meanwhile FIFA would likely apologize to Israel and as a consolation tell them they would be given an automatic berth at the 2016 World Cup.

Of course I also suspect that during 2022 WC qualifying that FIFA will likely inform officials refereeing Israeli matches to be as biased as possible to prevent Israel from qualifying because of the potential controversy.

I mean the 2026 World Cup not 2016

In the midst of all the controversy surrounding the Qatar WC there's another potentially big problem for FIFA, what if Israel qualifies. It's not out of the question. The Israelis have improved. Yes Qatar has reassured FIFA Israel would be allowed to compete if they qualified but would they really? I could envision the following scenario unfolding.

Israel qualifies then when the team arrives the Israelis are denied entry because of"visa issues." FIFA would protest but they'd have no power to convince the Qataris to reverse their decision while Qatar would counter this is a immigration matter and none of FIFA's business. All FIFA could do would be to fine the Qatari football federation and probably ban the Qataris from competition for a while though it wouldn't be during the World Cup that year. Meanwhile FIFA would likely apologize to Israel and as a consolation tell them they would be given an automatic berth at the 2016 World Cup.

Of course I also suspect that during 2022 WC qualifying that FIFA will likely inform officials refereeing Israeli matches to be as biased as possible to prevent Israel from qualifying because of the potential controversy.

I mean the 2026 World Cup not 2016

But it's all in the award contract. And if Doha got 2024 SOG, then that would be revoked from them. Then it's just more of a very biased, prejudiced world -- and good, conscionable nations should have nothing to do with FIFA and the Gulf sheikdoms.

• 3 weeks later...
World Cup 2022: European clubs want Qatar event in May/June

The 2022 World Cup in Qatar should be played between 5 May and 4 June rather than in the winter, according to Europe's biggest clubs and leagues.

Qatar was awarded the event in 2010, with leading Fifa figures subsequently backing a proposed winter tournament.

But a proposal by the European Club Association (ECA) and European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) says it could be played safely at the start of the summer.

A decision is expected by March 2015.

World governing body Fifa announced last month that the most likely dates for the tournament would be either January/February or November/December 2022, with the organisation's medical chief warning that temperatures in the Middle East state between May and September posed a "highly critical risk".

But the ECA and EPFL - an association of 21 European leagues - believe their new proposal demonstrates how the tournament could be played in May and June without putting the health of players, supporters and officials at risk, with cooling systems deployed in stadiums.

They argue that their proposal would have the least impact on the 2021-22 or 2022-23 club fixture calendars, which would need to be seriously revised if either of the options favoured by Fifa is ratified.

It is also claimed that a May/June World Cup would have no impact on confederation tournaments or the Fifa Club World Cup, and limited impact on Uefa club competitions while not clashing with the Winter Olympics, or the Muslim holy month of Ramadan which finishes on 2 May.

BBC

• 4 weeks later...

But it's all in the award contract. And if Doha got 2024 SOG, then that would be revoked from them. Then it's just more of a very biased, prejudiced world -- and good, conscionable nations should have nothing to do with FIFA and the Gulf sheikdoms.

I highly doubt Doha would get the 2024 Olympics. Really though, what would stop Qatar from preventing the Israel scenario especially if they pass it off as a "visa issue?" If Qatar wanted to prevent Israel from competing by denying them entry so close to the actual start of the tournament, they could do it and FIFA would be powerless to do anything about it. It's not like they could force Qatar to allow Israel entry. Host contract? The Qatari spin machine would play it off as a separate issue and one not related to the WC.