Qatar 2022

arwebb

Athletico Madrid has more hardware than that in 9 years. Hell Man City sucked for most of those 9 years and has two league titles.

Man City didn't earn Trophies like most Teams, Man City and Chelsea buy Trophies. Fact. Both Teams are owned by corrupt business men from Russia and the Middle East.

I don't know much about the Premier League, but that sounds an awful lot like claims from people here who don't like the New York Yankees.

Can someone with a little better perspective (meaning someone other than Tony E Loves Saying Fact) offer up a better commentary on this one?

Also, Tony.. might want to consider changing your signature less everyone who reads your posts (which is probably not that many people anymore) thinks you still believe Oslo will host the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics from London, England

Good thing Emirates Stadium was not built with Middle East money. Double standards, Tony...

No not really.

Arsenal is an extremely well run football club. The money it has invested in its team, its stadium, and gained from its sponsorships, was all earnt from their success on the pitch in the late 90s and early 2000s. They were able to plan, build and reap the benefits of a new large stadium, something no other major English club has done in the last two decades. And the Emirates sponsorship was at market value (in fact, it's generally recgonised that it was below market value, since the club wanted more money upfront so sold themselves a little short.) The fact that the company is from the Middle East is neither here nor there. It is a bona fide sponsorship.

Man City, on the other hand, was a medium-sized club until Abu Dhabi bought them out. They were in a reasonable position having secured what was the Commonwealth Games stadium in Manchester as their home, but then nearly went bankrupt under the ownership of Thaksin Shinawatra. After that they were bought by Abu Dhabi, basically. Sheikh Mansour set about spending his personal fortune on the team, and has invested over a billion pounds to date. They secured a recent sponsorship with Etihad Airline worth about £400m, well above market value, but really this cannot be seen as a normal business deal as Etihad is owned by the same people as Man City (very similar to PSG's dodgy deal with the Qatar Tourism Authority). They're basically playing Championship Manager on cheat-mode in real life.

Arsenal is a well run and generally successful club which happens to have a sponsorship deal with a Middle Eastern company. Man City is a rich Sheikh's play thing - a rich Sheikh who happens to also own a Middle Eastern airline which just happens to sponsor his football club. Convenient huh?

Even as a Spurs fan, I know which business model and which route to success (if there's to be success) is more admirable.

Tony truly is a unique young man. I feel for the parents.

You know what; he's more or less correct in this case. I would dispute Wenger being the best manager in the world but nevertheless you have to be pretty good to stay at a top English club for 18 years. And on Chelsea and Man City he's not far wrong either.

Play the ball, not the man.

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

Good thing Emirates Stadium was not built with Middle East money. Double standards, Tony...

It's not Double Standards. Arsenal has been one of the Best and Top Football Clubs around the World since Arsenal began. Arsene Wenger is a mastermind of Football.

I don't know much about the Premier League, but that sounds an awful lot like claims from people here who don't like the New York Yankees.

Can someone with a little better perspective (meaning someone other than Tony E Loves Saying Fact) offer up a better commentary on this one?

Also, Tony.. might want to consider changing your signature less everyone who reads your posts (which is probably not that many people anymore) thinks you still believe Oslo will host the 2022 Winter Olympics and Paralympics from London, England

Hmm. I actually do know alot about Football. Football is my strongest subject.

Tony truly is a unique young man. I feel for the parents.

You don't know Me. Actually, I feel for Yours for that matter, they would be discusted how You treat some People.

No not really.

Arsenal is an extremely well run football club. The money it has invested in its team, its stadium, and gained from its sponsorships, was all earnt from their success on the pitch in the late 90s and early 2000s. They were able to plan, build and reap the benefits of a new large stadium, something no other major English club has done in the last two decades. And the Emirates sponsorship was at market value (in fact, it's generally recgonised that it was below market value, since the club wanted more money upfront so sold themselves a little short.) The fact that the company is from the Middle East is neither here nor there. It is a bone fide sponsorship.

Man City, on the other hand, was a medium-sized club until Abu Dhabi bought them out. They were in a reasonable position having secured what was the Commonwealth Games stadium in Manchester as their home. But Sheikh Mansour set about spending his personal fortune on the team, and has invested over a billion pounds to date. They secured a recent sponsorship with Etihad Airline worth about £400m, well above market value, but really this cannot be seen as a normal business deal as Etihad is owned by the same people as Man City (very similar to PSG's dodgy deal with the Qatar Tourism Authority). They're basically playing Championship Manager on cheat-mode in real life.

Arsenal is a well run and generally successful club which happens to have a sponsorship deal with a Middle Eastern company. Man City is a rich Sheikh's play thing - a rich Sheikh who happens to also own a Middle Eastern airline which just happens to sponsor his football club. Convenient huh?

Even as a Spurs fan, I know which business model and which route to success (if there's to be success) is more admirable.

You know what; he's more or less correct in this case. I would dispute Wenger being the best manager in the world but nevertheless you have to be pretty good to stay at a top English club for 18 years. And on Chelsea and Man City he's not far wrong either.

Play the ball, not the man.

I appreciate that Rob, especially from a Spurs Fan, honestly, I appreciate it.

Difference between Arsenal's link and Man City's Link to the Middle East is, is that Arsenal have EARNED and been on Top since the Club began in 1886. Man City have BROUGHT there way to success.

There's not as much revenue sharing in the Premier League as there is in MLB now (although they do share the league's television revenue), and there are a number of ways around the Financial Fair Play rules, so teams in Europe can buy their way to success pretty easily. The transfer system is basically the same as what the Yankees did in the 1950's when they were buying players from other teams.

Interestingly one of the ways Manchester CIty is trying to get around UEFA's financial fair play rules is the MLS team they've set up with . . . the New York Yankees.

I'm not certain why we in the US regard selling players as immoral, while trading players and free agency (or free transfers) are not. It's probably due to our view of competition and sportsmanship, since the American public is similarly outraged by "tanking" to improve player development.

You do know you aren't actually on the team, don't you?

You obviously don't know what it's like to be a Big Football Fan. I have supported Arsenal all My Life. True Fans like Myself say about our Team as We etc.

You do know you aren't actually on the team, don't you?

teeheee... :)

You obviously don't know what it's like to be a Big Football Fan. I have supported Arsenal all My Life. True Fans like Myself say about our Team as We etc.

...and the enevitable reply... ;)

teeheee... :)

...and the enevitable reply... ;)

Just like You replied to Me. Thought I was blocked?

Anyway, I'm a massive Arsenal Fan, always have been, always will be.

Qatar World Cup games could finish as late as 3.30am under one proposal made by a senior football official.

Harold Mayne-Nicholls, who is considering challenging Sepp Blatter for the Fifa presidency, said the event could still be staged in the summer.

But the ex-Chilean football chief said some games would have to start as late as 1am to avoid the worst of the heat.

"You could play the first games at 7pm, the second games at 10pm and then the third matches at 1am," he said.

"The weather would still be very warm at night, but the sun is not there and that could help.

"I know it's not easy. We'd sleep during the day and work during the night.

"It's only an idea. You'd have to investigate a little bit more.

"I have never played in Qatar in May. Let's organise a youth tournament, invite countries from all the confederations, and let's use this time to see if it works.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29697271

It's almost as if they didn't think this through.

• 3 weeks later...

UEFA chief Platini prepared to move Champions League

BURTON-ON-TRENT (United Kingdom): UEFA president Michel Platini said on Wednesday that he is prepared to stage the 2022 Champions League final in June in order to accommodate that year's World Cup in Qatar.

Amid concerns about soaring summer temperatures in the Gulf state, a Fifa taskforce is currently assessing the feasibility of moving the 2022 World Cup from its traditional mid-year slot.

While world governing body Fifa would prefer the tournament to take place in November and December Platini is pushing for a January-February slot, and he says re-arranging the flagship Champions League, the final of which usually takes place in May, would not be a problem.

"As the president of the confederation, I have no problem," the 59-year-old former France star told journalists during a briefing at England's St George's Park training base in Burton-on-Trent, central England.

"Because it is not a problem for the competition of the Champions League, we can move the dates in 2022 and have two semi-finals and the final in June, so that is not a problem.

"Everybody speaks about the clubs and the leagues, but if it is in November and December, then you lose six dates of the national teams. But we are not so far away (from an agreement) with Fifa."

A decision on the dates of the 2022 World Cup is due to be announced by Fifa's executive committee in March next year.

However, a problem with the January February dates is Fifa have promised the International Olympic Committee (IOC) they would not clash with that year's WInter Olympics which are programmed for then and something IOC president Thomas Bach said earlier this week he expected them to honour.

AFP

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/champions-league/top-stories/UEFA-chief-Platini-prepared-to-move-Champions-League/articleshow/45050112.cms

However, a problem with the January February dates is Fifa have promised the International Olympic Committee (IOC) they would not clash with that year's WInter Olympics which are programmed for then and something IOC president Thomas Bach said earlier this week he expected them to honour.

He expects them to honor the agreement because.... FIFA is such an honorable organization?